• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Major Crafting Update

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
copy pasted from official boards

Ok hear me out on this and bear with me. First, I'm not looking for an easy button, I've been playing almost since inception and I'm confident in saying I know all of the ins and outs, and I've walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways blah blah blah. This isn't about that. It's about how my mind works while I"m playing UO. I have multiple accounts, I have all crafting skills maxed on one account, I have 7 slots on my crafting account, so there's no way for EA to make more money from me by my need to purchase another account just for crafting, I"m sure most players are the same as me. That being said I've already thought about the chance of my idea being rejected because it would cause EA to lose subscription money, it's my belief it wouldn't, which leads me to my idea. We already have crafting machines that take the place of tools, we already have repair benches that take the place of tools for repairs, and they are GM or Legendary based on the skill level of the owner. Why can't we now after 23 years, have GM/Legendary machines ?? If I could transfer my (for example) 120 Tailoring off of my soulstone via a context line similar to the one that lets you remove a skill from a stone, and send it to my Sewing Machine, it would become a Legendary Sewing Machine !! My archer can now walk up to it and craft a suit for himself. Afterall, the skills were already available to my entire account to swap and use as I wished, but the convenience given to me now is very valuable , especially based on my limited play time. I would so pay for this service, and by that I mean I would give up the SoulStone with the crafting skill on it by means of dropping it on the machine to transfer the skill. This more or less protects EA from any revenue losses due to a drop in SS purchases. If someone wants to try and exploit it, like building skills by illegal 3rd party means and selling those skills via the machines, it's going to cost them the purchase of a SS token, as well as Vet Reward .

Sorry for being long winded and not going into heavy detail. I'll let others chime in with their likes or dislikes or thoughts. I just think it's worth considering.

I'll add this, if players object to this they still have the option of doing things the old way, they aren't forced to use this new function, so they can still RP their crafters and no one is affected. Anyone walking up and using the machines (if they're set to public) or if it's the owner account, still has to have the necessary materials in their pack, and the machine still functions as a crafter would, it will fail to make and use up whatever materials, it will only make a regular item, or it will make an exceptional one. I haven't given enough thought into Talismans to see how those would remain as a usual option, although the player could simply wear a tally, or be holding an Ancient hammer just the way the current way works.

Yes Account Bound fixes any chance of exploiting I would think...to add to it, we have the Repair Bench...new Vet Reward...Crafting Bench....a stand alone machine that has all crafting skills and is created by combining individual crafting machine deeds to it. That way vet rewards can still be sold and are only account bound once skills have been dropped on them. The Crafting Bench could only be sold if the individual machines and the Crafting bench were never tainted with player skills.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love it! Would be nice if the bench could be used by all linked accounts. But, only the originating account can add and remove skills.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't find it that difficult to use a mannequin to make a suit with my crafter than switch it on to whatever toon needs it.

I'd prefer an actual review of crafting with methods to make is useful again. As it is now its good for making weapons and training suits. The best armor comes from loot as well as jewels. Jewels are the worst example. People are after SSI jewels and you can't even imbue that property.

For armor maybe you craft one or two pieces that fill out a suit but you can't compete even with runics against decent loot. I'd like it if crafters had all properties available to them or some properties you can't get on loot that were desirable then crafted could compete with loot.

For balance loot weapon drops need to be revisited because almost all are junk.

And crafted armor and jewels needs to be reviewed (SSI on jewels, crafting of jewels period aka why don't we have a runic for tinkering, caps and limits on crafted armor and imbued armor).

I don't want to dominate as a crafter - i just want to make some things people might use alongside loot.

