• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Magery level (GM or higher)

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A little background info to help you answer.

I am a role player so having a tight template isn't as important as it is to others. The template in question is a basic thief template with the addition of magery, poison and alchemy. While I am able to play a little PvP as a thief, the primary use of magery will be for transport, healing/curing and an occasional poisoning. I don't have eval or med/focus or any other magic. I do plan to make a little gold by killing monsters (when not out stealing).

So here is my question. What benefits will I see if I raise magery above GM level? Is it worth the amount of gold (for a 120 scroll) needed to raise it?

Will 120 magery coupled with 100 poisoning help?
Will 120 magery coupled with 100 alchemy help?

Thank you in advance for helping me out. The last time I played UO, the game was so different. I am trying to figure out the changes I keep finding.

-Val'lyn

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having 120 magery will mean you will fizzle spells less.

120 magery scrolls can be pretty expensive so maybe start with a 115 then once you have worked up the skill look to invest in a 120 scroll.

120 magery + 120 eval will help more than with the skills you list about. Eval works alongside Magery and gives a boost to the spells damage.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well magery like all other associated forms of magic work in cycles as far as success probability for casting a spell. That said, I already addressed magery and poisoning within another posting.

1. Poisoning level works like this. (Magery + Poisoning Skill ) /2 The result will equal regarding this table:
A. <65.1 = level 1
B. 65.1 to 85 = level 2
C. 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3
D. 100.0 = level 4.

Consequently, there is no real reason to have 120 magery and 100 poison. You could have 100 magery and 100 poison and get the same effect, if that is what you are after. Higher magery just means failing 8th circle spells less and albeit, having other monsters resist your spells less, or even players for that matter.

I can't speak as far as the whole alchemy thing within the template, never was a huge draw for me. All in ones playstyle though I suppose.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you're using a Mage Weapon for melee defense or playing in Fel then I'd go 120. At 120 you will have 100% success at 8th circle spells and below. By comparison I believe 109.5 Magery gives 100% success at 7th circle and below and on a budget and not needing to be tight is probably the better option for you. (Though saying that you're a Thief and could steal one)

It has no bearing on Alchemy, and a combined 200 Magery/Poisoning is all that is needed. Depending on where you're playing Poison Field will be a better option that just casting Poison in pretty much all cases.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick followup
A. <65.1 = level 1
B. 65.1 to 85 = level 2
C. 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3
D. 100.0 = level 4.

These are subject to distance. And at GM poisoning/Magery at 1 tile you can also do Lethal poison (10 % ChancE Lev 5 poison)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good points made. Yes 120 magery to match another players weapon skill (albeit if they are 120) and then lethal poison of course. Any new thoughts now Val'lyn?

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alchemy doesn't help magery but it's often considered a mage style skill (due to the regs i imagine).
What it will do is provide non-mana offense and decent heal/cure on the run. You get 10% Enhance Potion (EP) per 33 points in alch. So at gm you get 30% potion bonus that can stack on top of the 50 EP cap for total of 80EP. I suggest going for the alch/mage route because fields still work without eval, as well as summons. You could field up an area, drop a few evs or summon a deamon and start chucking purple pots at the monsters. It's not great damage but it does ok and cost no mana. I used to take a blue beetle full of explodes down to despise and kill the champ with them. That was before the potion weight changes but still..

The poison route will reveal you everytime you do damage (poison fields reveal YOU the caster) and if you run into a poison immune monster you will have nothing but a mindblast.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I used to have poisoning on my Mystic Mage and found it to be much more useful for defensive purposes (resistance to most poisoning) then for offensive purposes. Don't forget that distance between yourself and the target also matters, and your poison will be weaker when casting at greater distances.

From an overall usability standpoint, I personally find poisoning to be more useful on a fencer using infectious strike or archer using serpent arrow than on a mage. Just personal preference though.