• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Master IDs, persona names... This is a better system?

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the confusion I hated from any other game which required us to get an EA account or any competitors Online ID even for offline games. Too often this ID conflicts with an already existing from the ancient past (self created), which you cannot remember any more for login. Or you have forgotten it, if you need it again after not playing a year.
Master IDs, Gamer tags, account names - endless confusion especially for people who play multiple games and hold multiple accounts (not only their own).
I am still unsure how to handle accounts of friends who no longer play as of current, which I pay with self purchased GTC from time to time. I really do not wish to bind these accounts to my EA ID.

Besides that, my CC is no longer accepted for reactivating an account.

Seems also, that account transfers must be done now over their system and cannot longer be done directly between players, unless you wish to compromise your master ID.

Big brother mentality ...

*Salute*
Olahorand

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a boon for PVP. You select to show low level titles like 'Wretched apprentice swordsman' when your true standing is maybe 'dread lord legendary fencer' you won't have people running away.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a boon for PVP. You select to show low level titles like 'Wretched apprentice swordsman' when your true standing is maybe 'dread lord legendary fencer' you won't have people running away.
And that has nothing to do with master ids and persona names. lol

S

Stoney Freebirth

This system is a nightmare. First, for account security why on earth would you tie your accounts to an email address? Now if someone is inclined to try to hack your account, all they need is your email address and they already have half of the equation. Pure stupidity EA.

I have older accounts that were registered under a different email address, I would like to merge them all under one id but so far have not been able to do that as I already have that id taken for my newer accounts.

I totally agree, the system is confusing, and at the end of the day I just want my old easy to understand UO billing back the way it was without all of this nonsense.

I have used the same login names for several different games and so now it is bad when you merge them all together under one account.

I totally do not understand the persona names idea, I don't know what that is used for and it just adds to the confusion as far as I am concerned.

Stoney.

W

Woodsman

This is why Origin.com exists and why they want us to migrate over to the new account system (which is powered by Origin.com).

Gamasutra - News - EA's Origin Hosting Third-Party Content 'Very Soon'; 4M Client Installs

But the scope of Origin is set to expand beyond EA's walls, putting the service in more direct competition with other digital distribution platforms such as Steam, Impulse and Direct2Drive.

"Initially, Origin is set up to deliver EA games, but very soon, we'll be delivering third-party content to Origin," said EA CFO Eric Brown at a UBS conference in London today.

He said EA plans to "leverage our backend infrastructure -- the 130 million-plus registered users that we have, the multitude of digital payment methods, et cetera" in order to attract other companies' games to its service. The exec did not specify which third-party games and companies that are headed to Origin.

A wholly-owned digital download business would be extremely attractive to a major publisher such as EA. By selling a digital game directly to customers, the company could bypass retailers, increasing margins substantially.
Competing with Activision and Ubisoft was not enough, they want to compete with Steam and sell direct.

Like HD2300 said in another thread, when they sell through Steam, Steam takes a 30% cut, but if EA can sell their games through Origin.com, they get 100% of the revenue.