Reckless

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still wonder if they'd ever increase the cap of Fletching/Carpentry to 120, Maybe bring in some new crafts for the extra 20 points to give crafters something to look forward to. The benches sounds like a awesome idea.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still wonder if they'd ever increase the cap of Fletching/Carpentry to 120, Maybe bring in some new crafts for the extra 20 points to give crafters something to look forward to. The benches sounds like a awesome idea.
Even if they did go to 120 on those skills we would not be able to craft anything even close to loot and that is the problem. Everything pre AoS for crafters was good because our suits were as good as the majority of the loot so we made a living but when UO went item based the loot grew as the game grew but crafters were left behind, we did not grow in our abilities at the same rate and soon became obsolete.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are the odds they gonna take a good and simple idea from a player and leave it at that? I'd say close to zero. If they touch crafting, they will make all of it the overcomplicated mess refinements are. I came to the conclusion they do the least damage to UO when not asked to "improve" things.

IGaretjaxI

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if they did go to 120 on those skills we would not be able to craft anything even close to loot and that is the problem. Everything pre AoS for crafters was good because our suits were as good as the majority of the loot so we made a living but when UO went item based the loot grew as the game grew but crafters were left behind, we did not grow in our abilities at the same rate and soon became obsolete.

You must not be a crafter or be in todays times with crafting.... I only say that because as an imbuer / suit maker, you make hundreds of millions of sales per month just by crafting/imbuing sampire/dexxer suits and weapons and this isn't just on Atlantic (meaning it can be done on less populated shards as well)

Look up the pricing on a 70% poison 70% hit lightning reforged Bokuto....

Now back to Garth's idea, I agree with many in this thread that crafting needs an overhaul before essentially freeing up a character slot to do so, which I think is what your idea is about. If it helps, open up an Excel sheet and put your gear in a sheet if you don't want to bounce back and forth, etc.

To me, the BoD system needs a big overhaul given that it is heavily favored with Blacksmith's over any other crafter skill. Powder of fort should be offered as a reward with every crafting skill not just 1.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't find it that difficult to use a mannequin to make a suit with my crafter than switch it on to whatever toon needs it.

I'd prefer an actual review of crafting with methods to make is useful again. As it is now its good for making weapons and training suits. The best armor comes from loot as well as jewels. Jewels are the worst example. People are after SSI jewels and you can't even imbue that property.

For armor maybe you craft one or two pieces that fill out a suit but you can't compete even with runics against decent loot. I'd like it if crafters had all properties available to them or some properties you can't get on loot that were desirable then crafted could compete with loot.

For balance loot weapon drops need to be revisited because almost all are junk.

And crafted armor and jewels needs to be reviewed (SSI on jewels, crafting of jewels period aka why don't we have a runic for tinkering, caps and limits on crafted armor and imbued armor).

I don't want to dominate as a crafter - i just want to make some things people might use alongside loot.

This 100%.

I only say that because as an imbuer / suit maker, you make hundreds of millions of sales per month just by crafting/imbuing sampire/dexxer suits
I don't doubt the weapons part as @Theo_GL mentioned; that's the one area crafters have an advantage over loot. It's a little surprising about the suits if they don't include at least 1 or 2 legendary type items because resists simply are not there on GM armor (unless 1 resist takes up a property) and best case scenario for imbued armor is 500 property intensity (something like below) compared to pieces you can loot with property intensity of 1000+ (ie twice as powerful). Sure you can't have HP/Mana/Stam on looted armor these days that you can craft but you are better off combining different stat looted armor than imbuing a suit (if we are talking total stat suits).

1613996316969.png

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i would be open to this but they are working on new shard, things still broken like vender search and there still alot of other issues. it also seems like alot of work to get right and not sure the devs can do it. the devs semi destroyed crafting with the new loot being so good. there were 12, 14 and even 16 mods that were real pieces. after an unknown amount of nerfs to new loot. we are at 8 mods. they should of done 7 to 8 mods from the beginning which i posted about when it first came out. crafting does need help. we should not have to pay $ for any item that is needed, that what my monthly fee is for lol. i want the devs to work on improving and fixing game, not a new shard.
ps to bad refinements dont stack.

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think crafting is fine as it is , it has it's place ( thinking of reforging luck pieces, or 1 or 2 overcapped mods mostly for weapons/bows ).

