• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mega-Super-Peerless Monsters, PvP Areas, and Crafting

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Areas of the Abyss will be Player vs. Player, serving as battlezones where players are set against the denizens of the Abyss and other adventurers alike. Expect new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty including the Medusa, Primeval Lich, and the Stygian Dragon."

Will areas of the new land be inaccessable without going through the PvP areas? Getting my PvM play ruined by uber-geared PvPers would be a definite reason to not invest in UO:SA. I play a game to have fun myself, not be fun for others who have thier fun ruining others fun.

New monsters of unparalleled difficulty. If thats what the new dungeon is based on then I'll pass. There is a point where challenge gets ridiculous and UO passed that with paragons. Needing a crowd with uber gear and weapons to beat a monster in an hour long combat is not going to interest many players, though most of those not thrilled by such play were probably among the crowd that has left UO.

What is there for Crafters in UO:SA? Will any new crafting require rare ingredients from the new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty like ML's crafting additions did with it's peerless monsters? I bought ML when I returned to UO last November and have found little of ML that was worth paying for.

What is there in UO:SA for players who enjoy PvM, not PvP. Don't care for hunting over-powered mega hit-point monsters, and just want to play the game for entertainment after a long day?

I payed for UO:ML but don't play much beyond UO:SE. UO:ML didn't add anything fun. Will UO:SA?

C

Cloak&Dagger

"Areas of the Abyss will be Player vs. Player, serving as battlezones where players are set against the denizens of the Abyss and other adventurers alike. Expect new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty including the Medusa, Primeval Lich, and the Stygian Dragon."

Will areas of the new land be inaccessable without going through the PvP areas? Getting my PvM play ruined by uber-geared PvPers would be a definite reason to not invest in UO:SA. I play a game to have fun myself, not be fun for others who have thier fun ruining others fun.
Don't think anyone who knows this information would be willing to give it out, it is covered in the NDA. Would have to check for hints in the official postings.

New monsters of unparalleled difficulty. If thats what the new dungeon is based on then I'll pass. There is a point where challenge gets ridiculous and UO passed that with paragons. Needing a crowd with uber gear and weapons to beat a monster in an hour long combat is not going to interest many players, though most of those not thrilled by such play were probably among the crowd that has left UO.
Paragons are not so challenging =\. Also have not come across anything that takes that long to kill, even most solo players can kill everything in game in less than an hour.

What is there for Crafters in UO:SA? Will any new crafting require rare ingredients from the new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty like ML's crafting additions did with it's peerless monsters? I bought ML when I returned to UO last November and have found little of ML that was worth paying for.
Most of the new features of SA are catered to crafting, Everything will require ingredients from current peerless', and I think they stated you would need to hunt in the Abyss dungeon for some of the other ingredients, again covered by the NDA so no one can tell you to much aside from what you can find in the official postings.

What is there in UO:SA for players who enjoy PvM, not PvP. Don't care for hunting over-powered mega hit-point monsters, and just want to play the game for entertainment after a long day?

I payed for UO:ML but don't play much beyond UO:SE. UO:ML didn't add anything fun. Will UO:SA?
I guess it depends how you define entertainment, there are lots of people who enjoy doing the peerlesses that ML introduced so I would say it is safe to assume there are lots of people who will enjoy SA. If you don't like ML I would say it is safe to assume you wont like SA, but again NDA so I doubt you will find much detail on this matter.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1298042 said:
Most of the new features of SA are catered to crafting, Everything will require ingredients from current peerless', and I think they stated you would need to hunt in the Abyss dungeon for some of the other ingredients, again covered by the NDA so no one can tell you to much aside from what you can find in the official postings.
This is my biggest concern, that to train up and use the new imbuing skill will also require resources dropped from hard monsters in addition to gems recived from mining and lumberjacking. It rules out those players who do not have powerhouse characters decked in all the latest arties.

Just as the ingredients for the hitching post and the bookcase. Both these two could have been made into items that a crafter could make and sell steadily. Instead they are either rare or used for purely deco as the ingredients are so difficult to get.

I like the way one makes a runed switch. Lots of different skills and tools used, but evenutally the ingredients are not hard to find.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please bear in mind that people who write 'press releases' write about the bits they consider to be 'exciting'. Look back at the blurb for ML and compare it to the reality, not just the peerless monsters and dungeons, but the quests, Heartwood, crafting recipes, coloured woods etc, etc.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please bear in mind that people who write 'press releases' write about the bits they consider to be 'exciting'. Look back at the blurb for ML and compare it to the reality, not just the peerless monsters and dungeons, but the quests, Heartwood, crafting recipes, coloured woods etc, etc.
I've been looking at the UO:ML I bought and what it added. The PR for SA is much the same as the PR for ML so I have come to expect much the same from SA.

