• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make it Harder to travel in fel

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is one thing that has been a huge killer to player run cities and towns, it's the ease of travel. It's this ease that has forced players to place all major vendors in 1 pre-fabricated location to operate effective vendor houses.

My belief is that travel between facets ought to be made more difficult ie: Only 1 moongate that allows travel between the facets on each facet.

The next step is to eliminate recalling/sacred journey from fel. Let's face it, if guilds were limited in their movement they'd be inclined to revive their communities. Gate spell should require 110 magery to scale with the current system of skills + items. Players would still be able to travel through sparkles, moongates and public gates but travel would be restrictive only to the point that it promote community building.

Hell, pvpers might even use the fel banks if it were a hassle to travel around. The realm might be a bit less bland.

Oh and make murder counts permanent and only long terms exist. IE: Once red, always red.

M

Mechanic

dude, just come on over to Siege, you will like it here.

however the making it harder to travel thing, all that causes is more stealthers.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is one thing that has been a huge killer to player run cities and towns, it's the ease of travel. It's this ease that has forced players to place all major vendors in 1 pre-fabricated location to operate effective vendor houses.

My belief is that travel between facets ought to be made more difficult ie: Only 1 moongate that allows travel between the facets on each facet.

The next step is to eliminate recalling/sacred journey from fel. Let's face it, if guilds were limited in their movement they'd be inclined to revive their communities. Gate spell should require 110 magery to scale with the current system of skills + items. Players would still be able to travel through sparkles, moongates and public gates but travel would be restrictive only to the point that it promote community building.

Hell, pvpers might even use the fel banks if it were a hassle to travel around. The realm might be a bit less bland.

Oh and make murder counts permanent and only long terms exist. IE: Once red, always red.

So you feel the PvP community should suffer because you FEEL you cant have a successful vendor or player run community in Fel? Thats rediculous because you are asking one side of the community to comlpetely give up thier ability of ease of travel based solely on the notion of playing in Fel. Lets also not forget what this means to reds...(they already cannot go to tram...buy from NPCs...so you want to take thier travel pass too?)

Perma reds? The only questions for you sir are:

Have you have ever gone red defending your territory? (IE: player run community or spawns)

Do you actively participate in Felucca beyond the scope of monster bashing?

If no I ask that you reconsider your statement, because there is alot more to being red than just killing others for fun...sometimes its necessary (IE: war mebbe?)

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have a question. You have trammel, Malas, tokuno. PVP has Fel. Why do you want to do anything to fel? Risk vs Reward. I really get so aggrivated when people want to change fel from what it is. FEL is how this game started. FEL is the only free place to play and do what you want in this game. Im sorry you have a hard time in fel. I use the banks in fel. I run around fel for hours without recalling or gating because im looking for a fight. Really... you need to think about your posts before you start typing.

L

Lady_Mina

once red always red?

I'm not agree-ing with that.

Sure more people would be 'stuck' in fell...lol and fell would be more populated.

But imagen your house is somewhere in malas or whatever facet besides fel...and you turn red.

Then you're foced to beg one of your friends if you can stay at their place to log and transfer stuff between your 'blue' chars and 'red' char.
And use it as a place to stack your resources (pots , regs , transfering insurance money , ect)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had a Fel based RP town for years. But I don't think restricting travel options would do anything good for passing trade. Making players travel through dangerous areas to get some RP isn't going to encourage an inexperienced PvPer to visit. It'll stop them from even trying. That's how some players view PvP, and I don't want to stop the casual player from visiting Fel.

I can see another problem with your suggestion. Griefers following RPers from the entrance to Fel, right to where they wanted to be. Then griefing the town. Just now, I can open a gate from the tavern steps or even inside the tavern so visitors are protected a little. That would just bring trouble right on in, and make controlling trouble MUCH harder for an event organiser or town.

Wenchy

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

however the making it harder to travel thing, all that causes is more stealthers.
This man speaks the truth.

So you have to start over? So what.