But one way to give some love to crafting could be a special tool that you can bump by +1 mod, a Lesser Artifact+ and above, or reroll a mod (only once per item), just like in Diablo , as long as the piece is under 8 mods so 7 mods could be bumped to 8 mods , or rerolled a mod. And that special crafting tool could be a drop from an encounter ( pls not a store item ) or a non-scriptable quest ( does that exist? ) .

Anyway , just my 2 cents.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I personally do not want anymore RNG added to crafting for any type of item reroll. It should be as simple as bumping up all GM armor to a total of 600-650 available points and/or allow GM items to imbue 6 mods (maybe intro a tool that does that?? I'm just not a big fan of needing to pay $$ for in game stuff). No need to go overthink this.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i would be open to this but they are working on new shard, things still broken like vender search and there still alot of other issues. it also seems like alot of work to get right and not sure the devs can do it. the devs semi destroyed crafting with the new loot being so good. there were 12, 14 and even 16 mods that were real pieces. after an unknown amount of nerfs to new loot. we are at 8 mods. they should of done 7 to 8 mods from the beginning which i posted about when it first came out. crafting does need help. we should not have to pay $ for any item that is needed, that what my monthly fee is for lol. i want the devs to work on improving and fixing game, not a new shard.
ps to bad refinements dont stack.
The sad thing is, my idea will end up on a freeshard in a few weeks, because yeah, it takes tons of coding to change stuff LOL, these Devs are too busy with their new content that comes out every 6-12 months.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not saying I agree with the Devs but Kyronix is just confirming pretty much what they said last year (they are focused on NL). Tbh I'm even surprised the live shards are getting any attention (new loot etc).

Any major change of X is going to take too much time away from them getting NL on its feet (it's been almost a full year since they originally announced "the big announcement").

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not saying I agree with the Devs but Kyronix is just confirming pretty much what they said last year (they are focused on NL). Tbh I'm even surprised the live shards are getting any attention (new loot etc).

Any major change of X is going to take too much time away from them getting NL on its feet (it's been almost a full year since they originally announced "the big announcement").
Yeah kyronix said No to skills being used by anything but the player, so I sort of get that, but he totally dodged the idea of combining the crafting rewards into a single device, which would have been nice.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I think simply raising the skill ceiling on Carpentry and Fletching makes sense, even if nothing else is changed. Right now, I don't even both doing those BODs at higher levels because at GM skill the failure chance is so high.

I know; other crafting skills like Alchemy and Inscription also cap at 100. However, failing a high-level alchemy BOD means you lose a few regs which are cheap and easily obtained. Failing a 35-board frostwood carpentry item is more painful, so I don't even both with them any more.

I'd love to see a large crafting update, but I don't believe we will. We may, however, have better luck requesting some minor and easy-to-do tweaks like this one.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No raising the skill caps only does one thing... instead of you needing GM to craft things you'll need the full 120 and then fail more than you did when it was GM... just like Magery and casting gates or EVs... or do you all forget that stuff this fast?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No raising the skill caps only does one thing... instead of you needing GM to craft things you'll need the full 120 and then fail more than you did when it was GM... just like Magery and casting gates or EVs... or do you all forget that stuff this fast?
Oh @MalagAste... you let your pure hatred for the Devs and this game completely blind you with rage. I've had 120 magery for 10+ years now and I haven't fizzled a spell since... Not sure what you are talking about there :coco:

That said, I do agree they shouldn't simply increase the caps because tbh the rewards at the highest level aren't worth it and at that point we would just be making a change to make a change. Unless there are new BOD rewards added at a highest cost then there is no need to raise caps.

See... no need to bash anyone or be super doom and gloom. Simply put without bias is usually best ;)

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do hate to ruin this for you, but the formula did not change when powerscrolls were introduced; its just perception that increasing the cap changed the formula and suddenly we're fizzling more at GM than we used too. Kind of like food being useful.
120 magery has a 0% failure rate on 8th circle; I've had mine since pub 16.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Keven, so you think they shouldn't raise the caps because you don't think the rewards are worth it. I'm saying the "reward" for those BODs is - in part - being able to contribute them to the Artisan Festival. What possible downside is there in raising these caps by adding a 120 scroll? A dangerous and imbalancing increase in the number of frostwood exceptional cherry armoires? Yeah - that would be a catastrophe.