Maybe the PR people should post some info for the rest of us. Let us know what there will be for the non-uber gear crowd, which at one time, was probably the bulk of the UO player-base.

There are some people into extreme sports but most people like their sports less extreme. Keep the Most in mind.

C

Cloak&Dagger

This is my biggest concern, that to train up and use the new imbuing skill will also require resources dropped from hard monsters in addition to gems recived from mining and lumberjacking. It rules out those players who do not have powerhouse characters decked in all the latest arties.

Just as the ingredients for the hitching post and the bookcase. Both these two could have been made into items that a crafter could make and sell steadily. Instead they are either rare or used for purely deco as the ingredients are so difficult to get.

I like the way one makes a runed switch. Lots of different skills and tools used, but evenutally the ingredients are not hard to find.
Hmm, to train the skill....I never thought about that. >.<

I do not feel it takes "powerhouse characters decked in all the latest arties" to do the current peerless monsters, a group perhaps which I realize for some seems to be taboo. Of course the "one item per monster" thing does sort of make it discouraging when you think about it in this manner, but perhaps the system will work decently enough to be viable.

Still not sure about the training part tho >.<

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1302713 said:
Hmm, to train the skill....I never thought about that. >.<

Still not sure about the training part tho >.<
I believe the Poster is referring to the fact (or is it?) that you can only train Imbue to 75 skill by unraveling, after that you need to actually Imbue items, which will incur great outlays in ingredients, bothe rare and mundane. To get to the goal of 120 skill will be a very time consuming and expensive project , so I agree with Poster. I cannot devote time to Imbue AND hunt for vital resources. Hopefully, the Hunters will sell the ingredients at fair price if that is the case.

Or one can always rely on Guild/Alliance. One or two members become Artificers, and the rest hunt the "Big Game". T:danceb:he "It takes a village" concept:)

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the Poster is referring to the fact (or is it?) that you can only train Imbue to 75 skill by unraveling, after that you need to actually Imbue items, which will incur great outlays in ingredients, bothe rare and mundane.
At 25 skill you no longer gain by unravelling. See this quoted from the sticky above:

Skill Gain
Q: Will players get skill gains from unraveling, or will players need to actually apply a mod to an item to get a skill gain?
A: Unraveling will allow an Artificer to gain up to 25.0 skill. To gain the rest of the way, she will have to imbue item properties to gain skill.

Q: Will artificers be able to gain the imbuing skill by casting mysticism spells that use imbuing to determine their power?
A: No.

Q: Will we be able to start a new character with 50 imbuing and mysticism?
A: Yes.
So that means that in order to gain from 50, if you start with a new character, you need loads and loads of resources. Where the monster loot comes into play I don`t know. In order to get a relic while unravelling the item needs to have min 420% mods on it. I have been looting like crazy and I have not seen a single piece that even comes close. I think another poster mentioned that the best way to get an item that high is to use a gold runic, creating weapon of iron.

I cannot devote time to Imbue AND hunt for vital resources. Hopefully, the Hunters will sell the ingredients at fair price if that is the case.
I am very certain that that will not be the case. Resources sell for far more than what you can sell the finished product at. Just look at the peerless loot. If you base your crafting on bying then selling the finished product you will lose gold. The only way to make a profit there is to gather the resources yourself. Most of the buyers I would think are players wanting to make one for themselves.

So, if the rare monsterloot will be a required ingredient in gaining the skill, not only creating the uber weapon/armour when GM`ed, I for one will be pretty miffed.

Using rare resources like gems from mining and lumberjacking is fine I think, as it doesn`t involve a crafter to enter combat mode.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I believe the Poster is referring to the fact (or is it?) that you can only train Imbue to 75 skill by unraveling, after that you need to actually Imbue items, which will incur great outlays in ingredients, bothe rare and mundane. To get to the goal of 120 skill will be a very time consuming and expensive project , so I agree with Poster. I cannot devote time to Imbue AND hunt for vital resources. Hopefully, the Hunters will sell the ingredients at fair price if that is the case.