(I'm also guilty of the second charge.) :(

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My houses are in Fel, why exactly do you want to punish me?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I agree too everything the OP asked for is True on Siege except Perma-Red, and it removes the issue of houses on Malas ect and a Red Character.

S

Salty Pete

It would just create a choke point where all PvP would be centered which would cause Felucca to become even more of a ghost town than it is right now.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would just create a choke point where all PvP would be centered which would cause Felucca to become even more of a ghost town than it is right now.
I always liked the Trammel and Felucca moonstones. It made it difficult to move back and forth and you could it with some safety.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you feel the PvP community should suffer because you FEEL you cant have a successful vendor or player run community in Fel? Thats rediculous because you are asking one side of the community to comlpetely give up thier ability of ease of travel based solely on the notion of playing in Fel. Lets also not forget what this means to reds...(they already cannot go to tram...buy from NPCs...so you want to take thier travel pass too?)
Actually I would have npcs able to sell to reds at the desire of the faction controlling the city the npc resides in. one side? Uh new guy, I'm a heavy advocate of pvp.

Perma reds? The only questions for you sir are:
All but 2 of my characters are essentially perma red. One is newly red and the other is a mule that i switch taming skills on and off of for those horrible stints in trammel.

Have you have ever gone red defending your territory? (IE: player run community or spawns)
If you take into account my characters on every shard I play the majority of them are red and red for life at that.

Do you actively participate in Felucca beyond the scope of monster bashing?
On pacific I owned the keep outside deceit. On atlantic I own a keep near cross roads. I can be found pvping at a champ spawn almost 90% of the time I'm logged in.

If no I ask that you reconsider your statement, because there is alot more to being red than just killing others for fun...sometimes its necessary (IE: war mebbe?)
I never said being red was just killing others for fun. In fact if you read my proposal I advocated more territory and prestiege for us to fight over.

Remember the old days when that kinda thing existed? One of the most leading reasons for that was travel restriction. Most people couldn't get from point A to B in an instant. Territory was not only important but knowing whose territory you would pass was worth more than gold often times.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The primary reason I don't play siege is skill gain is entirely too tedious. I have a character there with 90+ in 3-4 skills but I gained 3 of those skills when siege came out and it was easy to gain them.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a question. You have trammel, Malas, tokuno. PVP has Fel.
I don't have trammel, malas, ilsh and tokuno guy. I have fel. I wouldn't trade it for any of those wretched lands.
Why do you want to do anything to fel? Risk vs Reward.
I live and breathe fel pvp. I couldn't play UO if there wasn't group and solo oriented pvp at all turns. I would like more to fight over, travel restrictions would result in increased value to land and thus more for us to fight over. I know most of you newer pvpers don't realize this but territory can often be more enjoyable to fight over than items. Nothing like saying this land is mine.

I really get so aggrivated when people want to change fel from what it is. FEL is how this game started. FEL is the only free place to play and do what you want in this game.
Yep, and with folks just wisking around all willy nilly fel has been dishonored. It's full of people like you who don't remember how great the game was when you only needed to venture 5 screens in the wrong direction to find yourself in a hairy situation.
Im sorry you have a hard time in fel. I use the banks in fel. I run around fel for hours without recalling or gating because im looking for a fight. Really... you need to think about your posts before you start typing.
LOL. Okay guy. And who do you find? one lone nobody? a crafter? wouldn't you prefer, by your own statement we know already that you would, to run across more like minded people?

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey.they fixing rot in a couple wks, it will be on test next week. so get ur skills up to 70! Sp rules, no trammel and lots of fighting and faction activity;)

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
once red always red?
Better red than dead as the UO saying goes.

I'm not agree-ing with that.
okay....
Sure more people would be 'stuck' in fell...lol and fell would be more populated.
No more hiding behind guard zones for people just as guilty as yourself. No more going to trammel to macro your counts off. You stay in the big leagues with your fellow player. I don't know any pvper that has ever left yew gate that would honestly care if they were made red forever beyond losing out on a few protection scrolls.

