• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage Forum FAQ Thread (everyone chip in!)

D

drgn

.... omg.
well done chandalir /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
whole thing is pretty solid
i was the one that posted the hit/chance calculator but im not entirely certain who made it.

few nots (ammendments)

In regard to poison+weapons, with deadly poison its first tick is imediate and thus a 'dmg increase' of sorts, while adding the old 'cure before heal delima' to your opponent

Chivalry's dispel evil is great in a spawn crashing situation which is based on the level on chivalry aswell i believe (just might be another perk you could throw in)

Staff of the Magi. Also not that the special moves cant be used... someone might comment

honorable mention to legacy aswell maybe? it has its uses, i use it on my semi-tank for a whopping 50%SDI (too poor for a fc1/3 10% ring :p - was lucky with my brace), although not great but still should get a mention.

thats all i can think of with whats already there. ill have a look at the needed to be done while at work (only reason im not doing it now /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif) .... i mean what am i going to do ? work!?

I

imported_Kalibek

I know, it's amazing isn't it? I read about 90% of it before I left but didn't time to comment.

You know I tried writing a little FAQ a few weeks ago but I lost connection and lost about an hours worth of work, lol. Maybe next time I'll write it on notepad or word first.

Chand, I'm very impressed /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I'll think about what I can add. The only thing that comes to mind are templates. What would work on production shards and what would work on SP. Pro's/Con's the whole sha-bang. Maybe I'll start that tomorrow when I'm not hopped up on pain killers (I had dental work done...four injections in my mouth) /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

C

Chandalir

Well, its around that time again, so lets all chip in and help out Grommit with a FAQ -- hey, look at the bright side, instead of seeing me and others throwing a hissy fit whenever someone asks a question, you'll just see "Its in the FAQ" instead /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

So far, this is what I've come up with needing in the FAQ:

<ul>[*]Raising Skills.<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>8x8 Guide.</font color=00008B><ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Magery.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Evaluate Intelligence.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Meditation &amp; Focus.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Chivalry, Necromancy &amp; Spiritspeak.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Hiding.</font color=551A8B>[/list][*]<font color=00008B>Other Skills.</font color=00008B><ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Resist.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Inscription.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Alchemy.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Poisoning.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Melee Skills On A Mage &amp; Anatomy On A Mage.</font color=551A8B>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Parrying On A Mage.</font color=551A8B>[/list][*]<font color=00008B>Guaranteed Gain System.</font color=00008B>[/list]
[*]Skill Discussion.<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Magery.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Evaluate Intelligence.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Meditation &amp; Focus.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Magic Resistance (and why we laugh at those who dropped it with Age of Shadows /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif).</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Melee skill vs Wrestling vs Anatomy vs Parrying.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Alchemy, Inscription &amp; Poisoning.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Necromancy &amp; Spiritspeak.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Chivalry.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Stats (not per say a skill, but deserves discussion).</font color=00008B>[/list]
[*]Spell Discussion.<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>What Spells Do What Type Of Damage, And What's To Note?</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Summons And What Type of Damage They Do, And Their AI.</font color=00008B>[/list]
[*]Miscellaneous Discussions.<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>PvP vs PvM : The Dodging vs No-Dodging Discussion.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Templates -- common templates for mages to give you ideas.</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>UOAssist -- a 3rd party utility.</font color=00008B>[/list]
[*]The Item Discussion.<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Artifacts (We All Want Them; Here's What To Look For).</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Armor (Non-Medable vs Medable, And How To Tell The Difference).</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Jewelry (And Faster Casting Discussion).</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Weapons (Including Mage Weaponry When To Use And Not).</font color=00008B>[*]<font color=00008B>Shields.</font color=00008B>[/list][/list]

<center><font color=blue>Super Frequently Repetitive Asked Annoying Question (Questions We Just See Too Often For Quick Reference!)</font color=blue></center>

<font color=8B0000>Frequently Asked Questions:</font color=8B0000>

1) What is the anatomy/eval formula?

2) Does anatomy and eval int equal wrestling?

3) Does the anatomy/eval formula stack with wrestling?

4) Which is better: Parry or Wrestling?

5) Which is better Med or Focus?

6) Does Meditation and Focus stack?

7) Is mana regeneration capped?

8) Is the spell damage bonus from inscription only at GM?

9) Is the "Magic Resist" skill really as useless as I think?

<font color=8B0000>1) What is the anatomy/eval formula? </font color=8B0000>

(Anatomy + Evaluate Intelligence + 20)/2 (capped at 120.0).

<font color=8B0000>2) Does anatomy and eval int equal wrestling? </font color=8B0000>

Yes and No. Yes in the sense that it will give you defensive evasion. No in the sense that you have no offensive capabilities and you do not have the ability to use the wrestling special moves.

<font color=8B0000>3) Does the anatomy/eval formula stack with wrestling?</font color=8B0000>

No, absolutely not. Just imagine a character with 240 defensive wrestle?

<font color=8B0000>4) Which is better: Parry or Wrestling? </font color=8B0000>

Two entirely separate skills. Wrestling at equal levels, GM vs GM, will give you 50% evasion, while gm parry will give you 30% chance of blocking a strike (ed note: this is answered more indepth below).

<font color=8B0000>5) Which is better Med or Focus? </font color=8B0000>

Meditation has faster mana regeneration than focus does. 120 Focus will give +0.6 mana regen (on top of the 0.2 mana/second everyone has as base) in any type of armor while 120 medi with 120 intelligence is +1.3 passive mana regen. However all your armor must be med-able. If there is one piece of non-med armor, then your meditation will be negated (ed note: again, clarified more below, but for super quick super reference for the super lazy).

<font color=8B0000>6) Does Meditation and Focus stack? </font color=8B0000>

Yes they do. With 120 medi/int and 120 focus, you will have 2.1 passive mana regen.

<font color=8B0000>7) Is mana regeneration capped?</font color=8B0000>

No, mana regeneration hasn't been capped since publish 18.

<font color=8B0000>8) Is the spell damage bonus from inscription only at GM? </font color=8B0000>

Yes.

<font color=8B0000>9) Is the "Magic Resist" skill really as useless as I think?</font color=8B0000>

No (Read here for more clarifications.).

EDITS &amp; CREDITS:

* Legacy of the Dreadlord added as an honorable mention (thanks to drgn; no idea why I forgot this in the first place, heck, I want it for my tank! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif
* Level 5 poison deals damage on first hit (thanks to drgn).
* Dispel evil's usefulness in heavy spawn (thanks to drgn).
* Inability to use special moves on a mage weapon without melee skills (thanks to drgn).
* Armor section by drgn /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
* Jewelry section by drgn
* Faster casting/faster cast recovery by krrios
* Added weaponry section
* Added shield section, and parry gaining tip (thanks to drgn)
* Added wands (drgn again /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif)
* Added spells discussion (comments?)
* Added templates (thanks to drgn)
* Added UOAssist mage stuff (thanks to drgn)
* Added GGS.
* Added the suprah lazy FAQ -- anyone wanna add something real quick that's just asked TOO much? (thanks to Kalibek for the great idea)
* Added resist training method 4 (thanks to Korik Bloodguard -- unless he wants it out /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif)
* Added stats discussion (hope its readable)
* Added mongbats as a viable way to raise parry (thanks to macnosaj)
* Added "Voice of the Fallen King" as an honorable mention (thanks to Juppo /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif)
--
Things still needing to be put here;

Tactics

Anything else?

And, of course, if credit isn't given where credit is due, feel free to blame me and I'll stuff it in here somewhere (if I can find it), or, if you feel you don't want your stuff in my crummy FAQ, let me know, and I'll delete it right away /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

So, add stuff, correct stuff, do your best, challenge me into editing my post as much as I did the last one! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
Now's the time to pick me down, so give it your best!

Fire away!

* Special thanks to SkyDog for his hit chance calculator /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif (His utilities - including the hit chance calculator and a Doom Lamp post helper.)

D

drgn

yeah i was thinking about cramming in changes to the mage FAQ myself, got somewhat sidetracked, and my meager knowledge of the past issues/changes, and compared to ole chandalir im a knowledge newb /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. Kinda glad i put it aside after looking at this. only think that need to be seperated a bit is the sections into posts as such, or some kindof layout change. but otherwise its fantastic.

the problem with template's nowdays is the only 4ish standard templates are focus/parry/scribe and ofcourse tank. the rest are just mixtures of those with extras put in or taken out but not enough to call them a standard template. I blame powerscrolls /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

with tactics, i really dont think they should even be put in the FAQ, alot of the people today need to learn for themselves what works and what doesnt, both pvm and pvp. just seems like alot of spoon feeding to me. someone macros a mage and wants to know how to be 'uber' in 10minutes. Not something id like to see supported.

Not really sure if you wanted someone else to tackle these, thought id give it a shot, probably a waste of time if you've already written something not posted, but hey, heres my meager attempt :p

--Armor (Non-Medable vs Medable, And How To Tell The Difference).--

Armor now days, is required, nolonger will you walk round felucca in your newbied clothes looking for action, unless you're on siege or a thief looking for a powerscroll. Besides resists which are fairly obvious, and total resist isnt always the best way to decide wether or not its worth forking out a little extra. So you may want to look at the mods which they have, those directly helping a mage are;

Lower Regent Cost
Lower Mana Cost
Regeneration's (Mana and Hitpoint specifically)
And Stat/Pool bonuses
Mage Armour

Lower Regent Cost is best for purely PvM activities where your likely to burn more regents than you have. Basically how this works is how ever many percentage you have in LRC is your percentage chance to not use regents for the spell you cast. This also has another usage, which is simply, emergancy, on the odd occasion you might find yourself without scrolls in your runebook and stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for the bus thats just not going to come. This can happen quite frequently if you PvP away from the moongates and find yourself looted of your precious regents, not to worry if you have a lrc piece of armour or jewelry just cast away, it may take a few goes and your off home or to the bank to restock and get back into it.

Lower Mana Cost isn't that helpful untill you build it up somewhat, for example 5% means that your sixth level spells will cost 19mana instead of 20. this is more useful in PvP if you happen to be able to build a decent resist suit with high LMC (5-8).

Regeneration is my personal favourite mod, Mana regen is terribly helpful for those long PvP sessions, ganks and duels, your still going to dump your mana fairly quickly but atleast youll get a few more spells out than you would otherwise, and you'll be back into it alot quicker, this does stack with Meditation and Focus. If you would like to find out exactly what your regen rate is, check the Mana regen calculator previously mentioned.
&lt;no decent info on hp and stam regen ... if anyone has a calc? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

Stat and Pool bonus's are just as they say, they increase your stats, ingenius... however building up your hitpoint and mana pools coupled with Blessing yourself frequently can make you a formidible opponent, and may mean the difference between dying and living, and killing or missing that final killshot. Also if your a mage weilding a weapon youll find that this is the easiest way to increase your swing speed with a fast weapon without having to invest stat points in dexterity.

Mage armour simply means that this armour is medable regardless of its obviously not medable nature.

-Meditation Issue?

Medable armour is all things leather (not studded). Your choices are rather limited in being a mage, with the need to meditate. But however with the advent of Age of Shadows and spiffy new item properties that some love and alot hate, we now have Mage armour, which basically mages the great new valorite tunic with all the mods and resists you were after a worthwhile buy.

You cant meditate in the following; Studded, Bone, Ring, Chain or Plate without it being mage armour.

I hear you asking why this is a big deal? Vets chuckle, newbies hide in shame. While not only can you not actively meditate in this armour your passive mana regen rate drops to a terrible 0.2. (no mods or focus included). So just because that Close Helm has 60 Resists 2Hit Point Regen, 2Mana Regen and 20%LRC doesnt mean it is good for you. (note: dont laugh i met a mage in doom wearing helm of insight, when i commented he said it was for 'more mana regen')

--Jewelry (And Faster Casting Discussion).--

"Jewelry? What kindof sissy man do you think I am?", one that probably has some angst if your saying that I say, how about going to felucca? Taking out some of the new found aggression and testing your new spiffy mage out. Well hold up there, Rings and Bracelets have alot of mods that armour do, infact all but the Regen I believe (except for artifacts), but they also have alot of mods that are unavailable on your non-artifact armour. So you've probably already trialed out your LRC suit if you've got to the point of looking at felucca, so you know about the LRC on rings and Bracelets, and possibly the LMC and obviously Night Sight.

Before going on to the big hitter of all it would be nice to mention the underdogs.
Resists, Resists on rings and Bracelets can help you buff out a few points here and there, generally not fantastic, but sometimes very helpful.
Hit Chance Increase (HCI) and Defense Chance Increase (DCI) , both fantastic, HCI however is mostly just usefull for a tank, yet DCI is usefull to every mage out there.
And the stat pools again.

Which leads me to the one thing that has become completely required in Felucca, don't get me wrong, this 'helps' in Trammel, but its nowhere near as required as it is in Felucca. Well what the hell am I talking about?

Faster Cast and its little brother Fast Cast Recovery.

Seems fairly straight forward to most, but this basically means, that you Cast and recover faster. Wasn't so hard eh? But whats this mean to you? Simply put if your opponent is casting at FC 2 / FCR 4 (the old default) and you dont match this speed, you have very little chance of winning, as this effectively means getting off double the spells in the same time frame.

Keep in mind the highest you'll find as monster loot is FC1 / FCR3 which is fairly rare to say the least. A good 1/2 piece can set you back a fortune, a good 1/3 ring can set you back in time, and an arti will make you god for a day.

Below is a table and formula for bringing out the most of your jewelry choices.

&lt;Straight cut, havent meddled with krrios' work at all, major kudos to him for it too /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif, this is mostly as i havent done my own research and cant highly comment on this, but it all appears accurate. has anyone verified that there is truth/no truth behind LordKambria's claim? krrios post&gt;
-----

as quoted from a developer, a minimum of 0.25 has been applied to the casting delay

-3 FC -2 FC -1 FC 0 FC 1 FC 2 FC 3 FC 4 FC
First 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.25
Second 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25
Third 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50
Fourth 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75
Fifth 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00
Sixth 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25
Seventh 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50
Eighth 3.50 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75

0 FCR 1 FCR 2 FCR 3 FCR 4 FCR 5 FCR 6 FCR 7 FCR 8 FCR 9 FCR
Recovery Delay 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

(drgn: this table hates me and doesnt want to come out right)

-edit- Also, about fifth circle summon spells. They use the same recovery delays as other spells. The cast delay, however, has an extra 7 seconds tacked on, not the 6 suggested by guide.uo.com. Each FC item reduces the time by 1.25 seconds--5 times faster than normal. The algorithm is:

Cast Delay = (3 + Circle + 28 - (FC * 5)) / 4

Or simplified,

Cast Delay = (36 - (FC * 5)) / 4

And the table:

-3 FC -2 FC -1 FC 0 FC 1 FC 2 FC 3 FC 4 FC
Delay 12.75 11.50 10.25 9.00 7.75 6.50 5.25 4.00

-----

Hopefully its all fairly accurate, if its not ... well sue me /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Chandalir

<center><font color=blue>Raising Skills.</font color=blue></center>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>8x8 Guide.</font color=00008B>[/list]
8x8 is the skillgain method we've all come to know and love, because it raises skills very quickly compared to regular gameplay. That being said, to ease understanding of how it works, it might be a good idea to explain why its called 8x8 in the first place. The world we live in, Sosaria, is divided into 1000's of little squares, called tiles. A tile is, basically, a step. Each time you take a step, you've moved a tile. Skillsgains work somewhat on this basis thanks to the anti macro code implemented just prior to UO Renaissance (many years ago), but instead of dividing the world into tiles, it divides it into squares. Each "gain square" is 8 tiles by 8 tiles (64 tiles total), and thus came the name 8x8. Its also important to note that due to this, your skillgains do not depend entirely on landing on one exact tile, but that you have 64 to choose from with the exact same outcome.

So, how do you 8x8?

Well, its pretty simple actually. You attempt to get a gain in whichever method you can, and once you do, you move 8 tiles north (upper right corner) or south (lower left corner) (depending on shards: most shards are north bound, with exception of Europa, Drachenfels and Lake Austin). There, that wasn't too hard, was it? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif You just need to move 8 steps to get a second gain.

