• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for something I've never played

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm looking for a bard template. Something I can do champ spawns with and maybe some higher end boss type monsters. I was looking for something I've never played before. I am going to go with gargoyle, I think. I also want to try mysticism since I have yet to play it. I read something about a dexxer bard? Any help will be great. I have a tamer/t hunter, and a bushido/pally, both do different things for me pending on my mood. Basically looking for something different, on the rare side of things. I'm really thinking Dexxer/Disco bard. Does that use Mysticism. Any template ideas and what it could possibly solo would be great information. All input welcome.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you're looking at dexxer bards, and doing champs, Mysticism doesn't really have much of a place, you could do a Discord Mystic but I think it would take a lot longer to do certain champs.

To start with I'd advise being female, so you can do Semidar. As a gargoyle Discord Thrower (in Vamp or Wraith) would allow you to do pretty much everything solo except maybe Mephisitis which I've only seen solod with certain types of Sampire or easiest done with Ninjitsu.

Think of each champion specifically, or look them up, they've been out forever so there's endless information.

Baracoon - easy just plink away with Throwing, Discord, Armor Ignore, Despair & Tribulation.
Rikktor - easy, Discord, Cold damage Despair/Tribulation, Armor Ignore.
Neira - same.
Meph - webbing is a counter attack to each damage that hits, so unless you've got strong healing while frozen, or mirror images, you'll probably die. But you will want to only use big hits, with no hit spell, and no spell songs to lessen the damage ticks that trigger the counter.
Semidar - doable.
Oaks - doable.

I wouldn't bother with any other Bard skills on champs unless you mean Ilsh champs, then Prov can be useful depending on location.

A Discord Mystic would basically be a defensive, stand there and heal while hoping your colossus kills it kind of deal. I'd rather be spamming AI and spell songs personally.

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the information. I've never seen Semidar, just looked it up. Are mystic bards good for other boss fights? I think I want to go with Mystic/Bard. Even at the expense of champ spawns. Just because its something I've never played. Also considering getting a advance or mythic token. Not sure where to put the skills first if I do. This is what I am thinking.

Mystic 100
Mage 100
Music 100
Discord 100
Focus 100
Med 100
Provo 100

Now I will take some of these to 120 just not sure on dropping what and taking what to 120. Maybe Magery to 70? After reading up on things I think Mystic/Bard is what I want unless its terribly bad at solo stuff. I run around with my brother once in awhile but 90% of the time I'm solo. I figure I can do champs with my bushido/pally or tamer so I want something I can venture into places I have not seen. Peacemaking seems like it could be handy? I'm trying to figure it out but I am shooting blind here.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you go Mystic/Bard you will basically be Discording and dropping Colossus, probably while in Stone Form. You probably won't need Med and can have 55 LMC. You'll want to 120 everything else or use items to get there. Personally I think Peace would be a waste of points on a Mystic as it's masteries are best used for regens and curing, in Stone Form you won't need that as you'll be Poison immune anyway. It's only other purpose would be to boost the effects of the other masteries, which you can only change between every 10 minutes anyway (you set the mastery book to either Provoke or Discord and can use those 2 Spellsongs, changable every 10 minutes)...

For most boss type encounters Provoke would be slightly redundant due to the lack of anything to Provoke and due to most boss types being non-Provokable... for whatever reason the devs have always neutered the game for Bards while showing endless preference for Tamers. Anyway...

If you're going to use an advanced token I would use it for Discord. I'd also work Discord up while having Med and Focus on your template and using Spellsongs when you get that high (90). Just my own preference for doing it, have done it 3x.

I would aim for 120 Music/Discord/Myst/Focus after items you could even still add in 120 wep/90 Tactics and some Chiv to that and have a powerful hybrid.

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you go Mystic/Bard you will basically be Discording and dropping Colossus, probably while in Stone Form. You probably won't need Med and can have 55 LMC. You'll want to 120 everything else or use items to get there. Personally I think Peace would be a waste of points on a Mystic as it's masteries are best used for regens and curing, in Stone Form you won't need that as you'll be Poison immune anyway. It's only other purpose would be to boost the effects of the other masteries, which you can only change between every 10 minutes anyway (you set the mastery book to either Provoke or Discord and can use those 2 Spellsongs, changable every 10 minutes)...