If you don't like the rewards, don't fill them. I would like to be able to fill those high-difficulty BODs at better than a 40% success rate; as it is now, I don't bother doing them at all.

Reactions: dvv

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't personally do many BODs (again the rewards just aren't worth it to me) so I'd much rather the Devs spend the time on things that will actually move the needle like either a major crafting update (allow GM armor to have more properties/weight)/fix VS/update VvV/add more usable items. I learned a long time ago not to assume how "easy" or "quick" Dev work would be so unless you have coding knowledge specific to UO let's not assume "it's a quick and easy change"; especially when it comes to changing code of how a skill is working.

Good call out about the Artisan fest but you are asking Devs to devote time to make a change that impacts a small niche of players like you that is literally only 45days (ish) out of 365 as opposed to 365 day game impact. Not to get up on a soap box here but this is the exact type of request that are made that people get up in arms about when people question them (as @Elessar seems to be) when their requests are questions on "the greater good".

That said, I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh @MalagAste... you let your pure hatred for the Devs and this game completely blind you with rage. I've had 120 magery for 10+ years now and I haven't fizzled a spell since... Not sure what you are talking about there :coco:

That said, I do agree they shouldn't simply increase the caps because tbh the rewards at the highest level aren't worth it and at that point we would just be making a change to make a change. Unless there are new BOD rewards added at a highest cost then there is no need to raise caps.

See... no need to bash anyone or be super doom and gloom. Simply put without bias is usually best ;)
She is right on one aspect that I fail just as much at 120 Smith as I did at 100 Smith. They raised the Smith skill to 120 and then made all the new stuff that much harder to make.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know I'm right.... you all are delusional... but you keep your rosey colored glasses on... because yeah... I'm sorry for me keeping it real... telling truth to BS... because I don't tolerate being served steaming piles of dung in place of actual content.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I'm right.... you all are delusional... but you keep your rosey colored glasses on... because yeah... I'm sorry for me keeping it real... telling truth to BS... because I don't tolerate being served steaming piles of dung in place of actual content.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Some people are simply unable to deal with nostalgia so instead become bitter.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to be able to craft equipment where I can customise it, to put on decent properties that go together, what is the problem with that?

I hate random, where nothing ever fits.

6 Mods would do me. Allow all the missing properties from crafting.

I'd also like it to be fully repairable/pofable.

Another way of putting the same thing - customisable like Imbuing, but with all the missing properties like SSI (on jewel), on the menu. 6 Properties. But fully repairable/pofable like Greater Reforged. The best bit of all the systems, without the Negatives. With a slight improvement built in, to compete with Lootable.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to be able to craft equipment where I can customise it, to put on decent properties that go together, what is the problem with that?

Another way of putting the same thing - customisable like Imbuing, but with all the missing properties like SSI (on jewel), on the menu. 6 Properties. But fully repairable/pofable like Greater Reforged. The best bit of all the systems, without the Negatives. With a slight improvement built in, to compete with Lootable.
It's called an 'easy button'

There is no place in a MMORPG for anything difficult or negative.
Just log in, put your character into unicorn/rainbow mode, and get exactly everything you want :banana:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's called an 'easy button'

There is no place in a MMORPG for anything difficult or negative.
Just log in, put your character into unicorn/rainbow mode, and get exactly everything you want :banana:
Do you believe that?

So you are ok trying to combine 12 items with 8 random properties that can never actually give you what you want, and them wearing out and ruining your suit?
Then having say 7-14 other characters to gear, and basically never getting any of them completed?

I have played this game forever, and I don't have any completed characters, I'd actually just like to play the game believe it or not.
It's hard enough getting Slithers, or Cameos that never drop for me, then add in all the other impossible to get items, and I can do without random generated loot that is not what I need, where nothing ever matches.