Why are people having trouble with this you ask? Cause its most commonly applied on boats. Boats are horrid, annoying things that never do as you want them to. However, with a vast ocean to move around in, its pretty clear to see why its a good place to do it; you won't run into a pesky dungeon wall, a mountain or the sea itself. The thing is, its very easy to miss a gain square cause of the way boats move. So, this is how you prevent missing squares. Sail around slowly (slow forward, slow left, etcetera), and then pretype "stop" and do your skillgain thing (whichever it might be for whichever skill it is). The very second you see a skillgain pop up in your lower left corner, you hit enter. The boat is now stopped.

And that is where it gets tricky. Don't despair however! Moving 8 tiles precisly on a boat isn't at all hard, you just have to know how to do it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif You use the same commands as always, but you apply "one" on the end (eg, backwards one), and you've moved one tile. So, simple deduction is that you say "&lt;direction&gt; one" 8 times, and voila, you're where you should be for your next gain. There really isn't more to it than that. Eventually your run will run out (it might even happen after the very first gain; but do yourself a favor and try the skill a few times before giving up), and you'll have to start over looking for a new run.

Utilizing this method, you can see skillgains ranging from 0.1 up to 20.0 (or more!) per run. So, its easy to see why this method is used.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Magery.</font color=00008B>[/list]
Magery is an 8x8able skill, which means, no matter what you do, you have to move around to gain the skill. Wether or not you take advantage of 8x8 is entirely up to you, just don't expect to see gains if you don't move around a lot. Its also difficulty based, so you need to cast different spells at different levels to gain. Don't expect to GM magery by casting magic arrow in one spot /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

So, what spells do you cast at what level? Well, read on! Keep in mind that these skill levels are displayed skill levels, meaning, if your magery is somehow adjusted (by jewelry or mage weaponry) you'll have to cast spells according to that level. More on that later.

<font color=8B0000>0.0 - 30.x</font color=8B0000>

Don't be silly. Buy it from an NPC guildmaster mage.

<font color=8B0000>30.x - 50.0</font color=8B0000>

A mix of 3rd and 4th. You're probably in the middle of setting up your character, getting clothes, etc, so emphasis on recall and teleport might help. Im not really sure what to do here, since I always start with 50 magery. Regardless of what you do it shouldn't take very long to achieve anyway.

<font color=8B0000>50.0 - 65.0</font color=8B0000>

Emphasis on 5th circle; any will do.
Paralyze, mindblast, magic reflection and poison field are all very good spells at this level, and will be able to aid you quite a lot in actual combat.
If you 8x8, paralyze is probably your best choice, since its targettable, doesn't have a delay, and its cheap. Just try to hit your spellbook with it and you'll be able to gain. Besides, if you paralyze yourself, you might just get a resist gain or two (always handy).

<font color=8B0000>65.0 - 80.0</font color=8B0000>

6th circle! Now you ought to be feeling quite powerful, considering you can now cast the main offensive spells that a mage has -- explosion and energy bolt. Your first real view of power... well, that is, when you succesfully cast them /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Prepare to fizzle a lot at first, so stick with those 5th as well for now. Once you get to the 70's range, you ought to have a pretty comfortable rate of success with 6th circle, so you can make some decent money from training at this point.
8x8; explosion, energy bolt, invis -- all cheap, all targettable, all without delay.

<font color=8B0000>80.0 - 92.0</font color=8B0000>

Flamestrike and gate travel. Thats really all there is to say for this level. If you want, work your compassion around now, since gate travel will give you skillgains, and NPC escorts will give you compassion and gold. Nifty aint it?
For 8x8, go with flamestrike -- silk and ash beats almost any spell in reagent cost. Or, alternatively, mana vampire if you're craving a resist gain or two.

<font color=8B0000>92.0 - 100.0</font color=8B0000>

Any 7th and 8th. It really doesn't matter -- you're close to your goal now, so try to have fun in this step /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Cast anything under the sky.
Earthquake or flamestrikes for 8x8. Earthquake cause its a spell with no timer and no control slots, and flamestrike cause it'll take you all the way to GM believe it or not.

<font color=8B0000>100.0 - 120.0</font color=8B0000>

Earthquake pretty much all the way. Any 8th will do of course, but considering the level, you really are better off 8x8ing it. Im sure flamestrike will take you to 105 (havent tried) but gains are gonna be few and far apart, so stick with 8th circle after 100.0. You'll get there /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=8B0000>Items To Use While Training Magery</font color=8B0000>

LRC Suit : Lower Reagent Cost. Pretty self explanitory. Get a medable (more on this later) suit with the property "Lower Reagent Cost" on it, and you'll save reagents. Keep in mind, you can do this even without a 100% one (they add up), and every little bit you add will save you gold in the long run. For instance, I GMd necromancy (LRC works for magery, necromancy and chivalry; nothing else) with an 85% LRC suit and ~200 of each reagent.

Mage Weapons : For use in training, you'll want a spell channeling mage weapon (at this stage it doesn't matter if it has "Faster Casting -1", but this is the only stage), as they lower your displayed magery, meaning, you can cast lower circle spells, thus, conserving mana. Don't expect the gains to come a whole lot quicker though, just be happy you're saving a bunch of mana casting energy bolts rather than earthquakes. This is where displayed skill comes in; for instance, if you have 90 magery (showreal) and equip a -28 mage weapon wand, you have 62 displayed magery, which means you should be casting 5th circle rather than 7th. That's a nifty 26 mana discount on each gain attempt.

Mage Weapons In Melee : Another route with mage weaponry is to use them in melee to whack things for gains. Yes, its possible to gain magery without casting a spell. You just hit stuff /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Again, keep in mind your displayed skill, and find a gain range that applies to that, and not your showreal skill. Again, using a -28 mage weapon wand at 90 showreal, meaning 62 displayed skill, you'll want to thwap corpsers or skeletons for gains. Its not fast however; if you want fast gains, stick to 8x8.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Evaluate Intelligence.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Basically, any spell will raise this skill through passive gains. Any! 8x8 works with this skill as well, so if this is your preference, stick to magic arrow (cheapest in gold, cheapest in mana). Alternatively you can raise the skill through using it actively, ie evaluating people, but imo, it really isn't worth the time investment, so just stick to spells.
If you want to save time on this skill, work your magery and milk all the evaluate intelligence gains you get, and finish off the skill once you're done -- don't do it the other way around. Doing evaluate first is a huge waste of time AND reagents, so save yourself the trouble.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Meditation &amp; Focus.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Cast spells -- or rather, keep your mana low. Everytime you gain a point of mana you have a chance to gain in meditation and focus. Its really that simple. Of course, they also requires movement, so yes, you guessed it -- more 8x8able skills if you prefer /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Chivalry, Necromancy &amp; Spiritspeak.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
What? You expected to find everything here? Ha! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

Link to the Paladin board FAQ for Chivalry gain guide.

Link to the Necromancer board FAQ for both Necromancy &amp; Spiritspeak gain guides.

So sue me, I'm lazy /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Hiding.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Actually, there's no real reason this one should even be in here. However, it gets honorable mention for being a pain in the arse to raise even with 8x8 (pretty much the only way you'll GM this skill), and for being a skill many mages enjoy. Its only here to tell you to go 8x8 it and stop bugging us with questions about it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Other Skills.</font color=00008B>[/list]
<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Resist.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
No, this isn't the end all, be all guide to raising resist. I, personally can't be bothered (if you want to spend the time, please, feel free to do so) because of <font color=red>MrTact's</font color=red> promise of changing skillgains by publish 22, so writing a full guide for something that is about to be changed is, in my opinion, a waste of time. However, you probably want to get started already, so, just to get you started, here's a few things to try.

<font color=8B0000>0.0 - 55.x</font color=8B0000>

Buy it and start debuffing yourself (level 1 curse type spells; clumsy, weaken, feeblemind). Once you hit 25.x odds are your gains will slow down. This is when you apply protection (level 2 spell) which lowers your magic resist by 30.0-35.0 skillpoitns. Then you simply start debuffing yourself while running/sailing around, and get to 55 (I got to 60 on one character with inscription at GM, but it took a while -- I should be able to get to 65 doing it, but since I had inscription).

<font color=8B0000>55.x - 120.0</font color=8B0000>

Method one : Quit your guild (if you're in one) and find an enclosed area somewhere in Trammel (sorry Siege folks; this won't work for you -- well, it will, but you'll die lots and lots /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif). Summon a pair of air elementals and tell them to "kill" you. They'll attack, but since you're in Trammel, you take no damage, but you still get gains. Think it sounds like an exploit? Tell the tamers that've been doing it with pets for years. Gains are slow with this method, but its completely safe, and it works all the way to 120.0 (although, I would do the last points differently).

Method two : Hunt spellcasters. Imps, deamons, meer eternals, liches, lich lords -- any spell casting monster that will cast debuff spells, poisons, mana drains and paralyze will get you gains. Prepare to go out of your mind while attempting this however, as its very slow, and gets to be extremely boring. I'm of the opinion that any monster will do at any level -- I've been gaining off of meer eternals at ~63 skill level, and they have 90+ in both magery and evaluate.

Method three : The item way. Get jewelry to raise your magic resist skill to your cap (which means, if you want to eat a resist powerscroll, don't until you're GM -- it'll cost you time). Note that this only works if the jewelry brings you to your skillcap, so you can't use it till you have at least 70.0 in the skill, and even then, only if you have maximum jewelry. Put on the jewelry and start fighting a monster (use reapers; you won't want to move too much, or die for that matter). If you don't gain off of one reaper within a few spells, move on and fight the next. Eventually, you'll get a gain -- now its time to just sit there and outheal the damage it does. You'll gain all the way to your cap. Wondering if this is an exploit then? Well, last I heard, the dev team consider it somewhat like raising anatomy, so I wouldn't worry.

<font color=red>Be aware that if a GM sees you do this, it is basically his call as to wether or not its bannable.</font color=red>

Method four (thanks to Korik Bloodguard) : Get a boat, go to Felucca T2A Ice one or two spawns, and check every so often for a semidar spawn, You'll know it is one by the Imps and Mongbats that are around..

Place a ship, lure like 40 imps to the shore, bring some friends, eat some petals and watch your resist go wayyyyy up!

That's it. Get to work, cause you've got a long walk ahead of you with the current way resist raises /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Inscription.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Only here cause some people do not realize Stratics has a scribe forum /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

Link to the Scribe board FAQ.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Alchemy.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Well, danged, there's a whole board for these too!

Link to the Alchemy board skillgain FAQ.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Poisoning.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
I must be on a roll here, cause by golly, here's another link, just for you /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Link to the Assassin board skillgain FAQ.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Melee Skills On A Mage &amp; Anatomy On A Mage.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Want more links? Fine! No, just kidding, sorry /php-bin/shared/images/icons/blush.gif

So, you want a melee skill mage? Well, lets start out by defining just what skills this part entails:

Melee skills are defined as fencing, mace fighting, swordsmanship and wrestle. However, archery uses the same skillgains, so you can safely assume that anything that works for wrestle works for archery as well.

Yes, yes, I'll get on with it. You're not here to read an entire essay, are you? Of course not, you're here for numbers /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif So here they are . . .

As with anything, buy it. I don't care if you want to raise it "naturally", 300 gp is well worth the annoyance of skillgains.

<font color=8B0000>30.x - 40.x</font color=8B0000>

Hinds, harts and other small stuff like that. Easily found north of the Sacrifice shrine in Ilshenar or on Moonglow isle in either Felucca or Trammel. Hinds aren't that hard to find, really, and this step is quick.

<font color=8B0000>40.x - 70.x</font color=8B0000>

Skeletons or corpsers. Skeletons can be found in the Yew crypt, or in various cemetaries (or, as far as I'm concerned, all over the place in Ilshenar). Corpsers are most readily found in the end of Covetous dungeon level 1. Only thing to be wary of there is a gazer or two, but they usually never wander down to the corpsers. I'd, personally, go to corpser route, as it saves on armor repairs since they never hit back.

<font color=8B0000>70.x - 100.0</font color=8B0000>

Well, you're a mage! Use earth elementals! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif Seriously, summon an earth elemental if you can, tell it "all guard me" and start wailing on it. Note, however, that if you do this in Trammel, you must be guilded. Be warned; they will hit you once, but that's it. Don't be frightened when they hit you that one time.

Alternatively, head on over to Jhelom to hire a 7gp fighter (keep hiring/dismissing till you find one that charges 7 gp per day) and hand him some gold. Tell him the same as the earth elemental, and you're free to gain.

You could also hike to Delucia and hire a paladin. Its the same concept as the other two, but they're a bit more durable.

And lastly, you can use pets. A 90.0 skillpoint pet ought to give you excellent gains at first, and if you're smart about it, you can make your pet gain all the way to GM with you. Get a tamer to lore one to tell you what level its at. Id, personally, use this method with a swamp dragon, as they're immensely useful, so get one of them and train both it and yourself at the same time. Win-win situation.

7 gp fighters, as outlined above, will take you all the way to legendary.

However, a more interesting approach (besides rotting corpses which are oh so boring) is to head on over to Doom (new Malas dungeon) and partake in the gaunlet. You'll gain pretty danged well in there, and you have a chance of walking out with a shining new artifact. Couldn't be better (although, bring spare weapons if you go there for melee skill gains that require weapons).

Anatomy is much simpler to raise. All you need is a bunch of bandages, or a way to harm yourself (or an NPC if you so desire). Damage yourself (or put on a magical wizard hat to drop your strength by 5, and take it off to raise it without raising hitpoints) and start applying a bandage. Make sure your healing skill is locked. Move around applying bandages, and eventually you'll find a gain in anatomy. Don't move! You'll want to keep applying bandages at this very 8x8 square. You should gain on nearly every bandage you apply. Its very possible to gain more than 50.0 points in one spot using this method.

<ul>[*]<font color=551A8B>Raising Parrying On A Mage.</font color=551A8B>[/list]
Preparations : Get a spined suit of leather, and a shield (dull copper if you feel the need to boost durability/physical resist). That's all. You don't need anything else. Well, except something to gain on.

Do I need to say it? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=8B0000>30.x - 50.x</font color=8B0000>

9+ cats, birds, sheep, pigs, mongbats (found in great quantities in several places; easiest access would be all over Moonglow isle), anything low level. Head on over to the Jhelom farm (go to Jhelom and take the northernmost teleporter in the center of town) and you'll have enough animals to play with (ew?).

<font color=8B0000>50.x - 100.0</font color=8B0000>

Sheep. 9 sheep. Yes, it sounds silly, is silly, and most probably won't get changed. Live with it. Just do yourself a favor and turn your sound off, or you're gonna have some odd dreams about sheep the following night.

Jhelom fighting pits. Disarm all the female fighters you can find and attack them (either disarm with a wrestler, a weapon with disarm, or get someone else to disarm them). Attack as many as you can find; they should do very little or no damage at all, and should get you gain all the way to legendary. You should also be able to have 20+ hitting you at the same time.

Be warned, however. Parrying is a flimsy skill. It seems to raise differently for different people, so if you're not having any luck, try to head on over to the Warrior's forum for additional help.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Guaranteed Gain System.</font color=00008B>[/list]
So, you've hit a skill gain "wall", also known as, your skill being stuck dead in its track?

Well, don't despair, its not as bad as it may seem. When Publish 16 came around, and thus, the removal of "powerhour", OSI implemented another gain system known as the "Guaranteed Gain System", or GGS for short, which basically was intended to prevent people getting stuck on their skills. What it does is guarantee you gain in a skill if you go for an extended period of time without a gain. This period of time depends on two things; 1) your skillcap (as daft as that may sound) and 2) your skill level. The higher your skillcap and your skill level are, the longer there is between the system guaranteeing your gain. Unfortunally, this means that at high levels in both, it takes up to several days before you get a guaranteed gain, but on the upside, you don't have to be logged in during this time. It may take a few (or a lot) of tries to get the GGS gain when you're due, but it will come.

Basically, you'll probably by now, if you've hit a wall, want to know how long you'll have to wait till you're guaranteed a gain; well, I'll ship you off to the table on the www.uo.com site so you can see for yourself /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Guaranteed Gain System detailed on uo.com.