But imagen your house is somewhere in malas or whatever facet besides fel...and you turn red.
You shouldn't go making bad decisions if you're ill prepared. thats about as good an argument as saying what if your miner kills other miners and is now stuck in the world with the other pks and you aren't prepared to compete.... Thats the same kinda argument that folks who refuse to pvp make just made in different terms.

Then you're foced to beg one of your friends if you can stay at their place to log and transfer stuff between your 'blue' chars and 'red' char.
And use it as a place to stack your resources (pots , regs , transfering insurance money , ect)
You don't have these things in bulk on your pk? How did you go red?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had a Fel based RP town for years. But I don't think restricting travel options would do anything good for passing trade. Making players travel through dangerous areas to get some RP isn't going to encourage an inexperienced PvPer to visit. It'll stop them from even trying. That's how some players view PvP, and I don't want to stop the casual player from visiting Fel.

I can see another problem with your suggestion. Griefers following RPers from the entrance to Fel, right to where they wanted to be. Then griefing the town. Just now, I can open a gate from the tavern steps or even inside the tavern so visitors are protected a little. That would just bring trouble right on in, and make controlling trouble MUCH harder for an event organiser or town.

Wenchy
Frankly, you're not rping anything but pacifists if you aren't protecting your town.... I've been part of a RP town. We had a citizen's militia and everything. Most passing PKs didn't even bother unless they could bring on a full raid, in which case the rp and the pvp was spectacular. Remember, it's not really rp if you aren't actually playing out the full role.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Siege's skill gain system is more mind numbing than the horrible ggs system in place on the other shards. I've not only got a character on siege, I've got event items from my stint there.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My houses are in Fel, why exactly do you want to punish me?
Mine are too and I couldn't be more excited about the prospect of travel being like the old days. It wouldn't be as restrictive as you seem to think, most folks in fel are mages anyway. However those not playing on mages would be more reliant upon their communities, friends and guilds for better travel. Seriously, how often do people use the roads or seas anymore? Most people are too lazy to even run from the moongate in britain to the bank there and the game promotes cutting out all that space. newbs come to fel and see barren areas and think it's all unused. They're right! Only like 1 runebook is needed for a person to enjoy everything in fel.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always liked the Trammel and Felucca moonstones. It made it difficult to move back and forth and you could it with some safety.
I though about this at work. Moonstones were a great aspect of the game. Perhaps we ought to have players cast gate spell on a piece of black rock for travel between realms. Thus increasing the value and usefulness of blackrock while giving us the increased difficulty of travel we need.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey.they fixing rot in a couple wks, it will be on test next week. so get ur skills up to 70! Sp rules, no trammel and lots of fighting and faction activity;)
1 character.... no real promise that the skill system will be much better than it is. Lord knows it's downright awful on normal shards too.

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a question. You have trammel, Malas, tokuno. PVP has Fel.
I don't have trammel, malas, ilsh and tokuno guy. I have fel. I wouldn't trade it for any of those wretched lands.
Why do you want to do anything to fel? Risk vs Reward.
I live and breathe fel pvp. I couldn't play UO if there wasn't group and solo oriented pvp at all turns. I would like more to fight over, travel restrictions would result in increased value to land and thus more for us to fight over. I know most of you newer pvpers don't realize this but territory can often be more enjoyable to fight over than items. Nothing like saying this land is mine.

I really get so aggrivated when people want to change fel from what it is. FEL is how this game started. FEL is the only free place to play and do what you want in this game.
Yep, and with folks just wisking around all willy nilly fel has been dishonored. It's full of people like you who don't remember how great the game was when you only needed to venture 5 screens in the wrong direction to find yourself in a hairy situation.
Im sorry you have a hard time in fel. I use the banks in fel. I run around fel for hours without recalling or gating because im looking for a fight. Really... you need to think about your posts before you start typing.
LOL. Okay guy. And who do you find? one lone nobody? a crafter? wouldn't you prefer, by your own statement we know already that you would, to run across more like minded people?
I actualy find quite a few people. And no i dont pk miners or crafters in fel. Thats really lame. I've actualy helped a few of them with stuff or monsters they couldnt kill... cause there crafters!

