• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lot's of things have changed. Questions...

G

Ok, I just came back after about an 8 year break. Just wanted to check things out and see how things are and all that. I haven't upgraded to Mondains yet since I wanted to make sure I would enjoy it all before upgrading, but I am so lost. Simple things I can't even do anymore, lol. I tried to go to Trammel, so I had a moonstone on me. I click it, and I get the message "You cannot figure out how to use this" or something similar. Like I said, I am really lost.

I was hoping to get to Trammel and maybe find some vendors to get a few things for my house and get back into the swing of things. I figured I would read up mre and see what changes there are and then upgrade, but even these simple tasks seemed to change.

Did the simple Trammel travel and stuff change or am I just doing something wrong? I am not in a town, I am not already in Trammel, and the seed is in the top level of my backpack.

I was pretty much only a crafter when I played. I am on Atlantic and I was playing from release until about 2000, then stopped. Was nice to come back and see some different things, but I want to get back into my smithing, scribing, and alchemy. I am GM is all those, but it looks liek so much has changed I have a lot to do before I can even really get back up to speed with them.

N

nickdafunk

You now simply recall between facets. No need to use a moonstone any longer, they are now deco only.

I came back after being gone for 5 years (bout 12 months ago) and there is just so much to pick up, but its all good

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moonstones no longer function nor do they spawn. They are basically semi-rares now. If you want to get to Trammel, or any other facet for that matter, find a public moongate and choose where you want to go from the menus.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except if he's never been to Trammel then he likely doesn't have any runes or locations marked in Trammel either.

You will need to locate a moongate first and then you can select Trammel from the menu and choose a town.

G

I used to make runebooks on my Scribe before I quit, so I might still have one of the cities for both Trammel and Felucca. I will have to check tonight when I get home. Hopefully I have one or else I will just go to the moongate and start to make one again from scratch.

C

Connor_Graham

'Ok, I just came back after about an 8 year break. Just wanted to check things out and see how things are and all that. I haven't upgraded to Mondains yet since I wanted to make sure I would enjoy it all before upgrading, but I am so lost. Simple things I can't even do anymore, lol. I tried to go to Trammel, so I had a moonstone on me. I click it, and I get the message "You cannot figure out how to use this" or something similar. Like I said, I am really lost."

As others have said, moonstones no longer work. We now have public moongates in or just outside of each town, and can also Recall or Gate (magery spells), Sacred Journey (Paladin spell), or simply use a runebook that has had Recall scrolls dropped on it.

"I want to get back into my smithing, scribing, and alchemy. I am GM is all those"

Smithing actually now goes up to 120, so you've got a bit of catching up to do. Runic hammers also recently had a major overhaul, with even the lowest one, Dull Copper, able to produce some very nice weapons.

You've got a TON of catching up to do. There are 3 players that volunteered to help out new archers on Atlantic, but I'm sure if you send them a PM and explain to them that you're returing after an 8 yr hiatus, they'd be more than happy to help you. Their names here on Stratics are:

xxviperh202xx
Croaker
Bullseye of Atl

If there are any questions you have, just send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to answer anything I can.

G

156028559 icq
Ill be glad to help you on atlantic. Gold, Info, and supplies. I hope you have fun.

G

That sounds good. I might be contacting people for info. As far as gold, I had about 1mil stashed when I left, along with about 30k ingots and stuff like that to get me back on my feet. I was able to place a small house in pretty much the same spot I used to have one, just a stones throw away from Skara Brae, so I was happy about that.

My problem last night was trying to find vendors that could were selling basic house stuff. I have a carpenter but he isn't high enough to make a forge/anvil and stuff like that yet, so I was going to buy one. All in all, it isn;t too much a bad thing, just means I will level him up high enough to make stuff like that and craft in town for now, but I do like to at least browse through vendors now and then for potion kegs and stuff.

