• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

... mana phase?

Ghosty

Visitor
These mana phasing orbs were introduced while I was away, and I simply do not understand it's ability, nor can I find anything that actually explains what it does.

What exactly is "mana phase?" What is a mana check? If I'm not using mana or doing damage, what AM I doing that needs a mana check?

I'm so confused. :confused:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mana phase is effectively free mana.

A "Mana Check" is when you try to use mana, and the game checks to see if you have enough mana available - then the use of the mana (if the effect isn't 100% success chance). Every use of mana is a mana check.

For example, one of the best ways to use a mana phase orb is to do a normal weapon special move, then trigger the orb by clicking, and repeating the attack during the mana cooldown (the 3 seconds after a special move, when doing another special move costs double).
The result is that you get the second special move for free, instead of double cost (for a special move that costs 30 normally, instead of paying 30, then 60, you pay 30, then one charge off the talisman pays the other 60).

It can be used for normal special moves too, but is a bit of a waste, or when casting spells (but again, is really a waste unless casting something that's high cost, like a WoD).

Ghosty

Visitor
Wow. I couldn't find an actual explanation on this anywhere. Thanks!

I'm not a PvPer, but I am training inscription. Gate scrolls are expensive mana-wise. If I were to use the talisman with this, would it let me get an extra scroll or two written when I'm down on mana?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure. I've not tested it with Inscription, primarily using one on my PvM-only Melee Treasure Hunter (you have to AI a lot against AWs and GDs to have a chance to drop one with a non-sampire).