• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mana Regeneration

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Recently I made a suit for my PvP Mage and added MR2 to every piece along with the PoM. This gave me 13 MR Total. I have 120 med and 186 mana on that char.

What I'm wondering is if the MR2 on those 5 pieces is a waste. I have 120 Hit Points and am debating whether I should go with only 3 MR from the PoM and add Hit Point Increase to the other 5 pieces for an extra 25 Hit Points.

Is there a point where MR becomes a waste and you'd be better of putting a different mod such as Stamina Increase or Hit Point Increase instead?

What's you guys/gals experiences regarding MR?

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks, yeah I know I've looked at that and was more looking for an opinion on whether the difference between 1.9 and 2.4 MPS was worth taking up 5 property slots on a suit.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive got 16 mr and 16 hp regen on my 4/6 mage suit and like 175 mana... im not sure what ur pieces are made out of and im at work so its hard to say what i made mine out of... I know for sure though I use ring of soulbinder... Ornament of magi.... Aegis of grace... slither... LT Sash... protector of battle mage chest... sleeves have 2 hp regen... gloves have 2 hp regen... I use crimson cincture... and 2 hp regen SC +2 FC shield

DCI:
20 - aegis of grace
10 - slither
5 - conjur garb
5 - quiver
15 - shield
15 - ring of soulbinder

MR:
4 - gorget
2 - conjur garb
2 - LT Sash
2 - ring of soulbinder
4 - leggings
2 - protector of battle mage chest

HP Regen:
3 - gorget
2 - slither
3 - leggings
2 - shield
2 - sleeves
2 - gloves
2 - crimson cincture

SDI:
10 - ring of soulbinder
5 - protector of battle mage

HP Inc:
10 - slither
10 - crimson cincture

Mana Inc:
8 - gorget
(cant remember if I have anymore atm)

So the suit is built using 2 reforge non imbued pieces... Then the two easy pieces to replace if needeed are the gloves/sleeves... My stats are like 132/15/175, i cant remember if tahts blesed or un blessed and I play as an elf... the HP Regen is really nice even at 14... Even at 14 hp regen poison doesn't kill me since the health regens so quickly... I don't think there is any reason to go past 13 mana regen imo. I have 16 but you should be just fine at 13... For PvP though you will generally want 130 or more health (blessed or unblessed)... If theres anythign else I can help you with just lemme know

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You're suit is good, but I also had to have 45% HCI as I'm a Nox Mage w/Fencing. But I also didn't need 4 FC.

I might just make another suit and replace the MR with HPI and try it out. If 3MR+120 Med isn't enough then I'll try something else.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do u plan on chugging pots or no? Pots as in cures/heals since apples u can eat with wep and shield on... 15 DCI on wep... get a 0/3 ring 15 DCI 10 SDI 15 HCI (443/500 weight) and shield SC no - with 15 DCI 15 HCI... OR if you don't wanna use a shield then use custom bracelet instead of orny to get ur HCI on... The easiest way to do it though is if u used a shield with the wep. 3 mana regen is gonna be tight, thats all ill say lol... Holy cow 3 lol... Pots will also mean ur suits gonna be even tighter... U want EP if ur gonna use pots.. If not then it's so much easier.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're suit is good, but I also had to have 45% HCI as I'm a Nox Mage w/Fencing. But I also didn't need 4 FC.

I might just make another suit and replace the MR with HPI and try it out. If 3MR+120 Med isn't enough then I'll try something else.

Don't run 3mr, in my experience these days, don't run anything less that 9 or 10, and aim for 13-15. My gargoyles always have more mr than that just cause (the dont have much med)

find another way to get ur hpi, u won't be sorry.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not to like derail the topic/thread or anthing... But Cedric... if you have 120 med AND 120 focus what would u run with? I mean would it still be no less then 9 or 10 and aim for 13-15 even with 120 focus & med?

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not derailing at all. The point of this discussion is to find out a reasonable about of MR depending on your med/focus and playstyle.

My only point in asking is because it seems like 99% of the time I see the grey screen I still have plenty of mana, It's the lack of Hit Points that causes my death ;)

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Plenty i could say on the topic here but i'm going to TRY and keep it nice and to the point. Going simply by your last post Driven if you think a lack of HP is your issue. try the following.

Assuming your maxed out in DCI and have decent resists etc....

Make sure you have +25 HPI on your suit (capped), keep yourself blessed & keep chugged up with greater strength potions during a fight.
Still struggling with Hitpoints? Find them elsewhere, Gift of renewal (SW) Healing stone (Mystic)
Also experiment with Darkglow/Parasitic poison (depending on your fighting style) as every hitpoint counts.

Going back to the original topic as a mage your going to need the MR i'm afraid. Max med skill and a decent amount on items , so your going to have to find armour with both MR & HPI on.

Jump on test, try diff combinations of armour for your fighting style and find a balance, as with every single template and suit out there balance is key.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Assuming your maxed out in DCI and have decent resists etc....

