• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making a new tamer template

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is actually going to be my first tamer build on a production shard, I've toyed with them here and there on test centers but I havn't been playing for ~4/5 years now. Now what I wanted to do was a peace or provoc tamer. However I was wondering how "nessecary" it is to have 120 Taming/Vet on a tamer. What I'm most concerned about is if I will need 120's to effectivley tame/control a greater dragon and bond it. I have a almost finished mage/bard template with Music at 100% and Provocation jewled to 116.something. I'd like to have music and provocation 120'd for sure. The problem I'm having is that if I have these four skills at 120 that only leaves me room for 100 Vet 100 Mage 30Meditation. 710 Cap

Any suggestions to make an effective peace tamer? Really I just want something to bring to champs other then my bard because I can't afford the gear to bring my melee up to snuff..

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, well you definatly dont NEED 120 taming or vet. 110 taming would be fine for controling a GD. And as for vet, Id say 100 would be fine. Really the only reason I have 120 taming lore and vet on my peace tamer is for stable slots. My other peace tamer only has 110 taming and around 102 vet. Works just fine. And as to the suggestions for peace tamers, this is the temp I use:
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
110 magery
110 music
115 peace

And I also didn't see animal lore mentioned in your post.. you arnt forgetting about that are you? :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is actually going to be my first tamer build on a production shard, I've toyed with them here and there on test centers but I havn't been playing for ~4/5 years now. Now what I wanted to do was a peace or provoc tamer. However I was wondering how "nessecary" it is to have 120 Taming/Vet on a tamer. What I'm most concerned about is if I will need 120's to effectivley tame/control a greater dragon and bond it. I have a almost finished mage/bard template with Music at 100% and Provocation jewled to 116.something. I'd like to have music and provocation 120'd for sure. The problem I'm having is that if I have these four skills at 120 that only leaves me room for 100 Vet 100 Mage 30Meditation. 710 Cap

Any suggestions to make an effective peace tamer? Really I just want something to bring to champs other then my bard because I can't afford the gear to bring my melee up to snuff..
Ok, 120 taming will, as Lady Arwen rightly points out, get you more stable slots. It will also help you to tame new high-end pets. But for that extra boost, you can simply eat the 120 scroll on a 110 skilled tamer and add a jewel whenever you need to fetch a new pet.

How I'd work a single skill bard tamer would be like this:
110 Tame
110 Lore
110 Vet
110 Music (song woven mantle arms can give you another 10 skill to hit 120)
120 Peace, Disco or Voke
100 Magery
40 Med, or 60 if you have 720 skill cap. Or use the +15 skill spellbook and steal some points from your magery skill.

Now, depending on what you have, you could add barding skill items to the character and free up more skill points. I would always use items on the barding side rather than taming side as that ensures you don't have any control issues if you command pets when newly resurrected. If it's clinging on to life, you don't want your pet saying "no" when you call it back :D

I would suggest disco over peace, as it is great not just for hunting, but also speeding up the training of your pets. You basically disco a pet and that enables it to gain faster when fighting the right opponent etc.

But there is nothing stopping you from soulstoning peacemaking for times when you wanted to tame with it. Quite a few tamers do exactly that.

My favourite bard template is a lot tighter, because I put disco and voke on it for some crowd control and targeted disco. I wanted a character that could function with or without pets as I don't have a "pure" bard char.

This is my bard tamer:
110 tame
110 vet
100 lore
110 music (with song woven mantle to 120)
105 disco
105 provo
80 magery

Her skill cap is 720.

I have skill items for the disco and provo so they can go to 120, but I tend to just boost the disco most of the time. Often I use neither, it just depends what the barding difficulty of my target is and how much the pets cope with by themselves.

I haven't quite hit her lock point on the barding skills yet, so I'm still debating whether I let disco hit 120 real skill and lock real voke at 90, boosting that with items as required. But anyway, that's roughly the template, and so far it's been workable and fun!

