• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Massive EA layoff, Mythic reduced by almost half. Effect on UO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Vyal and Ahuaeyjnkxs should get together. They'd either hit it off or kill each other. Either way, it would prove entertaining. :thumbsup:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't let me catch you !!! :p

Yesterday I was looking at how I am treated as a long term customer. I have given free service for half a year to EA, paid for 2 years, now again I'm paying.

I get to lose time to download their new supposedly good new expansion and I cannot even try it. I've been refused in beta for an unknown reason, even if all the people I know who applied got in, even noobs who have no experience in beta-testing.

And now I cannot even have one day free trial, EA deleted my account and they wont even help me transfer back to the trial account Morgana opened for me.

If you stop and think of it like totally objectively, even if such a thing dosen't really exist.

Well... do I even need to conclude ? I don't think the new expansion is great, I cannot even try it ! And I still see people around, they still look like robots and 99% people never talk to each other and just do their thing.

It's not the content which makes UO, it's the people and the communities which died when I casted armageddon on the atlantic shard. I know here is a sweet group of people with nice intelligent folks, but it's not a community in the proper sense of the term. It makes me sad but its not even close, for having known the AMT mage tower I just cannot forget.

The game is not fun anymore... it's mechanical and performs better, but thats honestly nothing for UO. No wonder much more people play free shards, even if I disagree with this behavior also, because EA kept it alive, they deserved that I pay to try it out for a few months. But after 6 months on EA, I did nothing, the events were anti-persona and mass gathering lag fests. I managed to get a few roleplay lines out of one of the EMs in character... but that was it, he was perhaps there 10 hours a week and got "moved" to be replaced by someone who handles crowds better but has no idea how to setup a cast of archetypal characters to feed a thriving and passion.

My house is probably decaying right now... it took me over 20 hours to decorate it, but I don't even feel a little pinch in my heart, it's all cursed by my dirty UO blood. I really hope noone loots it, they'd be sorry.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yet here you are...

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I know... you think I don't feel miserable sometimes, and that it's fun for me ?

It's not... IRL I'm heavily intoxicated with mercury, if you don't know what that means I guess you could wiki it.

Thing is that along with delusions, I get icy metal spikes of reason poking at my soul 24 hours a day ; stuff I cannot forget.

Like when my murderer brainbug died on atlantic with 2 million + bounty (that was alot in the day) there was a group of at least 100 people who paid off one of my friends real US$ to betray me. They lagged me to death, yes I was that good, and escaped more than one attempt at ganking me.

Well my good friend Nick-of-Time... he came from outside this gang of low lives, drank about 10 red potions, and managed to get my head.

Thats how it ended for me. On one side... I had UO and the freakin (sorry to pump it up) stones music in my head, and the chest image that opens up giving me shivers everytime. Not because of what it was, but because of the opportunities it opened up, because of the passion and dream it created. It was really a chest of treasure.

On the other side I had 5 7x GM characters, a dream for any PVPer... a house with millions worth of server birth rares which were unique, it was filled, I had so much. And a head of a brainbug, worth 2000$ real USD cold cash. It was not the gold it was worth, it was worth that much to a group of people who despised me so much they tagged up to make that offer to get my head on display.

If I had auctioned everything separately (and I had the time and knowledge to do so) I would have gotten out with 10k USD, at 15 years old.

Yet, I let it decay, and I stayed there and FOUGHT to make sure noone would get a piece of it.

NOT A SINGLE PIECE was taken.

I still fight for it ; and will never rest until it's back.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shrugs* It is just pixels...

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
*atomic face palm*

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally honor , by my behavior and reasoning that it might be so for you.

But for me it's become much more than that ; it's still a very intimate thing however. I mean I have a job, and a girlfriend, and a quite good life.

But when I started getting people who never even knew about UO that started to tell me they dreamt about stuff I also dreamt of, in details, about stuff that was birthed in UO and previously by famous fantastic authors like Tolkien and Weis and Hickman...

It became something else, I'm not going to gross out your comfortable mind with the implications I think this had either. But my wife has swallowed the blackrock gem, and in UO it reapeared, as if what she did, in a dream, really happened. Oh and I took the time to dig in all available information...