As you can see, guaranteed gains range from as low as 1 minute inbetween and all the way up to 51 hours.

And, if you're interested, here's a handy utility for keeping track of GGS gains (Davina's GGS Timer).

C

Chandalir

<center><font color=blue>Skill Discussion.</font color=blue></center>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Magery.</font color=00008B>[/list]
Yes, well, lets start out with discussing magery then, shall we? Afterall, this IS the mage board /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

The main thing about this discussion will be to see how high its really worth raising magery. I'm sure most of us want to save skillpoints, or even gold, so this will go into detail telling you why you won't have to raise your magery to 120.0 and expending the better part of 10 million on a scroll.

First off, this page at guide.uo.com is vital to the discussion. It tells us precisly what the breakpoints for casting mage spells 100% of the time is. This is a good thing!

Second off, its equally vital to understand that magery, since Age of Shadows, doesn't add a danged thing to damage on most spells; in fact, the only damage increase you'll see is on the spell mindblast*. There are a few other factors as well, but they're not important for now.

Now, the far majority of your spells being cast will most probably be level 7 or below. From the link above, we can see that 7th circle spells will be cast 100% of the time at 106 magery. Of course, 106 magery doesn't add much in terms of 8th circle spells, but you most likely won't be casting them all that much.

There are, of course, a few other reasons to raise magery higher than 106, besides casting 8th circle more flawlessly. The ability to poison an opponent with the poison spell is dependant entirely upon your magery, but, keep in mind that if you have a weapon skill, odds are you'll succeed more in hitting your opponent than passing his magic resistance, so find a weapon with the infectous strike special move. Of course, this isn't an alternative for wrestler mages, so they should take magery as high as they can afford simply for the poison spell. Another thing is heals -- they heal more the higher magery you have. But, the difference is minimal. The maximum points healed you'll ever see on a greater heal spell, for instance, is approximately magery/2; meaning 106 will heal up to 53, whereas 120 will heal up to 60. So, again, not a winning point at all. You can buy a lot of ginseng for greater heals for the amount of money a +20 magery scroll costs.

So, the conclusion is; unless you rely heavily on magery to do your poisoning chores (pvp), or rely heavily on 8th circle spells (pvm), the need for higher than 106 magery is abysmal at best, unless you have skillpoints and money to spend.

*: Mindblast damage: (Magery+Intelligence)/5 + (0-4) (whomever added this formula to the FAQ update thread deserves credit)

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Evaluate Intelligence.</font color=00008B>[/list]
The damage source of a mage. This is your tactics. Without it, your spells will do a pitiful 4-10 damage. Magery isn't offensive without this skill, unless you rely on summons and poisons.

&lt;if anyone has a spell damage calculator, Id appreciate a ton adding it here to show the true effect, rather than just observations&gt;

The only observation is that evaluate intelligence is well worth every last point you can put into it. 115 evaluate outranks the entire effect of GM inscription (10% spell damage increase), so its the most effective way to add spell damage on your mage.

Another effect of evaluate is the ability to bless and curse people. Yes, believe it or not, this is based on evaluate. With 0 evaluate, you'll bless for 1 point for 1-5 seconds at most. It isn't worth it without evaluate.

Buffs and debuffs are based on these formulaes:

De-Buffing stat spells: 8 + Eval Int/10 - Resist /10 = Percentage reduction (whomever added this formula to the FAQ update thread deserves credit)

Buffing stat spells: Eval Int/10 +1 = Percentage increase (whomever added this formula to the FAQ update thread deserves credit)

For instance, a grandmaster scholar weakening a 90 strength, 90 resist opponent would look like this;

8 + 100/10 - 90/10 = %

18 - 9 = %

9% of 90 strength is 8.1, meaning, he'd lose 8 points in strength, bringing him to 82.

A note to add here : curses are currently bugged (and have been since Age of Shadows was launched) in that they subtract hitpoints wrongly. In the example above, the opponent would have 95 hitpoints to begin with, and he would be down to 87 hitpoints if the spell wasn't bugged.

However, how it does it is like this;

The 90 strength is reduced to 82.

Hitpoints are recalculated from 82 (82/2 + 50 = 91).

Curse effect is subtracted from the new hitpoint calculation, eg, 91 - 8, so he's down to 83 hipoints.

This is a bug, and will hopefully be fixed!

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Meditation &amp; Focus.</font color=00008B>[/list]
One of the most commonly asked questions post Age of Shadows is "does meditation and focus stack, and how?". Fortunally, Lamb666 was able to figure out how it works precisly. So, I'll just copy/paste what he found out /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif Of course, he deserves full credit, I'm just spreading the word.

To calculate your mana regeneration rate, use the following:

If Meditation is less than GM: N = Meditation * 3 + Intelligence

If Meditation is GM or greater: N = ( Meditation * 3 + Intelligence ) * 1.1

If wearing meditation blocking: N = 0

Mana/s = ( N / 40 ) * 0.1 + 0.2

The Table below shows different medi/int and what speed of regen you can get.

<pre>

Meditation Skill Level
X | 80 90 100 110 120
---------------------------------------------------
50 | 0.9 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
60 | 1.0 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
I 70 | 1.0 1.0 1.2 1.3 1.3
n 80 | 1.0 1.0 1.2 1.3 1.4
t 90 | 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
100 | 1.0 1.1 1.3 1.3 1.4
110 | 1.0 1.1 1.3 1.4 1.4
120 | 1.1 1.1 1.3 1.4 1.5
</pre>

Every 20 focus counts as a mana regeneration item.

Each mana regeneration item counts adds an extra 0.1 mana/s.

So for instance 120 meditation and 125 int gives N = (120*3 + 125) * 1.1 = 533.5

Truncate(533.5/40) = 13

13*0.1 + 0.2 = 1.5 mana/s

And, for easier access to the numbers (seriously, who wants to sit here adding numbers? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif), Kharn of these boards wrote a very nifty Mana Regeneration Calculator, so feel free to use it to find out your optimum mana regeneration rate based on focus, meditation and mana regeneration items.

And, just to add my own twist to this part of the discussion as well (/php-bin/shared/images/icons/blush.gif), its worth noting that the necromancy spells can also add to mana regeneration; in my testing, lich form adds 1.3 mana/second to your regeneration, whereas vampiric embrace adds 0.2 mana/second, which, of course, makes both of them attractive if you have the necromancy skill already. The shadow wisp familiar is another method of adding mana to your pool, even if it isn't on a "per second" basis, but more in spurts. At most I've been able to figure, it adds approximately 0.1 mana/second at the lowest karma level.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Magic Resistance (and why we laugh at those who dropped it with Age of Shadows /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif).</font color=00008B>[/list]
What? You think magic resistance is useless? Well, I guess this won't interest you at all then . . .

Debuff spells are based directly on evaluate vs magic resist (as outlined above in the evaluate discussion). With 0 resist, you'll take up to 20% reduction in stats from a legendary scholar. Want to talk abysmal horrors and their 200.0 evaluate? You're looking at an astounding 28% reduction! Still not convinced?

Poison spell is based directly upon magery vs magic resist. At 0 resist you have 0% chance of resisting poison. Meaning, you'll be poisoned as soon as someone glances at you.

&lt;again, if someone has a formula for figuring out how poison vs resist works precisly, post it!&gt;

Is it getting to you yet? No? Well then, what about this? Mana drain, is again, based on evaluate vs resist. At 0 resist your mana pool will be completely drained for a full 4 seconds, whereas at 100 resist you'll lose around 40 from a grandmaster scholar. Of course, then there's mana vampire -- mana vampire is extraordinarily simple to calculate: (casters evaluate - targets resist) is transferred from targets mana pool to casters mana pool. What? That 100 mana you just had is now mine. Think you'll live on?

Paralyze is another outstanding example! Again, evaluate vs resist. Its simple as well, and appears to have a slight modifier at the end (such as +2 seconds added). If you have 0 magic resist, prepare to be a sitting duck for 10+ seconds. Lovely isn't it?

Of course, this is totally barring the necromancy spells blood oath, mind rot and corpse skin, which has their duration directly dependant on your magic resist. And then there's the dreaded pain spike which has its damage calculated in part based on magic resistance.

And then there's the last small benefit of magic resist. It adds to your "natural" resistances, meaning, it adds to resists across the board (physical, fire, cold, poison, energy), although, it does not stack with armor.

How much it adds is determined by these formulas:

Below 40 Resist, your minimum resistance is 0.

Between 40 and 100, your minimum resistance value is (Skill * 10) - 400) / 15.

Above 100 skill, your minimum resistance value is (Skill + 100) / 5.

If you've read the whole thing, did it impress you? Did it make you think twice about thinking resist is useless? Good, that's why its here /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif A finishing note is that many of us mages or necromages will never fear someone without resist in pvp. If any of this hasn't convinced you, fine, suit yourself. I'm not one to complain about another resistless target running around /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif (phew, I never have to type out the effects of magic resist again! yay me!).

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Melee Skill vs Wrestling Vs Anatomy Vs Parrying.</font color=00008B>[/list]
Alrighty, one of the most controversial subjects since Age of Shadows is this. It should be noted here, that this discussion mostly involves pvp, as avoiding being hit in pvm isn't a big deal since most monsters are slow as dirt (more on this later).

Firstly, I'll shove yet another link out there : Hit/Defense chance calculator (whoever wrote that, please step up and get the credit you deserve?). It should be noted, however, that it isn't entirely correct, in that it adds together the chance to dodge and the chance to block (read on, you'll know what I mean), despite them being two different calculations. That being said, its an excellent toy at any rate /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Second off, we'll have the whole anatomy + evaluate thing again. Yes, sorry, but too many people still ask about it, so its getting added here!

In the past serious mages have always wanted wrestling to prevent being hit in melee (since they have no weapon equipped when casting spells). When you dodge a hit, your spellcasting isn't interupted, thus its necessarry to kill anything that will melee you.

However, Publish 16 changed this a bit. It is now possible to dodge melee hits without having wrestling, but instead having anatomy and evaluate intelligence. The formula for defensive wrestling effects of the anatomy/evaluate relationship looks like this:

<pre>(Anatomy skill + Evaluate Intelligence skill + 20) divided by 2 </pre>

What this means is, at 100.0 evaluate intelligence and 100.0 anatomy you have 110.0 effective defensive wrestling. It also means that you only need to boost one of the skills to 120.0 to receive the full 120.0 defensive wrestling.

Note : The Anatomy/Evaluate intelligence relation does not give you any effect whatsoever in offensive capabilities. Thus you will not be able to hit your opponent (wether to interupt or to start spellcasting), and you will not be able to activate paralyzing blow and disarm modes. If you wish either of these things (disruption/special moves) you're gonna have to pick up wrestling.

Another thing to note : wrestling and the eval/anatomy relationship is in no way cumulative. Do not pick up all 3 skills thinking you're gonna be impossible to hit. The only one you'll have in effect is the higher of the two.

Evocares quote on the subject on the old and closed www.uo.com message board; unfortunally the original thread is lost, but what he stated was saved:
<blockquote><hr>

As a quick note, the actual formula for "dodging" a swing with anat/eval is: (anat+eval+20)/2, capped at 120 max. So, a character with 120 eval, 100 anat (for example) actually has a full 120 "hit evasion" ability

<hr></blockquote>

Now!

The chance to dodge a hit (meaning, you're not hit at all) is the same for all types of melee skills or the anatomy/eval thing, as long as the skill levels are equal. 110 swords = 110 wrestle = 110 fencing = 110 archery = 110 macing = (100 eval + 100 anatomy). So, unless you're really really strapped for skillpoints, or just plain lazy, there's no reason to pick up anatomy/eval, cause the other skills have more benefits.

The main reason, other than dodging, for picking up a melee skill is special moves. Special moves add a whole new level to a mage, and can be great! However, you do have to keep a weapon armed to have an effect of them, which means you'll want a one handed spell channeling/no penalty (more on this later) weapon, and if you're disarmed (barring any bugs) you're in trouble. However, in this case the pro's outweigh the con's, in my opinion. Adding special moves to the arseneal of a mage can be truely terrifying, and is very interesting to play as well.

Wrestle is, in my opnion, best used on parry mages, as they'll want to have a hand free. On any other mage I'd rather have freedom of special moves rather than the two (paralyzing blow and disarm) used by wrestling. Other than that, feel free to add this skill to your template, whichever reason you have. There are no con's to the skill at all, other than not being able to use "Use Best Weapon Skill" weapons (since its not a weapon skill). Its pure gain.

Archery, well, of course, adds a ranged attack, and a few limited special moves. If you ask me, this skill is best used on a tank mage (with tactics/anatomy) for added damage, as its fruitless having a two handed weapon armed without being able to do any damage with it. Save this skill for the tank mages.

Now, parrying. Does it substitute any of the above? Absolutely . . . not. However, as a mage you have to keep in mind that you already have the anatomy + eval thing going on wether you want it or not, meaning that at gm evaluate you have (0 + 100 + 20)/2 = 60 defensive wrestle. Add in parry's skilllevel * 0.3 chance of blocking and its very close in being equal in terms of avoiding damage. Also worth noting that parry drains mana from your opponent if you manage to block a special move.

All in all, its pretty much personal taste what you want on your mage -- more offensive options, or passive defensive options. If you want my opinion on the matter, always always pick up a melee skill/wrestle/anatomy before picking up parrying. There, I said it, hate me! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Besides, its all too likely that parrying will be nerfed sometime in the near future *tries to look innocent*

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Alchemy, Inscription &amp; Poisoning.</font color=00008B>[/list]
<font color=8B0000>Alchemy</font color=8B0000> on a mage template only really has one purpose; it adds to the effectiveness of the purple potions (explosion potions); it was one damage/10 skillpoints prior to Age of Shadows, but none seem to have figured out just exactly how much it is now (if Test Center was running, I'd go find out for you all /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif), so if you have something to add here, toss it in; either here, the alchemy forum, or through PM; inquiring minds want to know /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Also, worth adding in this discussion is a link to an UOAssist macro for throwing potions so they hit your opponent instead of hitting the ground; only thing to be wary of is that it may interfere with spellcasting, so if you utilize this/these macros, prepare to get blown up a few times before you get the hang of it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif The most commonly used explosion macro goes like this (snipped from the old FAQ; thanks to Guildenstern for saving it);

<blockquote><hr>

The All-In-One exp potion macro - originally posted by Vidala

This macro will essentially "double click" the potion, hold it for a few seconds, and throw it at your last target where it should explode instantly. The delays are a bit tricky to do this as it depends on your connection, but once you get it down in the general area it's a lot of fun This is only a macro to throw one PP, so if you wanna do your suicide bomber stunt you're gonna have to do it manually or figure out a UOA macro for that ;p

<font color=8B0000>*Record* </font color=8B0000>

1. Double-click PP (PP = Purple Potion).

2. When the cursor appears to select a target, hit Escape. Let the potion go off.

3. Double-click another PP, and toss it anywhere on screen (ground or person).

<font color=8B0000>*Stop Recording </font color=8B0000>

Your macro should look like this:

Use Item
Target
Use Item
Target

Now to do the "after macro editing". It's very easy and painless.

1. Change the two "Use Item" lines to "Use Item Type" (right-click it) (lines 1 and 3).

2. Change the second "Target" to "Target Last Target" (lin 4). DO NOT CHANGE LINE 2!

3. Add a delay after the first "Target" between line 2 and 3 (it should appear between them). To do this, highlight line 2, click the "Delay" button on the left side of the UOA interface, and insert the delay in milliseconds. Start with a delay of 3200. Depending on your connection, play around with it. If the potion is thrown too late and it explodes on you, reduce the delay time by 50 or 100 milliseconds. If you play the macro and you see the potion land on the ground, then the delay is too short; try bumping it up by 50 or 100 milliseconds. Toy with it until you reach perfection. I often have to change it from a day-to-day basis, since some days I'm laggier than others.

Last but not least, be sure to set whoever or wherever you plan on throwing the potion at is set as your last target.

Enjoy

<hr></blockquote>

Copy/paste's of macros that throw 1, 2 or 3 purple potions in a row; essentially same as above.