Or one can always rely on Guild/Alliance. One or two members become Artificers, and the rest hunt the "Big Game". T:danceb:he "It takes a village" concept:)
Well what I meant by "I do not know" is I really have no "answer" for it, when I originally posted in here about it I had not thought about training, so it was not in my calculation as to how the expansion was working. But yes again, I do agree tho I do not mind...But it is a slight bit...I am not sure about what the word to use is, but...To need the ingredients to train is just blah :p

C

Cloak&Dagger

So that means that in order to gain from 50, if you start with a new character, you need loads and loads of resources. Where the monster loot comes into play I don`t know. In order to get a relic while unravelling the item needs to have min 420% mods on it. I have been looting like crazy and I have not seen a single piece that even comes close. I think another poster mentioned that the best way to get an item that high is to use a gold runic, creating weapon of iron.
It is 400%, and keep in mind you may not need relics for anything, well obviously you will need them for something but it is more than possible that you could get away with out ever using one in your training. On the other hand I find items with 5 props often not even from high end monsters either. I have gotten something like 30 rings and bracelets with 400% intensity on them just from killing things in tokuno (I assume mostly from rune beetles since the other thing I do the most is the champ spawn, but could be from other things like bake's and tuski wolves x.x) Of course 30 is not really a lot for almost a month of this event....But hopefully will not need that many that often. (back to statement two about not needing the relics to train :p)

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1303083 said:
It is 400%, and keep in mind you may not need relics for anything, well obviously you will need them for something but it is more than possible that you could get away with out ever using one in your training.
Yeah - same way you don`t need valorite to train smithing or barbed leather to train tailoring or frostwood to train carpentry. Hopefully what you need is loads and loads of the more common items.

I have gotten something like 30 rings and bracelets with 400% intensity on them just from killing things in tokuno (I assume mostly from rune beetles since the other thing I do the most is the champ spawn, but could be from other things like bake's and tuski wolves x.x)
Then you have 30 more than I do :)

F

Fink

The PR angle is pretty typical fare for the genre. You see those ads for free browser based rpg's "fight and level up!". Great, the two things that interest me the least! Is that all you have? Heh..

I'd like to know that these vital ingredients aren't going to be locked up inside something that's virtually impossible to conquer. I can do group hunting, but not if 20 or so people are needed for one person to walk off with the goods. Basically I can play crafter for my guild, and intend to, but I think it's unfair to expect everyone to fund one person's character.

I love the idea of imbuing; it puts the power back in the hands of the crafter instead of the randomness of runics. But I don't want to spend 95% of my time farming ingredients, at least not while I'm training up.

C

Cloak&Dagger

The PR angle is pretty typical fare for the genre. You see those ads for free browser based rpg's "fight and level up!". Great, the two things that interest me the least! Is that all you have? Heh..

I'd like to know that these vital ingredients aren't going to be locked up inside something that's virtually impossible to conquer. I can do group hunting, but not if 20 or so people are needed for one person to walk off with the goods. Basically I can play crafter for my guild, and intend to, but I think it's unfair to expect everyone to fund one person's character.

I love the idea of imbuing; it puts the power back in the hands of the crafter instead of the randomness of runics. But I don't want to spend 95% of my time farming ingredients, at least not while I'm training up.
I think it would be best to hope they change the way the ingredients drop, I of course am comparing it to the current system. Perhaps change it so that they drop in side the players bag, and if one player gets the drop every one who did damage gets the same drop? Or at least gets a drop but rolls which ingredients they get? Sure there might need to be some more checks and balances so they are not over produced, but under produced is just as bad.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let us know what there will be for the non-uber gear crowd, which at one time, was probably the bulk of the UO player-base.
My answer doesn't really concern SA. But my general impression is that the developers do not plan to abolish the necessity of uber-gear, but rather to make it more available to the common player. Which would have a similar effect.

I share your disgust about UO having become an item-centered game.

T

Teiwaz

I am one of those players who just isn't good a fighting in general and even if I had uber-artie-gear I'd still prolly die more than most ,that said....I have been a crafter in UO since I started playing in 1999 and I prefer the crafter lifestyle ,but do hunt with warrior chars at times to wind down from mondain things like mining and lumberjacking to name a few ,but atleast I'm working for the ingrediants as a crafter not a warrior and I think the reward for those that like to do peerless or champ should only be the arties and or high end loot plus gold & powerscrolls ,but not any ingrediants for crafting as they already got their reward as warriors with previous mentioned items ,the ingrediants for crafters shouldn't be that hard to get in relation to doing battle to achieve them ,they should be able to achive them via a modem of back breaking work (i.e mining & lumberjacking) IMO. :)

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am one of those players who just isn't good a fighting in general and even if I had uber-artie-gear I'd still prolly die more than most ,that said....I have been a crafter in UO since I started playing in 1999 and I prefer the crafter lifestyle ,but do hunt with warrior chars at times to wind down from mondain things like mining and lumberjacking to name a few ,but atleast I'm working for the ingrediants as a crafter not a warrior and I think the reward for those that like to do peerless or champ should only be the arties and or high end loot plus gold & powerscrolls ,but not any ingrediants for crafting as they already got their reward as warriors with previous mentioned items ,the ingrediants for crafters shouldn't be that hard to get in relation to doing battle to achieve them ,they should be able to achive them via a modem of back breaking work (i.e mining & lumberjacking) IMO. :)
I sort of always have to take the following stance on things like this.

