• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mana Question

I

Isolde

I have 66.5 Chivalry and 101.2 Focus. I am at 100% mana and cannot cast Enemy of One. I get the message that is costs 18 mana to cast. Shouldn't I have at least that much mana at that level of focus? What am I not understanding about how mana and focus work with the Chivalry skill? Any ideas?

I

imported_Farsight

I'm going to make two guesses based on what you asked. If they aren't true, then you have an odd problem.

First, your intelligence is low, like less than 18.

Second, you have a human character. Elves get an extra 20 mana and can always cast those spells.

Based on those guesses, my advice would be to set your intelligence to 'up' and something else (probably str) to 'down'. And remember to pay attention to their values, as stats can change very quickly.

I

Isolde

Excellent advice and right on the money. I'll adjust my stats and do the human to elf quest!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Raise your int - but don't do the quest.

Most characters with Chivalry work better human.

D

dorkuberalles

yes, raise intelligence to at least 40 if human. that will given a comfortable ammount of mana for most needs. you will also want to think about utilizing lower mana costs into your equipment, as it will give you greater usage with your mana (at max LMC you can cast 7 close wounds with 40 mana in a row, while with no LMC you can cast 4 in the same ammount of time)

human vs elf is interesting, and depends on your character's template and style. i would go human if you have healing, and use paladin abilities sparringly. This would allow you to use weapon moves at a lower cost more often.

i would go elf if you are reliant on chivalry for healing & curing, or you find yourself using paladin abilities a lot. the extra upfront mana helps greatly. elf is also the way to go if you utilize bushido also, as you can use special moves at discount cost, and the extra mana lets you utilize both bushido, chivalry, & weapon specials.

also all of my paladins are human, as i find the jack of all trades abilities invaluable for roleplaying along with overall effectiveness.