• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage/Nox/Scribe

royalbarnes

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just a quick question on this template? How do you think a 120 mage/eval/me, 100 scribe/alchy, and 80 poisoning mage would do and what should i put the extra 60 prolly 80 (720 account) go into? strictly a pvm mage.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No offense, but that sounds like a horrible PvM template. Make a decent PvP mage though.

IMO Inscription, Alchemy and Poison are a waste of skill points on a PvM mage. Much better to go with Mysticism and/or Spellweaving.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with above. I had Inscription GM on my mage for the 10% SDI, it barely noticed any difference. I would defiantly go for Mystic + Focus over scribe and posion for PvM mage.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In some situations Alchemy can be quite nice on a PVM char, particularly when fighting Peerless like Medusa or Melisande who have low fire resistance as you can machinegun greater explosion pots at them for extra damage. There are definitely better uses for the skillpoints though, which applies to Inscription and Poisoning also as was said above.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a Nox Mage that's built more for PvP. He has 120 Magery/120 Eval/GM Med/GM Wrest (120 with Jewelry)/GM Resist (120 with Jewelry+Scrapper's)/GM Inscrip/80 Poisoning. Warrior's have a pancake of a time with him because of my capped DCI and 120 Wrest (As well as they can't Disarm me, but i can Disarm them), and Mages have a pain in the ass with me because my Magic Reflection has a 100% Reflection Pool, enough to even reflect a Flamestrike. His Magery spells hit pretty hard, considering the 120 Eval, GM Inscrip granting an extra 10%, and i'm classified as "Focused Mage", so i get a SDI cap in PvP of 25%. The Poisoning is really the icing on the cake. Hate them Stone Form+Protection Mystics that do nothing but spam Cleansing Winds though.

Poisoning is piss poor for PvM. Pretty good for PvP though (Especially now that Greater Cure Pots don't automatically nullify it). For PvM, there are better offensive and defensive skills than Inscrip.

royalbarnes

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why mystic+focus though? only really see a few spells that i think are useful. RC (i'm an elf for rp), hailstorm, healing stone, cleansing, and bombard. and even necro+ss i'm not sure of either hate just standing wither and by the time i get the curses off i can kill most things with slayers. haven't really done any peerless though or champs.

The Predator

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Warrior's have a pancake of a time with him because of my capped DCI and 120 Wrest (As well as they can't Disarm me, but i can Disarm them)
My question: I run almost an identical template, minus the Wrestling for Anatomy. If I were to add Wrestling instead, do you have a pretty good chance to disarm people without HCI? My though is that's why I would go for the defensive route, since me trying to hit someone with 120 weapon skill + 45% HCI / 45% DCI would be tough.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just a quick question on this template? How do you think a 120 mage/eval/me, 100 scribe/alchy, and 80 poisoning mage would do and what should i put the extra 60 prolly 80 (720 account) go into? strictly a pvm mage.
PvM has no cap on SDI from items. (PvP is capped at 30 for having only one casting school ie being focused, and 15 if you have more than one.) So scribe is really only worth it in PvP. Poisoning also sucks against Mobs in general.

DankNuggets

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I had agreed with poisoning being bad in PVM until last night, I saw a guy in covetous destroying things with nox fields and EVs. I was impressed and have since decided to make a pvm poison necro mage. The bad part is how much aggro you get, like old nox pvp mages who have billions of counts because they flag everything that runs around. I think necro can handle that tho, they are the masters of holding area and nox fields only make that stronger. Work SW in somehow and you won't ever die. Lol.

Alch is amazing in PVM you just need blue bugs and pack animals to have enough to make it worthwhile. Melisande wines also do much more damage (potentially.. they seem to have a very large damage "roll". I've hit for 20s and 80s I am not sure what to think about them anymore.) The worst part of being an alchemist is that you can't carry many pots anymore due to the weight. It would be nice to see that changed if you are in fact an alchemist. But if you can get a corpse skin the explode pots will add a ton of "free" damage very quickly.

Scribe in PVM is wasted, UNLESS you want to max your casting focus. Casting focus can be extremely beneficial and GM scribe gives you 5% (I think). If you stack Casting Focus items with scribe it maybe worthwhile. That is assuming you never play in protection and want to be able to cast when being casted on and/or hit by monsters. I personally do not 'love' CF, but I run the battle mage tunic, kelp leggings and crown of arcane tempermant for my pvm mage. I was after the SDI items and they are "extra" mods that come with it and I've learned to love that random spell that goes threw. It's great when it's a g heal that you really need.