Why can't crafting actually be useful, and give a player what he wants? I'm prepared to work insanely hard to get the ingredients?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do you believe that?
Ehhh... Maybe it's just different experiences or playstyles but I've had no problem making legit suits for multiple chars on multiple accounts (especially the past few years) so I'd tend to agree with @Goldberg-Chessy on the easy button thing. I did kind of chuckle when I read your original post...especially when you said fully repairable and POF (aka it lasts forever). Especially given that I've had the same Brittle suit on my SDI mage for since I can remember (my original Kelp legs have a max durb of 249 from probably 8 years of use). Only thing you left out was the bless deed lol.

On the surface you are "just asking for simple crafting upgrades" to "make crafting relevant" but as soon as you say you want things to last forever you pretty much make crafting relevant for you for a few of your suits and then you pack away your crafter forever as you get unlimited use from your armor. After all why would you need to make another suit for a character if you have already crafted all that you need and they last forever?

So you are ok trying to combine 12 items with 8 random properties that can never actually give you what you want, and them wearing out and ruining your suit?
Then having say 7-14 other characters to gear, and basically never getting any of them completed?
I can probably help you if you want to DM me on how to figure out what the properties are (or click here) ; they aren't really random anymore unless you get a nameless artifact (legendary don't spawn anymore). Example - a sampire is mainly looking for Arcane (or Mystic) XXX of Haste which gives X stam X dex X int X mana X LMC with possible regen and resists. I can literally ballpark a piece of armor by looking at the name and the arty level these days because it is that predictable. Another one you want is Arcane XXX of Vitality which gives strength/hp/int/mana/etc. I've yet to see something like Animated XXX of Vitality as a legendary so pretty sure they aren't random (anymore).

So in reality you are really only ever looking for those 2 types if you are building a warrior and you piece them together based on the stats you want to achieve (add more Vitality if you need more str/hp or add more of haste if you need more stam). It's really quite simple if you are doing the high end content the game has to offer. You can throw together a formidable sampire suit pretty easily...now admittedly if you want perfection that will take time (ie 10stam/5 dex / 10 mana/ etc) but judging from your post that isn't your gripe. Mage suits... well those are cake to make these days. Every single mage I have has like an extra 85 mana from their suit and that's without even trying.

I'm prepared to work insanely hard to get the ingredients?
This tells me you are willing to grind ...so why are you looking to grind on gathering resources rather than taking a slapped together suit (I literally give away legendary mage suits in haven with max resits and tons of mana) and grinding the roof or scalis etc and grabbing that loot? Pro-Tip: you end up getting a single tile soul forge or cameo, you can easily sell it and BUY these pieces. This is how you finish your character builds.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Keven2002 - I already have the Item Bless Deeds lol :D
But there is nothing worth me putting them on.

I don't like slapped together suits, I want a suit that actually does what I want :)
(A Legendary Mage suit won't do it for me, I Unravel these every day).

I am happy to put together a model, and show you in messages. I'm happy to work for stuff, but not if it has no point or meaning to me. Which none of this does. And re Crafters, there is just so much needing to be crafted all the time, this concept of Crafters running out of stuff to make, is not really real, it's the imaginary fear all Crafters have.

Sorry just to add - There is nothing for me to work for currently ingame, there is nothing for me to even grind for, I hate the Lootable equipment content that much - there is nothing to put on my characters which will give me what I want.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Keven2002 - I already have the Item Bless Deeds lol :D
But there is nothing worth me putting them on.

I don't like slapped together suits, I want a suit that actually does what I want :)
(A Legendary Mage suit won't do it for me, I Unravel these every day).

I am happy to put together a model, and show you in messages. I'm happy to work for stuff, but not if it has no point or meaning to me. Which none of this does. And re Crafters, there is just so much needing to be crafted all the time, this concept of Crafters running out of stuff to make, is not really real, it's the imaginary fear all Crafters have.

