• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Maxing out on nostalgia, how do I get the old midi-music back?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've resubbed in january, and I've downloaded the client from the UO website. I don't really dig the new music, so I'm trying to find information on how to get the old midi music to play...

I do have original UO CD's... they're somewhere... in storageboxes after two times moving house... so I wouldn't know where to start on those...

Is it possible to get the old midi-music to play in this downloaded client version?..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure if it is allowed to talk about those client modifications here that are not explicitly allowed.

But if you google for "Ultima online change music", you will find some howtos ;)

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You just need to download the original midi tunes converted to mp3 format from some fan site e.g. from Roland LAPC-1/SCC-1 Ultima Digital Music Archive -- Ultima Online
And put them in the "Ultima Online Classic\Music\Digital" folder.
Then you just need to replace the current mp3s in that folder with the downloaded ones, or edit the "Config" file to point to the new files.
This should be completely legal - it was explicitly mentioned as an allowed client modification when the music format was changed many years ago.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't it just get replaced when a new patch did a file check or something?
Yes, if you perform a full file check in the patcher, or if the patch contains a music update, then the change will be reverted. You can just copy the files again.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These days the music gets a repetitive or choppy if I'm recalling around doing errands. I made a UO playlist that I play in a separate music player or on my IPod. I also mix in a lot of new age songs which have a soundtrack feel for more variety. David and Diane Arkenstone anyone? Gandalf, Medwynn Goodall, Mediaevel Baebes, Loreena McKennit, etc.