• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Malas Fairground Redesign Contest (June 7th-June 22nd)

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please disregard the previous contest announcement as it no longer applies

In an effort to spruce up and breathe some life into the LA Fairgrounds, a redesign contest is being held!

Accessing the Fairgrounds is fairly simple, and there is a rune in the middle of Luna and a portal (the one using the energy vortex artwork) just outside of the EM Hall in Britain, Trammel (which is just outside of Castle Blackthorn). All LA players, even those not participating, are encouraged to pay the Fairgrounds a visit!

Those who wish to participate in the contest must e-mail me at [email protected] to which afterwards I will update this thread with the participants (or the team) thus far.

Now to the rules:

1. For the most part, participating designers are given free reign to do as they wish, using whatever tools they deem necessary (InsideUO, MS Paint, etc) to create and display their vision. If you are not sure concerning a particular tool, please do not hesitate to e-mail me ([email protected]) or reply here on this thread.

2. However one important thing to remember is that this is a REDESIGN. It should add on to, reinvigorate and enrich the existing Fairgrounds while still paying homage to the old one (in other words, don't completely wipe out the old one as part of your design).

3. Players CAN form teams to participate in the contest, with a maximum of 3 members per team. If this is the case, when submitting you desire to participate, please name your team (as you will be recognized as such should the design win).

4. ALL designs are subject to be modified as according to Mesanna, who will be bringing the design to life. Please keep this in mind designers.

5. Contestants are also welcome and encouraged to come up with a name for their final design ("Fairegrounds" is abit too common and for the purposes of this contest, is only a placeholder name). Designers also encouraged to post on the forums and show case their progress by way of screenshots or journal entries (of course, nothing too revealing)!

6. When contestants have completed their entry, they must submit it to me with all relevant screenshots, coordinates, and the like. This is of MONUMENTAL IMPORTANCE for the recreation of your vision as it will serve as a road map for Mesanna. Be as accurate as possible.

7. Some additional guidelines to keep in mind (concerning specifically the arena and the gauntlet): http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=211856

The contest will run from today (the 7th) until the 22nd of June, with a winner chosen shortly thereafter.

The winner will receive the recreation of their design and a plaque dedicated to their win!

Any questions concerning the contest should be posted in this thread.

Good luck designers!

UPDATES:

By request, though I cannot extend the deadline of the contest so late as September, I can rather extend it until the last Monday of August, specifically August 30th.

Participants:
1. Buns of Glory (ATL)
2. Pallas Athene (Nephrenia)
3. Basara

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having not received any entries and with thus far a single contestant, I am extending the deadline for the contest to July 2nd.

If you wish to enter the contest please reply here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pallando - word I'm getting from those who normally enter the design contests is that no one wants to enter a contest that will have no results, as the Britain Bank design is still half-implemented and the Luna grbage can still hasn't shown up.

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buns, you are of course welcome to participate! Good luck with your design!

Basara, of the original bank design, could anyone send me a screenshot of the intedned bank design for me to pass along? Of the trash can, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Mesanna apologizes for the delay and the Trash Can is now in Luna (along with the plaque dedicated to the winner, BlissMarie).

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pallando,

Thank you.
Here is a link to an image of the intended bank design:
http://fasterthanthat.com/brit/Entry2LakeAustinBlissMarie.jpg

The Luna Bank Trash can was supposed to be a goat. Just a goat... I hear they eat all kinds of things, so I thought that should work just fine. I see Mesanna did, in fact, install the goat and some other decorations as well.

Please send my thanks to Mesanna for taking care of that. I am aware that she has been extremely busy in game. Plus, I heard she recently had a medical problem, as well. Best wishes to her for a fast recovery and healthy, rested future.

BlissMarie

Nephrenia

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Palladino!

I would like very much to enter this contest, but I would like to see a heavily padded deadline as RL gets in the way more often than not.

I'm not sure if this would go over well with the masses, but I'd love to see a September deadline if at all possible. I will understand if that won't work.

