• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mad Mage or shadow elemental

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I have a newly tamed Cu and plan to start training I was wondering if it's better to start him off with the Mad Mage or Shadow Elementals?

And should I switch off on Shadow Elementals after so much training gained?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For training use the Crazed Mage. For skilling use a shadow ele that has skills within 20 of the pets.

3 slot pet gets 50% per mob. 4 slot pet gets 25% per mob. So you have to move to another mob or kill the mage when done.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good luck skill training on the Shadow Ore Ele in Yomotsu Mines right now, especially on Atlantic. Tons of people running through the Yomotsu Mines due to Yukio's quest, and will kill the Shadow Ore Ele.

For slot leveling, you can use the Crazed Mage. I prefer Allosaurus or Dread Pirates though, depending on the toughness of the pet.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im digging up shadow ellies, if you are a decent tamer Ill happily let you jump in and skill on mine that I dig up for my pets.
If people troll, Ill move the shadow ellie dig location.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im digging up shadow ellies, if you are a decent tamer Ill happily let you jump in and skill on mine that I dig up for my pets.
If people troll, Ill move the shadow ellie dig location.
Yep, i dig them up too. Got a nice spot for it, close to a stable. Just gotta dig up enough of them to get one that's within 20.0 Wrest/Tact of the pet.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just discord the Pet or the shadow ellie and you're fine.
If your pet isnt within the range anyway, you can just train your pet on ortanords until your pet reaches about 50-60 in range.
Ortanords work for training 0 - 50.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just discord the Pet or the shadow ellie and you're fine.
If your pet isnt within the range anyway, you can just train your pet on ortanords until your pet reaches about 50-60 in range.
Ortanords work for training 0 - 50.
The problem with Discording your pet when trying to get Wrest/Tact gains, is that the pet attacks slower while under Discord. Discord applies a SSI debuff. Can get faster Wrest/Tact gains on an appropriate skill Shadow Ore Ele without Discord running on the pet. Discording the Shadow Ore Ele itself is fine though. I discord the pet only for faster Magic skill or Healing gains.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tac/wres/anatomy is just so fast to gain that it's just not necessary. Stam is still at 150 .
You'll see slower gains due to being at below 125stam when you are training a fresh pet, that it's just negligable.

You are gonna spend all that time gaining wres/tac/anatomy while training your magic that't it's just better to let your pet run discorded for those magic gains. The skill speed gain for discording your pet just outweights any potential SSI debuff.

Anyway, ortanords if you are really hurting at low skills is the way to go. Then you can stretch it into 50-60's with discord.
+250 pets and counting, it's just not worth cycling through shadow ellies to get a super low intensity one to spawn.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For low skills, I usually start my skill advancement with Gregorio outside Skara Brae before moving to a Shadow Elemental. Personally, I always start my pets by advancing skills and getting stats to at least 125 Dex and 125 Int. Then I go to the Crazed Mage for formal training.