<font color=8B0000>Inscription</font color=8B0000> is most known, now, for being an offensive skill -- yes, this does seem strange to many of us oldies as it was a mostly defensive skill from UO Renaissance all the way till Age of Shadows.

I'm going to, once again, ship you off with another link to the Scribe Forum FAQ which lists most of the benefits of inscription on a mage.

And, despite what Nadia may say (/php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif), protection does add -2 faster casting to whomever uses it, so yes, the spell is worthless with or without inscription. Sad to say that is so, as this spell was the #1 reason for many of us oldies to add inscription to our templates /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

<font color=8B0000>Poisoning</font color=8B0000> hasn't changed all that much since AoS, other than actually having a use now. Although, its fairly limited in its application. Firstly, yes, I'm going to throw you a link on the official method of determining which level of poison is cast with the poison and poison field spells. Here you go, just note that its 100% chance of casting deadly poison rather than 10% as listed on that page. Essentially, this makes the skill useless in and by itself on a mage. "But we can cast deadly poison" I hear people say. And my response is always "So?". Deadly poison isn't all that useful. It hits slower than lesser poison which means its easier to cure with the spell "Cure", and the damage on it still bites. So, clearly, that's not the reason to pick up poisoning.

However, if you have a melee skill, poisoning suddenly takes on a whole new look. For one, if your melee skill and poisoning add up to 200.0 points (or more) you get a -5 mana reduction on all special moves. That's pretty good in itself, cause you can keep reapplying poison to your weapon and do infectous strikes for 10 mana (1 mana more than the spell which is flimsy at best). It also has another effect, namely, raising poison levels done with infectous strike one level (based on a percentage; being equal to poisoning skill, so even 0.1 poisoning means an 0.1% chance of inclicting a higher level poison). What this means is that you can inflict level 5 poison. Unlike deadly (level 4) level 5 can actually be scary, partly because it does damage the second its inflicted upon the target. So, with 100.0 poisoning, you'll be infecting your opponents with level 5 poison for 10 mana a pop. Now, that's worth it. However, on a wrestle mage or eval/anat mage, just forget it. It isn't worth it.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Necromancy &amp; Spiritspeak.</font color=00008B>[/list]
I'm not going to add much here, as much have pretty much already been said. Adding necromancy and spiritspeak adds another level to your mage -- this time, in form of 16 new spells, and a new form of healing (that'll heal through anything). Although, most of the forms are fairly useless to a mage in combat (with a few exceptions), there are quite a few spells that have a lot of uses. Strangle is probably the most useful one of them, as it'll interupt your opponent and can be removed with nothing short of remove curse. Pain spike is a great finisher to any arsenal, and seeing as it only costs 5 mana, its always a great bet. Mindrot will make it very hard for an opposing mage to kill you as his spells suddenly cost more mana, and corpse skin will add damage to your fire based spells (of which necromancy has none) provided your opponent doesn't have over 75 fire resist (it lowers fire resist by 15). Poison strike is another good spell for a mage, as it adds the elemental damage he himself lacks, and wither is just alround good, especially vs those pesky paladins /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

All round, necromancy is a great addition to a template, even if it does leave you lacking in the scroll department. Its virtually impossible to build a proper scrolled necro mage so keep that in mind before walking the path.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Chivalry.</font color=00008B>[/list]
I bet many of you didn't see this coming?

Well, chivalry does actually have a few uses for a mage, particularly in pvp. You should always aim for 105 chivalry if possible, as it will let you cast the key spell, holy light, without failing. Holy light casts in half a second, has a 3 tile range, and even if the damage isn't outstanding, its great for interupting. On top of that, it has remove curse for the pesky strangle users (hey, at least I'm not biased /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif), and divine fury which can add to your weapon with 10% swing speed increase. And, of course, it has the best curing spell in the game.

Another spell that's pretty ideal for a mage is the spell "Dispel Evil"; since you, as a mage, will be aiming for 105 chivalry already, this is perfect since the spell is partly skill level determined (only chivalry spell that is), so there's no excuse for not using it. What it does is push away monsters that get too close to you, so if you're surrounded by spawn, or that no-good artifact parry mage just invised himself, you simple toss on a dispel evil, and all the critters scatter to the 4 corners of the world; pretty danged handy /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

So yes, despite what many think, chivalry does have uses on a mage, just don't expect to gain anything from using enemy of one or consecrate weapon /php-bin/shared/images/icons/crazy.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Stats (not per say a skill, but deserves discussion).</font color=00008B>[/list]

While stats aren't exactly skills, they're still important for a mage due to what they add. In part because of the derived stats, in part because of what they really do for a mage. So, lets go through them.

<font color=8B0000>Strength:</font color=8B0000>

This is your hitpoints, your carrying capacity and your damage with a melee weapon (if you have one).

Hitpoitns are calculated with this formula : (str / 2) + 50. Basically, what this means is that your strength score should always be even. If you have, say 93 strength, you'll have the same amount of hitpoints as if you had 92. Was of points that could be spent better really.

Carrying capacity is calculated with this formula : (str * 3.5) + 40 - 14 (base weight). While not the most important feature of strength for a mage, its still extremely useful for a pvm mage as you'll need to haul around some loot /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

And lastly, there's the damage bonus on melee weaponry, defined by (str * 0.3) (add 5% for above 100). Definently not the most important for a mage either, and in fact, many warriors skip out on this to up their stamina and mana levels as well.

So, the most important function of strength for a mage lies in hitpoints; you'll probably want to have at least 80 strength for this alone (80/2 + 50 = 40 + 50 = 90), unless you have items that supplement your hitpoints (eg, hitpoints through armor).

<font color=8B0000>Dexterity:</font color=8B0000>

This stat basically only determines 2 things in all of UO. How fast you heal and your base stamina level.

Which, of course, means that if you're a healer mage, you'll want to bump your dex to heal faster &lt;sorry, no exact numbers here, and with test center being non-existant&gt;.

And then there's stamina level which only really matters if you have a melee skill or archery (or, if you prefer, upping wrestling speed (Weapon speed of wrestle is 50). As always, use this calculator to determine just how much stamina you need to swing at a certain speed; don't waste points in dexterity by overcompensating too much though. Of course, you can also bumb your swing speed by adding stamina through armor.

There's one final thing that dex determines; and that's the damage of the necromancer spell "Strangle"; however, strangle damage is based on how much of a percentage your current stamina is compared to your max stamina, meaning, its actually far better to have a low base stamina to avoid taking lots of damage vs. strangle.

So basically, for all mages except tanks and healer mages, dexterity is a moot stat. Keep it at 15 so you have a bit to run on, and be able to push through people if you go to Felucca often. Other than that, its not worth points.

<font color=8B0000>Intelligence:</font color=8B0000>

The primary attribute for mages, and not for no reason at all, even if it is the stat that actually has the least effect; it determines your mana level and gives you a damage bonus on mage spells.

Basically, you determine your mana level by looking at your int; 1 intelligence = 1 mana point. Mana can be further boosted through armor, but intelligence can only be boosted through jewelry and artifacts. There's a difference, despite what some people may think.

Intelligence adds 1% spell damage increase for each 10 intelligence; this is intelligence, not mana, and therein lies the major difference (other than curses affecting stats rather than derived stats). Adding 48 mana (max, without artifacts) through armor doesn't mean a thing for spell damage increase, whereas adding 16 (max) intelligence on jewelry is guaranteed to give you at least 1% spell damage increase, and possible 2% if, for instance, your intelligence is 125 (125 (12%SDI) + 16 (1%SDI) = 141 (14%SDI)).

So, for mages, intelligence is pretty important, specifically if you rely 100% on your mana/spells for offense and defense; unless you're a tank or a healer mage, odds are you'll want to bump this to 125 and try the best you can to stack spell damage increase alongside it.

C

Chandalir

<center><font color=blue>Miscellaneous Discussions.</font color=blue></center>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>PvP vs PvM : The Dodging vs No-Dodging Discussion.</font color=00008B>[/list]
So, what is the difference, generally speaking, between pvp and pvm templates? Well, speaking generally, a strictly pvp template can easily go pvm, whereas a strictly pvm template cannot easily go pvp.

The difference, seen from a mage perspective, between the two generally lies in "dodging" (as above). For pvm, dodging generally isn't needed all that much, since you're never up close and personal with monsters, and as such, never have anything to dodge. PvP templates, however, need the dodging, or they'll be interupted everytime a bunny sneezes at them. Its virtually impossible to keep a warrior in pvp at range because they're just as quick (or quicker) and smart (or smarter) than you are. Don't even try it, you'll go bankrupt within a short amount of time from insurance fees. For pvm, the fastest monster out there is probably flesh renderers in Doom, and to be honest, pinging 60 ms, I have no trouble outrunning them and getting an invisibility off -- granted, for a slow connection, those things are hell on 6 legs, but they're the extremest monsters out there. There's no problems whatsoever outrunning normal monsters on a slow connection; and since they hit hard, there's usually no reason to be in their face.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Templates -- common templates for mages to give you ideas.</font color=00008B>[/list]
The BIG question.

TEMPLATES.

The most commonly asked question I see here in the Mage forum is 'Template advice'. Now this is a terribly difficult question to answer. Why? Because a mage almost always, in any game, becomes 'the character' that stands out. UO is no different, but that means there is ALOT of variety to what is possible, whats viable and what YOU the gamer want to do. Not to mention that mages have unparrelled versitility. So how to tackle this big topic? Slowly, very slowly. If you dont read this before posting your 'template advice' questions, you will A) get no help from me other than to look at this, in which case you're reading me now and could have probably skipped this. B) get shot. or C) helped by someone else.

Template's in this list are not completely crammed and allow for the 'big' decission's left to the player, with advice.
Skills are based at a minimum of GM.

So, what makes a mage? In short;

Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation

Resist is offered by default as it is endlessly rewarding to have, and vital in PvP today, besides very few specialist templates.

From here you devise what you want to become, some of the 'standard' templates, such as;

* The Tank Mage
* Focus Mage
* Scribe Mage
* Parry Mage (The AoS Roach)
* Necro Mage
* Heal Mage
* Nox Mage

<font color=8B0000>Tank Mage</font color=8B0000>

Weapon Skill
Anatomy or Tactics (ed note: or both as long as you have points)
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This template is very strong depending on how it is played, but has become the standard among most mage players. But becomes crammed with skill points and you may find yourself lacking mana. The most common skill to take points from to scroll is tactics, due to its single minded effect being only a damage increase. Anatomy, post AoS, deals almost the same amount of damage, and on top of that, has the ability to tell stamina levels of opponents, and, of course, has the unarmed defensive as well.

<font color=8B0000>Focus Mage</font color=8B0000>

Focus
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist
(Weapon Skill/Wrestling/Anatomy)

Another favourite among mages, adding massive mana regeneration, allowing for bigger mana dumps in pvp, more summons in pvm and stamina regeneration which is particularly helpful against Strangle in PVP. Keep in mind that it stacks with armor regenerations, so if you really want to see fast mana regeneration, do all of it! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Just be wary that at some point, "Lower Mana Cost" becomes better than "Mana Regeneration"; but then, if you can get both, go for it.

<font color=8B0000>Scribe</font color=8B0000>

Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This template is based almost purely on the 10% spell damage increase; the spells inscription helps aren't helped all that much, (less physical/magic resist loss on protection, less physical resist loss on magic reflect and more physical resist on reactive armor, as per the scribe forum FAQ). The best way to utilize this template is to stack as much damage increase as possible (max evaluate, max SDI on items, Hat of the Magi, etcetera).

<font color=8B0000>Parry Mage</font color=8B0000>

Parry
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

The current 'roach'. These little guys are terribly difficult to hit. Running round Felucca with very little worry of actually being hurt. Just to prove how nasty these guys can be, my anatomy/parry mage withstood walking away on foot from 2 tamers with wyrms and mares and managing to cast invisibility. These guys are, simply put, roaches.

They are best with wrestling or anatomy to be able to use pots aswell without disarming, making them even more the 'roach' of AoS.

<font color=8B0000>Necro Mage</font color=8B0000>

Necromancy
Spirit Speak
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

The most impossible of all templates to scroll effectively, as it will ALWAYS be weak in one area or another without the aid of the Staff of Magi (for dodging), or Midnight Bracers (for the +20 necromancy). Can be terribly effective in a team situation in Fel, and is one of the more fun templates to play both in Trammel and Felucca.

<font color=8B0000>Heal Mage</font color=8B0000>

Healing
Anatomy
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This is great PvM, while not the strong template it used to be. If used correctly it is very formidible. This is a fun template to play and probably the best template for the 'weekend' uo player as its terribly easy to raise all the skills into working condition (Resist is exempt from this statement).

<font color=8B0000>Nox Mage</font color=8B0000>

Poison
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist
(Fencing or Swords)

This template is fantastic PvM, Deadly Poison feilds make large groups of spawn a breeze. A note for this template only go as high as your magery+poisoning=200, if you can scroll magery take it from poisoning, its not worth the hassle with poison currently being the way it is to have GM poisoning. For PvP the weapon skill is an absolute requirement, poison alone will not help you PvP as previously mentioned. This template is not terribly strong PvP, but is useable.

<font color=8B0000>Other notes.</font color=8B0000>

First off, Resist's usefulness is debatable in one situation only, PvM, in PvM resist is a luxury, not a requirement. Drop it if you want something else in your template if all you do is PvM. If however you PvP, take it up, regardless, if you argue, you will loose.

Resist+PvP=REQUIREMENT.

However you CAN get away with atleast 85, but most prefer a minimum of 100.

When choosing your defense/offense you need to first decide wether you need disruption or not. If you do, do not go with anatomy. If you want the ability to drink potions, go with wrestling. If you want access to a range of special moves or extra damage, go with a weapon of sorts.

If you PvM purely you can opt to go without any defense (besides low defensive wrestle) if your connection allows. If your getting hit too much, pick up some Anatomy to buff out your defensive wrestle, while still saving on points.

Now, why dont all these templates have all the skills? Because a wise man once said 'to each his own'. These are the basis of what makes these mages called these things.

Common additions to any template not based around them are (points allowing);

Parry (As much as possible)
Chivalry (Namely for tanks or templates with high mana regeneration)
Inscription 100
Focus in 20's
Tracking 20.1
Hiding 100
Alchemy 100
Spirit Speak 100+

To scroll or not to scroll, that is ... not the question. Now days its a case of WHAT to scroll, not wether you should or not.

Magery is only every scrolled to 120 for 3 reasons; Mind Blast damage, Poison frequency in PvP, 8th Circle success. If you dont require any of this, the only one I truely believe to be remotely worth while is the poison frequency, but even at 120 you will have a hard time poisoning someone with a decent ammount of resist. 106 is the ammount needed for 100% success of all 7th level spells, 92 for 100% of 6th Level spells. I suggest from 105-110 for most templates.
Evaluate Intelligence is quite frankly, the skill you scroll first, it is the most important skill to scroll. This is your damage modifier, it is the heart of being a mage (I also believe it effects the difficulty of summons being dispelled?... seem to remember reading that somewhere (ed note: not really sure -- anyone have any info here? Share it!)).

Weapon skill/Wrestling, go as high as your bank account will allow, or do the spawns yourself.

Resist, also go as high as possible, this is both as your template will allow and like previously stated.

Meditation, its great to have it scrolled; use the calculator above to find the optimum int/meditation relationship. Some people will say 115 meditation scrolls are useless, but using them correctly with your int you will see a benefit.

This is after all the mage YOU will be playing, you should like and enjoy what you are playing, don't just go for what is the strongest at the time. And dont be afraid to experiment with the template and try out new things.
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>UOAssist -- a 3rd party utility.</font color=00008B>[/list]
What is UOAssist?

Well imagine all the control you would like from UO. Okay then imagine OSI supports this program. Subtract a little and there you have UOAssist. At $15 odd its a must buy for pretty much anyone playing UO. This is a one time fee and in my humble opinion, improved my UO life and play style tremendiously. UOAssist website.

General run down, Im going to cut to the chase with this an give the simpliest explainations possible:

<font color=8B0000>"Common tab"</font color=8B0000>

On the first tab of UOAssist the only thing worth going into for mage specifically is "Queue self/last target"; this has to be used with the UOAssist Last Target macro but allows you to 'queue' a target self or last target. Now this in short means, no waiting for the target cursor, allowing for quick delivering of spells in a frenzy of blood and guts with supreme accuracy and timing. If you have UOAssist and you dont use it and never have, play with this feature, its invalueable once mastered.

