• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lowering Max Defense vs lowering Max resistance...

Gunsmoke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so i was tinkering with the refinements and looking at the best way to use this for my warrior pvmer to find out that it really doesnt work that well with raising my max defense and lowering my max resistance due to the fact that 90% of the creatures use magic and would smoke me if where to lower my max resistance not to mention i would also have my PHY resist down to get more def.Also about 75% of the players suits have max resistance up and defense down.

i think touching anyones max resistance is a hard hit to anyone in the games pvp/pvm players seeing that max defense doesnt really tell us much. in my head if im lower my max resist and raising my max defense it shouldnt be 1 point for 1 point. should be more of 1 point for 2 points if your only raising max defense.

as a example to i had 120 parry (shield) , and max defense (60) and was getting smoke by a greater dragon.

i also heard from players of who had 120 parry/ 120 wrestling/ max defense (60) and still getting smoked by dexors..

guess the bottom line is the reward for max defense is not balance in my point of view.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
refinements useful but only if you use them for very specific encounters. for example a 65 dci suit is very useful against the macer and fencer in blackthorns dungeon.

i stopped refining suits because in general its not worth the time and effort (for pvm at least)

now that we have instant suit switch in both EC and CC, for pvp its valuable to carry a few suits, equiping the correct suit that best suits the type of player your fighting. like dci suit for a melee suit, then switch to resist suit if your fighting a mage, and switch back to your normal, non-refine suit for general encounters.

if your an elf energy resist can be lowered without much consequence. cold is also good to lower.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's all subjective, some people swear by having all 75's and low DCI, I personally run all 70s and 45 DCI. I do all the content possible with a melee character and have very little if any issues at all.

The Macer/Fencer mobs in Blackthorns hit so hard and fast that having all 75s or 65 DCI is irrelevant (in my opinion). In either case, you get hit twice and you are off screening without support. They have such a high (no idea how high because they cant be lored) weapon skill that the additional Resist/DCI really makes no difference.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's all subjective, some people swear by having all 75's and low DCI, I personally run all 70s and 45 DCI. I do all the content possible with a melee character and have very little if any issues at all.

The Macer/Fencer mobs in Blackthorns hit so hard and fast that having all 75s or 65 DCI is irrelevant (in my opinion). In either case, you get hit twice and you are off screening without support. They have such a high (no idea how high because they cant be lored) weapon skill that the additional Resist/DCI really makes no difference.
Use a fencer with feint. Halves their damage.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Use a fencer with feint. Halves their damage.
But you have to hit them first for that to be in effect and that's where the problem lies. Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Chink!..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Chink!.. and so on.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i made specific character to farm blackthorns that could stand toe to toe with them (which was waste of time after value of minax arties were destroyed by botters)

65 dci
no vamp form
hit life leech on weapon
healing skill
use evasion when needed
cast confidence and / or pot as needed.

can you kill them with 45 dci? yes probably but 65 did make it easier for me.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
But you have to hit them first for that to be in effect and that's where the problem lies. Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Chink!..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Chink!.. and so on.
Try Hld 70 on wep and Hld 30 on Helmet!

Then we be like! bash....bash.....bash....bash.... whiff!:)()

O and the bashing sound is from my halbert.