• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

May I ask why we are trying to create a mountain range out of a molehill??

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were basically 2 seriously wrong things going on with Factions:

1. Point exploitation

2. Deserters (folks getting and using faction gear outside of Fel)

Outside of these issues, factions were and are pretty balanced. We see a great diversity of templates and playstyles within Factions.

Can't we just hit the Easy button on this?

Points: Wipe them clean, allow 1-2 weeks for people to gain up points before their faction gear starts to drop. Go to a 1 point for 1 kill system, allow points to be awarded for various non fighting duties, remove the transfer of points, adjust the point requirements for gear and go forward.

Deserters: All faction gear reverts to normal armor when you leave the Fel rule set.

Why are we spending so much developer money and time on something that just doesn't need the depth and level of repair that is currently being looked at?

S

Stupid Miner

...and points are only being exploited because you need them for the gear.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WAY wrong miner...Points were exploited for points sake..NOT for gear. Under even an exploited shard point system, gear is easily available by just playing and killing opposing faction members.

The point exploit was a way for lame players to say "Hey..look at me". Nothing else.

We should be using our limited budget for UO to repair and build MUCH more important details of the game. This expenditure and waste of human resources is shameful.

As the title says...building a mountain range out of a molehill...

C

Cloak&Dagger

No, miner was right. They were exploited to try and keep others from getting the required points to wear the gear. Dunno what exploited point shard you were playing on, but it was not like you could go out and kill 1 person and have enough points to wear the items. Even more so on the actually exploited shards, where the point requirement was in the thousands.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, miner was right.
While miner isn't completely wrong, Widow is right. You don't need 10 billion points for faction gear. And I can guarantee the majority of the time it wasn't to prevent wearing faction gear because you can wear 90% the gear just having 1 point.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tbh, i think alot of points exploiting was done so people could load up on points on their tram pvm chars, and not have to worry about decaying points, losing rank, and dropping their items.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tweak the original bases, revert to the old useless point system, remove the rank requirement on the arties, and make faction fighting cross facet to stop the deserters.

That would have been quick, easy, and we'd all be having a hell of a lot of fun right now.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with everything but the cross facet. You think faction fighting is sparse in fel now, think how it will be if you open all the facets up.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as they come back to Fel for the large fights over the sigs, its all good. :)

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cross facet would be AWESOME but let's face the facts..that would never be allowed to happen, so just have the armor loose all properties when leaving Fel.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There use to be faction fights in Brit tram before, then they removed it..
Remember when you needed to be in chaos or order to use the sheilds?

To many people were crying about being killed sitting at Brit bank in tram or gang squads so it was removed.

Not sure if this was 2000 or 01, been so long ago...

And i dont think there should be any special armor for faction...you should have to depend on skills, not AOS (Age of Stuff) items...

But then that may change if classic comes in....

And no i dont do factions anymore.....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, if you look at some of the ones with billions of points their usually a mule or dead.

Rouran Gento True Britannians - Asuka 1593586207

http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/my_chars.p...282cb158e1b120a74a4fd38ddddc8a696af31a572f72b
I know the person that started the GL points explosion, it started from getting points up to about 900, and then he went nuts. and he loaded his sampire and tamer up with a ton of points lol. Alot of those people originally were dead or looked like point mules because they were useless newb chars on other accts uses in the points farming.

Although Asuka was the first shard to do it, and i have no idea of their intentions.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont recall factions ever being in trammel. There was the Order/Chaos system, but these two aren't the same.

Alot of those people originally were dead or looked like point mules because they were useless newb chars on other accts uses in the points farming.
Yeah it was Killme, Killme2 wasn't it? He wasnt the only one to do it, and I could still wear all arties, so could the trammies. So if his intention was to prevent them, he epic failed.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember when you needed to be in chaos or order to use the sheilds?

To many people were crying about being killed sitting at Brit bank in tram or gang squads so it was removed.

Not sure if this was 2000 or 01, been so long ago...

No.

Order/Chaos and Factions aren't the same thing.

Two different PvP systems. Order/Chaos was game-wide, Factions was always Felucca-only.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would agree there's nothing they want to accomplish that they couldn't accomplish without reworking current systems, vs. designing entirely new ones. The floating sigil thing (where it's functionally impossible to control all of the towns at once) could even be done with current systems, by always having one Sigil "release" within, say, 6 hours of all 8 towns being controlled by a single Faction. At least long-time Factioners who focus on controlling towns will have a choice to sacrifice one town to keep 7, as opposed to turning Factions into one rolling non-stop fight that people will wear out on quickly.

My thoughts on some of these issues, particularly as regards points and Faction Artifacts.

The strongholds are an excellent symbol, from what I have read, of how the team has over-reached. As is designing a sigil-stealing system that will burn out people such as Tink who play Factions for Factions' sake and kept the system alive even in the pre-Faction Artifact era.

The team is attempting to base everything off of the new fiction, which I'm 100% fine with for my part, but thought about in a certain light some of the changes don't even make as much sense from a fictional perspective as they appear to think.

Let's say you were the founder of the new "good guy" Faction, seeking to integrate CoM and TB. Would you design and build a stronghold that's far too opulent to appeal to current members of those Factions?

Or would you design something your new employees would find familiar and would be comfortable fighting in?

Would you invest millions of gold into purchasing magical shielding technologies from the gargoyles?

Or would you just integrate yourself into the town-control methods that you already know more-or-less work, and that your employees are familiar with?

-Galen's player

L

Locryn Finck

I have given up trying to understand what they want with this. Right now there are a TON of faction pvprs. But among that group, only a VERY few actively engage in sigil/town play. Most of the people I know that are factions are in it simply because... Thats whats going on right now. The vast, VAST majority of "faction" fighting that happens is centered around common pvp areas like Yew or Despise. I think most people just want to fight and pvp.

The ease of cheaply suiting up a faction character vs the alternatives make people want to xshard multiple characters around, and explore action on different servers with the same crew of players.

This demographic represents a lot of the newer breed of factioneer. My feelings were that if you cut out the free artifacts OR lower statloss, it would give people a reason to log in to ONE server a night, and stay logged in. Ultimately creating a more cohesive shard community and steadier pvp.

But evidently base location and the ability to (or not to) lay down candelabras is paramount to the development of factions....

Whatever. I don't know what figures the people working on this are looking at, or what crowded server the "pro stat" people are playing on, but it seems pretty clear to me that the majority of the servers have tiny pvp populations. So yeah, congrats to whichever group fields 2 or 3 more than the other groups. You win. You won't even need statloss, people will just log onto the other servers. Theres a concrete "victory".

J

[JD]

I like the suggestion of 'easy mode' on factions.

But one thing I also think needs an overhaul is how pts are awarded.

I scout for my guild, receive dirtnaps, lose points, but never gain points for my service.

That dismounter made it possible for someone else to catch and kill the guy.. and he gets nothing as someone else gets all the glory because they're mounted and able to chase and kill the target.

Someone might suck at the actual fighting but be incredible at cross healing and ressing, they never get pts. There are lots of examples

Points should be awarded for far more than just landing a kill blow.

Points being awarded based on % damage done would be a good start, but then there should be ways for other contributions to the fight/war to happen.

Would love to see in town fights return, perhaps at the less used towns only. Rarely do I even see anyone outside of Luna or New Haven.