• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make West Brit Bank great again... ?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What may I ask does the law of averages have to do with anything? and when did they appear in the terms of reference?. The original post and i quote,said,

'You could add or remove as much as you wanted to west Brit bank. No ones coming unless they want a circle.'

Nothing there about averages. If the players on ANY shard use the bank then the law of averages means absolutely zilch. I see another poster has stated that the Asian shards use it too. Therefore a bald statement that NO ONE ELSE will be using the bank seems somewhat over the top and has no relevance to any law of averages. At least one shard and possibly others make this statement erroneous. Bringing in extra qualifiers does not make it correct. As Morbeus said if you haven't been why comment?. On Europa, West Brit Bank IS used and hopefully long may it continue.
The response is on the premise he is referring to all shards.

This was inferred when he asked to get rid of all moongates and then said at least on Europa.

So given that we know some people will still use it on X amount of shards, some shards don't use it much at all except for a circle, we can apply an average.

The law of averages simply looks at historical use and the trending use going lower.

So if we look at them balancing out using the law of averages usage isn't going to pick up.

This was also a response to Morbeus, unless you are Morbeus.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have complained about some of the EM/GM deco in the past but no one seems interested in getting rid of it. I think city elected mayors do have some control over these situations. I believe they are allowed one decorated building thing a year. I believe most redo their offices though. Our Trinsic mayor has hinted that with the proper bribe he could have the piano area removed from the Trinsic west bank on Legends :p I think some people see some of this nonsense as shrines to pasts EMs. But if they look wonky they should go. Who leaves a piano outside in the weather for years? :)
I don't know what shard you play on but on GLs we've been told again and again that the EMs are NOT our decorators and we are NOT allowed to have ANYTHING deco'd ever.... we can't place any deco and we can't have the EMs decorate anything for us...

I personally like things that make shards "unique"... If no extra stuff was ever allowed all shards would be 100% identical and BORING. There would be no reason to care about your home shard, nothing to keep you there or in-game for that matter.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't know what shard you play on but on GLs we've been told again and again that the EMs are NOT our decorators and we are NOT allowed to have ANYTHING deco'd ever.... we can't place any deco and we can't have the EMs decorate anything for us...

I personally like things that make shards "unique"... If no extra stuff was ever allowed all shards would be 100% identical and BORING. There would be no reason to care about your home shard, nothing to keep you there or in-game for that matter.
Mayors can make a request once a year for deco. Doesn't mean they'll get it. I like unique shards also. I don't play Legends for the deco, lol. But the deco has to make sense. Statues stuck all over from the crate exploit and such should be cleaned up also. Flowing rivers and such on top of banks and similar are just dumb.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mayors can make a request once a year for deco. Doesn't mean they'll get it.
In my experience, this very rarely actually happens. When I was the governor of Yew on Atlantic I requested a couple minor decorations be added because people asked me to. It took a year and a half for the decorations to appear, at that point I wasn't even a governor anymore, and 1 of the 3 things I requested never showed up, despite the fact the approved decoration was dropped into the EM's mailbox with a book specifying exactly where to put it. I have heard many similar stories from other governors.

It was discussed with the King and EM the day before the item was dropped into the EM's mailbox, both the item and the location were approved. When I went to check the mailbox after seeing the first two items locked down but not the third, there were zero items in the mailbox which means someone must have picked up the bag containing all three items and the book. It still mystifies me what happened to that item, and how it disappeared while the other 2 were locked down as requested. The item was a big church bell type of graphic that we asked to be put above the door of Empath Abbey.

Some other changes requested by the majority of the Yew governors across the shards at the same time were Yew Docks (Which have been added to all shards and look great) and that the Ankh inside Empath Abbey be turned into a functional Ankh that you can tithe gold to, lock your karma etc. instead of being a purely decorative one that does nothing.

The docks were approved and created, the ankh still does nothing.

I just really don't understand how they decide which changes are ok and which are not.... adding docks which actually have to have someone hand build them piece by piece is apparently fine, but yet replacing one ankh with a different type of ankh which I would assume would take about 5 minutes is not fine lol.

:wall:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brit bank (along with Vesper- used to have a decent group there too on Atlantic) started dying the moment Luna was opened up and was given the killing blow when the next town invasion rolled through. There is no reason to go to any bank other than Luna, because everything is right there.

