• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Maybe, just maybe......

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Love it. The Queen gives details to no Man.

Steam would bring an Audience.

How would it work? Will there be a new Interface (client).

Do other Steam games have a PC version and Steam version that play together?

:danceb:I saw the Ad for Mandalorian Season 2. October 2020. :danceb:

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if they're going to be putting UO on Steam, you can bet it won't be the classic client that's offered, not if they're trying to reach a large new audience.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will the Steam users come to our lands?

Will Steam Players live on a Sosaria with a brand new economic system? Where everybody is starting over?
That would make a lot of complaints about our UO go away.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Interesting that it's the term 'audience' and not 'player-base' that has been used, so it may well be Steam, but unless they are going to hugely revamp things for new players I just don't see how it's going to work. EJ wasn't exactly bringing new players in by the dozen, it was mostly returners. :confused:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are there any games on Steam with a Persistent Dynamic Land?

Does anybody here use Steam?

I have seen my Son play on it. The games I see are single instance. There are a lot of games we played years ago. Age of Empires, Pharaoh, etc. If they have Jagged Alliance, I would try that out.

The Devs can't program a new game in a few months.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Comeing to a Stadia near you.

New player? Returning player? Does not matter good luck with seting a account up. No need to worry about starting low. For a 59.99 fee we will jump start you. Start all skills at max skill points with top end gear. Dont worry about skill caps that's not for you.

Need gold you ask? How about a few billion in gold to help you catch up.

But that's not all folks. Dont understand the game then we will throw in a person GM that will tell you how to play. He will stay with you 24/7 so no need to worry.

Now I should not be doing this but my manager said it was ok. Need a house? Well your in luck everyone who buys now will get a Castle. Yes you heard me right a castle and it will be placed anywhere you want.

Act now before this offer expires.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are there any games on Steam with a Persistent Dynamic Land?

Does anybody here use Steam?

I have seen my Son play on it. The games I see are single instance. There are a lot of games we played years ago. Age of Empires, Pharaoh, etc. If they have Jagged Alliance, I would try that out.

The Devs can't program a new game in a few months.
They do have jagged alliance. They are mainly a DRM platform and host many persistent world RPGs. ESO, Black Desert Online, and WURM just to name a few. I'm almost certain that this is what they're doing. The good news; they'll probably sell game time via steam as well.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will the Steam users come to our lands?

Will Steam Players live on a Sosaria with a brand new economic system? Where everybody is starting over?
That would make a lot of complaints about our UO go away.
Yeah, potential new players aren't gonna care at all with the game in its current state. Looks too old, playerbase too small, economy too ****ed up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are mainly a DRM platform and host many persistent world RPGs. ESO, Black Desert Online, and WURM just to name a few.
Were those game worlds created before they came to Steam? Will UO need a new interface?
Or will UO be like an ad you click to download a client?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe my son plays some Fallout titles and Elder Scrolls. There's quite a few games listed but I don't pay much attention.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They do have jagged alliance. They are mainly a DRM platform and host many persistent world RPGs. ESO, Black Desert Online, and WURM just to name a few. I'm almost certain that this is what they're doing. The good news; they'll probably sell game time via steam as well.
Indeed I play Black Desert Online thru steam... enjoy it even.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO is going to be available through Steam, I think the dev team will have to pretty quickly address the issue of whether everyone will have to log into UO through Steam. If everyone will have to log in through Steam, then I suspect that will mean the end of the Classic Client and UO Assist because everyone will have to use a new version of the Enhanced Client that works with Steam's platform.

If Steam is in the picture, then people will probably also want to know if EA/Broadsword is going to take advantage of Valve's Anti-Cheat software or VACnet or something like the Overwatch system for UO.

A 2018 article on VACNet, Valve's deep-learning anti-cheat solution: Valve has 1,700 CPUs working non-stop to bust CS:GO cheaters

An hour-long video from GDC 18 of a Valve developer talking about using deep-learning to combat cheating: Robocalypse Now: Using Deep Learning to Combat Cheating in 'Counter-Strike: Global Offensive'

A 2016 article on the Overwatch system as used in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: A negative-sum game: Policing Counter-Strike: GO cheaters with Overwatch

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do any other Steam games have multiple Shards?

Why would they send a game to the masses when the ones who have played for 20+ years have gold and items.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Why would they send a game to the masses when the ones who have played for 20+ years have gold and items.
Black Desert has multiple "servers".... similar to shards... so yes.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There are plenty of other MMO's that run through Steam, all of them have multiple servers and all of them are a lot more complicated than UO, I'm not sure BS would want to open themselves up to the torrent of criticism that would ensue from new players though, with no real help in-game apart from kind veterans or even a new player tutorial system in place, it would be a nightmare!

