• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] Lost On T-Hunting

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

I've been searching for about an hour now to find some kind of info on how to locate where the location of a map is. How and where do you get coordinates, or even locate the spot on UOAM? I've added the file for t-maps listed in the sticky above, but can't locate anything in UOAM to turn it on. I'm completely lost here. Would someone please explain how all of this is done?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok this is where T-hunting requires some skill.

I go to the Tmap archive
located here: http://uo.stratics.com/thb/info/maparchive/Archive1.shtml

run your mouse over the map and certain areas show yellow.
This yellow areas contain a group of maps.

Now you have too look at your decoded map and compare it to an area on the archive. When you find the one the looks the same you are set.

Sounds like a pain...but you pick it up pretty quick.
if you map fairly often you can find maps in just afew seconds.

hope this helps

C

Connor_Graham

That did help a lot. It took some time to find the geography to match the map I've decoded, but I can see that once I've done this for a while I'll be able to recognize areas a lot easier. I just hope the t-map runebooks I copied from a library match up...

Thanks a lot for the info!

L

Lord Drakelord

I've been searching for about an hour now to find some kind of info on how to locate where the location of a map is. How and where do you get coordinates, or even locate the spot on UOAM? I've added the file for t-maps listed in the sticky above, but can't locate anything in UOAM to turn it on. I'm completely lost here. Would someone please explain how all of this is done?

Check in your UOAM control panel file

C

Connor_Graham

I don't have T-Hunt as an option on that screen. It ends at rares.

C

Connor_Graham

I got it and pasted it into the notepad file treasure.map.txt. Was there something else that needed to be done with it?

L

Lord Drakelord

I got it and pasted it into the notepad file treasure.map.txt. Was there something else that needed to be done with it?
as long as you put it in the main UOAM file and then go to the control panel to click on it. That way when you turn UOAM on the t map locations will be visible in UOAM.

C

Connor_Graham

I must be doing something wrong. I put the notepad file containing all of that text into the UOAM file found under Program Files on my C drive, and even opened UOAM from that file, yet still nothing, and what do you mean go to the control panel? What control panel?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it should NOT have a .txt extension

it should be treasure.map or t-hunt.map , or whatever. UOAM looks for the .MAP extension.

C

Connor_Graham

I wasn't given an option to save it as a .map file. The .txt was the only one, so how do I get it to save correctly?

L

Lord Drakelord

I wasn't given an option to save it as a .map file. The .txt was the only one, so how do I get it to save correctly?
right click and save target as then direct it to UOAM File where the other map files are

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you can also get a command prompt, go to the directory using CD commands, then use REN command to rename the file

REN *.MAP.TXT *.MAP

C

Connor_Graham

you can also get a command prompt, go to the directory using CD commands, then use REN command to rename the file

REN *.MAP.TXT *.MAP
Uh....what? In English please? Is there a computer language for dummies book I can reference for translations? :dunce:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That is english.

Go to accessories
Choose "Command Prompt"

use the "CD" command to change to the directory for UOAM
"CD .." will move you up one step.
When you get to "C:\" look to see where the UOAM folder is at. If it is in C:\, then skip the next step
(If it is installed in the Program Files folder, then type either "CD Program Files" (XP or later) or "CD progra~1" (98 or ME) this should put you into the Program Files folder.)
Then type "CD UOAM" = this will you put you into the UOAM folder.

type "DIR /p" page through the directory looking for the offending .map.txt file

IF it's in the folder, then type "ren *.map.txt *.map" where * is the main part of the file name (it might also work just leaving in the * as a wild card).

use "DIR /p" again, to confirm it is fixed.

If it is fixed, type exit to return to Windows

L

Lord Drakelord

That is english.

Go to accessories
Choose "Command Prompt"

use the "CD" command to change to the directory for UOAM
"CD .." will move you up one step.
When you get to "C:\" look to see where the UOAM folder is at. If it is in C:\, then skip the next step
(If it is installed in the Program Files folder, then type either "CD Program Files" (XP or later) or "CD progra~1" (98 or ME) this should put you into the Program Files folder.)
Then type "CD UOAM" = this will you put you into the UOAM folder.

type "DIR /p" page through the directory looking for the offending .map.txt file

IF it's in the folder, then type "ren *.map.txt *.map" where * is the main part of the file name (it might also work just leaving in the * as a wild card).

use "DIR /p" again, to confirm it is fixed.

If it is fixed, type exit to return to Windows
COOL! I learned something.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I thought, all of uo players are old enough to have been grown up/worked with older DOS-systems. *g*

The modern way of renaming a file (windows system):
- open explorer (rightclick start-button and choose explorer)
- search for your uoam directory and select it
- rightclick onto the 'wrong' filename (thunt.txt for this example)
- choose rename and type over the extension (txt) with map

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey I cut my teeth on DOS 3.1 but that was a very very long time ago...1990 ish or before!

L

Lord Drakelord

And I thought, all of uo players are old enough to have been grown up/worked with older DOS-systems. *g*

The modern way of renaming a file (windows system):
- open explorer (rightclick start-button and choose explorer)
- search for your uoam directory and select it
- rightclick onto the 'wrong' filename (thunt.txt for this example)
- choose rename and type over the extension (txt) with map
And I just learn something new again. As for DOS that has been a LONG time for me and I have forgotton a lot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Silverbird - I've never had Windows after 98 recognize an extension change not done via the command prompt.

for example, using the explorer method, if I had Treasure.map.txt and tried to change it by clicking on it, it would display "treasure.map", still identify as a TXT file, and if I looked at it with another method, it would STILL be "treasure.map.txt"

Then again, Computers do weird things around me. For example, Word perfect 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0 all would occasionally freak on me, and cause a condition that was like a permanently held down "Shift key" (NOT a caps lock, as it even caused numbers to go to the characters above), that was only resolvable by a reboot, as it affected the machines (dozens of different ones, over a 10 year period) even outside the program.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is somewhere a really hidden option for the explorer. (I even cant find it now on my own pc. :lol: )That is something like
- always show file extension
or
- (dont) hide known file extensions
Unless you get shown your file extensions at you're explorer, you 're not changing them when simply renaming a file.

EDIT: i guess, I have now found, were I have changed the settings on my pc ....
On a windows standard interface/installation:
- rightclick the icon named Computer for properties/characteristics/eigenschaften on your desktop
- choose under extras --> folderoptions
- uncheck under view/ansicht blend out know extensions

Not shure if you can find it that way. I have a german system running and my translation for the menu selections might not be correct enough.

D

Drawde2

Then again, Computers do weird things around me. For example, Word perfect 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0 all would occasionally freak on me, and cause a condition that was like a permanently held down "Shift key" (NOT a caps lock, as it even caused numbers to go to the characters above), that was only resolvable by a reboot, as it affected the machines (dozens of different ones, over a 10 year period) even outside the program.
Can't remember the exact cause, but it's one of the programs that comes with Windows. It's set up to turn on if you hold down the SHIFT key too long, and I think it's turned off the same way. Might be under the "Accessibility Options" in the Control Panel, but I might be wrong there. I forgot how I turned it off permanentally. Sorry I can't remember the specifics.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have had trouble with that, and have it turned off, but that wasn't the issue with WP.

In the WP issue, this occurred while I was typing, editing files I had scanned text in, and it appeared to be some sort of wierd malfunction from hitting something in the file introduced by the scanning process.

Of course, I've also had issue with that one function turning itself BACK ON, on this machine.

I swear, I must be cursed.