Shards of it reapeared it seems through dark wisps, but that story also, was pushed under the rug. It was a good story...

Maybe, just maybe going out of that comfort zone would perhaps, lead you on the way to glory.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's just old stuff I still hold a grudge about... it really dosen't matter much anymore, according to high ranking officials in the pyramid song.

Noone cares about continuity in UO from Ultima series anyways.

(Anderson)
The day the Circus of Heaven came to town
Local folks lined the streets in a Midwestern town
Waiting anxiously for the parade to begin all round
On the very last day

A Unicorn headed the Mystical way
Surrounded by what seemed a thousand golden angels at play
Behind were Centaurs, elves, bright fairies all in colours of Jade
On the very final day

For what seemed only just a moment in time
Seven solemn flying silvered regal horses rode by
Seven golden chariots in tow, a wonder to behold
The Seven Lords of the Mountains of time
There then arose where nothing really stood there before
A giant tent rising one thousand feet high from the floor
Towns people flocked inside with their eyes all amazed
To greet the Seventh Lord of the Seventh age
A fanfare rang out in an incredible sound
Bringing out the strangest visions perfect harmony round
Any dreams he asked would they like to have seen
>From historical or mythical scenes

Then there above their heads just as vivid as life
Each vision transported in multitudes inventing light
Grecian galleons, The Sack of Troy, to the Gardens of Babylon
A play of millions roared along
The gigantic dreams of Alexander the Great
Civil wars where brothers fought and killed their friendship in hate
All seen by Zeus performing scenes of the magical way
The day the circus came to town

Outside great animals as tame as the trees
Angels high in starlight dancing streets
Tuning their colours with indigo and gold
Dropping violet, red and emerald snow
As the circus finally changed its invisible course
A new world to be found

On the dreamy ground we walked upon
I turned to my son and said
"Was that something beautiful, amazing, wonderful, extraordinary beautiful?"
"Oh! it was OK!! But there were no clowns, no tigers, lions or bears,
candy-floss, toffee apples, no clowns."

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My last posting in this thread.

UO is far from dying. It generates a decent revenue, and as long as it does that, nobody will turn it off.

We honestly have no clue about Draconi. I even think it is pointless to speculate about it. Should he really have left UO, it would be a loss. But other great developers have left before, and new great developers have filled the void. I remember when Designer Dragon left, who imo. was the most talented brain behind UO ever. And that was before 2000.

If I were a manager responsible for UO, I'd be most troubled that once again the plans of creating a modern game client have failed. If you want to play UO today, you have to choose between an extremely outdated client with 800x600 resolution, ridiculous graphics and the requirement to use external tools for reasonable gameplay (UOAssist, UOAutoMap), and a new bug-ridden "enhanced" client with mediocre graphics, lag, rubberbanding-issues and hundreds of unsolved issues. Not really a good premise if you want to attract new players.
If I were manager, I'd probably fire the responsible person.

I don't care about any rumors and speculations on these boards. I know what I see, and I see one of the greatest MMORPGs on the market being run with kindergarden technology. UO isn't hopeless, UO isn't doomed. It has great potential which just hasn't been tapped.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another Hawk ? I'm confused...

why do people say he's still here... ?

What is going on here ?

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I'm leaving and it's a threat, that means you care 'bout me ?

Hmm... what happened with that post ?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Haha. You said threat.
Your out there man.:drool: I`ve read thru alot of your dribble and at best its incoherent ramblings that make little to no sense at all. I think your the only one who understands half the things your posting.......

As far as who`s here and who isn`t.......really, who cares? I`m not playing this game out of loyalty to some developer. I could care less who comes and goes just as long as they leave the lights on when they leave.