For most boss type encounters Provoke would be slightly redundant due to the lack of anything to Provoke and due to most boss types being non-Provokable... for whatever reason the devs have always neutered the game for Bards while showing endless preference for Tamers. Anyway...

If you're going to use an advanced token I would use it for Discord. I'd also work Discord up while having Med and Focus on your template and using Spellsongs when you get that high (90). Just my own preference for doing it, have done it 3x.

I would aim for 120 Music/Discord/Myst/Focus after items you could even still add in 120 wep/90 Tactics and some Chiv to that and have a powerful hybrid.
I agree chiv would be killer for that but the lack of healing i always go survival over damage I would go throwing tactics necro for vamp or curse Wep

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, so I used my token and have been just running around in shame getting used to the tactics of my mystic/bard. I made a human, I know gargoyle would have been a better choice but for some reason I just don't enjoy playing one. I am currently 91 in provo, discord, music, magery, mystic. Current build for training is Mage/Med/Myst/Disco/Music/Provo/Focus. I'm not much into stand here for x hours casting this over and over. I will keep my music locked at 100 until I finish up my other bard skills. Just had some questions.

1. If I go Mystic/Focus/Music/Disco to 120 and stone off Provo/Magery do I need to go with a wep/tact build or are there other options? Chiv over Magery? Why? I'm still not sure the direction to go on this character. I would like to hunt some bosses and maybe check out doom. I've never done Doom or Peerless bosses.

2. Where can I hunt while training? I do not want to just stand here and do X. I would rather train while hunting and maybe from time to time stand here and do X. I'm not on a must get this done fast or else time table. Still just enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

3. As far as tactics go, I currently have no idea! I run around provoking this monster on this monster then hail storming. RC seems to vanish a lot randomly. When it comes to the big guys, do I want my RC and disco with Tribulation? I need to work on single target tactics and I'm not sure where to get a little practice on it. Maybe UEV's or something.

4. Suit. I have a legendary craftsman. He can do anything and I also have plenty of hammer/runic kits. I'm not sure other than luck, LMC, high res. Are there certain arties that are must haves? Are there other stats on my gear that are must haves? I also may run some +skill jewels to break up the hunting spots.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Okay, so I used my token and have been just running around in shame getting used to the tactics of my mystic/bard. I made a human, I know gargoyle would have been a better choice but for some reason I just don't enjoy playing one. I am currently 91 in provo, discord, music, magery, mystic. Current build for training is Mage/Med/Myst/Disco/Music/Provo/Focus. I'm not much into stand here for x hours casting this over and over. I will keep my music locked at 100 until I finish up my other bard skills. Just had some questions.

1. If I go Mystic/Focus/Music/Disco to 120 and stone off Provo/Magery do I need to go with a wep/tact build or are there other options? Chiv over Magery? Why? I'm still not sure the direction to go on this character. I would like to hunt some bosses and maybe check out doom. I've never done Doom or Peerless bosses.

2. Where can I hunt while training? I do not want to just stand here and do X. I would rather train while hunting and maybe from time to time stand here and do X. I'm not on a must get this done fast or else time table. Still just enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

3. As far as tactics go, I currently have no idea! I run around provoking this monster on this monster then hail storming. RC seems to vanish a lot randomly. When it comes to the big guys, do I want my RC and disco with Tribulation? I need to work on single target tactics and I'm not sure where to get a little practice on it. Maybe UEV's or something.

4. Suit. I have a legendary craftsman. He can do anything and I also have plenty of hammer/runic kits. I'm not sure other than luck, LMC, high res. Are there certain arties that are must haves? Are there other stats on my gear that are must haves? I also may run some +skill jewels to break up the hunting spots.

Thanks for all the help so far!
1. This is what's called melee defense. Long story short you will need 'something' so as not to get hit 100% of the time by melee attacks. That something could be a Mage Weapon (which uses your adjusted Magery skill), Wrestling, Defensive Wrestling (which is a combination of Eval and Anatomy), Mace, Swords, Fencing, Archery, and Throwing. When something tries to hit you the game compares their weapon skill with yours and determines if you get hit or not. On foot, in Stone Form is where you're probably going to be spending a lot of your time, so you're going to want something if you ever want to attack rather than heal. Chivalry is not going to give you melee defense, it was mentioned only in terms of boosting the damage of any dexxer based element you add to the character.

