• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for participants in a WoW-Related psychology study

N

njwCSUS

Hello, my name is Nathan Wilts, and I am a psychology graduate student at California State University Sacramento. I am looking for participants in a study on the possible social and mental health impact of playing MMORPGs. Hopefully some among you should be able to help!

Participants must be current players of the game ‘World of Warcraft.’ As World of Warcraft is an exemplar of the MMORPG genre, its players would be a good choice for a study on players of MMORPGs. Participating should be fairly easy and straightforward, won’t take up too much of your time and can be completed online, and all participants will be entered in a drawing to win free pre-paid game time at the conclusion of the research study.

If you are interested, please read the informed consent document below. If you would like an additional copy of this information, you can either email me (Nathan Wilts) at [email protected], or check the GoogleDocs link below. Please be sure to read over it so you’ll know all the important information about participating!
Link to consent form on GoogleDocs – (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1YrX3ThRZpMlpBLyfe5ziLV2zjwPlos-pO2gfJ3CY_54)

If you’ve read all of the info below and would like to participate, please send an email to me [email protected] with the subject line ‘WoW study participation’, saying that you’d like to participate! I will respond to you with an ID and password which will be used to organize survey responses, and you will also receive a link to the questionnaires. Please send your email from the address you want to receive all study-related information at!

After completing your questionnaires you will shown a debriefing to explain the basis of study and your role as a participant, and you’re done! Your entry into the prize drawing will be automatic.

Thanks for your interest!

-Nathan J. Wilts

Consent to Participate in Research
By consenting to participate in this survey, you will be participating in a research project developed by Nathan J. Wilts at California State University Sacramento (CSUS) at the Department of Psychology. The purpose of the study is to investigate the mental health and social impact of gameplay for players of MMORPGs.

Procedure –
As a participant, you will be asked to fill out five short questionnaires which you should answer to the best of your ability. The first will gather some general information about you as a person and also as a player of World of Warcraft. The rest will consist of several health and social measures.

In total, this survey should take no more than 20-40 minutes of your time and will require no outside resources to complete. You are only being asked about yourself and your own feelings and behaviors.

Risks –
Risks include the possibility of mental discomfort from considering and answering the survey questions. This risk is considered minimal, and you may at any time refuse to answer or opt of your participation if you feel uncomfortable.

Benefits of participation –
You may not personally benefit from participating in this research, but resulting findings may reflect positively on MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft or its players. Such findings might also prompt future research of a similar nature.

Confidentiality –
Your specific responses to survey questions will in no way make you personally identifiable by those responses. As part of participation you will have been emailed a Personal Identification Number which you will be asked to provide along with your email at the start of the survey. This is to separate individual participant responses and prevent unscrupulous individuals from entering false or random data with another individual’s PIN number. It will also be used to contact winners of the random drawing (described below), but will not otherwise be used to identify you.

You will not be asked your name, address, phone number, or any other personally identifiable information beyond your email address. If you have a received requests for such information claiming to be from the originators of this study DO NOT REPLY. We will never ask for such information. We will only contact you to provide your PIN and survey link, to respond to inquiries, or to provide any survey-wide announcement such as notices of completion of the study.

You may at your own option request to receive additional information about results and findings once the survey is complete, but you are not required to do so nor is it necessary to be entered in the prize drawing (described below).

Compensation –
As a ‘thank you’ for participation in this survey, you will be entered in a random drawing for one of several 60-day pre-paid subscription time cards, such as the ones listed on Amazon.com. Winners will be chosen completely at random. Your responses to questions do not influence your chances of entering, but if you do not complete the survey questionnaires in their entirety, you will not be entered in the drawing.

Contact information –

If you have any questions about this research, the online survey, or any other related matter, you may contact Nathan J. Wilts by e-mail at [email protected].

N

njwCSUS

I see I've gotten quite a number of views but nowhere near that number of participants. I barely have 25 participants across all the places I've posted this study advertisement!

I really do need a good number to get a good data sample and it doesn't take all that long to complete so please, do send me an email to the address above if you are interested.

Thank you very much for your time.

N

njwCSUS

The study is still open, and I am still in need of participants if anyone is interested.

N

njwCSUS

I am still in need of participants, I have gotten very little response so far and have nowhere near enough data. I have only 40 or so across all my advertising, and I need at least 100 for a good sample. :/

N

njwCSUS

'm guessing I'll only be looking for participants for another two weeks or so, maybe three. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to email me. Just giving everyone a heads up for when the cutoff date is!

N

njwCSUS

Okay due to some delays the survey is still open. You have no more than one week from today to participate before it closes!