If I were a manager responsible for UO, I'd be most troubled that once again the plans of creating a modern game client have failed. If you want to play UO today, you have to choose between an extremely outdated client with 800x600 resolution, ridiculous graphics and the requirement to use external tools for reasonable gameplay (UOAssist, UOAutoMap), and a new bug-ridden "enhanced" client with mediocre graphics, lag, rubberbanding-issues and hundreds of unsolved issues. Not really a good premise if you want to attract new players.
If I were manager, I'd probably fire the responsible person.
I think your a little off here. For one the CC has the 1024/768 if you play full screen. 800x600 is only for windowed. There is ways of making your screen bigger if you play in windowed,like adjusting your monitors resolution. I run 1280x1024 out of game but when its play wime I reduce it to 1024x768 on the monitor and 800x600 ingame. My screens full of UO. IMO if peaple complain their play window is to small.....its your own fault for not fixing that problem yourself.

Saying the CC is extremely outdated is a stretch since the vast majority of peaple still use it and love it like myself. Seriously, I DO try the EC and I DO want a new client but IMO the only way to a new client that the masses will flock to is not a rebuild of the same ole same ole. Its got to be a brand new game,new engine new everything. There isn`t going to be a client thats a mix between both that everyone will like. I like alot of things in the EC but for me it boils down to graphics. All the EC lovers like to mention how much better the graphics are in the EC but I just don`t see it. Sure the background is cool looking but unfortunatley theres more to a game than background envirenment. Things I don`t like is the char models and the mounted movement. I`m not riding......I`m gliding weeeeeee!

I`m not bashing the EC or peaple who love it. I actually do want to have a new UO that is as fun as the old UO.For now, I`m prefectly happy with my old outdated dinasour 2d art. The best thing they could have done with any one of the 3 attempts at a new client is updating the existing one.Higher resolution,better UI with resizable windows and maybe an easier chat system that include things like world chat or system or whatever.

Whatever,thats my 2 cents. As far as who`s here and who`s not..... stop frettin about things that are so trivial. Life goes on,game goes on. Theres alot more important things in life. Just shadup and play already. ;)

S

Salya Sin

Amber gazes deeply into her crystal ball (after filling her head with everything she can find about the industry state of affairs)....

I believe Mythic entertainment is not long for this world. With EA's announced restructuring, it makes little sense to me that they would leave a studio with one loser, two aging games, and no current projects open. EA has a history of closing down studios that rank towards the bottom of their portfolio.

What does it mean for the future of UO? The End?!? .. no, not necessarily.

The move that would make the most sense is some kind of merge with Bioware, who is has a lot of RPG experiance and is about to venture into online with SWTOR.

So to use Cal's analogy; fasten your seat belts because there may be rough air ahead. And crew members should keep their resumes fresh, which is always good advice to anyone working in the game industry.

This is my opinion only. If you don't agree fine. No reason to go all Mongo.

I thought you might find this interesting... dated June 24, 2009

EA announced its intentions to merge its RPG divisions - most prominently including Mythic and BioWare - under a single RPG/MMO banner helmed by BioWare founder Ray Muzyka. Longtime Mythic boss Mark Jacobs, on the other hand, is leaving.

Find the complete article here.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry Mitzl... people have developped a passion for telling me things to get me going and deleting their messages, sometimes they move around on their own too, and I end up looking incoherent, which is the goal I guess. But the content in essence has remained as simple and clear as it was since the beginning.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take the big road to nothingness if you like. I prefer the small road to glory, on it's arduous, but it's well worth the effort.

In the meantime you are off topic, you have not contributed even a point of view to the thread, you just accused me wrongly. Because I am talking about the subject of this thread and what the effects on UO are.

I just have a different opinion ! And you are not allowed to tell me I am an imbecile, by the way. Thats very harsh, shallow and pointless.

M

Myrkrid Ashen

Thats very harsh, shallow and pointless.
Touché. I mean, that's not exactly news to us is it? And by 'us' I refer to the federation of forum lurkers, who no doubt clicked on this thread - just as I have - to marvel at the flood of nonsense pouring out of your keyboard.

Harsh and shallow? Not really. I'd call it condescending, yet thoroughly succinct.

Oh, but please don't let me detain you from providing further amusement. Of the morbid, train wreck curiosity variety.
:drool:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this topic has reached its limit, the thread is deteriorating into a babble thread. Time to end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.