• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for Comments on Alternatives to 700 Strength on Cu Sidhe

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been reading the posts about needing to have 700 Strength and 370 Intelligence for maximum damage. There is a lot more to a Cu than just maximum damage though, and everyone strives to get the best bang for their buck, i.e. points, when training. One way is to get Stamina and Dexterity to 125 before point allocation. Another is high Hit points and a good Resist spread with over caps. One of the ways that I like to get the best use of points is to use point intensities to my advantage. If you set Strength to 695, you can set Intelligence to 400 and still have 150 Dexterity with the 2300 Intensity cap. This gives you slightly better Mana Regeneration, and the 5 less points in Strength is negligible in "actual fights".

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have killed thousands of Balrons in Chaos. You can show me all the formulas you want. I can tell the difference between 680 and 700 str. I can tell the difference in each melee scroll.

IMO hitting harder is the best way to make a mob lose stamina and make it miss. Intel makes soo little difference. 20 mana over 10 minutes is not doing much for you. If pets had smarter AI maybe it would matter more. Why not leave dex at 125? Pet walks slower but you can have more int.

If you wanna put 680 or whatever str. Go ahead. Don't expect to get books in the invasion when others are on the General.

A Cu does not need more than 600HP. Almost any Cu ends up with 600HP.
There are other pets like an Ossein Ram that could use more HP and trading str for HP may be an option.

Last edited:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have killed thousands of Balrons in Chaos. You can show me all the formulas you want. I can tell the difference between 680 and 700 str. I can tell the difference in each melee scroll.

IMO hitting harder is the best way to make a mob lose stamina and make it miss. Intel makes soo little difference. 20 mana over 10 minutes is not doing much for you. If pets had smarter AI maybe it would matter more. Why not leave dex at 125? Pet walks slower but you can have more int.

If you wanna put 680 or whatever str. Go ahead. Don't expect to get books in the invasion when others are on the General.

A Cu does not need more than 600HP. Almost any Cu ends up with 600HP.
There are other pets like an Ossein Ram that could use more HP and trading str for HP may be an option.
Thanks for you reply and I have a couple questions from your comments.

What formula are you referring to? I didn't show any formulas because I am not trying to show what is the best, just another way to allocate points.
Where did you get 680 from? I said 695.
Why can't I get Invasion books with less strength? I have gotten both types of Invasion books with a Cu that has 650 Strength.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a thread here with formulas. I thought you posted in it. Here

Sorry, I see too many pets without a good base. There are reasons to deviate sometimes. 695 why not just get 700.
Also we can bless our pets 700 str goes to 791. The opposite happens with many tough mobs. They can curse our pets so 700 gives more than 695 when cursed.

Were 4 to 8 others on those mages when you got the books. I specifically said others. Since they can drop 3 books. More than 3 would be others.

When we had drones on TC we could see melee damage. Khaelors WWs with > 700 str did a lot more damage than all the pets with 700 str. That formula may show diminishing returns at 680 but real UO damage numbers showed more damage when str was above 700.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't trade STR on an Ossein Ram for HP (this would be even worse than trading STR for HP on a Cu), especially considering Ossein Rams have Life Leech, and so the more damage they deal, the more they self heal. A good rating Ossein Ram can still hit 600+ HP with 700 STR.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't trade STR on an Ossein Ram for HP (this would be even worse than trading STR for HP on a Cu), especially considering Ossein Rams have Life Leech, and so the more damage they deal, the more they self heal. A good rating Ossein Ram can still hit 600+ HP with 700 STR.
Mine has Chiv so it does not have but 400HP.

Be more specific. What do you think about 700 str or < 700 for some Intel on a chiv pet. Or melee pet.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine has Chiv so it does not have but 400HP.

Be more specific. What do you think about 700 str or < 700 for some Intel on a chiv pet. Or melee pet.
My Ossein Ram has 120 Chiv+AI, and 598 Health. I just didn't plan on putting 120 Tact on him. Here's the secret with Ossein Rams (i've only told this to three other people).
Ossein Rams pair incredibly well with "Combat Training: Berserk" now. Berserk was recently stealth buffed (likely when they changed "As One's" mana cost) to activate at 50% Health, and remains active until either A) going above 50% Health, B) exiting combat, or C) pet dying. You can tell a pet is Berserk when it has the brown sparkles appearing on it. When Berserk, a pet's damage ramps up significantly, and they take a lot less damage from all sources (not just Physical, unlike Empowerment/Consume Damage). Pets also take significantly less healing while Berserk, so Vet healing, Magery/Mysticism/SW healing, HPR, and a pet's bandy healing have virtually no effect on a Berserk pet, but Life Leech bypasses this. I've seen my Ossein Ram deal 324 damage EoO AIs to Balrons while Berserk, and two shot them. Those hits also significantly healed the Ossein Ram through Berserk. Once a Berserk pet exits combat (such as killing it's only opponent), it'll have to go above 50% Health before Berserk will reactivate again.

700 STR, always. STR plays too large of a role in the damage calculations, and synergizes with so many other things (such as Chiv). STR is a consistent damage increase. Sacrificing STR for INT isn't great, especially on a Cu that may just use that little extra Mana for a crappy Bleed Attack.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PlayerSkillFTW wrote:
700 STR, always. STR plays too large of a role in the damage calculations, and synergizes with so many other things (such as Chiv). STR is a consistent damage increase. Sacrificing STR for INT isn't great, especially on a Cu that may just use that little extra Mana for a crappy Bleed Attack.

@Katrena Others write things so much better than I do. 700 STR FTW!