The current system tries to implement player interaction, and community. Warriors and fighting types get the ingredients, need something made and ask a crafter to use those ingredients to make the item they need, for a *minor* fee.

Granted...My above example is not what ensues most of the time, but I still feel more systems like the one I described would be better than making every char a solo-player.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be nice if they added the ingrediants to the bod system from gems to the peerless types.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be nice if they added the ingrediants to the bod system from gems to the peerless types.
I like the idea. As much as I despise the BOD system over the scarcity of runic tools it could become useful if ingredients could be gotten *fairly easily* thru it. $15 a month to make only four or five items because the ingredients are so rare, hard to get, or expensive on vendors is getting to be a waste of money.

How about just charging us 50 cents a day for days we log in? With the crafting ingredient system we have, crafters could play for a couple dollars a month.

Heck, I primarily log into the game lately to check vendor stocks of ordinary, nonpeerless ingredient items and to tend plants. Maybe an hour total. Not much else to do for a crafting type because the good item ingredients are made so rare.

Having fun playing an Adventurer is a bit difficult when most monsters can prevent you healing and wipe out your 120 hps with three rapid-fire spells or one or two melee hits. Namely the moderate or high level paragons, the peerless, and the soon to arrive more overpowered monsters of SA.

B

Brak

I sort of always have to take the following stance on things like this.

The current system tries to implement player interaction, and community. Warriors and fighting types get the ingredients, need something made and ask a crafter to use those ingredients to make the item they need, for a *minor* fee.

Granted...My above example is not what ensues most of the time, but I still feel more systems like the one I described would be better than making every char a solo-player.[/QUOTE]

If you want the game to have a good community then you need to revisit the days of Brit forge. Back in the good ol days :)P) people came to the smithys to ask them to make an item, it was extremely rare that someone would bring their own materials. In fact in my admittidly short time there before the curse of AOS, I don't think I had one person come with their own materials.

The only way to make crafters truely viable you need to give them the ability to get their own materials. (if yer get me!!)

Especially if from what I've read is correct the SA areas will be pvp areas. All you are going to accomplish is making the rich guys even richer and I'm sorry but that's not the best way to build a good community.

Going off topic I know and people don't like it when this is said but....revert all shards back to the days of pre AOS :)

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree far too much. Since I am not "skilled" (rich?) enough in UO, my fighting characters aren't up to snuff to battle the peerless. And my crafter gets impaired because of it. Not only that, but if I did join a group and do the peerless, I am convinced I won't have the speed, experience, (scripting?) to loot the corpse for quality items. It always turns out a select few loot the whole thing and then drop back in what they don't want (crap) ... sound like they might drop the reagents back in? Not so much.

It's not like some PvM player is going to go up to someone else (a crafter) and say "I got these rare reagents, can you make me something?" Instead he/she will just give said resources to his/her own crafter character or make a new one.

That being said, I don't mind the rare reagents, just wish my crafter could actually acquire them without buying. For example I can buy Stitcher's Mittens for far less than the resources required to craft them.

S

Silent-Lynx

I agree far too much. Since I am not "skilled" (rich?) enough in UO, my fighting characters aren't up to snuff to battle the peerless. And my crafter gets impaired because of it. Not only that, but if I did join a group and do the peerless, I am convinced I won't have the speed, experience, (scripting?) to loot the corpse for quality items. It always turns out a select few loot the whole thing and then drop back in what they don't want (crap) ... sound like they might drop the reagents back in? Not so much.

It's not like some PvM player is going to go up to someone else (a crafter) and say "I got these rare reagents, can you make me something?" Instead he/she will just give said resources to his/her own crafter character or make a new one.

That being said, I don't mind the rare reagents, just wish my crafter could actually acquire them without buying. For example I can buy Stitcher's Mittens for far less than the resources required to craft them.
So does that mean you haven't tried?? Or you tried a couple of times and failed? Or you continually try and don't get what you need? I don't fully understand what you are saying I guess. Honestly, looting isn't THAT hard. Look for high intensity items or things that have value to you...what's hard about that again?