Sorry just to add - There is nothing for me to work for currently ingame, there is nothing for me to even grind for, I hate the Lootable equipment content that much - there is nothing to put on my characters which will give me what I want.
Again, you are perfectly describing a person(yourself)that wants everything in the game specifically tailored to their personal wants and needs.
It’s even more ridiculous than a simple ‘easy button’
It is not an accident that your last five words exactly sum up your mentality: “give me what I want”
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have read over the initial poster on UO.com and pondered this for a while. I do like the idea a lot of sharing the master accounts abilities for items etc, opens up new avenues. I also agree that after returning, the loot system is against crafters. There is nothing a crafter can make that you cant farm better in a hour with a crap suit with zero luck on it. I agree with BODs are not a joke as well, have been, they used to be fun but so many floods have ruined a lot of waters, i was very intrigued that BOD was adopted to other craft skills and i feel that it should have happened years ago. I think take the best of both the banking and turn in and combine, revamp rewards and make some super high end rewards that give abilities to craft the 6 ability weapons/armors. I do like one of the posters suggestions about a diablo style of combining armors together and coming up with something new, that is a whole level of RNG that could be hated upon, but would love to give it a try..

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read over the initial poster on UO.com and pondered this for a while. I do like the idea a lot of sharing the master accounts abilities for items etc, opens up new avenues. I also agree that after returning, the loot system is against crafters. There is nothing a crafter can make that you cant farm better in a hour with a crap suit with zero luck on it. I agree with BODs are not a joke as well, have been, they used to be fun but so many floods have ruined a lot of waters, i was very intrigued that BOD was adopted to other craft skills and i feel that it should have happened years ago. I think take the best of both the banking and turn in and combine, revamp rewards and make some super high end rewards that give abilities to craft the 6 ability weapons/armors. I do like one of the posters suggestions about a diablo style of combining armors together and coming up with something new, that is a whole level of RNG that could be hated upon, but would love to give it a try..
Nope.
In a very short time I can craft, imbue, and enhance the 190 luck armor pieces that go into an extremely high-end and valuable luck suit. A couple of them may not even need to be imbued so will last forever.
You could not loot those same pieces if you hunted regularly for months. Go to any high level pvm spot and look at players luck suits. They are almost all crafted, not looted.
How about Sampire weapons?
You will never loot the ones you need. They have to be crafted and the crafters make a lot of gold selling them

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, you are perfectly describing a person(yourself)that wants everything in the game specifically tailored to their personal wants and needs.
It’s even more ridiculous than a simple ‘easy button’
It is not an accident that your last five words exactly sum up your mentality: “give me what I want”
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
OK, look at it like this.

They give you a property, lets say DCI, max cap 45%. Is it not unreasonable to want to reach that maximum cap?
Surely the entire point of armour, is to help achieve your character to reach the specific caps you want to achieve to play your character how you want?

Are you ok with constantly random armour, that never helps you reach the property caps you feel you should be able to reach?

It's not necessarily what I want, although I phrase it like that, but there is this insane property system generating 8 random properties per item, and yet, it is impossible to get anything close to what you would want to make your character work, or to balance the entire suit.

Targets need be reasonably achievable, to maintain any sort of morale.

I do agree that where my thinking differs from so many of you, is you are all prepared to accept such negatives in your gameplay - and I am not.
I am a perfectionist in real life.
Why have the negatives in the first place, I'm sorry, I really am going to ask, what is the point?
Tell me for example - How is a Cursed Item, or an Antique item making your gameplay anymore satisfactory?
You are wasting so much time having to skip through them when you loot, why are they even in the loot?

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And re Crafters, there is just so much needing to be crafted all the time, this concept of Crafters running out of stuff to make, is not really real
Perhaps in today's world this might be true but if your suggestion is implemented what else do you need to craft once you have your perfect gear built? Remember it's all repairable and POF so it never breaks. You don't ever need to replace anything so there is no need for the crafter after that.

I am a perfectionist in real life.
Why have the negatives in the first place, I'm sorry, I really am going to ask, what is the point?
Tell me for example - How is a Cursed Item, or an Antique item making your gameplay anymore satisfactory?
You are wasting so much time having to skip through them when you loot, why are they even in the loot?
I think many of us in UO have this quality of perfection.