Worth noting is "Range check last target", which in theory I love, but in actual practice its buggy at best. It's inaccurate with its distancing on some (if not all spells) and only sometimes gives you the chance to retarget imediately (the reason I loved the idea in the first place), so the on-again off-again abilities and the inaccuracy doesn't help matters (keep in mind this is in my personal experience, others may find use in this).

<font color=8B0000>"Arm tab"</font color=8B0000>

This is a FANTASTIC ability of UOAssist, a pot chuggers dream, for the reason you'll find out later. This tab allows you to not only save what weapon and shield (if applicable) you are using, but the ability to save various combinations of weapons and shields. The use of this comes in later.

<font color=8B0000>"Dress tab"</font color=8B0000>

This is the close cousin to the "Arm tab", it allows you to save what your wearing, and ofcourse lots of alternates as with Arm While its use was ALOT more useful prior to the auto-loot feature brought in.

<font color=8B0000>"Keys tab"</font color=8B0000>

Here in Keys you can macro keys to "Arm" and re-"Dress", aswell as disarm and many others, which provides the usefullness to both arm and disarm. If your disarmed in combat, hit your macro when you're able to re-arm and up comes your weapon thats macro'ed to that key.

Also in keys you will find alot of useful (and some not so useful and slightly out-of-date) keys. The most useful I have found have been Arm#, Disarm, Dress, Self-Target, Last Target and Remove Target Queue. Play Macro #, Drink (pot type), Bandie Self, and Organize Bag #. And this is, quite simply the versitility that UO needs but lacks.

<font color=8B0000>"Macros tab" </font color=8B0000>

Wont go into alot of detail as im sticking purely to things useful to a mage, but this tab allows you to record your own macros as such. But as this is a UO Legal program they have had to restrict this feature quite dramatically, play with it if you want to know more.

<font color=8B0000>"Resources tab" </font color=8B0000>

This is a mage delight, this tab quite simply 'counts' your resources of any type, including 6 of your own, and a 'warning' level. Set this to warning level to, say, "20", and the title bar of UO Window(ed) highlights reagents whenever you get below this amount; set it to whichever level you're comfortable with.

<font color=8B0000>"SKills tab" </font color=8B0000>

No need to mention, but simply monitors your skill gain, and shows your characters skills in varios listings, eg, you can tell it to show your skills in order of "show real" being highest so it doesn't change around everytime you equip a skill modifier.

<font color=8B0000>"Display tab" </font color=8B0000>

Back to Mage goodies. This allows you to not only View your Health/Stamina/Mana in your title bar (as numbers or bars), but allows you to view your Gold, REAGENTS (mage, necro and tithing points), arrows, AND potions (only heal and cure sadly, but you can add your own from the 6 custimizable ones).

You can also run around as a chicken thanks to this tab, not very helpful but is classic (and lots of other monster types) (ed note: running around as a chicken (or anything) while you're dead actually shows the screen in color, but, as far as I know, disallows walking through doors).

<font color=8B0000>"Agents tab"</font color=8B0000>

Im only going to mention one of the options, which is the Orginzer Agent. I LOVE this thing. It makes throwing pots and regents into little bags no chore what so ever. You can setup your bag to take whatever you desire and smack a macro key (or use the right click context menu) and have everything in your pack move into the apropriate place.

<font color=8B0000>Final Note</font color=8B0000>

The only thing not mentioned here is possibly the best feature for the lazy or absent minded mage, and that is "Reveal Power Words" which shows up both in Common and Display (for what reason I am unsure).

It simply does this;
<pre>Kal Ort Por - Recall</pre>

C

Chandalir

<center><font color=blue>The Item Discussion.</font color=blue></center>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Artifacts (We All Want Them; Here's What To Look For).</font color=00008B>[/list]
I'm not going to write a guide on how to do Doom. If someone else wants to, and add in here, be my guest. I'm only going to write about which artifacts you, as a mage, will see any use of, and dream of getting one day.

Arcane Shield : Probably one of the top 3 best artifacts for a mage. Firstly, it adds to Faster Casting on top of being spell channeling. No other shield in the game does this. Second off, it adds 15% defense chance increase, which is always a good thing when you fight warriors.

Hat of the Magi : Super resists (54 combined), mana regeneration 4 (2 being maximum on normal items), intelligence bonus 8 (remember, each 10 int gives 1 spell damage increase), and spell damage increase 10% (same as inscription) makes for one solid hat. That it can be blessed is just a bonus.

Midnight Bracers : 10% spell damage increase which cannot normally be found on arms. This is, however, the only good thing about the bracers. They don't anything much besides that for a mage, unless you're a necro mage (+20 necromancy) and a bit of physical resist.

Staff of the Magi : As with the Arcane Shield, this baby adds 1 to your faster casting, is spell channeling, and on top of that, it gives you "free" skillpoints because its a mage weapon -0 (which means it uses your magery as melee in terms of hitting/dodging). Other than those, it doesn't offer anything much, especially seeing as it is a mage weapon which means you won't be able to use the special moves on it (whirlwind and paralyzing blow) without at least 70 or 90 mace fighting.

Ornament of the Magi : Basically only for the faster casting 2. It has some lower mana cost, some lower reagent cost, FCR (of course good as well, but not outstanding), and 15% energy resist. Everyone wants this, but the reason people want it is for the FC2. Other than the FC2 it isn't all that good.

Honorable mentions go to the Divine Countenance (basically a mini Hat of the Magi), Armor of Fortune (40% LRC), Shadow Dancer's leggings (60 resist), and the Inquisitor's Resolution (of course, it'd be nice if we all had a pair, but only 1 spawn per month). Voice of the Fallen King deserves a mention as well, since it has the same stamina regeneration as 30 focus, regenerates an extra half hitpoint per second, grants 8 strength that can then be used elsewhere, as well as having 45 resists. And, of course, the Legacy of the Dread Lord deserves special mention as well, as its probably the best two handed weapon a tank will be able to wield due to the FCR3 -- which frees up a ring to be purely FC1/SDI /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

Drool away at the artifacts.

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Armor (Non-Medable vs Medable, And How To Tell The Difference).</font color=00008B>[/list]
Armor now-a-days is required. No longer will you walk around Felucca in your newbified clothes looking for action, unless you're on siege or a thief looking for a powerscroll. Besides resists, which are fairly obvious, total resist isnt always the best way to decide wether or not its worth forking out a little extra. So you may want to look at the mods they have; those directly helping a mage are;

Lower Reagent Cost
Lower Mana Cost
Regeneration's (Mana and Hitpoint specifically) (ed note: might be a good idea to try to get 2-3 stamina regeneration too if you have no focus on your mage, especially if you're in Felucca a lot. It'll help you push through people, in being equal to 20-30 focus)
Add Stat/Pool bonuses (ed note: stats (str/dex/int) only come on jewelry, whereas armor spawns with derived stats (hitpoints/stamina/mana), which means, if you're looking for damage increase, you'll only get it from jewelry/artifacts)
Mage Armour

Lower Regent Cost is best for purely PvM activities where your likely to burn more reagents than you have. Basically how this works is how ever many percentage you have in LRC is your percentage chance to not use reagents for the spell you cast. This also has another usage, which is simply, emergancy, on the odd occasion you might find yourself without scrolls in your runebook and stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for the bus thats just not going to come. This can happen quite frequently if you PvP away from the moongates and find yourself looted of your precious reagents. Not to worry if you have a lrc piece of armour or jewelry just cast away; it may take a few goes and your off home or to the bank to restock and get back into it.

Lower Mana Cost isn't that helpful untill you build it up somewhat, for example 5% means that your sixth level spells will cost 19mana instead of 20. this is more useful in PvP if you happen to be able to build a decent resist suit with high LMC (5-8).

Regeneration is my personal favourite mod.

-Mana regen is terribly helpful for those long PvP sessions, ganks and duels, you're still going to dump your mana fairly quickly but atleast youll get a few more spells out than you would otherwise, and you'll be back into it alot quicker. This does stack with Meditation and Focus. If you would like to find out exactly what your regen rate is, check the Mana regen calculator previously mentioned.

-Hit point regeneration works very similar to mana regeneration property, in that it adds 0.1 hitpoint/second per one hit point regeneration you have, on top of the 0.1 hitpoint/second base regeneration everyone has. Also, of special things to note here is that the necromancer form, "Horrific Beast", adds an astounding "Hit Point Regeneration 20", but has some severe drawbacks as well; yes, Horrific Beast regenerates 2.1 hitpoints per second /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Stamina too, is fairly straigthforward. Everyone has an 0.1 base regeneration, and each "Stamina Regeneration" point you add on top of it adds another 0.1. Also, the skill focus adds another 1 stamina regeneration on top of everything else, so its possible to get 1.2 stamina/second back from having legendary focus. The necromancer form, Vampiric Embrace, adds to stamina regeneration as well as a pletora of other useful things, but I'm afraid I have no hard numbers on it. Besides, if you get low on stamina, its always best to just chug a total refresh potion.

Stat and Pool bonus's are just as they say, they increase your stats, ingenius... however building up your hitpoint and mana pools coupled with Blessing yourself frequently can make you a formidible opponent, and may mean the difference between dying and living, and killing or missing that final killshot. Also if your a mage weilding a weapon youll find that this is the easiest way to increase your swing speed with a fast weapon without having to invest stat points in dexterity, because swing speed is based on stamina, not dexterity, so its ideal to add stamina on armor.

Mage armour simply means that this armour is medable regardless of its obviously not medable nature. It might also be worth noting here that mage armor has a hidden property of its own -- it allows stealthers to use the same armor as mages, and do so with no hindrance.

So why do you need mage armor, or otherwise medable armor?

Medable armour is all things leather (not studded; its clearly marked as studded on the item information, eg "barbed studded leather gorget"). Your choices are rather limited in being a mage, with the need to meditate. But, however, with the advent of Age of Shadows and spiffy new item properties that some love and alot hate, we now have Mage armour, which basically makes the great new valorite tunic with all the mods and resists you were after a worthwhile buy.

You cant meditate in the following; Studded, Bone, Ring, Chain or Plate without it being mage armour.

I hear you asking why this is a big deal? Vets chuckle, newbies hide in shame. While not only can you not actively meditate in this armour your passive mana regen rate drops to a terrible 0.2. (no mods or focus included). So just because that Close Helm has 60 Resists 2Hit Point Regen, 2Mana Regen and 20%LRC doesnt mean it is good for you. (note: dont laugh i met a mage in doom wearing helm of insight, when i commented he said it was for 'more mana regen') (ed note: using the calculator above, try to tick the "Full Medable Armor" off, and you'll see its effect in raw numbers; its not pretty).
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Jewelry (And Faster Casting Discussion).</font color=00008B>[/list]
"Jewelry? What kindof sissy man do you think I am?" One that probably has some angst if your saying that. I say, how about going to felucca? Taking out some of the new found aggression and testing your new spiffy mage out. Well hold up there, Rings and Bracelets have alot of mods that armour do, infact all but the regen I believe (except for artifacts), reflect physical damage, and the stats are stats, not derived stats like on armor; but they also have alot of mods that are unavailable on your non-artifact armour. So you've probably already trialed out your LRC suit if you've got to the point of looking at Felucca, so you know about the LRC on rings and Bracelets, and possibly the LMC and obviously Night Sight.

Before going on to the big hitter of all it would be nice to mention the underdogs.

Resists, Resists on rings and Bracelets can help you buff out a few points here and there, generally not fantastic, but sometimes very helpful.

Hit Chance Increase (HCI) and Defense Chance Increase (DCI) , both fantastic, HCI however is mostly just usefull for a tank, yet DCI is usefull to every mage out there (Once again, use a calculator.).

And the stat pools again, but this time, keep in mind that adding to your intelligence can potentially add to your spell damage increase; every 10 points of intelligence adds 1% spell damage increase, which can be very useful in its own right, besides adding to mana!

Of course, spell damage increase is very useful as well. Adding 8% spell damage increase to your mage can mean a huge deal, despite it sounding like nothing -- for instance, it can mean the difference between interupting a bandage, and not interupting a bandage, potentially winning you battles against warriors. Spell damage increase is always good.

Skillpoints can be added on jewelry as well (+1 to +15), so if you're stretched for skillpoints it might be a good idea to find jewelry that enhances some of your skills; think of it like this -- whenever you add to any skill in your template from jewelry, you can free up those points and use them elsewhere.

And lastly, before moving on to the big thing, we have "Enhance Potions". What this property does is help out your potions by 5%-25%. This can be particularly useful on explosion potions on a mage with alchemy, in adding to the damage it does. It also helps out on a lot of the other potions, like strength/dex (20 + 50% = 30 str/dex potions; not shabby huh?) and heals (9-30 damage healed + 50% = 13-45 points healed). Only thing to be aware of is that "Enhance potions" seems to be somewhat flimsy regarding cure potions; it appears to not only be not working correctly, but, in fact, changing your greater cures into some useless orange goo. My own theory on this is that "Enhance potions" pushes cures into doing "100+%" effectiveness, which, for some reason, puts them back at sub 10% usefulness (like lower requirements 110% before publish 19 meant your item had a strength requirement of 250). Just be prepared to cure by spell if you're wearing enhance potions jewelry.

Which leads me to the one thing that has become completely required in Felucca; don't get me wrong, this 'helps' in Trammel, but its nowhere near as required as it is in Felucca. Well what the hell am I talking about?

Faster Cast and its little brother Fast Cast Recovery.

Seems fairly straight forward to most, but this basically means, that you cast and recover (time inbetween spells) faster. Wasn't so hard eh? But whats this mean to you? Simply put if your opponent is casting at FC2/FCR3 (the old default) and you dont match this speed, you have very little chance of winning, as this effectively means getting off double the spells in the same time frame.

Keep in mind the highest you'll find as monster loot is FC1/FCR3, which is fairly rare to say the least. A good 1/2 piece can set you back a fortune, a good 1/3 ring can set you back in time, and an arti will make you god for a day.
Below is a table and formula for bringing out the most of your FC/FCR choices.

Special thanks go out to krrios for testing and finding the formulas (also, worth notice that he did the same for necromancers, chivalry, and did a huge test on swing speed and stamina loss for warriors, so, in short, worship this guy!). This is what he wrote in his post:

"Inspired when noticing paladin spell recovery delay is not based on spell level, I decided to look at standard spells again. Only this time, however, using a more accurate method for checking delays. Also, I was able to distinctly seperate cast delays and recovery delays.

After taking these more detailed samples, it seems the algorithms must be changed--to something much more simple.
<pre>Cast Delay = (3 + Circle - FC) / 4</pre>
<pre>Recovery Delay = (6 - FCR) / 4</pre>
Like paladin spells, recovery delay is not based on spell circle.. it's purely a factor of your FCR.

To note, the net change of from this algorithm and the one previously suggested is very small. With this, your total (cast + recovery) delay will only be about 1-2 tenths of a second faster than what was suggested in the first post. However, it does significantly change how that time is split into the two parts.