And even if they were to put all the vendors around the bank like in Luna, it still won't work, because of town invasions and all the houses right there.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well they could treat the city invasions to destroy the cities like Magincia and rebuild all the cities on the 20th anniversary. Not copy Luna but do something similar with closer access to shops. Basically redesign the cities. Give UO a new face lift.

Then they could create a player housing zone near the new cities

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mayors can make a request once a year for deco. Doesn't mean they'll get it. I like unique shards also. I don't play Legends for the deco, lol. But the deco has to make sense. Statues stuck all over from the crate exploit and such should be cleaned up also. Flowing rivers and such on top of banks and similar are just dumb.
That's your opinion but SOMEONE designed that.... and spent a LOT of time doing so... and it WON a competition... therefore if you don't like it .... well sorry.

As for the crap like the statues (which if you have been to Brit Bank on GLs looks like some grand memorial or something its awful the number of statues stuck there...) along with stew, water troughs, hammers, paintings, boat parts (many of those poles for getting pirates back to the emporium).... carpet... and the thousands of pieces of rubble still stuck all over Magincia..... NEED to Go...

But I've complained about that for ages... even offered to go pick it all up... and put it in a crate or two or 10 for them...

Even offered to fix the coasts in the EC or even at the very least make @Kyronix a BIG HUGE list of all of the locations where this appears all over the lands in the EC because I for one think it makes the game look like hell and think it honestly makes you wonder if the DEVs give a rats about how the game looks:

But my guess is no one but me gives a damn about this... Imagine a new player looking at this crap? What is their take on this going to be? This is how they are seeing it in the EC.... this is the image the DEVs allow and accept and it's EVERYWHERE.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That's your opinion but SOMEONE designed that.... and spent a LOT of time doing so... and it WON a competition... therefore if you don't like it .... well sorry.

As for the crap like the statues (which if you have been to Brit Bank on GLs looks like some grand memorial or something its awful the number of statues stuck there...) along with stew, water troughs, hammers, paintings, boat parts (many of those poles for getting pirates back to the emporium).... carpet... and the thousands of pieces of rubble still stuck all over Magincia..... NEED to Go...

But I've complained about that for ages... even offered to go pick it all up... and put it in a crate or two or 10 for them...

Even offered to fix the coasts in the EC or even at the very least make @Kyronix a BIG HUGE list of all of the locations where this appears all over the lands in the EC because I for one think it makes the game look like hell and think it honestly makes you wonder if the DEVs give a rats about how the game looks:

But my guess is no one but me gives a damn about this... Imagine a new player looking at this crap? What is their take on this going to be? This is how they are seeing it in the EC.... this is the image the DEVs allow and accept and it's EVERYWHERE.
Sure a river on top of a building makes perfect sense to me. NP

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I prefer a realistic look myself. However, once when speaking of my castle I had someone reply "Oh the one with the magical floating goza stairs". My response was "Yes, the castle with the magic floating goza stairs, that we magically recall, teleport, and gate travel to."

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also play classic client. I would be more concerned with the EC client showing water spots on land where it was not intended to be. Rather than an intentional preference. Those pics of the EC client above look like crap. Why would anyone play for graphics that are half assed?

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The Europa WBB Redesign Competition was won by Slugmaster back in 2009, with the initial design not including the inside. It was then changed to include a redesign of the interior - personally, compared to the Fel version, it's a much nicer place to attend now. Bearing in mind the Fel one is covered in barrels, it's not exactly the most appealing place to visit...!

I don't see how removing the decoration would make it great again, however. It's only the efforts of the organisers of the WBB Bank Meet every day that gets people going to it, aside from the Arcane Circle, and the sense of community that this generates. Without it, and the help that is provided for new and returning players, I'm sure that Europa's population, and new player retention rate, would be much lower as a result.

The extra seating area was added after a request - player-crafted seating and tables used to be provided on a daily basis, but a group of petty-minded individuals were hell-bent on destroying them every time. At least now we can meet up without the fear of having the chairs chopped from beneath us! Removing the deco, and the meeting area, would return things back to that 'wonderful' situation...

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the new deco Mesanna provided fits in colours with the old one, and we who use it are happy with that, and the fact this was made for our meetings. Its a nice recognition that we are noticed for something good.