As for wrestling in pvp I never have HCI on my wrestle mages. You won't hit a guy with parry very well. You won't hit most people very well. But the Stun Punch seems to work better then the disarm. I can't disarm anyone but I can stun punch the hell out of people. It often works out better if your a mage because it gives you time to cast and the dexxer thinks "i still have a weapon im good" As soon as you disarm the guy goes running... which sometimes is a good thing! On a tight temp I personally prefer the anatomy route, but even 40 med mages work, just have to know how to spend your mana, and have a large pool.

I love to see anyone NOT PLAYING MYSTICISM. I think mysticism is too strong and it gets boring very quickly. The RC is ridiculously overpowered, Cleansing Winds is healing for dummies, and Hailstorm does more damage then it should. It's a good mage set, don't get me wrong. It just takes about an hour to master vs a necro mage who takes much longer. I happen to enjoy the more complex magic sets. Example is a pure mage knows how to use all 64 spells in that book. A mystic mages never really learns the mage end very well because of how strong mysticism is. Necromancy is a support type casting set, same with spellweaving. So even with these skills and magery you learn you mage end better because necro/sw do not do enough damage or have enough variety in spells to be able to overshadow magery. They only enhance it. Mysticism can be run by it self and be almost as strong as magery by itself.

I suppose it boils down to how you want to play, mysticism is strong and that is potentially fun to people. I find it a bit too strong and so I go for a different style for a little more challenge and diversity. I also enjoy being very active, I do not like to cast a summon and invis, I enjoy casting lots of little spells and moving around non stop.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this on another forum...Does it look OK for PVM??? This is my first go around with anything "nox" so I'm not sure what kind of char to make. *confused* Thanks for any help!
120 Mage (+20 mage on crystalline, -20 on mage wep) = 120
120 Resist
120 Eval Int
100 Focus (+20 focus on crystalline) = 120
120 Mystic
80 Poison
60 Necro

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the sdi from items cap now 15 whiteout inscription ore 30% in PVP ??

Last edited:

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found this... (SDI) is an item property that, surprisingly, increases the damage of most magical attacks that are cast. While this property is capped at 15% for PvP, the cap further increases from 15% to 30% for templates having no more than 30 modified skill points in another main skill like Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry and Spellweaving. For PvE there is no cap on spell damage, so pack it on.
There is no formula needed for Spell Damage Increase because it is a true conversion, a 10% increase means your spell damage is increased 10% and so on. The intensity range of the Spell Damage Increase item property is 1% to 12% for found rings and bracelets. The apparent maximum is 30% for special items (e.g., War of Shadows Invasion Spellbooks).

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run a slightly similar template on my PvM Caster.... running 120 mage/ eval / focus / mystic / SW 90poison / 30 med.

I sometimes run inscription instead of poison, the 10% added to the 40% on my suit makes a differece when using slayer books! not a massive onefor sure but it does help.

As for the PvM side of things I use poioning for spawns mainly... I dump poison fields all over the palce and then drop RC's to mop up the sick mobs. works well too but to be honest if I really want to kick ass i run 120 magery / eval / focus / mys / SW 60 necro 60 SW (wear +15 Necro SS Ring and brace) and a bloodwood spirit. This guy is cool... I can either run vamp form and a mage wep (swords of prosp or staff of the magi) for some extra healing (curse wep works well here too) or I run in wraith form... the I have very high mana regain and with wraith form I leech TONS of mana, the extra summons from animate dead can be handy and I do even more damage as I can lower fire resist with corpse skin ect.... I also get an extra way of healing, so I got heal/greater/cleansing winds/Healing stone and spirit speak! and then potions for good measure (i have a macro to un/re equip the staff) add to that being able to pump out wither and nether cyclone to shred low level spawn and you have a formidable PvM Caster!

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magery will always be the most important casting pvp skill in the game purely because of 1 spell.

10 points for anyone who can name that spell.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong, can kill people without cursing them rather easily and other skills have resistance dropping spells.

Poison. Lowly level circle spell, no other spell like it. Fast to cast and is key to casting vs casting combat!

I seriously doubt anyone could kill someone on just a pure mystic with no Magery. Not anyone who knows what their doing anyway!