Again, I provide tables to visualize the algorithm: note, as quoted from a developer, a minimum of 0.25 has been applied to the casting delay
<pre>
-3FC -2FC -1FC 0FC 1FC 2FC 3FC 4FC

First 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.25
Second 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25
Third 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50
Fourth 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75
Fifth 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00
Sixth 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25
Seventh 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50
Eighth 3.50 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75
</pre>
<pre>
0FCR 1FCR 2FCR 3FCR 4FCR 5FCR 6FCR 7FCR 8FCR 9FCR
Recovery Delay 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00</pre>
-edit- Also, about fifth circle summon spells. They use the same recovery delays as other spells. The cast delay, however, has an extra 7 seconds tacked on, not the 6 suggested by guide.uo.com. Each FC item reduces the time by 1.25 seconds--5 times faster than normal. The algorithm is:
<pre>Cast Delay = (3 + Circle + 28 - (FC * 5)) / 4</pre>
Or simplified,
<pre>Cast Delay = (36 - (FC * 5)) / 4</pre>
And the table:
<pre>
-3FC -2FC -1FC 0FC 1FC 2FC 3FC 4FC
Delay 12.75 11.50 10.25 9.00 7.75 6.50 5.25 4.00"
</pre>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Weapons (Including Mage Weaponry When To Use And Not).</font color=00008B>[/list]
You're probably wondering why this section is in the mage forum FAQ of all places. Afterall, we're mages, right? Not some weapon swing mindless bafoon? We don't rely on items to do our killing but pure skill, right (excuse me a moment, I'm gonna go laugh at myself for writing this; when was this ever true?)? Well, fine, if you feel like that, go away. You don't want to know about weapons. You don't want to know why weapons add stuff to your template. You don't care, you're fine with being a supar mage using nothing but your newbie clothes. No? Alrighty then, read on! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

First off, when Age of Shadows came around, mages got a great boon. It came in the shape of a magic item property called "spell channeling". It allows us mages to cast spells with a weapon in our hand (even if we only swing inbetween spells), something we've never been able to do before short of "precasting" (cast a spell, hold the cursor, arm your weapon, swing, and target spell; that's precasting, and that's all I'm saying about it). Of course, we're not as spoiled as the paladins and necromancers who can both cast spells with any weapon in their hand, so we need those spell channelers. Now, I'm going to say something about spell channelers that many people don't like hearing, and just won't and can't understand. Make no mistake, this is the truth about spell channelers; like it, hate it, flame me, I don't care, its the truth. Spell channeling items always spawn with "Faster Casting -1" attached to it. Now I hear the cry-outs; "But I have a spell channeler with no penalty!". So do I. But, I understand why they have no penalty. They have no penalty because they have 2 properties; one being spell channeling, and another being "Faster Casting 1"; essentially, to make this understandable, think of your spellchannelers with no penalty looking like this;
<pre>Spell Channeling
Faster Casting -1
Faster Casting 1</pre>
Its moot writing (-1) + 1, cause its 0. Thus, the end result is;
<pre>Spell Channeling</pre>
There, I said it, the cat's out of the bag. Feel free to flame me for it, but its pure and simple fact. If it wasn't a fact, I'd be owning a Spell Channeling/+1 Faster Casting cleaver by now. You'd hate me even more for that weapon, than you will for the truth. The end.

Now, phew, all that out of the way; what do you look for in a weapon as a mage?

Well, obviously, you're going to want to tie up 2 (of 5) properties on Spell Channeling/Faster Casting 1, so that leaves 3 (unless you get an incredible lucky roll on luck, and get a 6th property). So what 3 do you look for?

Resists; yes, these things come on weapons too. Can save you a pretty penny getting 1-45 points of resist on a weapon you'll always have equipped. Although, not exactly the best use of the properties, its certainly nothing to scoff at.

Defense/hit chance, just as with jewelry, is a great addition to any weapon. Again, use this calculator to see why.

Swing speed increase, can be a good thing on a weapon like this, because it allows you to reach another plateu in hitting speed (whoever wrote this calculator, step up and get credit!). Just requires that you optimize your dexterity to use it properly; if you have one of these weapons, make the most of it.

Slayers, luck, durability, lower requirements, leeches -- these are all useless for a channeling weapon, unless, of course, you're a tank. Leeches are based on how much damage you do. With no anatomy/tactics, you'll do pitiful damage. Don't bother with it. Hit &lt;type&gt; area is fairly useless, and in some situation outright dangerous as well, so it might actually lower the price of a weapon to have this on it. It hits an area with an effect which can flag you to multiple opponents, meaning they can kill you cause you went agressor on them; this also includes getting spell casting monsters to cast on you! Be warned about this property.

Now, arguably the two best types of modifiers remain;

Hit spell effect. Does exactly what the name says; a certain percentage of the time, it launches a spell on your target. Now, many people have gotten this crazy idea that "hit lightning" is god of all hitters. I disagree. A lot /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Yes, it does the most damage of the 4 types, but like harm, it hits instantly. What's the point of that? No, look for magic arrow and fireballs instead; they both hit with a slight delay, which causes interuption for another mage. That's free interuptions; is 2-3 more damage from lightning realy worth a damn compared to free interuptions? Nah.

And lastly, hit lower attack and hit lower defense. Stack these with hit chance increase and defense chance increase, and you're golden. Hit lower defense basically allows you to hit your opponent more often, which is awsome for executing special moves. Hit lower attack gives you a higher chance of dodging hits, so its basically free points in a melee skill for 8 seconds. These two properties are highly underestimated, but don't ignore them. If you run into an optimized warrior with a 30% swing speed weapon, hit lower defense, swinging once per half second, you're in for an extremely tough fight. He'll be hitting you a bunch more than normal, and he'll be swinging twice a second. Scary situation, right?

If you must have elemental damage on a weapon, pick the ones you can't do yourself as a mage -- namely physical (well, you can, but its earthquake an 8th circle spell) and poison (poison spells are not primarily used for damage). The others are, of course, fine, but you'll probably be better off with a 100% physical weapon due to the way many opposing mages set up their armor (max elemental damage with magic resist covering their physical, so 40-44 physical).

So, that was the properties; now, what weapons do you look for? Well, simply put, any one hander will do. Of course, since you have the melee skill for special moves, you'll want weaponry that has special moves you like. Personally, I just adore the cleaver (bleed and infectous strike), so I have a couple of those (with no good properties); I'm still looking for a butcher knife as well (infectous strike and disarm), but my skinning knife (disarm and shadow strike) serves me well so far. But cleavers suck, you say. Yes, they do low damage, but all weapons do. Besides, you didn't pick up a melee skill for damage, you did it for special hits. I often see mages toting around a katana on a no tactics/no anatomy template -- I just have to ask why? Double strike so you can deal 2*3 damage instead of 1*4? Armor ignore so you can do 9 damage instead of 4? Pick a weapon with useful special moves; this means, unless you're a tank, pick special moves that won't depend on damage you deal in the first place. Disarm, bleed, infectous strike, paralyzing hits, mortal and concussions are all good. Armor ignore and double strike are not.

Now for the last bit -- the mage weapon. Why would anyone use it? Well, for one, it saves you skillpoints. Lots of skillpoints. Most notably being the Staff of the Magi, being a "Mage Weapon -0". This means it uses your magery skill as a melee skill, unmodified. Yes, this means you can get by with having no dodging whatsoever! Nifty isn't it? Of course, most of us don't have access to a mass of staves of the magi. However, mage weapons can be used without being that particular one; just be forewarned -- if you attempt to build a template around this, its going to take time. Lots of time. Mostly cause you need particular jewelry. You see, if you find jewelry with FC/FCR and magery, you suddenly diminish the -20 to -29 magery hit you take on using a mage weapon. So, lets say you have a -26 mage weapon, and jewelry with +17 combined magery, you suddenly only take a -9 magery hit for using it. Which means, if you're a legendary mage, you have 111 melee skill. That's pretty danged good, cause it free's up a skill completely! You don't need dodging with a mage weapon, cause your magery does it for you. Of course, you won't have special moves (need weapon skills for it), but you can make up for it by adding another skill to your template.

It might be a good idea to lug around a mage weapon at any rate, specially in pvm if you don't have a melee skill already. Its excellent for ridding small critters like a rat or a slime or whichever, even if you don't have +magery jewelry. So carry one, and use it to smack the small annoying critters on the head, just to save mana/reagents. So all in all, mage weapons aren't as bad as people might think; they just require a lot of maintenence.

And on a special note -- consider using wands too. They're mage weapons, so won't leave you crippled in dodging chances, and their spell effects, which are triggered manually, can be really handy. For instance, greater heal wands are very useful; as can a lightning wand be for chasing down runners. Despite the wands having -1 faster casting, that doesn't mean the effect on them does, so you'll be "casting" the spell effects at full speed. If you have a fisherman, they're surely worth carrying around /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Shields.</font color=00008B>[/list]
Why is Shields a subject? With the increasing number of parry mages cropping up it does deserve a mention. Even without parry its a good idea to always have one of these equipt almost all the time, just for the mods and extra resistance's these add. The exception to this rule is if you need to chug pots or if you're wanting a damage boost of a big grunty 2 handed weapon.

In this case what should you be after? Arcane Shield? Well probably, but if you cant afford nor afford the patience to do doom to acquire one of these things you might want to look at high DCI. I always go for high DCI over high HCI, but thats merely personal preferance, but both are very handy.

Parry is the main reason to run with a shield equipped. At GM parry you have 30% Chance to BLOCK an attack, and at Legendary 36% (ed note: parryskill*0.3). This is 'stackable' as such with your weapon skill. However if you have parry without a shield equipt its effectiveness drops to half, which while nothing to sneeze at it's not the reason you invested the skillpoints in parry now is it?

D

drgn

Thanks chandalir, yeah i did get kinda headache writing the bits i crammed in there, thnx for modding n' making it almost ledgible.

another calc for you, that might or might not work here is this, which ive found mostly usefull on my pally and necro-warrior but still occasionally find it helpful to calculate my tanks swing speed and damage and well everything in general (also more so supports the anat over tactics debate which you tote every so often /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif)

[ed]: shall do some work on the shields, weapons, spell damage and i have a lil idea about the templates which ill mess with at some stage when i get home from work.

C

Chandalir

I just did weaponry just now actually; so read it through (I'll put it in any second now) and tell me what ya think.

And that calculator, I *think* is spread out around the FAQ too (I know its in my last bit; reminds me, gotta add something to it).

Shields would be good (although, not much to say about them after my spell channeling rant in the weapons section); spell damage would definently be a huge plus to add somewhere in there. Templates are always helpful, so I look forward to seeing what you and Kalibek come up with /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif (hey, I wrote them last time, and they're a pain to do).

Anyway, just wanted to warn you not to do weaponry (unless you have something to add to it, as always) cause its already "done" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks again for all your help!

D

drgn

I don't MIND you doing weaponary, i mean i guess ill let you /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif ... heak just one less thing to babble on about and hope people understand. I've been getting alot of quesitons about UOAssist lately, I figured i'd write up a little 'mage orientated' FAQ for it , but not too sure if you want it here? ive already gotten it written up if anyone wants it up.

for now, the shields bit's done, for your formatting (smashing into place) and aproval.

-Shields

Why is Shields a subject? With the increasing number of parry mages cropping up it does deserve a mention. Even without parry its a good idea to always have one of these equipt almost all the time, just for the mods and extra resistance's these add. The exception to this rule is if you need to chug pots or if you're wanting a damage boost of a big grunty 2 Handed weapon.

in this case what should you be after? Arcane Shield? well probably, but if you cant afford nor afford the patience to do doom to acquire one of these things you might want to look at high DCI. I always go for high DCI over high HCI, but thats merely personal preferance, but both are very handy.

Parry is the main reason to run with a shield equipt. At GM parry you have 30% Chance to BLOCK an attack, and at Legendary 36%. This is 'stackable' as such with your weapon skill. However if you have parry without a shield equipt its effectiveness drops to half, which while nothing to sneeze at it's not the reason you invested the skillpoints in parry now is it?

As parry is checked after your weapon skill, it is worth noting while on the subject is that when gaining parry it is best to have a weapon equipt that you have no skill with (UBWS and Mage weapons are a nono of course). &lt;if thats been put in parry gaining just remove it, i cant remember and im trying to keep thoughts moving /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.&gt;

[edit after reading weapons]
well done on the weapon section, articulated it much better than could have,(agree completely on the marrow/fireball versus harm/lightning).
i gave a mate my sc butcher knife with 30% lightning /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.

A good note, the wands of GHeal are useful on siege and somewhat used like Pots on production by some people, and so are the hit spell's due to the cheap and expendable nature.

C

Chandalir

Thanks a bunch! Its really helped /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I added the shield bit to the item discussion, and shoved the note with not holding a weapon up where the skillgains are. I thought it was appropriate that way, and I hadn't noted it before.

UOA guide might actually be a good thing to have as well; nothing much, but just something to say what helps when and how and such. Brief stuff /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I'll probably go on and write a semi spell guide next, eg, including which spells have delays, how much mana each circle costs, what element of damage each spell does, and which spells are checked vs resist, and which vs elemental resists. Nothing fancy, just the necessarry /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Just warnin' ya if you plan on doing any of that, lol.

Anyway, good job, this is definently getting somewhere /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

D

Dareth

I've really enjoyed the thread. My only suggestion is to be careful about opinion vs fact. Strive to give information in which readers can form their own opinion rather than stating your own.

As an example, when your talking about weapon effects you came down pretty solid on fireball vs lightning. Now, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you might have just wanted to list the pro and cons to each type and how that effects a mage. After all, there must be some valid reasons for taking the one over the other if so many people like it (stacked damage for healing interupts perhaps).

For one thing, using that kind of format is a bit easier to add to later on. If a new advantage is found for an effect you can just add it to the list.

I really hesitate to say anything, you never know how offended someone might get - when no offense is intended.

Oh, some good information can be had at uopowergamers.com For one thing, the chart they show for med rates isn't the same as given above. I have no idea whose is more recent or accurate. But I do have a good deal of respect for the powergamers (more so for what they used to be than what they have dropped to) and I'd suggest looking at what they have say as sort of a check.

Just something to think about. Maybe discard what I've said, maybe not. Either way, take care and good luck.

D

drgn

My UO guide is actually somewhat long, ill rip it apart and try to make it nice and quick for the mage FAQ, just had a few buddies (no uoassist *gasp*) breathing down my neck to explain why its -ohsoomgooosnesses- good, so figured it would work here aswell as it benefits mages the most imho (i barely utilize it on my pally). I started off thinking it would be a quick small thing , turned out longer than shields.

Good plan , I hated the idea of looking at spell damage amounts, the sepll resistances should be fairly easy though /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.

just thought of a suggestion for the weapons discussion , in particular for what to look for, which is 100% physical or poison, as they are the two resistances a mage cant hit effectively without a weapon or necro, i opt of physical personally as most people have high poison regardless of wether its 'required' or not.

Im attacking templates as best i can at the moment, wont be the traditional look at them but we'll see how goes /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Chandalir

Since we're looking at it from a mage perspective, hit harm/lightning isn't nearly as good as hit fireball/magic arrow. As the post says, they're better for interuption.

Unfortunally, "stacking damage" doesn't apply to bandage interuption. It must come as one source of damage, so 10 + 20 damage (say a hit with a hit lightning katana for instance) just does 30 combined damage, but no interuption on bandages cause its two sources. So, wether it looks like opinion or not, its simple deduction which is better for a mage /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

And, as much as I know some people swear by UOPowergamers for whichever need they might have, their stuff is as, or even more so, outdated than the guides on the UO.stratics.com main page. That's saying quite a bit as those guides were often written 4+ years ago. And I hate to say it, but the mana regeneration UOPG figured out was wrong from the minute it was posted. They never accounted for the bonus meditation receives at GM, and they never bothered updating it when the whole mana regeneration got changed in publish 18. Basically, if you ask me, UOPG became out of date the day powerhour disappeared; the forums, yes, are okay (at times), but the main site lacks updates like mad.

And don't worry about offending anyone, least of all me. I can take care of myself /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif So if you have something particular you want added, changed, flamed (/php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif) bring it on. I rather have it all dealth with now than after the FAQ is proclaimed done.

C

Chandalir

<center><font color=blue>The Spell Discussion.</font color=blue></center>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>What Spells Do What Type Of Damage, And What's To Note?</font color=00008B>[/list]
Now, this won't be lengthy at all; if you want a more indepth guide, read the http://guide.UO.com/magic site /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif It's just a brief rundown of what spells do what type of damage, and, if there's anything special to note about it; simple, short, and precise /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif Also, a quicky rundown of how much mana each circle of spell require (all spells in the same circle require the same amount of mana).

* <font color=2F4F4F>Physical based spells</font color=2F4F4F>

Earthquake (8th circle, area of effect spell that deals damage all around you; needs line of sight though).

