• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ships] Merchant Ships.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where the best places to find them?

I'm having a hard time finding them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often come across them in the Moonglow - Sea Market area, sometimes east of Moonglow and sometimes south of the market. If I were actually looking for them I'd use tracking in that area.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I realy start to like to plunder them. I got more High end ore and leather from a few ships then i can mine in several hours . :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you tackle them? Popular opinion declares them to be not cost effective because of the cannon requirements for sinking them.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just provoke them on each other, then finish of the final one. Using Heavy cannon balls about 15 to get on the other ship. I'm shooting just 2 cannons at the time when all crew is death.​

And what costs?
I can mine about 1500-2000 Saltpeter in a hour with a 2000+ Luck suit. :)
And we get cannonballs and heavy powder charges back as loot from the ships.​

I got more then 1500 of each high colored ingots and leather and several 100s of rare wood from 6 ships. For me thats worth it more. oh and Necromancers already have lots of bad karma so no need to worry about that. :)

Just a small portion of one ship:​

Loot from 2 ships:​

For me its worth it but everyone should see it for themself. :)

D

DVDA

I usually crash into merchant ships between dagger island and moonglow...

P.S. do you lose karma & gain counts for killing the merchants since they are blue?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually crash into merchant ships between dagger island and moonglow...

P.S. do you lose karma & gain counts for killing the merchants since they are blue?

You loose karma but no counts or i would be red by now. :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just provoke them on each other, then finish of the final one.​

Do you mean provoke 2 merchant ships one against the other or do you mean to provoke the NPCs on board of a single Merchant Ship to fight each other till the last one stands ?

If you mean provoking the individual NPCs against each other on a single Merchant Ship, how do you kill the last one ? Board the ship and kill it in fight ?

That is, do you use cannons at all ??​

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Provoke the crew, finish off the last man standing - The summoned daemon you see in the picture probably has that task. As for cannons
Using Heavy cannon balls about 15 to get on the other ship. I'm shooting just 2 cannons at the time when all crew is death.
Don't use the cannons till the crew is dead.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to use the cannons to damage the ship or you can not board it.
Just kill the crew first. (I always provoke everything on the captain.) I do cast on the crew while they fighting each other to speed up things. They have a nasty habbit to heal themself a lot. :) 85 Provoking was even more then enough to provoke them with just a little failing.

Sometimes ship move when you next to it. Just keep following it slowly while they kill each other. When the last crew member is death shoot at the ship and the ship stops moving then you can easely finish the ship off.

I use a summoned daemon to help me finish the last . But any other pet would do fine.

V

Valek Typhoon

My main course since High Sea's has been Merchants and Pirates - my record so far is twelve a day. The best place regardless of server; is the sea east of Moonglow to the top of Ice Island for merchants - Pirates seem to spawn directly off the coast of Jhelom and to Serpents Bay. Merchants can be found around the Pirates as well.

Always scuttle a ship first before you kill the crew or you won't be able to board the ship (there is [or was] a bug out there that kept you from boarding a ship if you killed the crew first). - I primarily use heavy grapeshot as my main weapon - now on pirates I have found that if I do a quick switch out of a cannon to light; and use frost cannonballs the Pirate himself takes more damage.

(Frost Cannonballs / Fire and Lightning are rewards from the Pirate Quest.)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Always scuttle a ship first before you kill the crew or you won't be able to board the ship (there is [or was] a bug out there that kept you from boarding a ship if you killed the crew first).

Now, this is confusing.

Some posts say kill all crew as first and THEN board after shooting the ship a bit with cannons when no more crew is there, now you say instead do NOT kill all crew before scuttling the ship or the ship would not be boardable.......

Now, which is which ??

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kill the crew first. If there was a bug it was fixed. :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Merchant ships now have copper wires too as loot! :)

So far 10 on each Merchant ship. Easier then stealing. ;)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, after saying they were going to make thieves useful in the creation of the distillery, the devs are determined to make copper wire really common and put thieves out of business... yay... :mad:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not all Merchant ships have copper wire. but the ones that got it had 10 on it.

Still takes a lot of time to prepare the ships and find the merchants. I'm not going to stop stealing wires with my thiefs. :)

L

Lilyth of RK

Think it was said, I was skimming a bit towards the end. Merchants are up near daggar isle over to the server boundary and down to the sea market. A few Orc ships are around but they don't have pirates on them just an Orc Crew. Pirates are down in the jhelom area you will hit a merchant or two there as well. Is really great when the pirates kill off the merchants for you. (not to mention kinda fun to watch)

and yes on Merchants kill crew then fire once the ship stops and you can scuttle at your leisure. w/ 0 Ship damage.

.. has anyone else noticed the Bard 1st mates seem to be missing recently?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both. However I would suggest hunting them in Tokuno. Many maore in the Tok waters.

Tectop

Journeyman
Any pure mages have any luck killing a crew on a merchant or pirate ship and if so wha t tactics are best

Ty

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use an archer but if I was gonna go pure mage...I guess I'd just throw some Evs and invis, at least for a pirate ship. The merchant ship crew should be easy as you will only be fighting them one at a time.

Tectop

Journeyman
TE="Varingian, post: 2699985, member: 159269"]I use an archer but if I was gonna go pure mage...I guess I'd just throw some Evs and invis, at least for a pirate ship. The merchant ship crew should be easy as you will only be fighting them one at a time.[/QUOTE]
Ty, I was able to find a couple pirate ships and was able to kill crew till I got down to the dread pirate and could never even scratch him after hitting him with all I had for 10 mins.I finally give up and drove off.what is best way to kill the dreads solo?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here again I use an archer. The Dread Captains have a ridiculous amount of HPs and pretty much any template solo is going to take awhile. Just guessing here but perhaps the idea was to encourage cooperative/group encounter. If you have access to Mysticism try dropping a RC on him. When I am in the market for Orc Ship parts from the pirate quests I dual client. Once my archer has engaged I mana dump with a mage mystic. This also doubles your shot at Orc Pirate ship part drops when you turn in the captured Pirate. If you play on LS I'll be happy to go hunting with you and help you find a strategy that works for you.

Tectop

Journeyman
Ty again for your help.My mage does have mysticism but when I tryto cast that or a EV it wwon't let me cast that on there deck. Says something like the deck can't except that spell

Thanks again in advance