• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Making a sleep immunity timer... make a disarm immunity timer.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Targets will be immune to Sleep for 26 seconds after the initial stupor effect beings, and immune to Mass Sleep is for 20 seconds.

Since you're fixing people spamming this spell on targets is there a way we could get something like this added to the disarm special move also?

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hurray, yea not only disarm, but also other spells such as paralyze and blood oath, either that or remove immunities.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I could get behind a disarm immunity timer, as well. Though, 26 seconds seems excessive.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hurray, yea not only disarm, but also other spells such as paralyze and blood oath, either that or remove immunities.
Add timers remove trapped boxes. More of an immunity timer with the higher resisting spells skill you have. I think blood oath's fine though.

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or that boxes can only be trapped with GM tinker, and do massive damage, none of the <10 dmg that the 35-45 skill tinkers make for the currently used boxes.

S

Stupid Miner

Boxes need fixed period. I wouldn't even care if people used Trapped boxes; IF THEY BROKE AFTER 1 USE!

Kind of like the old "magic trapped pouches" 1 use; done.

Get resist people. :(
Sure, if they completely remove LRC.

Not sure why people dislike trap boxes. If no one's running with resist, exploit it to its fullest benefit! Mana Drain, Mana Vampire, Blood Oath, Curse, Pain Spike, or whatever! It's actually to the Mage's benefit if they exploit their advantage.

Besides, wasting 120 skill points to overcome a few overpowered spells is ridiculous anyway.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, if they completely remove LRC.

Not sure why people dislike trap boxes. If no one's running with resist, exploit it to its fullest benefit! Mana Drain, Mana Vampire, Blood Oath, Curse, Pain Spike, or whatever! It's actually to the Mage's benefit if they exploit their advantage.

Besides, wasting 120 skill points to overcome a few overpowered spells is ridiculous anyway.
Did you play PRE-AOS? Because if you did; I think you must of hated UO. Considering EVERY MAGE SPELL had to do with resist; and anything with any magery OWNED YOU with 0 resist.

And if you didn't; it explains your mindset. And that isn't your fault. AOS catered to the "non-resist" generation.

S

Stupid Miner

Did you play PRE-AOS? Because if you did; I think you must of hated UO. Considering EVERY MAGE SPELL had to do with resist; and anything with any magery OWNED YOU with 0 resist.

And if you didn't; it explains your mindset. And that isn't your fault. AOS catered to the "non-resist" generation.
Pre-AoS Resist =/= Post-AoS Resist
They're entirely different skills with the same name.

If you want a fundamental restructuring for how Magic Resist works? I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Also... not entirely sure why you brought Pre-AoS Resist into the discussion, since the majority of the thread seems to be talking about Post-AoS resist.

Oh and to the OP:
Sleep *is* incredibly underpowered with these changes, trap boxes aren't the problem, the fact that the spell is affected by them is the problem. They could easily code in a damage threshold that'd have to be overcome to break Sleep. Perhaps if it'd only break after an accumulated 25 damage was taken?

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... and the main thing I was talking about was making an immunity timer for disarm like they're doing for sleep. IMO they should do away with one for sleep and add it for disarm... maybe not 26 seconds or w/e they're planning but something to avoid the "skillful" chain disarm a lot of people abuse. Oh and make shields effected by disarm also.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone gave a half way decent reason why their shouldn't be an immunity timer on disarm. So what about something like this. Sort of setup like the immunity on concussion blow now, where it becomes less effective over time.

A slight bonus is given to a melee/wrestling char with 120 skill, less to an archer (wouldn't be as adept at securing their weapon), and then a very very slight decrease to a mage weapon (since it isn't real melee skill)

Something like this:

Melee/Wrestle char:

100% disarm chance after dci check on first try
75% disarm chance after dci check on second
50% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
25% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
25% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
25% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

(for sake of argument, cap this at 25% diminshed, say for if someones about to die, and their last hope is to cross their fingers and land a lucky disarm.

Archer:

85% disarm chance after dci check on second
60% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
45% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
45% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
45% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

Mage Weapon/non fighting skill:

90% disarm chance after dci check on second
80% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
70% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
70% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
70% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

It would never get to a point where you couldn't theoretically still chain disarm, but it would be much more difficult. This means, if you were chain disarming, and your chance was diminished, there still would be a chance for you to disarm your opponent in a dire situation where you needed to.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone gave a half way decent reason why their shouldn't be an immunity timer on disarm. So what about something like this. Sort of setup like the immunity on concussion blow now, where it becomes less effective over time.

A slight bonus is given to a melee/wrestling char with 120 skill, less to an archer (wouldn't be as adept at securing their weapon), and then a very very slight decrease to a mage weapon (since it isn't real melee skill)

Something like this:

Melee/Wrestle char:

75% disarm chance after dci check on second
50% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
25% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
25% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
25% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

(for sake of argument, cap this at 25% diminshed, say for if someones about to die, and their last hope is to cross their fingers and land a lucky disarm.