* <font color=red>Fire based spells</font color=red>

Magic arrow (1st circle, has a slight delay in damage meaning you can't chain magic arrow),
Magic Trap (2nd cirlce, most used on pouches to avoid being paralyzed; have been grossly reduced in effectiness by dealing immense amounts of damage),
Fireball (3rd circle, again, a slight delay in damage meaning you can't chain fireball at high FC),
Explosion (6th circle, has an approximately 3 second delay on damage after targetting, making it ideal for combinations of spells),
Flamestrike (7th circle) and
Meteor Swarm (7th circle; hits multiple targets, so its awsome for ridding the world of slimes, or similar).

* <font color=blue>Cold based spells</font color=blue>

Harm (2nd circle, is based on range, meaning, the closer you are to your target, the more damage it does) and
Mindblast (5th circle, has a delay of approximately 1.5 seconds, again, making it ideal for combinations of spells).

* <font color=green>Poison based spells</font color=green>

Poison (3rd circle spell, does damage over time; can be adjusted by the poisoning skill level wise) and
Poison Field (5th circle spell, a field that works exactly like poison spell)

* <font color=purple>Energy based spells</font color=purple>

Lightning bolt (4th circle, instant damage when targetted making it excellent for interuptions),
Energy bolt (6th circle) and
Chain Lightning (7th circle; very similar to Meteor Swarm, but deals energy damage instead).

<font color=8B0000>Other spells to note:</font color=8B0000>

Curse (4th circle spell, sets the maximum elemental resists of target in pvp to 60 -- meaning, he'll never have higher than 60 resist in fire, cold, poison and energy).

<font color=8B0000>Mana cost based on circle of spells.</font color=8B0000>
<pre>1st Circle : 4 mana
2nd Circle : 6 mana
3rd Circle : 9 mana
4th Circle : 11 mana
5th Circle : 14 mana
6th Circle : 20 mana
7th Circle : 40 mana
8th Circle : 50 mana</pre>
<ul>[*]<font color=00008B>Summons And What Type of Damage They Do, And Their AI.</font color=00008B>[/list]
Generally speaking, summons have 2 types of AI's. One of them being caster oriented (if you've ever fought a ratman archer, you'll know what this entails) that runs around, avoiding melee and trying to bring their targets down with purely spellcasting, and the other being melee oriented where they go toe-to-toe with their foes and cast if they have the ability to do so. And then there's bladespirits and energy vortex' which have their own, somewhat unique AI in that they attack anything that moves close to them (if they're free to attack something, eg, not already engaged in combat).

So, just a quicky rundown of how each summon behaves, and what type of melee damage they each have; keep in mind that all characters are allowed 5 control slots only, and a horse takes up one of them if you're riding one.

* <font color=purple>Air Elemental</font color=purple>

Has the caster AI, which means it'll stay out of harms way. Unfortunally, it only has 70 in each of magery and evaluate intelligence, making it a rather poor caster, but its a great backup for a tank, such as an earth elemental. It deals half physical and half energy damage if it manages to get into melee range. Air elementals require 2 control slots.

* <font color=2F4F4F>Earth Elemental</font color=2F4F4F>

Purely melee, and by far one of the better summons. It'll get into the face of every adversary out there, and deals 100% physical damage, which, of course, is a great addition to a mages rather limited repetiore. Earth elementals require 2 control slots, and a pair of them are great vs almost anything with their very high resists and 180 hitpoints. They're also very hard to dispel.

* <font color=red>Fire Elemental</font color=red>

A melee AI caster, meaning it gets in the face of foes and casts. Is a very solid tank, and with its 90 magery/eval, a very solid caster as well. Unfortunally lacks the dispel resistance of earth elementals which makes their use rather limited vs casters, but they're still very good vs undead due to the 100% fire damage they do. Unfortunally, fire elementals take up 4 control slots, so no matter what you do, you can only have 1.

* <font color=blue>Water Elemental</font color=blue>

Unfortunally for the water elemental, it has the caster AI. Unfortunally, because this elemental would be better, much better, with the melee'ist AI. It'll avoid getting into close combat with anything, which is a shame because it deals 100% cold damage, and would've been a nice support to mindblast/harm. Another downside is that they require 3 control slots /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif All round, the least useful of the summons by far.

* <font color=green>Summon Deamon</font color=green>

The king of all summons? Quite so. Summoned deamons are just plain awsome, dealing 100% poison damage, being a melee AI, packing a heavy punch both melee wise and spell wise makes a deamon a very very trusty companion. So why doesn't everyone use them? Cause, due to their great power, they require 5 control slots. So, to use them, you have to be on foot. If you can manage being on foot, consider one of these as your companion, despite summoning them lowering your karma. Almost no matter what you attempt to kill, you'll make up for the karma loss from the kills of a single deamon.

* <font color=purple>Energy Vortex</font color=purple>

Not much to say about this one; its AI is described above (attacks whichever comes in range), but there are a few things worth noting; it does 100% energy damage (yes, this means that everyone you see casting EVs on impalers are wasting their time and mana), it has 120 wrestle (meaning, it'll hit often and hard) and only takes 1 control slot. Again, a very worthwhile summon, despite not having any direct control over them other than placement.

* <font color=2F4F4F>Blade Spirits</font color=2F4F4F>

Poor mans energy vortex basically /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Its only a 5th level summon, which means 2 things; it takes far less mana to summon, but it takes far longer to summon it as well. Its very much like the energy vortex in that it has the same AI, and also only requires one control slot. However, the damage it deals is spread out to 60% physical, 20% poison and 20% energy, meaning, its poorer vs creatures that only have one low resistance. It also only has 90 wrestle, so will not hit its targets nearly as often.

That's the short rundown on summons -- if you want to know the precise stats and what resists these summons may have, you should check in on http://uo.stratics.com/hunters for information.

D

drgn

Yep.... It was as annoying and difficult as you had mentioned, with scrolling skills it was rather difficult to give a good way saying 'this here , that there', hopefully this is the comfortable medium. Have a look over and let me know what you think.

.... sorry but making it look pretty is your department /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.

The BIG question.

TEMPLATES.

The most commonly asked question I See here in the Mage forum is 'Template advice'. Now this is a terribly difficult question to answer. Why? Because a mage almost always, in any game, becomes 'the character' that stands out, uo is no different, but that means there is ALOT of variety to what is possible, whats viable and what YOU the gamer want to do. Not to mention that mages have unparrelled versitility. So how to tackle this big topic? Slowly, very slowly. If you dont read this before posting your 'template advice' questions, you will A) get no help from me other than to look at this, in which case you're reading me now and could have probably skipped this. B) get shot. or C) helped by someone else.

Template's in this list are not completely crammed and allow for the 'big' decission's left to the player, with advice. Skills are based at a minimum of GM.

What makes a mage?

in short;

Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation

Resist is offered by default as it is endlessly rewarding to have, and vital in PvP today, besides very few specialist templates.

from here you devise what you want to become, some of the 'standard' temp's.

The Tank Mage
Focus Mage
Scribe Mage
Parry Mage (The AoS Roach)
Necro Mage
Heal Mage
Nox Mage

[Tank Mage]

Weapon Skill
Anatomy or Tactics
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This template is very strong depending on how it is played, but has become the standard among most mage players. But becomes crammed with skill points and you may find yourself lacking mana.

[Focus Mage]

Focus
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

Another favourite among mages, adding massive mana regeneration, allowing for bigger mana dumps in pvp, more summons in pvm and stamina regeneration which is particularly helpful against Strangle in PVP.

[Scribe]

Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This template is based almost purely on the 10% Spell Damage increase and a bonus to Protection (virtually useless) and reduced negative effects to Magic Reflect and Reactive armour &lt;anyone have the extact number to throw here?&gt;

[Parry Mage]

Parry
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

The current 'roach', these little guys are terribly difficult to hit. Running round felucca with very little worry of actually being hurt. Just to proove how nasty these guys can be, my Anat/Parry mage withstood walking away on foot from 2 tamers with wyrms and mares and managing to invis. These guys are, simply, roaches.
They are best with wrestling or anatomy to be able to use pots aswell without disarming, making them even more the 'roach' of AoS.

[Necro Mage]

Necromancy
Spirit Speak
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

The most impossible of all templates to scroll effectively, will ALWAYS be weak in one area or another without the aid of the staff of magi, or midnight bracers. Can be terribly effective in a team situation in Fel, and is one of the more fun templates to play both in Trammel and Felucca.

[Heal Mage]

Healing
Anatomy
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist

This is great PvM, while not the strong template it used to be, if used correctly it is very formidible. This is a fun template to play and probably the best template for the 'weekend' uo player as its terribly easy to raise all the skills into working condition (Resist is exempt from this statement).

[Nox Mage]

Poison
Magery
Evaluate Intelligence
Meditation
Resist
(Fencing or Swords)

This template is fantastic PvM, Deadly Poison feilds make large groups of spawn a breeze. A note for this template only go as high as your magery+poisoning=200, if you can scroll magery take it from poisoning, its not worth the hassle with poison currently being the way it is to have GM poisoning. For PvP the weapon skill is an absolute requirement, poison alone will not help you PvP as previously mentioned. This template is not terribly strong PvP, but is useable.

First off, Resist's usefulness is debatable in one situation only, PvM, in PvM resist is a luxury, not a requirement. Drop it if you want something else in your template if all you do is PvM. If however you PvP, take it up, regardless, if you argue, you will loose. Resist+PvP=REQUIREMENT. However you CAN get away with atleast 85, but most prefer a minimum of 100.

When choosing your defense/offense you need to first decide wether you need disruption or not, if you do, do not go with anatomy. If you want the ability to drink potions, go with wrestling. If you want access to a range of special moves or extra damage, go with a weapon of sorts.

If you PvM purely you can opt to go without any defense (besides low defensive wrestle) if your connection allows, if your getting hit too much, pick up some Anatomy to buff out your defensive wrestle, while still saving on points.

Now, why dont all these templates have all the skills? Because a wise man once said 'to each his own'. These are the basis of what makes these mages called these things.

Common additions to any template not based around them are (points allowing);

Parry (As much as possible)
Chivalry (Namely for tanks or templates with high mana regeneration)
Inscription 100
Focus in 20's
Tracking 20.1
Hiding 100
Alchemy 100
Spirit Speak 100+

To scroll or not to scroll, that is ... not the question. Now days its a case of WHAT to scroll, not wether you should or not.

Magery is only every scrolled to 120 for 3 reasons; Mind Blast damage, Poison frequency in PvP, 8th Circle success. If you dont require any of this, the only one I truely believe to be remotely worth while is the poison frequency, but even at 120 you will have a hard time poisoning someone with a decent ammount of resist. 106 is the ammount needed for 100% success of all 7th level spells, 92 for 100% of 6th Level spells. I suggest from 105-110 for most templates.

Evaluate Intelligence is quite frankly, the skill you scroll first, it is the most important skill to scroll. This is your damage modifier, it is the heart of being a mage. &lt;I also believe it effects the difficulty of summons being dispelled?... seem to remember reading that somewhere&gt;

Weapon Skill/Wrestling, go as high as your bank account will allow, or do the spawns yourself.

Resist, also go as high as possible, this is both as your template will allow and like previously stated.

Meditation, its great to have it scrolled, but only go up in 10's (+10 and +20 scrolls only).

This is after all the mage YOU will be playing, you should like and enjoy what you are playing, don't just go for what is the strongest at the time. And dont be afraid to experiment with the template and try out new things.

-----

UO Assist (cram this in somewhere if you want, felt it should be put in). - this became somewhat of a tagent /php-bin/shared/images/icons/blush.gif

What is UOAssist?
Well imagine all the control you would like from UO. Okay then imagine OSI supports this program. Subtract a little and there you have UOAssist. At $15 odd its a must buy for pretty much anyone playing UO, this is a one time fee and imho improoved my uo life and play style tremendiously. UOAssist

General run down
Okay im going to cut to the chase with this an give the simpliest explainations possible

"Common"
On the first tab of UOAssist the only thing worth going into for mage specifically is "Queue self/last target", this has to be used with the UOAssist Last Target macro but allows you to 'queue' a ST or LT.
Now this in short means, no waiting for the target cursor, allowing for quick delivering of spells in a frenzy of blood and guts with supreme accuracy and timing. If you have UOAssist and you dont use it and never have, play with this feature, its invalueable once mastered.

Worth noting is Range check last target, which in theory I love, but in actual practice its buggy at best. It's inaccurate with its distancing on some (if not all spells) and only sometimes gives you the chance to retarget imediately (the reason I loved the idea in the first place), so the on-again off-again abilities and the inaccuracy does'nt help matters (keep in mind this is in my personal experience, others may find use in this).

"Arm"
This is a FANTASTIC ability of UOAssist, a pot chuggers dream, for the reason you'll find out later. This tab allows you to not only save what weapon and shield (if applicable) you are using, but the ability to save various combinations of weapons and shields. The use of this comes in later

"Dress"
This is the close cousin to Arm, it allows you to save what your wearing, and ofcourse lots of alternates as with Arm While its use was ALOT more useful prior to the auto-loot feature brought in.

"Keys"
Here in Keys you can macro keys to "Arm" and re-"Dress", aswell as disarm and many others, which provides the usefullness to both arm and disarm. If your disarmed in combat, hit your macro when you're able to re-arm and up comes your weapon thats macro'ed to that key.
Also in keys you will find alot of useful (and some not so useful and slightly out-of-date) keys. The most useful I have found have been Arm#, Disarm, Dress, Self-Target, Last Target and Remove Target Queue. Play Macro #, Drink (pot type), Bandie Self, and Organize Bag #. And this is, quite simply the versitility that UO needs but lacks.

"Macros"
wont go into alot of detail as im sticking purely to things useful to a mage, but this tab allows you to record your own macros as such. but as this is a UO Legal program they have had to restrict this feature quite dramatically, play with it if you want to know more.

"Resources"
This is a mage delight, this tab quite simply 'counts' your resources of any type, including 2 of your own, and a 'warning' level.

"SKills"
No need to mention, but simply monitors your skill gain.

"Display"
Back to Mage goodies, This allows you to not only View your Health/Stamina/Mana in your title bar (as numbers or bars), but allows you to view your Gold, REGENTS (mage and necro), tithe, arrows, AND potions (only heal and cure sadly, but you can add your own /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif).
You can also run around as a chicken thanks to this tab, not very helpful but is classic (and lots of other monster types).

"Agents"
Im only going to mention one of the options, which is the Orginzer Agent. I LOVE this thing, it makes throwing pots and regents into little bags no chore what so ever. You can setup your bag to take whatever you desire and smack a macro key (or use the right click context menu) and have everything in your pack move into the apropriate place.

Final Note
The only thing not mentioned here is possibly the best feature for the lazy or absent minded mage, and that is "Reveal Power Words" which shows up both in Common and Display (for what reason I am unsure).

It simply does this;

Kal Ort Por - Recall

[ed]: silly formatting annoyance cleared up

C

Chandalir

<blockquote><hr>

[ed]: silly formatting annoyance cleared up

<hr></blockquote>
SO glad you did that /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Copying directly from notepad with word wrapping turned on causes some kinda weirdness in the formatting in posts; its annoying at best to clear up if you don't have it saved on harddrive.

I'll get right on adding it somewhere (decided to make the pvp vs pvm thingie into a misc discussion instead).

Thanks again; anything else we need anymore? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

D

drgn

yeah it is pretty weird, it doesnt do it all the time, but on the odd occasion it spaz's :S

Getting down to the wire eh ? GGS and 'tactics' still need doing as far as I can see. I dont want to deal with GGS :p, I'd be more inclined to saying 8x8 is the skill gain system of uo, while not 100% true its still fairly close /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

but it seems to be getting rather close to getting things smashed in, shuffled and looking good and in some sortof readable layout. Could possibly have a look at the thief forum FAQ , something like that might work over here.

C

Chandalir

Added the template/UOA bit with a few minor changes; read it over and tell me if you want anything changed on it.

I'll get down to GGS after Ive had dinner (rutoh), but as far as the tactics bit, I'd appreciate some feedback on *what* to write first.. otherwise, I'm gonna end up writing "well, you see, you summon 2 earth elementals and off you go killing everything you want to" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

I

imported_Kalibek

I wake up at 3pm from those silly cold pills which knocked me out most of the night and just about everything is written!