Your (best) options for your remaining points are Magery + anything, or any weapon skill + Tactics. You could of course use any melee defense but for example Wresting vs Magery... Wrestling would be less useful, unless you REALLY didn't want to use a Mage Weapon, the only real benefit to doing this would be if you planed on holding a Spellbook all the time for mods or Slayers.

2. You could train in the Doom Gauntlet, or getting the keys for the Peerless you intend to do. If that seems too hard try regular demons they should be no problem on that template, test out whether you can just stand there healing yourself. Try Necro casting monsters too.

3. There is a place in Shame on the last level where you can Teleport on to one of the islands and play with the Diseased Blood Eles in relative safety. But I imagine you're Bard skills will be too low to really have fun there yet. Once you're higher you can Discord UEV's and Provoke ALL the Eles on them for some serious fun.

Single target tactics, assuming there's nothing else around to Provoke and that you're in Stone Form already, I would say your order of attack would be Discord, then Colossus, followed by Despair (set to the monsters lowest resist if you know it). If you can upkeep the mana then Tribulation, Spell Plague/Bombard (the equivalent of Energy Bolt but Physical damage)/Eagle Strike (the equivalent of Fireball but Energy damage), you could also cast Sleep or Mass Sleep repeatedly on the target to allow the Colossus to live longer. Sleep is very useful for getting monsters to change target, just thought I'd add that in case you decide not to have Magery. Also I think you should play in Protection and build your suit around it's Physical resist penalty (which off the top of my head I think will be -14 for a Human)

4. I wouldn't run + skill jewelery while training other than maybe melee defense. Aside from how you chose to play the character (meaning choices you need to make about whether you're having Magery, playing in Protection, etc.) After taking that stuff into account you should aim for all 70's, 100 LRC, 55 LMC, as much MR as you can get (Personally I go for 30), SDI will be entirely optional I personally wouldn't bother on this build, 45 DCI, stat increase, 25 HP increase, skill jewels or casting jewels depending if you want to play out of Prot/Stone Form on occasion (or figure it out to have interchangeable)

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, wow that's a lot to consider here. It's going to take me some time to sort it out. I'm thinking I will take magery up. Not sure I want another melee character. Thank you for all the help.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Good idea. I personally use a Heavy Crossbow Mage Weapon, it does great additional damage.

As the other skill (or skills if you get high +skill items) I would suggest either Provoke, Spellweaving, Poisoning, or possibly even a split between Necro and SS for Wraith Form.

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, so now I am on the fence between Archery and Tactics or Magery and Provocation. I do not have an archer. Although how would I travel and would Archery + Tactics do okay dmg without things like anatomy to boost it? I think Magery and Provocation with a mage weapon would be easier but archery would be different.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Do you already have a Provoker?

With 120 Archery, 90 Tactics, that would leave 30 points spare, if you have another 30 on items you could have 60 Chiv which is plenty. Although it would make the suit more of a challenge to build as you'd need Stamina increase, and HCI, and SSI, which would suffer from Stone Form penalty.

zombie187

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I do not have a provoker. I am going to go with Magery and Provoke using the mage weapon. Or no provoke and take all skills to 120. It would look like this...

120 Music
120 Disco
120 Magery
120 Mystic
120 Focus
100 ????

Simple but I can always change it up once I get used to the basics of the template. To much at one time leads me to doing nothing at all lol. Last slot maybe Med, Provoke, Eval? Maybe Magery to 100 and provoke to 120. Hell I don't know. If I go train some in doom any advice for someone who has never been in there?

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I do not have a provoker. I am going to go with Magery and Provoke using the mage weapon. Or no provoke and take all skills to 120. It would look like this...

120 Music
120 Disco
120 Magery
120 Mystic
120 Focus
100 ????

Simple but I can always change it up once I get used to the basics of the template. To much at one time leads me to doing nothing at all lol. Last slot maybe Med, Provoke, Eval? Maybe Magery to 100 and provoke to 120. Hell I don't know. If I go train some in doom any advice for someone who has never been in there?
You only have 700 skill points? I would suggest using the Crystalline Ring and having 120 real skill in Provoke, 100 Focus, the 20 Magery it has would take care of the Mage Weapon.

