• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Mechanics of Seed Stacking...

• Thread starter DHMagicMan_1
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

DHMagicMan_1

Can anyone explain the mechanics behind how seed stacking will work?

Is it only "GAME IDENTIFIED" seeds that will stack? This means either self-polinated or poppy dusted seeds and will have names like Bright Red Poppies or Purple Elephant Ears...

Other seeds can be known by the player but not "Game Identified"... If I cross a red tri-barrell cactus with a red campions I know that the resulting seeds will be Bright Red Fern... but the game identifies them as "Bright Red Seeds"... will those 8 seeds stack even though they are not FULLY identified?

Any way that Sak set this up works for me, I just want to know the mechanics so I can start gathering tons of poppy seeds if I will need them to aid seed storage.

Thanks.

S

soulstoner

A little insight from this earlier thread also referencing another thread z'all I can dig up (though not the mechanics/logistics per se you're seeking) Still, neat stuff :

So with the expansion about to come out, there is a lot of good news for gardeners...for those that aren't in beta and don't know about this, I thought I'd post it here....so...spoiler alert! new stuff coming up...

finally another tidbit I read in this thread:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152261

Post #69
Regine posts:

On a slightly off topic, while as Draconi said seed jars didn't make the expansion, you will be able to stack seeds of the same color/type when SA launches. This should already be available for testing on Retribution and work retroactively on seeds obtained pre-SA.

Then Post #71
Oooh! Hi Sak!

Forgot about this - Sakkarah and one of our awesome engineers went out of their way to track down stacking code problems so more stuff would stack in SA

Also; Regine responded to Flora regarding this seed stackability will be available to all players even those with or without SA.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose you'd have to assume that they'll all be properly labelled, now? Otherwise, it'll be hit and miss getting them stacked, and useless anyway--if you have a stack of 50 "mystery" seeds and then use one, you'll be able to figure out the rest, so why not go ahead and identify them?

::crosses fingers::

D

Dragonchilde

It would make sense to me that only "identified" seeds could be stacked. Nothing's been said officially, but it would be logical.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if this helps or not, but during the open beta, I was hunting something that dropped peculiar seeds. Can't even remember what it was. On a whim, I looted the seed and left it in my character's backpack. Sometime later the same day or maybe a day later, I looted something else and also grabbed a peculiar seed. Just pitched it in the backpack and figured if I got around to ever planting seeds, I'd just pull them out of my pack.

It wasn't until later that day that I happened to notice that those two mystery peculiar seeds had stacked together. I didn't know about the seed stacking change at the time, so I actually thought it was a bug and was going to report it until I read something about seeds stacking.

I never had a chance to grow those two seeds because there was a shard wipe, so I can't tell you if they were the same type of seed or not. However, my guess is that they probably were, even though, stuck together, they were just labeled as something like "2 peculiar seeds." And the way they stacked, one seed was offset from the other so it was very obvious you were looking at seeds clumped together and not just a single seed.

Also, keep in mind that things could change by the time this change hits the production shards. Just thought I'd pass on this information for now. Not sure it helps much.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The seeds do not need to be identified to stack but they have to be of the same type and color. If you try to stack 2 unidentified seeds that are not the same type, it will not work. I don't have the code in front of me right now so I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that if you try to stack 2 seeds of the same type but where one is identified and the other isn't, it will not work.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The seeds do not need to be identified to stack but they have to be of the same type and color.
If you use poppy dust on a stack of unidentified seeds, which result will you get:

(1) the entire stack of seeds will become identified and will remain stacked; or
(2) only the top seed will become identified and it will be pushed out of the stack?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use poppy dust on a stack of unidentified seeds, which result will you get:

(1) the entire stack of seeds will become identified and will remain stacked; or
(2) only the top seed will become identified and it will be pushed out of the stack?
Have been puttering around in the ole gardening shed on Retribution and have answered my question. :D Will post the answer as soon as the NDA is lifted, unless Sak beats me to it.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The seeds do not need to be identified to stack but they have to be of the same type and color. If you try to stack 2 unidentified seeds that are not the same type, it will not work. I don't have the code in front of me right now so I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that if you try to stack 2 seeds of the same type but where one is identified and the other isn't, it will not work.
I like this, now I can toss them in a bag when hunting and empty it out weeks later (cause it wont become a storage issue in my bag) and not worry if I mix (short) hedge seeds in with (tall) hedge seeds, since I'll have some in storage to test against the seed stacks.

I'm really just very excited about seed stacking in general! I'm sure it was a horror to figure out how to code, thank you Sak!!

Sinful_Candie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh this is Outstanding news. Love the new stacking. *digs out more bowls and starts planting* :thumbup:

D

DHMagicMan_1

It looks to me like this is somewhat working as you describe, but an important exception...

FULLY ID'd seeds are stacking easily and having no issues. I have some bright green single barrel cacti where I used cross-pol instead of self, in an effort to get mutants... for these the seeds are coming off as "Bright Green Seeds" as expected, and I'm ending up with a stack of 8 for each plant, even though I know they are all single barrels. I'm assuming once I ID some from whichever stack they will correctly stack with their FULLY ID'd brothers, but the unknown are stacked only with others from that single plant whether or not the seed is identical to the unidentified one next to it, which came from a different plant.

Let me know if this description isn't clear.

D

Deb

So it seems that pre SA seeds are not stacking? I just tried and they will not stack, unless I am missing something. I tried to re ID them but "This seed is
already identified".

D

DHMagicMan_1

another strange update... now my stacks of "unidentified" bright greens are as follows... 1 stack of 24, 2 stacks of 16, 7 stacks of 8...

I'm not sure why i can sometimes stack them and sometimes not, but I know they will all be bright green single barrels if I ID them or plant them.

Odd.