As for me not remembering how great fel used to be. I know you have no idea who I am, and I dont expect you to. But you should know that I have played this game since beta. I do remember when banks didnt work. I remember when there was troll spawn in destard. I remember alot of great things about fel. I used to go to player run towns and help them when pkers would come there to kill people just hanging around.. cause well.. I like to pvp. I am NOT however a mindless drone pvper. I have no specialy made characters for pvp. I still just run a scribe/mage or parry/mage. Nothing special. Maybe you need to remember what Fel is about before thinking it needs change.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly, you're not rping anything but pacifists if you aren't protecting your town.... I've been part of a RP town. We had a citizen's militia and everything. Most passing PKs didn't even bother unless they could bring on a full raid, in which case the rp and the pvp was spectacular. Remember, it's not really rp if you aren't actually playing out the full role.
Erm, I do defend my town and always have. What the heck would I be doing in Fel if I was pacifist?! I have protectors to call upon for a scrap if necessary, I'm not pacifist at all. If I was I'd have gone to Tram...

I do however know what we're capable of fighting on an average night, and appreciate that not every visitor wants to be fighting PKs on the road just to get to us. Many would simply stay in Tram, which would be a pity as I prefer to mix visitors from PvPers and reds to Tram players and assorted RPers. That's playing out a full role, and accepting that some characters aren't great warriors comes as part of it. I often travel by foot in Fel, our nearest gate is Yew, which makes for some fun runs, but I don't expect everyone to travel that way.

I just don't think these proposals will bring more players to Fel. Simple as that.

Wenchy

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I admire the few honorable pvpers we have left but i completely despise the pkers just looking to kill and loot everything that moves. The latter is nothing more than grief play and is the reason why fel is deserted and players have to be lured there to keep pvp alive. Creating a bottleneck would just continue to cater to those who people would prefer to avoid.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would revise the bottle neck to fel idea into casting gate on a piece of black rock(no matter your skill level) in trammel or in fel would open a fel/tram moongate. beyond that anyone who says they didnt like this idea is simple saying they never liked fel until it was trammelized.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm, I do defend my town and always have. What the heck would I be doing in Fel if I was pacifist?! I have protectors to call upon for a scrap if necessary, I'm not pacifist at all. If I was I'd have gone to Tram...

I do however know what we're capable of fighting on an average night, and appreciate that not every visitor wants to be fighting PKs on the road just to get to us. Many would simply stay in Tram, which would be a pity as I prefer to mix visitors from PvPers and reds to Tram players and assorted RPers. That's playing out a full role, and accepting that some characters aren't great warriors comes as part of it. I often travel by foot in Fel, our nearest gate is Yew, which makes for some fun runs, but I don't expect everyone to travel that way.

I just don't think these proposals will bring more players to Fel. Simple as that.

Wenchy
visiting a rp town isn't fun when nobody is there or has no reason to leave their houses. It's less fun when you aren't exploring but recalling in, being a tourist for 5 minutes and then leaving.

You promote a fel that promotes yew gate and champ spawn only pvp. I promote a fel with the older UO feel and the exploration/adventuring that came with it.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the way from Yew moongate to my tower on Justice peninsula by heart, same goes for the way from Skara to place behind Hedge Maze. I'm pre-Tram, so you don't have to preach to me about relaying on community. Thing is the community got broken in half or worse with Tram-Fel split when travel was made difficult! People would refuse coming to Fel because they'd get stranded there... (I made a killing selling Tram stones for 3k a piece - rotfl).