The resources really aren't THAT hard to acquire if you take a group of three or four (one of which being yourself). Even then, the bulk of the high end resources aren't that needed. The pendant of the magi for instance, takes up alot of special gems...which only a crafter can get.

If it's that hard to go out and fight a boss that just has high health, people should check that their "tank" is doing it's job properly or look at what they are doing as an individual to make sure they are being as effecient as possible. Dreadhorn, Grizzle, Travesty and Melisande aren't hard to do. As a mage, you should be putting down EV's and summoning earth elementals. That's really not that hard to do. I've also been playing for a little over 11 years and have learned to adapt to all the new monsters. Demons and LL's were a huge deal when I started playing, then the balrons and AW, now peerless. Learn your role and do it correctly :)

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really, the bod system is just repetitive strokes over and over...lets have something where people actually DO something themselves and not a program.

R

Radix

small profit for crafters? But..., there is few things as expensive as a high level runic crafted weapon or armor piece, a single nice one with 3 high resis raises 10 millions, a valorite luckly item raises 20 mill (how many hard to get artys costs so much?, 4? 5?), only way a warrior would get so many money, after killing lots of highend mobs, is being sooooooooooo luckly (i emphatised enough?) to get a good artifact or drop, most times low price one, most times you lose money from deads and left with almost nothing!!, an hour fighting a champ with 3 friends (very funny yes) but you get 4 deads with 10 insures on you, and take as loot how much...?, 80k? Best thing you can expect is a rare drop, very rare, getting an statue or something you can sell to make money, i said: veeeery rare.
Not mentioning if you want to go hard hunting, first of all you need good equipment. (not a shovel)

I play both game styles, and respect both. Although i prefer to get risky or dead rather than making bods and bods and bods, but, to make that, specially crafters, dont need anything expensive.
You need some special or rare ingredient for imbuing some of the best props? logical, want to see everybody with uber equipment for free?? that for sure would NOT be logical.

It's true is a pity that cost much more some ingredients that final products, true true!! eye of travesty or so items should not be so rare ^^
(or maybe there is much more crafters than resources)

I bet even paying a lot for rare ingredients, gm or better imbuyers are going to be very rich soon.

Regards.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I may well be wrong, but my understanding is that Medusa, Primeval Lich, and the Stygian Dragon ARE PvP areas.

That is, on top of having to fight them one CAN be faced by the additional problem of other players trying to kill players.....

Well, I think this is a direct consequence of a game that relies too much on items.

The problem is that for some players who have been able to get uber items either because they have more time to play or because they have more gold to spend, the game becomes too easy to play.

Infact, it was because of accumulation of uber items that some players have been able to solo Peerless and solo Champion Spanws......

So, for these players the game becomes too easy and there comes a need to increasingly make monsters tougher and tougher and tougher.

Unfortunately, not all players especially new or returning, might be able to accumulate all of those uber items or gold in a reasonable time and so, the ending feeling could be for a player that of seeing a game growingly harder which can frustrate and make some give up and migrate to other games.....

I agree, a big mistake is having resources needed to crafters be unaccessable to them.
All requirements for crafting should never need fighting whether be it PvP or PvM.
A crafter is a crafter and a fighter is a fighter.

Crafters should be able to play their game as a crafter without any obligation to have to fight, especially monsters way too powerfull for someone skilled in crafting, not fighting....

I have a feeling, unfortunately, that the voices of the uber fitted are more noisy than the ordinary players, casual gamers and that most often changes are in favour of the "Haves" rather than the "Have Nots"........

We will see.....

L

Lord Urza

dial up player here - not interested in mega hit point monsters, or PVP.

( just wanted to throw my name on the stack of players who hope for some mellow game play in SA)

(Imbuning ingrediants shouldnt be really rare, they should be as easy to get as say coco liquor ect.)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbuning ingrediants shouldnt be really rare, they should be as easy to get as say coco liquor ect.

I don'r know about easy but definately, since they are directed to CRAFTING, they should surely NOT require hunting be it PvM or PvP.

Crafters should never HAVE TO fight to get what they need to craft.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may well be wrong, but my understanding is that Medusa, Primeval Lich, and the Stygian Dragon ARE PvP areas.
You are partially wrong.

The Primeval Lich is one of the 2 champions that exist in PvP areas (the other is the Abyssal Inferno) but the Medusa and Stygian Dragon are Tram-ruleset.

L

Lord Urza

I don'r know about easy but definately, since they are directed to CRAFTING, they should surely NOT require hunting be it PvM or PvP.

Crafters should never HAVE TO fight to get what they need to craft.

Easy wasnt the best word to use there, but it sounds like were on the same page. lol