If you have Med you won't be able to build 55 LMC, as you can only do this with non med armor as far as I recall. You still could, I just don't think it's worth it.

If you're on Atlantic I'll go Doom with you if you want, I quite like messing around there.

Otherwise I would point out that the rooms lock when you go in them, and the only way out is to kill the monster or as a ghost. They activate one at a time in a clockwork fashion. So unless the Dark Father has been left up in the very center (which it normally has) then run around the rooms anti clockwise until you find the active one.

Going clockwise:
Room 1: Undead, weakest to fire
Room 2: No slayer, equally weak to cold and fire, if there are Necros in there with you then go for fire as they will be using corpse skin which puts fire down and cold up
Room 3: Demon, weakest to fire and poison
Room 4: Undead, weakest to energy
Room 5: Demon, weakest to physical, I think it has very high fire resist too
Middle of all the rooms is where the Dark Father spawns: Demon, equal resists, unless Necros are casting corpse skin (including Lich Lords that you can Provoke)... but generally unless you're the Necro I wouldn't concern yourself with it's weakest resist.

Tactics- For all monsters apart from room 2 use the Gwenno's Harp Demon/Undead slayer, for room 2 use an exceptional.
Room 1: Stone Form, Discord, set mastery book to fire, use Despair, summon Colossus, heal yourself, dispel revenants, and move from melee range, take a trap box to avoid parra
Room 2: Stone Form, Discord, Colossus, move so that the Flesh Renderer moves onto the same tile as the Colossus, this will cause it t retarget it rather than you, you could try using Sleep too but I'm not sure if they have high resist (it would be a comparison between your Focus and it's Resisting Spells), once it's attacking the Colossus stay on the tile next to it, if you move it will move and target you again. If Colossus is getting dispelled too easily use Earth Elementals (which you can also heal), when you are comfortable, you can set mastery book to cold/fire and use Despair/Tribulation, and Hail Storm if you have the mana for it. You can also Mindblast which is also cold damage and not dependent on having Eval.
Room 3: Stone Form, Discord, Colossus, set mastery book to fire/poison, Despair/Trib, and walk a few tiles ahead.
Room 4: Stone Form, Discord, Colossus or EV's (EV's may do better as their melee is energy damage and there are two of them), set mastery book to energy, Despair/Trib, Eagle Strike
Room 5: Stone Form, Discord, Colossus, set mastery book to physical, Despair/Trib, Bombard... alternatively... as this is a Necro you may want to do it mounted, the reason being it can Blood Oath and you have no Resist, and Despair will probably be doing around 100, being mounted you can run out of range quickly to end the spell song, or just be very quick on the macro ready to toggle it off (I don't personally have my spellsongs macrod)... if you do this mounted, or if you find it hard to keep up with healing you could use just Colossus, and use the Prov mastery for additional HP and healing. It would take longer this way and I find it not really necessary.

Dark Father: Discord, Colossus, Provoke it's own spawn back on it, primarily Lich Lords and Rotting Corpses, and Bone Knights. Stay mounted until you're comfortable with it. Don't hit it with any direct spells until you are very good at it, least of all on foot, because if you hit it at range it gets a speed increase and hunts you down. This is because any direct damage you throw at it, it has a chance of counter attacking by throwing bones at you, some of which will land on the floor and create Undead spawn.

Until you're very good at staying alive on this template I wouldn't reccomend using Despair or Trib, as their damage effects will cause a huge spam of counter attacks. It's perfectly possible to do it that way I even have a thread in the Bard forum somewhere doing it like that. If you are going to try using Despair/Trib, stand next to or on top of the Dark Father (while it's Provoked), and turn them off again before moving away. But again until you're good, you should probably use the Prov mastery to help you heal, and just Discord/Provoke/Colossus it to death.

Edit:
https://stratics.com/community/threads/newly-rebuilt-suit.330207/
Here is a link to doing it with a good setup and a lot of experience, using Despair/Trib. Though not a Mystic, and I had Resist at the time I think.

Last edited: