• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make Housing Tiles, Walls, ect, craftable?

G

Hail: OK, This is a combination of 2 other post. The, "Make Towers/Keeps/castles, partly customizable, and the Add new Furniture thread.

Let carpenters make floor tiles, walls, ect, that are the same as the ones in custom house mode. First, the coding is already there for the item. Except for Rubble Walls, it affects Rares in no way.

This is a compromise to give both suggestions part of what they want. We are all doing this in a round about way anyhow. How many are using Gaza Mats as floor tiles? Or Logs, to make Walls with.

Your thoughts?

G

I believe they haven't done this because they want to keep housing tiles within a certain range in each house.

While I don't have the proof of it at hand, back YEARS ago, before AOS, there was a short time on test center when you could purchase the individual floor tiles. I was very interested in this since it was my Ideas Hall idea from an even LONGER time ago (long story there, but I digress)... anyway... from what I had read from another friend and player/poster at the time was that someone was able to build their way from well south of Minoc into Minoc itself using floortiles (also before limits on the Z axis).

So my best guess is that they're trying to refrain from Towers of Babel appearing and keeping the houses within their prescribed "boundaries".

Also, with the method used to build houses right now, you have a lower overall item count in the game and thus less lag (since they save as multis and not each individual tile separately).

However, what DOES need to happen is that there SHOULD be a cost in changing tiles even if you do not add any (right now, if you do not add nor subtract tiles, it costs nothing to redo a house). The cost should come in after a reasonable number of tiles (to fix small mistakes), but it should be there to allow house customization to retain the gold-sink ability it initially started with.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the current housing tool was born of the idea of craftable floor tiles. Basically they were working on a system that would be pretty decent memory wise to allow people to change the tiles of their floors, and whichever programmer that developed that was able to turn it into the housing tool that we have today.

The problem, per se, with allowing walls and such to be craftable is that they don't become a cohesive unit, and therefore have no circle of transparency. Additionally, while they COULD be locked down in houses and such, there's honestly not a lot of use for them, even in castles and keeps. Yeah, I could see a few uses for them, but it wouldn't really change much.

What I'd prefer to see happen to castles and keeps is that they become customizable -- at least to a limited extent -- in that their internal spaces become customizable. I think an inventive programmer COULD sit down with the existing housing system and turn it into something that would allow castles and keeps to have greater internal control to them. I think they could also make L-Shapes customizable too.

But yeah... craftable walls does, to me, go a bit beyond... though, floor tiles on the other hand... I'm all for that. Make them craftable (and a deed) in the same vein as the gozas, and then we could do some fun stuff with 'em.

The ONLY problem I see with that is the overall extreme scale of them. Like, there are four different green marble tiles. The sheer number of tiles in each pack is what gets a bit extreme. Though as a counterpoint, it could be "a green marble tile," and when you place it, a menu comes up with the four particular tile types.

I don't really see either of these happening, but floor tiles could be doable.