That said, I think you are answering your own question. The point of the negatives is so that you don't walk around in God-mode after killing 5 balrons. While cursed items are probably the least viable; there is Tram and I would 1000% use some kinda super elite cursed weapon on my sampire bc he has a very good survival rate and rarely dies. That said, I've sold antique jewels for 100's of millions given their loaded intensity so they are very much worth looting.

All of these things are why it's UO and why it's been running 23+ years... there is no "winning" or "beating" UO. People can come close and in my experience that's when they get bored and quit (at least in my case). That's basically what you are asking for by allowing people to craft a 'perfection" suit with max everything (btw you CAN put together a suit of looted items with just about max everything you need). Once you had this perfect suit with everything maxed out what would you do; go kill monsters? Why? You wouldn't need the items so what would be the end goal?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps in today's world this might be true but if your suggestion is implemented what else do you need to craft once you have your perfect gear built? Remember it's all repairable and POF so it never breaks. You don't ever need to replace anything so there is no need for the crafter after that.

I think many of us in UO have this quality of perfection.

That said, I think you are answering your own question. The point of the negatives is so that you don't walk around in God-mode after killing 5 balrons. While cursed items are probably the least viable; there is Tram and I would 1000% use some kinda super elite cursed weapon on my sampire bc he has a very good survival rate and rarely dies. That said, I've sold antique jewels for 100's of millions given their loaded intensity so they are very much worth looting.

All of these things are why it's UO and why it's been running 23+ years... there is no "winning" or "beating" UO. People can come close and in my experience that's when they get bored and quit (at least in my case). That's basically what you are asking for by allowing people to craft a 'perfection" suit with max everything (btw you CAN put together a suit of looted items with just about max everything you need). Once you had this perfect suit with everything maxed out what would you do; go kill monsters? Why? You wouldn't need the items so what would be the end goal?
New players, new characters, new content, new events are coming out all the time Kevin, I already cannot keep up in anyway whatsoever.

I was never suggesting any of this to happen overnight.

I'm a pvper, once I have a perfect suit, I can actually start to play the game. You know I cannot really play the game properly to my level of expectation, until I actually have a character ready? PvP is competitive, I am competing against scripters, against RMTers who spend £1000's on their suits. I would like to be able to play the game honestly, and compete off my own merits. I do need the game to give me a chance.

I don't even blame the scripters, and the RMTers, they are doing what they feel forced to do, to be able to start to PvP. But I want to be able to achieve that, without going either of those routes. I am almost being forced into RMT here.

Last edited:

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't we now after 23 years, have GM/Legendary machines ?? If I could transfer my (for example) 120 Tailoring off of my soulstone via a context line similar to the one that lets you remove a skill from a stone, and send it to my Sewing Machine, it would become a Legendary Sewing Machine !!
I do not think that an item should replace 120 skill, regardless of whether or not a character on the account has achieved the skill.
(The exception being mage weapons which are necessary - and also have a designed counterattack.)

This would negate the need for anyone to ever play as a crafter all together, which feels less than sandbox-y.

Agreed. I think the developers have started to recognize the desire for this with the store item that lets a crafter pick the resists.
I hope they take it one step further and let gear be re-forged with mods that the crafter picks.
It could be a higher cost on runic tools (such as 100 charges for 1 item).

Part of the viability for re-forged/imbued weapons is that they have more imbuing weight available (bows 550, 2-handed 600).
Another option the developers could implement to balance crafting with loot would be to overhaul imbuing by increasing caps of crafted items to 6-mods/700 weight,
and adding properties that are almost a requisite for an item to be considered good (such as ssi).

Personally, I wish they would take it one step further and re-insert the ability to imbue artifacts that are under those caps instead of making us wait for a few recipes a year.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I've said this many times... I would rather they did stuff like allow crafters to "Alter" items... no more of this buy crap in the store BS... If my crafter can alter something from human to gargoyle then by gods he ought to be able to reverse that! And furthermore if he wanted to take a robe and cut it up into Epaulettes then he certainly should be able to do that... and if he wanted to take a pair of epaulettes and make craft them into a robe then well he should be able to do that...