I read now that most people are around Malas and stuff. I don't have that city yet, but will eventually be upgrading if I decide to stay around. Once I get used to some of the changes I most likely will stay though. Just going to be a long learning curve. Amazing what they added to the game over the last few years.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're mostly likely hearing about Luna. Luna is basically a wall-to-wall vendor mall. Prices are usually the highest there due to the laws of economics that govern the fact that convenience = higher prices. So if you get there, you can get a pretty fair cross-section of what's available nowadays, and a fair idea of what the top-end of pricing is now. If you want it cheaper, look for people gating to various vendor malls from WBB (Remember, people: this is Atlantic we're talking about. Our WBB is still heavily populated.) or just wander the countryside looking for vendors.

I

imported_badskidmarks

What shard are you playing on? I have GM or better in every craft and tons of extra wood and cloth...I can hook you up with a bunch of free furniture and house add ons if you are playing on atlantic...

Edit....just noticed you are indeed on atlantic...let me know if you need anything...

G

I play on Atlantic. I will be on later tonight, but I don't have ICQ or anything currently. Haven't used that in many years.

I will most likely be trying to add some more boxes and stuff to my little house for a bit tonight. I have it on the Felucca side. Just East-Northeast of Skara Brae, the front steps are right at the little wheat field there. I don't see many people around that area anymore though, but it was a close run for me to a city to transfer some stuff without getting killed. Even though I have some fighter skills, I don't have much so I am easy prey usually.

I

imported_badskidmarks

Well if you do start to use iCQ my name on there is the same as here..or you can PM me and I'll get on when I can..
I also have tons of decent enhanced weapons and armor wasting space in my houses...so maybe we can get your warrior a little more competitive...

F

Fayled Dhreams

Hail ancient one ...
aye ... to moongate first ...
IF you've updated to ML...

More lands are named there in the gate.

wow ... a rip-van-winkle ... heh! sorry .. 1 million won't go "as far"
Colored ingots ... mmmm will remain a bit familiar ...
arrange for your miner to get a fire beetle ...so you can smelt them where you find them ...

got an LJ? been some changes there, different colored woods (yep with "properties" per each, imbued)

While gathering either, ore/wood, even more stuff will turn up in your backpack, you'll need a trip to heartwood
(elf's that live in a magical tree ... access to which is found at approximately 55o 22'N 550 11'W Trammel ...(fortunately compass's are npc tinker items, cheap, and function as before) ... without a compass: hold steady a wsw heading from the Tram yew gate, past the abbey and winery ... to the center of 6 buildings around a patch of grass ... a shimmering faux gate is there ... step in and look around )
*ahem* you'll need a trip to heartwood to find recipies to use the newer stuff found mining and chopping ... and some other "new" items to make other "new things" ...
Oh ... and don't leave what you think is "trash" just laying about to decay ... even the lowest of boards, and ingots ... can be traded to NPC quester's .. for yet MORE new items ... that might bedazzel thine eyes.

speaking of gates and stones ... there is also one new "stone" ... comes in two different sizes ...(well Lots of colors, which don't matter ... but two sizes ... and some are from tokens ... oops newthing.. tokens can contain lotsa different items ... read the label carefully in anycase ... ask before buying/clicking) ... Two sizes one is a "fragement" and only allows 5 uses ... the other larger one ... called a "Soulstone" ... unlimited uses (though a timer is involved) ...
*breaths* ... uhhh? oh yeah! ... they can be used to STORE your skills! even (upon the same account) transfer! those skills to other characters (again upon an ACCOUNT)

someone's already mentioned the "Powerscrolls" ... crafting wise ... there are two available only for and to Tailors and Smiths ...from filling out BODs (bulk order deeds) available just for the asking (though some conditions again involve the concept of a "timer") pretty simple to get used to though ... ask around in the specific crafting forums
(little drop down menu "Jump" lower right corner there *motions*)

You'll soon notice ...something happened with the skill of "Item IDentification" its effects are everywhere ... only takes a look to KNOW precisely what an item is and is made of and all its special attributes ... like i said ... you'll soon notice ..but: not all are "just spawned" some are... some are "enhanced" by crafters ...taking a "good" weapon from a monsters loot ... banging or sewing different materials unto it(careful they DO mostly get destroyed) survivors are enhanced "upwards" ..and when have become worn through use ..can be repaired (as before) by a crafter... or by a repair deed made by a crafter ... !!!
as a smith ... you'll be wanting to work and slave for(bods reward) Powder of Fortification ... don't want to spoil the surprise ...you'll figure out why.

enough for now ... I see puzzeled doubt of me, in thy eyes ... rest more ... read more ..Luck be with ye!

