• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Med vs Focus

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Which one has better active mana regen while casting spells? I am trying to figure out which to keep while using a high mana regen suit.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd suggest trying it out on TC. I know my scribe had 100 Med and 120 Focus ... no MR on suit. His 120 Mana could refill from nearly drained in only a few seconds. He was simply a crafter, so I didn't bother with MR.

But see what happens on TC - even if tinkering with Focus/Med skills without MR.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're running a Mystic, Focus is the better choice (as you have the choice of Focus or Imbuing for the Mystic equivalent of Eval, and Imbuing is best kept on a crafter IMO).

I personally run a Mage/Weaver/Mystic (120/120/100+20) with 120 Focus (110+10), 120 Eval, and the rest either in 120 Fishing/40 Med or 100 Inscription/60 Med, depending on how I have my skills set up (with the events lately, not had Inscription on except when specifically crafting books)

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Meditation FAR surpasses focus for mana regeneration, especially considering the ability to actively meditate. But like both of the above posters mentioned it is not a natural fit for a caster using mysticism as much as focus.

Honestly the MR you get from focus is pretty weak, and the main reason you need it is to strengthen all of your mystic spells, including the strength of your rising colossus. It would be like evaluate intelligence offering a small amount of mana regeneration, a nice perk but not a game changer.

I just didnt want anyone reading this thread to think focus was definitely the way to go, meditation > focus, unless you have a mystic. Then both if possible, lol! Or none, with enough MR on the suit, or the capability to use wraith form you can do pretty well without either!!

--edit--
Its also worth mentioning meditation of at least GM skill gives a bonus to the rate at which the MR on your suit regenerates mana. Ive got a char with 90 and use either the shaman staff or a spell book to put it at 100 and can definitely see the difference.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As I recall, Focus was introduced with the Paladins to give them a Med-like ability to regain mana. It really was not meant to be an all-powerful skill ... as has been pointed out. When I played, the Scribe and Paladin werre the only ones wiht Focus (scribe Med+Focus, Paladin Focus only). My other characters had some level of Magery/Med combo.