...wait why am I complaining about not having to do work... :p

You guys lemme know what you think can be added and I'll get to work on it. I see that the templates have been done in a very nice fashion, so kudos /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I guess I could write something else, lemme eat my bacon n' eggs and I'll be back in an hour /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

C

Chandalir

You can write a tactics section! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

Noone seems to want to take that daunting task on, me including /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif Of course, we could just deem the FAQ to be done *contemplates*

Still, if there's anything under the sky that needs adding, lemme know and me go editing.

I

imported_Kalibek

Tactics eh? I guess it will have to be pvp, since pvm basically consists of summon whatever elementals you want and All Kill.
Lemme write it up, brb

C

Chandalir

You don't have to write it; its more one of those "what if's" pieces in a FAQ, and, to be honest, its a major job for mages cause of the countless options we have avaivable. Tactics is part of the reason I ran sour in my template/tactic bit in the last FAQ cause its nearly impossible to get everything in it the way you want it.

Trust me, its not fun to write /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif but hey, if you're up for it, I'll be glad to add it and some very hefty credits attached to it too /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

D

drgn

Hey its looking pretty good and nearing completion *gasp*. Like the little mini-FAQ Kalibek has done. Spell damage type section looks good after a reread now that im not so blurry eyed *yawns*. Glad Kalibek got the tactics job i've gota say /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif, other than that its pretty much got down to how to lay it out. It's still fairly difficult to read as it is, would be kinda nice to have links and bounce it around the page, just for ease of back and forth (quick refereance).

D

drgn

Just remembered, With bless and buff's, last time i tried (just before pub21), with 0EI you just fizzle the buffs (cant be sure on debuffs), but my tamer worked it up to 25ish where it stopped fizzling long enough for a few second buff n' a recall with loot in hand. merely an interesting note, but i think you mentioned in the FAQ that it doesn't 'last', well in my experience it just doesnt cast :&gt; (low levels of ei only)

[edit]: for the lazy FAQ, chuck in that wrestle+def wrestle does'nt stack, i know its been mentioned elsewere but it does get asked about a fair bit now days.

C

Chandalir

I just tried with my smithy again (120 str/100 magery/0 eval), and he raises 1 strength with a bless spell for 5 seconds.

I think he gained 1 intelligence when he had 100 int base as well.

Basically, following the formula, he'd gain (0/10 + 1)% = 1%, which corresponds pretty well with the 1 point of strength he gains.

One thing it does prove though, that I hadn't thought of before, is that bless duration is based entirely upon evaluate as well. Of course, it makes perfect sense and all, it just never occurred to me making the connection; too used to bless just lasting however long it did cause I had gm magery across the line /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Gonna put in the non-stackability right now. If there's any questions that can be super easily answered beyond the ones already there, let's know (and Im talking to whomever is reading this thread, not just drgn and Kalibek; chip in one and all!).

[edit]

And yeah, I'd love to change the layout to something more readable; as I mentioned above, its long, bulky and boring for the most part. I'm not sure if UBB code allows linking within posts (ala a hred="page.html#now_we_go_here") which would of course be ideal. The menu on top will, eventually, have links to each of the subposts (eg, raising skills will link to the raising skills post), but I figured it was moot doing now as they'll all be reposted later on and such, their links change /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Which reminds me.. I'll have to go look at the thief forum for their FAQ as I was told to /php-bin/shared/images/icons/blush.gif

D

drgn

weird
my tamer had 95 odd magery , 0 eval , and around ~70Int , fizzling bless ,soon as i hit something like 25ei i succeeded ... just wondering WHY atm.

on a side note, know why a character wouldnt be able to polymorph? not in factions (but was) and not at war. rather weird, my tank fizzles poly 'just cause' now, ofcourse this is just thinking, and rather OT for the post /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.

[edit]: lol yeah the thief forums FAQ layout would probably work better if it was minimized a bit and contained a little more information, like this one. The only flaw is doing a quick 'on page' search, but if easily labeled links it shouldnt make too much of a difference

C

Chandalir

If we look at this;

Buffing stat spells: Eval Int/10 +1 = Percentage increase (whomever added this formula to the FAQ update thread deserves credit)

Then I think we have the reason;

0/10 + 1 = 1%. 1% of 70 = 0.7, and its likely floor(0.7), so 0, thus, a fizzle.

Now, if we plot in 25 we get;

25/10 + 1 = 3.5%. 3.5% of 70 = 2.45; well, actually, this doesn't make sense /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

It likely happened around 5 points of evaluate;

5/10 + 1 = 1.5%. 1.5% of 70 = 1.05. But since skillgains at below 25 happen regardless of what happens, its likely you didn't notice it till you hit 25?

Or something to that effect, Im souped up on painkillers so I could be wrong /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

Re: polymorph; were your characters already under "the influence" of incognito or tribal paint? Both are common tactics to avoid being turned into a rat by Barracoon, so its likely it just causes a fizzle in polymorph?

Anyway, anyone wanna take a look at the stats section I just added? I'm not at all sure wether or not its readable or not. I just remembered Grommit mentioning we ought to have the SDI from intelligence in there somewhere, which lead to a stats discussion (under skills, but heck). Read it through and tell me what ya think /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

I

imported_Kalibek

Stats look good /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

So does that mean (according to the formula) with +16 from ring and bracelet, and +8 from hat of magi or DC and 120 eval int...that your int after a bless is 168?

(120/10) + 1 = 13
.13 * 149 = 19.37 ~ 19
19 + 149 = 168

Did I do that right? It's been a while since I've had to do math.

D

drgn

mmm i was just spamming it for gains in eval so i knew i could only goto 25 without working it (it was under the most annoying of times).
so i dunno it was prolly in the 20s when i noticed it ....

nah ive heard of other people with this problem, i simply CANNOT polymorph, its been months since i could , so no tribal paint or any short term changes, is rather weird, i can however incog (thank god or id never do champs with this guy /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif).

stats looks pretty good /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

Kalibek, wheres yer tactics section? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I

imported_Kalibek

<blockquote><hr>

Kalibek, wheres yer tactics section?

<hr></blockquote>
You sould like every teacher I've ever had in my entire life :p It's been a little hectic irl and I've only been able to work on it sporadically. It will be done soon, don't worry, I'm pretty sure the new pvpers out there can wait a few more days. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

D

drgn

no excuses! chop chop, who's life is hectic at THIS time of the year? no your house burning down is not a legit excuse! - stupid things teachers say /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.

nah i know the feeling, the holidays simply suck with being hectic. i know work is cramming more into this month, and on us than they should be. but then this is a nice quiet time to do the faq, most people should be relaxing i guess.... mmm relaxing *crooks neck* wonder what thats like?

G

Grommit

Just wanted to drop a note letting you guys know that you're doing a damn good job.

I'm seriously considering just making this the FAQ thread and removing the discussions from it into another thread.

Chandalir, feel free to rename the title of the thread to the Mage Forum FAQ Thread or something like that.

C

Chandalir

*does so*

Just remembered something I needa add as well; a note on why I even bothered linking alchemy skill gain guide /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uhoh.gif

All we need is more people chipping in.

And well, if you prefer making this the FAQ thread, by all means /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif I'm still stuck on trying to find a way to split up the posts without having 30 some odd different posts; don't suppose there is a way to actually make links within a post ala HTML with #name? I can't find anything about it, so I assume not, but if there's some secret nilly willy way I missed /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

D

drgn

needs to be done, - atm, i did a run through and theres too many double ups and such to just make this the FAQ, someone with questions is going to have more questions once they finish reading /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif.
but as for ideas on how to lay this sucker out .... im stuck too..

I

imported_Kalibek

maybe we could tell them to hit ctrl-f and do a page word search :p

D

drgn

good god man, if they cant figure out that defensive wrestle and wrestling dont stack how dyou expect ctrl-F to be reasonable option? :p

I

imported_Kalibek

<blockquote><hr>

if they cant figure out that defensive wrestle and wrestling dont stack how dyou expect ctrl-F to be reasonable option? :p

<hr></blockquote>
I know what you mean. I especially wanna avoid the people from UOHall who couldnt figure out that fc -1 and fc +1 equal 0.

*Looks up for UOHallers who failed 1st grade math* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uhoh.gif
*Looks down for UOHallers* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uhoh2.gif
*Looks everywhere* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uhoh3.gif
I dont see them...let's hope they go back to school. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

as pointed out, this is not 100% accurate /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif, but to find your chance of casting a circle at 100%, use the rule of 14:

120 magery -- 8th circle -- 100%
106 magery -- 7th circle -- 100%
092 magery -- 6th circle -- 100%
078 magery -- 5th circle -- 100%
064 magery -- 4th circle -- 100%
050 magery -- 3rd circle -- 100%
036 magery -- 2nd circle -- 100%
022 magery -- 1st circle -- 100%

G

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Quick Reference Gauntlet Guide:

Room 1: Darknight Creepers - Use: Fire Damage, Undead Slayer Weps
Room 2: Flesh Renderers - Use: Fire Damage or Cold Damage
Room 3: Impalers - Use: Fire Damage, Daemon Slayer Weps, Energy Vortex, Poison
Room 4: Shadow Knights - Use: Fire Damage, Undead Slayer Weps, Energy Vortex
Room 5: Abyssmal Horrors - Use: Pysical/Cold Damage, Daemon Slayer Weps
Final: Dark Fathers - Use: Any Damage Type (all resists at 30), Daemon Slayer Weps, Earth Elementals

Note: Do not use fields on any champ unless you are blocking in a Flesh Renderer

C

Chandalir

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you before on that post; I've been fiendishly busy lately. I'll try to add the gauntlet info in the next update of the FAQ, specifically for the elemental damage spell bits as I'm gonna scream if I see one more energy vortex thrown at an impaler (100% energy resist) /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

I'm working on an update of the FAQ as we speak, so don't worry, it'll be there /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks for the idea though, I'll put it to good use (I hope).

E

Elowan of Wind

... Chandalir old thing - I'm glad to see that we finally agree on something. I refer specifically to your discussion of the Mage Weapon.

Some time ago - and in this forum if memory serves - I made those exact points though perhaps not so elaborately. My main point was that using a Mage Weapon gave the mage a freebie melee skill. I was roundly chastized (though not by you I think) for even suggesting such a lame thing.

I still hold - as you seem to - that this is a very good idea indeed. This would be especially so if one were constructing a Holy Mage (Mage/Paladin) with a tight template. One question does come to mind. Would high Tactics be useful in suchg a case since it adds to damge done by one's melee weapon? Since the Mage Weapon converts Magery into a weapon skill - I would think that it would. How say you on this point?

Additionally - it's moot whether Spell Channeling weapons all have an FC-1 as long as one obtains a weapon that doesn't have the FC-1 penalty displayed. All that means is that there is no penalty to casting speed when using it. I doubt me that many peeps think that such a weapon increases their casting rate above the default absent any modifying jewelry and the like.

I take your point about the utility of the Magic Arrow/Fireball spell effect weapons and the delay being useful against spell casters. Whilst primarily useful in PvP - I shall go out and obtain a few undead slayers with these qualities straightaway (providing that I can find one or two). A Spell Channeler undead slayer weapon might be overkill (pun intended) in some instances - but one such as described would be truly whoop-ass against Lich Lords - don't you think?

The entire point here is that one should tailor ones weapons to the task at hand for optimum results. Surely one would not go out to do battle with an Artic Ogre Lord with armor having low cold resists nor with a weapon doing major cold damage. To be sure - few creatures have high resistance to cold except for the artic variety.

It is this point exactly which makes me tend to shy away from 'enhanced' weapons made from valorite. Whatever for? To me it would be best for the weapon to be purely physical unless the creature has high phys resist in which case tailor the enhancement to the weakest resist - fire for an undead and 100% Fire would be lovely even if not an Undead Slayer - the same could be said for ogres and their ilk. If one is a Paladin - then it is quite a waste of expensive ingots to use a weapon with a damage spread since ConWep will concentrate all the phyical damage against the creatures lowest resist. Which - by the way - is why it's a waste of mana to use ConWep against the DF - he has no one resist weaker than the others and I've seen no data to support the contention that in that case the concentration is randomly applied. It would make no difference in any case.

Also - the data in your discussion belies the contention that FC/FCR jewelry has no place in the armentarium of the Paladin. Surely - faster casting and recovery is important for all spell casters. I do not hold to the notion that an Int of 50 is adequate for a Paladin in any event and not only do I make sure their Int is higher but that they are also equipped with MR items. But I digress - this discussion is about Mages after all - albeit my discussion has leaned toward 'Tanks' a bit.

C

Chandalir

Let me see if I can answer this without quoting too much /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=8B0000>-- Mage weaponry</font color=8B0000>; indeed, tactics, anatomy and strength would all influence the damage of mage weapons, as any other melee weaponry.

If its of any interest, right after AoS came out I instantly started converting an old mage into a "mage weapon tank" (magery, eval, resist, meditation, tactics, and, in my case, anatomy, but it could be anything, or even heal/anat instead of tactics); I gave up on the prospect, however, as finding the jewelry to offset the penalty you take is unbelievable hard and ties up a property on jewelry unless you have the staff of the mage. But yes, its essentially a freebie skill (and, thanks for reminding me, I'll make sure to make a note re: this in the new dodging FAQ).

<font color=8B0000>-- Spell Channel/FC1;</font color=8B0000> not as moot as you might think actually. The primary reason I say it, and will argue it to the end of time, is fairly much the same reason that I gave up my mage weapon tank. The FC1 on the spell channeler to "remove" the penalty, ties up another property. Which means, that unlike a "normal" spellchanneler that can have 4 extra properties (5 with an extreme luck roll), a "no penalty" spellchanneler can only have 3 extra (or, incase of a very lucky roll, 4); this is actually fairly important as it gives somewhat of a limited repetoire for spell channeling weaponry /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif That's why its there.

<font color=8B0000>--Hit spell effect;</font color=8B0000> agreed, that bit was heavily pvp biased; it was solely added for the spell interuption of mages/paladins. For pvm the spell effect would, of course, primarily depend on the monsters resist, or, just go with lightning allround (extra high damage is always good in pvm, wether or not its instantaneous, as you can't interupt monsters). Fireball would be your best bet vs lich lords though /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=8B0000>--FC/FCR;</font color=8B0000> you're right, this is about mages /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif I could include a note saying that paladins are affected by fc/fcr, and necromancers only by fcr, but I would say I'd rather see the paladins and necromancers making sure people know this themselves (eg, one of the reasons I keep linking to krrios' FC/FCR testing on both necro and paladin boards).

The weapons I agree 100% with. I bought a spell channeler/fc1 waraxe from someone, and as I went to trade, I found that it was made with valorite; I was fairly miffed, as the waraxe has armor ignore on it, and valorite just ruins that special move by spreading the damage away from physical. Furthermore, in the case of mages, having another physical damage source beyond earthquake helps a lot, so no matter what, Id tend to pick up 100% physical weaponry, despite having no actual damage sources (tactics/anatomy) to back it up.

The only real worthwhile enhances are slayer weaponry, and even then, in some cases, it can be counter productive to do so (eg, I regret having enhanced a couple of deamon slayers with verite because I've essentially made those weapons trash vs bone deamons); of course, dull copper/gold is almost always a worthwhile enhance (if you're sure you can pull it off anyway) as the added durability/luck + lower requirements never hurts.

G

Just one thing I mention that I really hate in other FAQs, try to avoid from using colors whenever possbile because not everyone has the same color scheme template.

G

Energy Vortexs cast spells, no? Such as flamestrike, harm... which would be fire and cold respectivly, no? Even if an "energy vortex" melées 100% energy verse an opponent who is 100% resistant to energy, I think the spells do some damage. If not, well, ok /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. I noted this simply because, Imaplers do not seem to dispel. But if all spells done by the vortex are considered to be energy, well, then I 'spose that they have no reason to dispel.

Energy Vortexs, if nothing more, give the impaler "something to think about," and most mages can med up that lost mana fast and continue with the barrage of fire-based spells.

C

Chandalir

Well, EVs no longer cast spells (and haven't for years; I rather miss them doing so /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif even if it was only harm, curse and poison). So yeah, as a distraction, they're okay, but they have so few hitpoints that they are largely a waste of mana.

I've found that two warriors crosshealing, or a single tamer with a white wyrm does the job much better; if there's only mages there, you can just circle around it till it dies.