Archer:

85% disarm chance after dci check on second
60% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
45% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
45% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
45% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

Mage Weapon/non fighting skill:

90% disarm chance after dci check on second
80% disarm chance after dci check on 3rd
70% disarm chance after dci check on 4th
70% disarm chance after dci check on 5th
70% disarm chance after dci check on 6th

It would never get to a point where you couldn't theoretically still chain disarm, but it would be much more difficult. This means, if you were chain disarming, and your chance was diminished, there still would be a chance for you to disarm your opponent in a dire situation where you needed to.
I think a 15 second immunity as soon as you're effected by disarm would suffice. That way you still have what? about 7 seconds? to do something with a weapon on instead of continually being w/o a weapon at 0% defence.

A

A Rev

No disarm immunity...no immunities full stop

Make it diminishing returns type thing as cetric said would be good

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think a 15 second immunity as soon as you're effected by disarm would suffice. That way you still have what? about 7 seconds? to do something with a weapon on instead of continually being w/o a weapon at 0% defence.
Thats what i kind of was thinking originally, but then i realized, what would be stopping me from still disarming you every 15 seconds? Granted, in the diminsihing returns style you could still chain it, but eventually you might as well stop trying. So if you were fighting someone who wanted to chain disarm you and laugh at you, after they do it 3 times, if they still kept trying you would be laying offense on them, and they would just be hitting you with base damage trying to get it off.

If i knew there was a 15 second timer and all i was planning on doing was disarming someone, i know full well id be re-arming my fork every 15 seconds lol.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats what i kind of was thinking originally, but then i realized, what would be stopping me from still disarming you every 15 seconds? Granted, in the diminsihing returns style you could still chain it, but eventually you might as well stop trying. So if you were fighting someone who wanted to chain disarm you and laugh at you, after they do it 3 times, if they still kept trying you would be laying offense on them, and they would just be hitting you with base damage trying to get it off.

If i knew there was a 15 second timer and all i was planning on doing was disarming someone, i know full well id be re-arming my fork every 15 seconds lol.
Meh, I figure scrap the whole idea and do what I have posted in your other forum.

(Any weapon skill) + (Tactics) /2 = Base Defensive Skill

It seems to have the greatest effect at effecting all templates equally. And add shields to the disarm effect also to avoid overpowering parry dexers and mages.

Sure they'd be able to chain it still, but it would only prevent you from dealing damage and NOT leave you open for every attack coming your way while disarmed.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually there was a slate of PvP balance stuff that was on test about a year or so ago. Regarding healing potions, special abilities and stuff like that.
One of those special abilities was disarm which did almost exactly as was described above with reducing the chance to disarm a target that had been recently disarmed.

Players complained quite a bit and so most of those balances were yanked (including the disarm one).

This is not to say that something else may not be proposed later to address those issues.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually there was a slate of PvP balance stuff that was on test about a year or so ago. Regarding healing potions, special abilities and stuff like that.
One of those special abilities was disarm which did almost exactly as was described above with reducing the chance to disarm a target that had been recently disarmed.

Players complained quite a bit and so most of those balances were yanked (including the disarm one).

This is not to say that something else may not be proposed later to address those issues.
I remember that, i remember most of the diminishing returns being really annoying, and didn't seem to work very well.

That being said, i do not think i tested nor knew disarm was a part of that.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember that, i remember most of the diminishing returns being really annoying, and didn't seem to work very well.

That being said, i do not think i tested nor knew disarm was a part of that.
I sent him my new defense calculation idea. Hopefully he will see it as a good idea.

X

XavierGL

Well if your talking about adding delays to disarm, why not add a delay to everything?? For example, a char with ninjitsu can instantly go into animal form and be off your screen in a heartbeat, but in order for a mage to cast polymorph there is a casting delay. Make them more compairable. Add delays to the weapon specials, there is nothing worse than playing a mage then a dexxor hitting you with endless AI's, of bleeds, or concussion blows, while there is nothing a mage can do as they have to stop to cast hence a delay for specials as well. Ohh and my biggest pet peave on the whole thing, add a delay for pot tossing, doesn't matter if they nerf it with this patch or not but an archer hitting with an AI and tossing 2 explosion pots is crazy. Add delays to all skills make things more balanced and I really believe the old vets with start coming back to uo.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if your talking about adding delays to disarm, why not add a delay to everything?? For example, a char with ninjitsu can instantly go into animal form and be off your screen in a heartbeat, but in order for a mage to cast polymorph there is a casting delay. Make them more compairable. Add delays to the weapon specials, there is nothing worse than playing a mage then a dexxor hitting you with endless AI's, of bleeds, or concussion blows, while there is nothing a mage can do as they have to stop to cast hence a delay for specials as well. Ohh and my biggest pet peave on the whole thing, add a delay for pot tossing, doesn't matter if they nerf it with this patch or not but an archer hitting with an AI and tossing 2 explosion pots is crazy. Add delays to all skills make things more balanced and I really believe the old vets with start coming back to uo.
This is an old idea. I came up with something different that'd be more effective and benefit all templates fairly.