G

Wecome back! Hopefully you will find enough interesting new things to entice you to stay!

One thing I would like to mention is to be careful when sorting out what you have saved in your bank or on your characters. Many things that might have been commonplace back in your day, may very well be considered rare and valuable today.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the returning player...

You probably doesn't know about arms lore being redesigned.

Like with item ID, the ID part of the Arms lore skill is pretty much gone (except for the creature called a Swamp Dragon; smiths can create "dragon barding deeds" for the swamp dragon that reduces the damage the rider takes, and Arms lore can be used to keep track of how long that armor has till it breaks).

However, after 5 years of the Arms Lore skill having no practical use (other than swampy armor checking), they made it to where it influences crafting armor and weapons.
Armor now gets +1 random resist (5 resists now, instead of just AR) per 20 points of Arms Lore, when made exceptional, in addition to the usual exceptional bonus. Exceptional Weapons get +1% DI per 20 points, added to a base of 35% for a standard Exceptional weapon.

Oh, and with Mondain's Legacy, all human characters get a phantom 20 points in all skills that don't require quests or requisites to use. This means that a human has about a 27% chance of casting a 5th circle spell from scroll, which can be useful against some monsters (like casting a couple blade spirits from scroll). There are also some other neat tricks one can do with those 20 points in other skills (like animal loring your pet and others, to see their state of training, etc.)

Pets now BOND.... You feed them, keep them alive for 7-10 days (preferred way is to stable them), feed them again, and they become ghosts when they die that can be brought back to life by vets (though with a little skill loss).

Lastly, skills (and stats) can now be set to go up, go down or stay static. No more danger of see-sawing skills and losing 7xGM from seeing some person igniting kindling at the bank.

G

Go to brit. Look for runes on the ground. There is a rune always drop with GARDENS in the name. I forget the whole name. They have lots of house stuff.
They drop almost daily.

G

I was thinking of this, also.

The Rares Collector Forum is a great place to ask about your "vintage" UO items. Some collectors even seek out things as basic as practice weapons.

Make sure you've not got some neat things stashed away before you make space for the new stuff! Oh, and have a great time on Atlantic! =)

G

Ok. I spent a good deal online last night and had a great time. I am thinking I will upgrade to Mondains so I can experience everything the game now has to offer. I do have a question again though.

My main character I always played is also my smith/miner, meaning I have smithing, mining, tinkering, swords, anatomy, etc. He was the only one I fought with when I played earlier, but mainly he is my smith.

My dilemma is, I don't want to have to lose smithing and stuff on him, but he isn't going to be a viable fighter. I never really was able to get into dungeons and stuff, and I want to be able to do that this time. Is it worth it for me to start a new character and work just fighting skills from scratch (upgrading account will give me a 6th slot to create one) or is it better to buy an advanced template, like a Pally. Only thing I would hate is other games I play, buying a character still makes it that you have no idea how to play one, so it is usually better to build one from scratch. I don't want it to take 5 months to get him up to the point that I can do dungeons and other hunting things.

G

What is the difference between soulstone fragments and the green soulstone? I saw you can get a legacy token and get a soulstone, but is it a single use thing? It says once every 24 hours. Can you select only a few skills to transfer or do you need to do all or nothing. I haven;t been able to find anything on how they work.

M

mmmbeer05

the only advanced char token id buy would be to make a tamer of some kind. taming is so slow its worth it to get adv token. most other charactar templates are easily trained quickly

G

The fragments are realatively cheap and available. I say relatively but a new returning player might not think so. They are limited in that they have 5 charges. Each charge allows for removal and transfer of 1 skill every 24 hours. Most likely you would only need 1 in order to accomplish the split you are trying for. The green ones(full) are unlimited usage every 24 hours.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok. I spent a good deal online last night and had a great time. I am thinking I will upgrade to Mondains so I can experience everything the game now has to offer. I do have a question again though.