Wenchy

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what I aim for in real skills for my peace tamers:

120 Taming
110 Animal Lore
105 or 110 Veterinary
120 Musicianship
120 Peacemaking
100 Magery
40 or 45 Meditation (depending on Veterinary level)

While the character is still being trained up, I do use Taming and sometimes also Animal Lore jewelry as well as the Birds of Britannia talisman to get both skills to 115 or 120, if I can afford the power scrolls to do so.

I generally only go to 105 for Vet skill unless I experience substantial lag on that shard. Then I go for 110 Vet skill to try to compensate a bit for the lagginess.

I've never used jewelry or items for the Musicianship or Peacemaking skills, preferring instead to just let them raise on their own over time through normal game play. It means that the character isn't all that effective with peacing some of the hard stuff until the Musicianship and Peacemaking skills hit GM or better, but is good incentive to keep working on those skills, along with the taming.

I try to include as many Mana Regen and Lower Mana Cost items in the tamer's suit as possible to compensate for the low Meditation skill. I will usually let Meditation raise to about 80 and then turn it down once I've reached the 720 total skill cap so that it decreases a little bit every day as gains are achieved in the other skills.

My end goal with these characters is to not be using any type of skill jewelry on them at all so that I have more flexibility in building their suits. Also, several of them are in factions and having high real skill can be helpful while in the skill loss period after dying, if I choose to try to do something during that time, rather than just sit it out. I'm also assuming that at some point we will either completely lose the ability to use skills jewelry or it will have some sort of penalty attached to it.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, the real skill is always much better even if I do have a bard that uses skill items, I agree 100% with you :) And a single skill bard can always be made to use real skill.

The reason I built Blue the way I have is that she's a replacement for my old school bard with peace/provo. She came from the days when you didn't need anything over GM, oh happy days! :D The original didn't twink at all, but sadly if you're going to be a bard tamer these days you have to push towards 120 for skills, and 2 bard skills are a menace these days. I need to do something with her, the suit she runs is lethal. I don't mean that in the good way either ;)

It's her dependancy on magery that's the spanner in the works for Blue's skill in barding, but the more I run my necro weaver without an invis spell, the more feasible it is to drop magery to something like 50. Or use something else. There's always invis pots... One of the regen ninja forms is pretty low on skill requirement, possibly coupling that with a bracelet of health and a really strong suit on resists.

Only big downside is I'm going to be trod on by my own pets when in a tiny form.... A lot!

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With 110 taming and lore, the only two pets you'll have trouble with (and the trouble is pretty insignificant in the long run) are fire steeds and dread war horses.

With 105 or less in both taming and lore, you can cross out the two big horses and then add in cu sidhe, hiryu and any kind of dragon to the "troublesome" list.

My tamer has 110 taming, lore and 100 vet (at the moment, thinking about revisions, right now my extra 40 points are in focus) and does better than a lot of fully developed tamers in a lot of situations.

C

controlfive

i went 110 taming, 110 lore, 80 vet to make my template as efficient as possible. the only time i NEED to vet is at grizzle, so having it at gm or higher is a waste of points. you may want higher vet if you collect pets, use a pack, etc. i only use 2 greater drags, 2 kitsunes, a rune beetle, and a cu, so it doesn't affect me.

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well TBH the only reason I wanted to do the bard/tamer is for champ spawns. I've actually deicided to go with provoc for now since I have a bard mage right now. I'm pulling Wrestling/Resist/EvalINT off the bard mage and putting taming/lore/vet on her to as a replacement.

My goal will be something like this, provocation is the only thing I have scrolled right now though so it is a serious work in progress.

120 Provocation
120 Music
120 Taming
110 Lore
105 Vet
100 Magery
35 Meditation

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well TBH the only reason I wanted to do the bard/tamer is for champ spawns. I've actually deicided to go with provoc for now since I have a bard mage right now. I'm pulling Wrestling/Resist/EvalINT off the bard mage and putting taming/lore/vet on her to as a replacement.

My goal will be something like this, provocation is the only thing I have scrolled right now though so it is a serious work in progress.

120 Provocation
120 Music
120 Taming
110 Lore
105 Vet
100 Magery
35 Meditation

Thanks again for the input everyone.
Provo should do you very well then, I'm having a lot of fun with provo in there too :)

Wenchy