Anyway, being FORCED to travel by land is one thing that irks me on Siege. When I have nothing else to do I can wander around, and believe me I do. But when I want to go from home to bank/stable from there to a dungeon, then back and dungeon again, then home - I don't really want to walk all the time...
And - there are many types of characters nowadays that can travel magically one way or another without being mages, times where everyone had to carry regs and fizzle recall untill they succeeded at last are gone.

If you want to limit travel to casting gate etc. etc. - feel free to play Siege...

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
siege is blatantly aimed towards forcing players to buy more accounts. skill gain is mind numbingly worse on siege than the awful system we have on current shards. And 1 character is appealing only to people on siege not to people who've played with 5 characters for years.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All my houses are in Fel, and 90+% of my play occurs in Fel. However, not all my characters are mages. I have a couple dexers. My houses are on Ice Isle. I'll be danged if I have any desire to take a long boat ride to get home everytime I need something.

Before you start dogging me about that ... I AM the person that walks from the Brit Gate to the Bank, the one who walked to the SL base from the Yew Gate every single time I went there, walks to every single champ spawn from a single T2A entry point because I dont want to go out a passage and sacred or recall to another. When I want to go to the vendors near Compassion Desert? I walk there from Cove .... so ya ... I walk ALOT. But I am not interested in boating to my house.

G

galefan2004

NO! You are assuming blues are worse than reds and that is not always the case. There are so many blues that are total jerk offs. If I want to kill 4 and wait for my counts to fall off so I can kill another then that is the way the game designed, and that is the way it should stay.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i always thought id be cool if they just scraped recalling on fel's main continent and guard protected about 70% of the roads. i dunno, id like to just see people in my home world besides yew gate. *shrugs*

M

Mythic

I have a house Just to the north of the brit graveyard in fel, pretty secluded area, i mean there are some mines further north, no dungeons around for a good long hike, And I just happined to be standing on my front porch one afternoon. And to my suprise out of nowhere this ghosts pops out right in front of me OOooOoOOing about something or other, so I resurected him removed his curses. He thanked me and on his way he went. I mean, that is the secound time here recently that ive ran into someone outside yew gate or ice island. NIFTY
I guess what Im saying is that I kind of agree with the OP.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
siege is blatantly aimed towards forcing players to buy more accounts. skill gain is mind numbingly worse on siege than the awful system we have on current shards. And 1 character is appealing only to people on siege not to people who've played with 5 characters for years.
Siege was designed to be difficult, more than anything RoT levels the playing field even more since Power Gamers can't get an edge on others. The 1 character per account actually is beneficial to Siege, I can buy an entire suit of Legendary Leather Armor (Runic Made) for the 1/8th or better of 1 single piece on a regular prodo shard. The one character per account forces player interaction as you can't do everything unless you have a whole lotta Soul Stones.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
visiting a rp town isn't fun when nobody is there or has no reason to leave their houses. It's less fun when you aren't exploring but recalling in, being a tourist for 5 minutes and then leaving.

You promote a fel that promotes yew gate and champ spawn only pvp. I promote a fel with the older UO feel and the exploration/adventuring that came with it.
I'm not promoting Yew gate or champ spawns, I despise both for the damage they've done both to PvP and to dungeons I used to PvM in daily. Nor am I against people exploring Fel. The exact opposite is true. What I am against is making players sitting ducks when I know for a fact that some of my regulars would stop visiting because they hate PvP. Or is Fel supposed to be restricted to the PvPers and fighters?

I've never had any trouble running events or RPing in or outside my buildings. Not all towns are at war with all the PvPers, we're actually the opposite. I don't live in fear, nor do any of the other guys who live in town.

If you create a hot spot where players have to travel into Fel, you set up a perfect trap for griefers and wannabes. We aren't talking PvPers, we're talking trash. Hardly the sorts I'd want to meet on my first trip to Fel. If you want to encourage proper exploration of Fel, suggest random overland spawns of interesting mobs or quests that involve traveling around. That would achieve a much better result. But suggesting something where Tram players could effectively be followed and farmed isn't going to help Fel. It'll put even more people off.

Wenchy