My main character I always played is also my smith/miner, meaning I have smithing, mining, tinkering, swords, anatomy, etc. He was the only one I fought with when I played earlier, but mainly he is my smith.

My dilemma is, I don't want to have to lose smithing and stuff on him, but he isn't going to be a viable fighter. I never really was able to get into dungeons and stuff, and I want to be able to do that this time. Is it worth it for me to start a new character and work just fighting skills from scratch (upgrading account will give me a 6th slot to create one) or is it better to buy an advanced template, like a Pally. Only thing I would hate is other games I play, buying a character still makes it that you have no idea how to play one, so it is usually better to build one from scratch. I don't want it to take 5 months to get him up to the point that I can do dungeons and other hunting things.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? A good time. Oh my goodness. You cant say that around here.

But since you are having a good time, soulstone frags are like 400 - 500k. It might be hard to hook up with you but If I dont have a few frags, id be glad to give you gold to buy some.

If you on atlantic. Look for Jessic Rose in brit opening gates. Or a rune that says Malkins. Thats my vendor house. Just zip over.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do your research. Check out the profession forums here on stratics and learn from other people. There are usually "template threads" where people post their templates to get maximum effect for hunting, be it pvm or pvp.

If your not into pvp, move to trammel. Eventually, when you start earning gold, you'll be able to afford a nice sized plot there. 18x18 is the largest customizable house plot.

I'm not trying to herd you to moving to trammel, but it sounds like your mostly a crafter, who is trying to just now get into hunting. You can take things at your own pace much better in trammel. But, if you decide to keep your Fel house, you can now at least make it private, so that nobody can bother you while you craft.

Start slow, and build up. I can't imagine what your going through right now lol. Actually I can. But it's been a very long time since UO's release
. There are ALL kinds of new items, creatures, rules, facets....you name it. UO is 10 times the game it was in the 90's. AoS changed a lot. Either you will like it or not. Most of the people who didn't like it have left. For those of us who have adapted, it has enriched the game (along with many other things) beyond belief. You simply have to get used to damage types (elemental resists and damages) and the fact that you can now use items to kit out your characters, usually without fear of losing said items.

The next few months will be overwhelming for you. I pity you and envy you at the same time

Welcome back.

G

I dont play on Atlantic but I have a couple of fragment tokens you can have

G

Ok. I went ahead and upgraded my account. Lots of fun stuff to see now, lol. Also, as for the soulstones, it turns out I had them to be claimed as vet rewards, so I claimed them on two characters and have them to use swapping skills and stuff. Thanks everyone for the help, and I know I will have a lot more questions as I relearn stuff.

I went out to Covetous to see how my warrior would do with his meager skills. Didn't do too bad, but still got overrun a few times and had to run. I definately need to read the warrior forums to figure out what I need to raise for him, and to find out the good armor and stuff now.

I

imported_Coldren

You wouldn't happen to be in GM armor only, would you?

When I came back about a year ago, I tried to do lichs in GM gear (I wasn't FULLY aware of the Age of Shadows effect yet) and got me arse handed to me.

Gear makes all the difference now. The full impact of that fact didn't hit me until quite some time later, and it almost made me quit again.

Just sayin'.. Be prepared to face that reality.

G

Age of Shadows effect? What is that? lol. Yes, I am only in GM armor and weapons. Stuff I was able to make myself. I have a feeling it will be slow going and going to take me awhile to try to learn what I need to.

I made a post on the warrior forums with my skills and stuff for suggestions, so hopefully I will be able to get him outfitted with the skills I need to become viable soon enough. As for armor and weapons and stuff, lots of what I read is acronyms and everything, so I am not really sure what kind of armor I should be looking for anymore. Kind of a catch 22 now it seems. Need good armor to be a viable fighter, but need to be a viable fighter to get good armor, lol.

I am not interested in PVP, only PVM. Is there specific armor I should be on the lookout for? I remember there used to be ideal "archer suits" and stuff made from GM items, but I am sure that has all changed.

I debated driving down to the Town Hall meeting today to try to get some answers easily. I only live about 3 miles from the location it is being held, but I didn't find out about it in time so I never got a change to RSVP. Wonder if I can just show up, lol.