You should be able to alter any item into any other item of the same layer... you can't take a hat and make it a robe but you should be able to make that hat any other hat.. now the only stipulation of that would be that if it was plate... it would still have all the properties of plate ... regardless of what it "looks" like... so it would still be non-medable if it was non-medable to begin with ... though along that same line you could still take it to the magicians or whatever and have that property added if you wanted or removed... but it doesn't matter what it "was" as long as it keeps all the properties...

And finally... I would like to see recipes added to the city loyalty... Even if they are just "deco" items... I'd like to see special items that you can only get recipes for if you are loyal to a certain town... Special Minocian Sofa, or a Yew inspired Chair... or Bench or whatever... As well as outfits... That would be neat... Maybe even some special colored cloth you can get as well.

I'd also like to see abilities to remove curse but that would take special drop items that are rare and hard to come by... and not on any specific mob... but maybe one item in treasure chests, one item from fishing, one from hunting in certain facets... Illsh, Tokuno, Ter Mur... etc... and maybe something that has to be stolen... from mobs... or something.

I'd like to see better crafting too... and again on the same lines of it's rare ... the ingredients for higher tier crafting would be rare. But they would allow you to imbue that 6th property... or add 100 points to the imbuing weight of an item. Something along that lines and again it would randomly come from fishing, hunting, treasure maps and things but be rare... Or you could get pieces of the item rather like the obsidian statue that you need to combine so many to get the thing which would allow you to go that extra level 1 time per item. One use only... again it would need to be rare... and not something super scriptable like it wouldn't drop from farming any one mob... Though I could see it being added to something like Charybdis or Exodus... or something of that nature but again very rare...

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
So starting with the OP, it would be really cool to be able to craft things and not have to constantly character switch, but I doubt the dev's will ever do this. But I would love to see some changes to the current crafting system. I used to be a crafter almost exclusively.

I agree with people on here it would be nice to be able to craft that perfect suit with all of the stats you want. And no one is asking for an easy button. Make it hard but instead of RNG reforging stupidity, add some other type of mechanism to get there. For example if your a smith trying to craft that perfect sampire suit. You'll need to reforge a lot of pieces to get the base piece you want with overcapped properties to remotely compete with lootable legendary pieces. Now which runic tool should you use? Dull, shadow, copper, bronze? each one will have different possibilities. Do you try for higher intensity with more properties reforged onto it or do you go for less properties hoping you get one at the overcapped intensity? You could spend 100's of charges and still not get that piece you need the way you need it.

We already have imbuing which requires special ingredients that are hard to get but still obtainable. Why not have some special reforging with some special even more difficult to find items that allow one to pick a specific intensity and item property. Still use a bunch of charges off of runics, say require 50 charges plus 1 of this super special super rare ingredient to set an item property you want. Have it be a loot item only obtainable in fel so thieves and PK's have more opportunity to have fun. It could be a rare drop from champ spawns, fel Trove Tmaps, an artifact from virtue dungeon drops or some other new quest that forces you to be vulnerable in fel. Kind of like how pet training made people go to fel again because there is demand for powerscrolls to make that awesome pet. Make demand for something else that is worth the risk so it draws people there.

I've still spent the time obtaining runic tools, I've still spent even more time in fel or whatever trying to get this rare ingredient. I've made PK's and maybe thieves happy. Crafters have a use other than imbuing awesome weapons. There isn't an easy button here just a method other than RNG wasting my time and my patience. These items are still not POFable and will need to be replaced meaning more demand for this rare ingredient.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So starting with the OP, it would be really cool to be able to craft things and not have to constantly character switch, but I doubt the dev's will ever do this. But I would love to see some changes to the current crafting system. I used to be a crafter almost exclusively.
I am for combining the rewards but no to the skills and why stop at crafting why not just make a special Robe/Cape/Tally or whatever and allow us to put all our skills from all our chars so we need only to log in one char to do anything in UO or just give every char unlimited skill points. Sorry but no thank you.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Guess none of you understand that, to this Dev team, random is "hard". They don't have any other way of doing that in a way that would be universal in application, so they take the easiest path.