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I run Aria thru steam now and it has all of the servers,official and player run. I also did my server merge thru steam.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe they're going mobile, or a card game...lol
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! I just heard from my best friend's-brother's-baby mamma's-uncle's left testicle's-sister 'n dem that it's gonna be a sweeeeet new card game!!! Basically Magic but with different color borders on the cards!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure BS would want to open themselves up to the torrent of criticism that would ensue from new players though, with no real help in-game apart from kind veterans or even a new player tutorial system in place, it would be a nightmare!
Spot on! But, they are Broadsword, if it's stupid, they are likely going to give it a shot. Plus I imagine EA told them to make it work. Now that EA has finally struck a deal with Valve, they are going to want to capitalize on it.

This is what will happen if UO goes to steam. First off, it is going to end up in the free-to-play section, that in itself will set them up for disaster. You are going to get kids which is one of the reasons I still play UO, because there are pretty much no kids. Sorry, I have kids, I work with kids, I don't want to play video games with kids. The good thing is they will puke when they see the graphics, so they won't be around long. Which brings me to another point; the influx of new players that aren't going to be here long. Eventually you bleeding-heart noob helpers are going to tire of helping people who just disappear.

Steam's review system is either "yes, I would recommend" or "no, I wouldn't recommend." How do you think that's going to work out?

On the plus side, they will likely use steam to sell game time codes, which is much friendlier than Origin. They will likely use steam's account management but probably only for one account that is tied to your steam login, multiple accounts will likely have to go through the system that we all know and love. I doubt that they will allow monthly billing for steam-managed accounts. I don't remember which game it is but I remember I have one in my library of over 300 games that works similarly to what I described here.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don’t follow Dark Ages Of Camelot
They are Broadswords (EA) game as well, wouldn’t they be at least hinting at something to their players if they are going to be on Steam

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Stinky Pete I'd really like to disagree with what you just said, but I can't, you have probably hit the nail right on the head. :(
EJ was a failure of cataclysmic proportions, they did not prepare for it, not even slightly, it was a ridiculous debacle and I don't see UO on Steam as going any better, the whole thing will end badly. On the plus side maybe Steam players can avoid the UO account management nightmare... :D

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don’t follow Dark Ages Of Camelot
They are Broadswords (EA) game as well, wouldn’t they be at least hinting at something to their players if they are going to be on Steam
In their 12/31/2019 "Grab Bag," the DAoC development team said this: "In addition to the momentum from Endless Conquest and this future momentum from these alternate servers, we are also in the midst of an investigation into bringing DAoC onto Steam! 2020 is going to be a great year for Dark Age of Camelot and with these plans coming to fruition, there will be many more ahead! " [Source: Dark Age of Camelot ]

Prior mentions of Steam by the DAoC team:

- November 2015: "We’d love to get the game on Steam, it’d be great for the game. We’ve done all the work we can as s studio to get it on Steam, it’s actually in Electronic Arts’ hands at the moment, so we’re just waiting to hear back from them. When we hear something, you’ll hear something! " [Source: Dark Age of Camelot]

- April 2014: DAoC players who used Steam were asked to vote on Steam to have DAoC added to Steam. [Source: Dark Age of Camelot ]

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ was a failure of cataclysmic proportions
I don't questions you I actually kinda agree with you from personal experience
I still think EJ was the right call by the devs you
You play europa right? I used to play both eu and atlantic i saw what happen to europa about half a year after stygian abyss
it was like everybody was just waiting for that expansion and when it did not meet their expectations they just quit the shard pretty much fell of a cliff most my eu friends left
Stygian abyss was IMO the best expansion this game have ever had and it still was not enough to stop the decline (even short term)
So if anything are going to revive uo it has to be something else.
Expansions and content those are just first aid
That is why I think the devs did the right call with EJ I even think they did release it at the right time (close to the expansion KOTL or what it is named)

If anything i think F2p should have happen alot earlier like just after stygian abyss but that was a different team

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh I agree that they needed to do something that was free-to-play as it's so popular now, it's the way they did it, so badly prepared and badly implemented, it was doomed from the start. It didn't really bring new players in, just returners. Maybe with a different team and a different path they might have had more success.
Yes my husband and I played on Europa, when we came back in 2016 Europa was still a good-sized community, it always got quiet in the Summer but the last couple of years it never really seemed to recover afterwards as it used to. :(

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe we're too optimistic, but we have bumped into so many newbies (clearly real newbies by their actions) since EJ came out, who were really enjoying themselves, really enthousiastic! So that failure of cataclysmic proportions, we don't really see that... You don't need billions of gold or the leetest armour to enjoy this game! We have never had more than 400 million in all the years we play (since 2001), and when you are new you don't need a Castle either cause you haven't collected tons of stuff! And as for the graphics, we still enjoy the 2d graphics, and haven't heard any complaints about that either from several newbies we have helped over the past few years. We still can really appreciate the looks of a char running, the details of either the muscles or the clothes that look surprisingly good. Far better than the smudginess of EC.
Also, Europa is no way near as quiet as many posts make it out to be. SO often when we plan to do a random thing we bump into someone else being busy there, and having to change our plans again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also only see players using EJ to try to play UO. They have way too many restrictions. Many of the restrictions were from posters complaining before EJ came out.

They should have made EJ accounts do more things but not get pack drops.

