• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making another Avatar Crash

D

debslee

Ok my eyes were opened last night when I learned that with scripting you can make another avatar crash - i.e booted from Second Life..... I think I experienced this last night - I shall not go into detail. I want to know is this true, is it possible? If so, and you know or have an idea of who could be doing it, is there some form of recourse? Just wanna open this up for discussion. Your thoughts?

K

Katheryne

One problem with running a game that is so dependent on scripts is that one can easily fall victim to a rogue script - or a malformed one. While I'm pretty sure SL's system offers adequate protection against script attacks, I also believe that its error trapping is not near as robust as it needs to be. By that, I mean that it is next to impossible to affect one's computer outside the SL environment with a rogue script; however, crashing is certainly possible. I have found myself crashing more often when around certain avatars, but I believe it's purely accidental. Then again, there have been times where I could single-handedly lag an entire sim just from all the scripted objects I'd be wearing :eek:

All the same, however - I do not recommend running Second Life using a computer account that has automatic elevation to admin privileges. I recommend only running it from within a Windows XP/2000 normal user account, a Windows Vista account with UAC enabled, any Linux account, and any Mac account that uses sudo-based account elevation -- and never log on as root!

D

debslee

Kat, I agree, however, the person I was with last night, said that they knew how to purposefully crash another avatar...and have watched someone do it. I have yet to have this person actually prove it to me, thats why I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this or knew of it.

Good pointers though!