Thanks,
Nephrenia, aka Pallas Athene

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pallando,
The Luna Bank Trash can was supposed to be a goat. Just a goat... I hear they eat all kinds of things, so I thought that should work just fine. I see Mesanna did, in fact, install the goat and some other decorations as well.
BlissMarie
The additional garbage can is for those types bringing their Blues into Luna to sell their Powerscrolls, and wouldn't recognize the goat as a garbage can, even if it was named "I'm the Luna Garbage can, Dammit!".

I really wish they'd bring back the separate Tram-ruleset and Fel "General" chat channels as standard - When the trash talk starts between the PvPers, the only thing getting PKed is intelligent thought.

Whitestar4016

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was Excited (oddly enough) when I heard that the goat was also supposed to be a trash can. Doesn't work tho, you have to use the one next to him dammit. ah well.
Enjoy all
Whitestar

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Original post updated with a new deadline and list of participants thus far.

The most common question I receive concerning the contest is about if this is a total reimagining of the Fairgrounds or not.

In response, please keep in mind that this is a redesign contest to modify and/or add to the existing Fairgrounds. In other words, some semblance of the original Fairgrounds must still be incorporated into your design. IE you cannot wipe the Fairgrounds clean and start from scratch.

Now does this mean that you cannot delete anything in order to replace it with something you feel is better? No. Just don't go crazy with it. At this point the only landmark of the original Fairgrounds that is off limits to deletion (though not additions) is the Gauntlet with the Golden Monk (you'll know it if you see it).

Also, from here on, in order to avoid receiving e-mails with very similar questions, if you have a question concerning the contest, please post here in this thread.

Nephrenia

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the healthy extension!! :) I'll do my best to come up with something amazing by then!

Not to worry, I've already started plotting, brainstorming and working at it.

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Contestant list updated to reflect the teaming up of Basara and BlissMarie! Is a team name in the works?

A quick note guys that I will be out of touch the next few days as I am moving to a new place and will be without internet for a little bit. However I will be able to check my e-mail and PMs here and there (likely from a local place or a friends house) if anything.

On separate note, at the moment I am not able to respond to e-mails sent to my uoem.net address (this is temporary), however rest assured that I read every single one of them (including the very few that somehow were filtered to my spam folder).

Whitestar4016

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just so we're clear whats the new deadline date? is it still July 2 (already past) or is it September? Just wondering sometimes I'm a bit thick head:wall:
Enjoy all
Whitestar

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The additional garbage can is for those types bringing their Blues into Luna to sell their Powerscrolls, and wouldn't recognize the goat as a garbage can, even if it was named "I'm the Luna Garbage can, Dammit!".

I really wish they'd bring back the separate Tram-ruleset and Fel "General" chat channels as standard - When the trash talk starts between the PvPers, the only thing getting PKed is intelligent thought.
I thought about the fact that Mesanna probably knows how the general UO population tends to think and knew some people would not think to use the goat as a place to dispose of things.

I do wonder why the goat's butt is facing the world. I think there might be a message there and think it might be meant for me, since I have been so outspoken about the West Brit Bank Redecoration (which remains unfinished). I hope not, but I guess it is possible. Someone, who shall remain nameless, but shall be described as the one who had his tongue preserved in a jar by Mesanna, suggested the goat's message might be "Kiss My ***." Think so? I don't know her, but I assumed she was nice and I've heard she has a sense of humor, so maybe...

Concerning the PvP trash talk. It is ridiculous. Every shard I go to sounds like the same people - using different names. I never hear anything new... no unique thoughts. It's just the same stale insults.

Contestant list updated to reflect the teaming up of Basara and BlissMarie! Is a team name in the works?
Team name? I like "Basara & BlissMarie" just fine. Something better might come to mind. I haven't discussed it with Basara. He might have some thoughts on it.

Hey Pallando, will you ask Mesanna to turn Phil around, please? No, not 360 degrees. =) While you are asking, will you ask her to fix him to where he can accept trash? Some of us would prefer to fill (Phil) the goat. I don't see anything wrong with having a can and a goat. Lake Austin's Luna Bank has the best looking trash can area of any I have seen on any shard. Thanks for that, Pallando and Mesanna. Oh, Dexter, too... he started it, as far as I know.

Also, thank you for the new extended deadline for fairgrounds submissions. That should work just fine.

I was Excited (oddly enough) when I heard that the goat was also supposed to be a trash can. Doesn't work tho, you have to use the one next to him dammit. ah well.