It is a failure because the Devs listened to the complaints and put out a product that had too many limitations.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Pawain That was what I meant by failure, they launched with no real bank box, they launched with returners being unable to get off their loaded beetle because they couldn't then get back on and they had nowhere to put the items in the beetle's pack. These issues should have been thought out BEFORE they launched, but they didn't see any of the problems, players went months with no real solution to the lack of bank space. People on here called for EJ to be restricted to oblivion, some even asked that free players be tagged so they could be identified easier!
As usual they listened to the wrong people, now EJ is being blamed for the IDOC situation and scripters farming in dungeons, but we had all of that BEFORE they launched EJ. I tried to play UO on an old account that went to EJ, it was horrific, I feel sorry for anyone trying to play like that.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not all 'young' are on EJ, new players on paid accounts are also 'young' for a time.
I just hope whatever this huge new endeavour is that they prepare better than they did for EJ.

PageBoy

Journeyman
@Pawain That was what I meant by failure, they launched with no real bank box, they launched with returners being unable to get off their loaded beetle because they couldn't then get back on and they had nowhere to put the items in the beetle's pack. These issues should have been thought out BEFORE they launched, but they didn't see any of the problems, players went months with no real solution to the lack of bank space. People on here called for EJ to be restricted to oblivion, some even asked that free players be tagged so they could be identified easier!
As usual they listened to the wrong people, now EJ is being blamed for the IDOC situation and scripters farming in dungeons, but we had all of that BEFORE they launched EJ. I tried to play UO on an old account that went to EJ, it was horrific, I feel sorry for anyone trying to play like that.
Agree with you, atm EJ accounts are playable only if you have another subbed account

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I came back from a six-month break on the day EJ was released. I played EJ for over a year before I ever subbed an account. Most of my play time is on an EJ account. I know a lot about it. I also used the vault system quite a bit, I own vault #1 on Atlantic, so I know quite a bit about that as well.

EJ is definitely playable. You just can't collect anything. If your goal is to play and have fun, you can do that with nothing but an EJ account. Most of you equate fun with having a bunch of stuff, if that is your style, EJ is not the right choice for you.

The bank system, when it came out, was a major problem for returning players but it was fixed with the introduction of vaults. As far as blue beetles go, it wasn't overlooked, they thought about it enough to make it so you couldn't get back on it. It is meant to limit your storage to your backpack, and a small bank. It even gave you a warning about it when you logged in that if you dismounted you would be out of luck.

It's not a bad system. It does exactly what it was made to do, which is offer an unlimited free trial. As far as I know, the only major exploit EJ is used for that didn't exist before EJ is collecting extra cargo from new high seas content, but let's face it, the ones who complain about EJ were all doing that. For some reason it isn't an exploit when they do it.

PageBoy

Journeyman
Tbh I don’t care about stuff, I only own a small fel house and pvp consumables to restock. But with all the limitations even doing pvp on EJ is a pain in the *ss. Imho

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tbh I don’t care about stuff, I only own a small fel house and pvp consumables to restock. But with all the limitations even doing pvp on EJ is a pain in the *ss. Imho
I'm curious to know what limitations you find to be annoying with your playstyle. If all you are doing is PvP, you shouldn't need a house or anything, just an insured suit and a bank box full of consumables.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious to know what limitations you find to be annoying with your playstyle. If all you are doing is PvP, you shouldn't need a house or anything, just an insured suit and a bank box full of consumables.
I'm just guessing, but EJ accounts can't use commodity deeds. I believe most people sell consumables in the form of commodity deeds, so if you're on an EJ account you might have a hard time acquiring consumables for PvP unless you know someone who can break commodity deeds for you.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't there be a new steam shard or shards for that new audience and all ours stay the same?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why can't there be a new steam shard or shards for that new audience and all ours stay the same?
I'm not sure if Broadsword is capable of creating a new shard. They never have before.

PageBoy

Journeyman
no commodity deeds, few space for consumables and suit pieces… no possibility of fast restock, cant use locked containers in houses… no access to private houses...

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only right move for UO now is to go completely free, or very close to that. Maybe still keep subs for vet rewards and houses.
I do believe this because i think EA has finally learned it's lessons from their other major release APEX Legends, witch is completely free to play.
They need to monetize their game with the in game shop, and here an EJ limited account with no bank space, is simply not an option, because where are the EJ or free players gonna store all the crap they buy from the store ?
But then again i said same thing when they released EJ, and lets face it, EJ was ok, but still a failure, i do have an EJ account i use sometimes as a support.
A bard is super nice to have on an EJ account for doing doom n stuff, but besides that you are simply too limited.

I do play league of legends now and then, and that game is free with no limits, and yes i do support the game now and then by buying stuff from their ingame shop, even thou it doesent give any game play advantages over those who doesnt.
Anyways i could be totally wrong, and they release something different, who knows.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Eventually you bleeding-heart noob helpers are going to tire of helping people who just disappear.
Nah that's been a thing ever since. You enjoy the journey while it lasts, not dreams of a glorious future.