Make sure you have +25 HPI on your suit (capped), keep yourself blessed & keep chugged up with greater strength potions during a fight.
Still struggling with Hitpoints? Find them elsewhere, Gift of renewal (SW) Healing stone (Mystic)
Also experiment with Darkglow/Parasitic poison (depending on your fighting style) as every hitpoint counts.

Going back to the original topic as a mage your going to need the MR i'm afraid. Max med skill and a decent amount on items , so your going to have to find armour with both MR & HPI on.
Have max DCI, HCI and all 70's resists (74 Energy)

The other aspect of this messed up scenario is that since I have fencing I do need some stamina in order to swing the weapon at a decent speed. So some of my suit does have dex/stamina increase. Maybe I should swap that out for HPI instead. I guess my thinking was that if I did miss on the first swing that I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to swing again. I only use this for poisoning and I use a kryss with 30% SSI. This is something I could maybe reconsider and just hope I hit the first time.

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra just came up with another 5 strength for you right there in the form of a rose of trinsic petal as these stack quite nicely with pots. Now depending on what your strength was at beforehand that could be another 2.5 - 5 HP right there. (Petra putting me to shame) Scoff these every 5 mins as every little helps.

As you mention you are using a kryss which is pretty much one of the fastest swinging weapons in the game.
See if you can find a kryss with more than 30% ssi and you are already starting to look better (Don't worry about hitting the 60% cap on a mage, (it's unrealistic) the SSI on a weapon will have to suffice).

Putting stamina increase onto a mages suit is extremely difficult as there are other stat increases and mods you require elsewhere which need to take precedence.
Obviously quaff a greater agility pot before a fight though.

Have you ever considered a Shuriken or Fukiya to get the most out of your skill points and poison people at range?

It's a hard temp to pull off due to the fact you cannot neglect any of the 3 stats however don't let that put you off, it's a challenge!

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Petra just came up with another 5 strength for you right there in the form of a rose of trinsic petal as these stack quite nicely with pots. Now depending on what your strength was at beforehand that could be another 2.5 - 5 HP right there.
Yep, use the petals.

As you mention you are using a kryss which is pretty much one of the fastest swinging weapons in the game. See if you can find a kryss with more than 30% ssi and you are already starting to look better (Don't worry about hitting the 60% cap on a mage, (it's unrealistic) the SSI on a weapon will have to suffice).!
Yeah, of course the fact that it has to be SC (Ideally with no - makes this a little harder).

Have you ever considered a Shuriken or Fukiya to get the most out of your skill points and poison people at range?!
I had not, I'll look into that. Thanks.

It's a hard temp to pull off due to the fact you cannot neglect any of the 3 stats however don't let that put you off, it's a challenge!
Yeah I've been running this same temp for over 8 years. But like most ppl I'm always looking to make it better.

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Completely understand about the weapon.

I have seen such pieces come up more regulary since imbuing was introduced.
I know very little about it, although it would seem the best option would be to find a high SSI kryss then see if SC and FC (to cancel out the -1) could be imbued onto it without breaking the bank.

I don't craft so the above may not even be possible, hopefully an adept imbuer can enlighten us.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also, can't understate this, your play style matters when it comes to med/mr too. i find myself having mana issues sometimes no matter what, cause im a big spell and dexer special spammer o.0

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you ever considered a Shuriken or Fukiya to get the most out of your skill points and poison people at range?
Shurikens and Fukiya require Ninjitsu to use effectively. The chance for the Shuriken/Dart to hit is based on your Ninjitsu vs the opponents Wrest/Weapon skill.

Darkglow deals more damage the further away your victim is from you. Parasitic Poison only leeches health when you're within 1 tile of your opponent.

I don't craft so the above may not even be possible, hopefully an adept imbuer can enlighten us.
A Kryss will swing every 1.5 secs with 15 Stam and 30% SSI. Every 1.25 secs (cap) with 15 Stam and 40% SSI. So +Stam on your suit is really unneccesary, replace it with HPI. You can get up to 40% SSI on a wep with Reforging, but it's rare and would likely require a crapton of attempts/charges to get it with no mod you don't want, plus it makes using a Whetstone of Enervation impossible.
You'd be better off getting a GM Kryss made, getting it powdered up to 255 Dur, then using a Whetstone of Enervation on it to remove the Dam Inc, then get SC, FC then 30% SSI imbued onto it. Maybe Hit Fireball/Lightning for a little more damage, HCI or DCI, or even HLA in order to increase your survival chance against melee. Melee rarely overcap their HCI, even in PvP.

You can carry a old +50% EP Ecru Citrine Ring on you like i do, and just switch it on real quick when you need a Greater Strength/Agility pot, then switch back. The EC would make this real easy with the instant equip of it, but it's still too funky for me. At least Pinco's UI makes the EC alot more tolerable.
Don't forget, the Holy Mackeral Pie can provide +3 MR for 5 mins. But it might be hard to get ahold of on your shard, depending on how many fisherman are on it.