You made me laugh with your comments. =) Thank you. As you might have read, above, I asked Pallando to ask Mesanna to make an adjustment or two to Phil. I hope she does.

Just so we're clear whats the new deadline date? is it still July 2 (already past) or is it September? Just wondering sometimes I'm a bit thick head:wall:
Since Pallando said he wasn't going to be around for a bit, I hope you don't mind if I answer this. The new due date is August 30th.

BlissMarie

B

Beer_Cayse

The goat could be munching on the plants that are nearby ... Frankly I like the "kiss it" posture! <shrug> It lends character to the otherwise drab neighborhood.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The goat could be munching on the plants that are nearby ... Frankly I like the "kiss it" posture! <shrug> It lends character to the otherwise drab neighborhood.
Omg, you again!

Yeah, eating... I'm pretty sure that is what he is doing. :p

It is just like a goat to raise a little stink.

BlissMarie

Speaking of stink...

Have you heard about the corpse flower?

"Amorphophallus titanum, more politely referred to as titan arum or the corpse flower, has gained its celebrity status by having one of the largest, rarest, and smelliest flowers in the world. These flowers can reach heights of 7-10 ft and a diameter of 5-6 ft."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmns/sets/72157624313053793/

You can watch it live here:
http://www.click2houston.com/video/10913036/index.html

Hush that! Someone will be interested! =)

B

Beer_Cayse

Omg, you again!
er, yup. Your favorite groupie! <shrug>

Yeah, eating... I'm pretty sure that is what he is doing. :p
Ummmm, it was the best I could supply in this nice family-oriented atmosphere! Yeesh!

Have you heard about the corpse flower?
Now that's flippin' wierd! Never heard of the plant before ... very interesting.

I'm understanding this fruit is quite ummmm, stinky as well: Durian

I watch the Travel Channel every so often ... the pudgy fellow Andrew Zimmern who eats a lot of wierd stuff. This one made him actually ummm react. Yeah, that's the word.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
=^..^=

er, yup. Your favorite groupie! <shrug>
I could use a few more good groupies. I have a shortage these days.
Supposedly, advertising is a good thing. We'll see. =)

I'm understanding this fruit is quite ummmm, stinky as well: Durian
Yum, Durian! Let's dine! I will bring my ozone generator. You bring the fruit.

Actually, I don't think I would ever taste it. I would think something that smells like that, when fresh, is trying to say, "Do NOT eat me!"

In case someone is thinking I have, once again, hijacked a thread, you are mistaken. This kind of banter gets my creative juices flowing. I need all the creativity I can must for this redesign project! =) *hopes the mods think that makes sense*

BlissMarie

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a heads up that I am back (the move was a little more lengthy and difficult than it should have been) and steaming ahead with planning for the next event.

For those of you that were present for the discovery of the mysterious crystal in the Britain Throne Room, the crystal is now on display (in a very nice display I might add) in the castle for anyone who wants to check it out.

Whitestar4016

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info Bliss, would you believe I forgot to look back here until now. :dunce: Anyhow thanks again I'll try to actually submit something myself. That is as long as reallife doesn't get in the way.
Fyi: If you get bed bugs most insecticides don't kill them anymore. BUT IT WILL SCATTER THEM ALL OVER THE F&^%&ING HOUSE. :yell:
(current real life issue)(there are insecticides that still work, but ya gotta pay, don't cheap your way out. Its too expensive)
anybody curious here's a link for ya.
Enjoy
Whitestar

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/good_day_ny/battling-bedbugs-20100706

http://tv.bedbugcentral.com/:thumbup1:

Nephrenia

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just sent you my entry. Hope you like it! If you have any questions regarding it, you can email me back at the address of the entry. Thanks!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I sent a revised entry in, with coordinates, as requested, via PM and an email to Messana for her to forward to you (I mislaid your email address for it, and wasn't logged into stratics at the time). The mail is fractionally longer, as there is a 5000 character limit to PM size that required trimming some details.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pallando-

Whew, I just barely made it before the deadline, but I sent our entry information to your email and in a PM.

I will write more, before too long.

Basara, thanks. =)

BlissMarie