• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Massively:The Secret World officially abolishes subscriptions [Updated]

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's about time some gaming companies are waking up to the B2P ( Buy to Play) model.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/12/the-secret-world-officially-abolishes-subscriptions/

The Secret World officially abolishes subscriptions [Updated]

by MJ Guthrie on Dec 12th 2012 6:15AM
Horror, Real life, Trailers, Video, Business models, MMO industry, News items, Free-to-play, The Secret World
Joel Bylos' first End of Days video log hinted at it (if you call busting into a conference room hinting!), and now it is official: The Secret World is permanently removing subscriptions from the equation. Some of you are undoubtedly exclaiming, "I knew it!" but all of you may be wondering what that means for you. Here's the scoop.

Funcom's new payment model for TSW is buy-to-play with three membership tiers: free, member, and grand master. After purchasing the game itself, folks can play indefinitely without any additional fees, or they can opt to purchase monthly memberships that provide special bonuses. Players who already have or purchase the grandmaster package maintain their lifetime membership and receive additional bonuses.

Gamers will be glad to know that the conversion will not introduce any restrictions to the game's current content; free players will have full access to every aspect of issues #1 - 4, including weapons, dungeons, and missions. But what of future content? TSW will continue to receive regular patches of free content, just not at the volume of previous issues. More content will be also available periodically through downloadable content packs (DLCs) in the in-game store. Issue #5 DLC, coming in January, will be free to all accounts registered as of the end of December.

Players opting to maintain a membership will get an XP bonus item, 1,200 bonus points monthly, a special monthly gift, and a 10% discount in the in-game store. Grand masters will receive all that plus another 10% off store purchases. Both members and grand masters can use their free monthly bonus points to purchase DLC.

Folks who purchased the initiate pack previously will be reimbursed 1800 bonus points, and all remaining subscription time will be converted to membership time. For more information, you can check out the official FAQ. And catch the new trailer after the break!

[Updated with Pay Once, Play Forever trailer]

[Source: Funcom press release]

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Thanks for posting Zos I just haven't had a moment! I am moving next week. It's chaos here right now! HAHA
No subscription fee = no excuses not to play with me now!
HAR!

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are the required Specs Flutter it seems fun but can older machines play? I am actually really curious about it after doing a bit of looking.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's going to be very good for the game. I'm glad they've done it.

...but I sure wish I hadn't bought a $200 lifetime subscription. Pretty pissed about that, tbh.

Last edited:

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you I am going to see how it runs on my friends computer and then look into diving in.