• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lock Picking needs a little adjustment to gains

G

I was making a new Lockpicker and was trying to do this without training on GM player made containers.. so I took note at 94.0 due to lack of funds, I had used all my extra cash on the event and insurance.. So I started working the 5th lv chest and made myself a book of thier locations. from 94.0 to 94.4 I have made 524,173 gold in two days time. but only gained .4 skill I am not complaining about the loot in the chest only that the true skill gain vs macroing should be a bit faster.. I am getting tired of picking them to be honest.. I have seen the same sort of post about poisoning but have not made a poisoner in a long time..

C

Connor_Graham

I took Lockpicking from 0-GM in 2 days. There's no adjustment needed. It's one of the easiest skills to GM now.

S

slasherofveils

satyr trick for LPing now... cart too, actually.

Before discord both were a royal freakin pancake to train. I made millions picking L3 and L4 dungeon chests, and rarely got a gain besides GGS gains raising LPing back in the day

G

I don't think an adjustment in training the skill is needed.. but damn, how annoying for my gm lockpicker to pick those paragon chests.. I broke 11 picks on a level five... yes, five.. not six... five.. paragon chest. It's just.. annoying and honestly makes the paragon chests too bothersome for most to open. I wish they'd lower the failure rate on level 5 chests at GM.

S

slasherofveils

I agree. Both 5 and 6 chests REQUIRE gm to pick.

Would be nice if the chests scaled a little better. Nuthin like hittin a run of bad luck and breaking 20 picks to get the 1k gold and a tmap out of a silly paragon chest

G

So am I right in presuming that to train old school/legit (ie without satyrs) is still going to take forever to GM LP/carto? Just curious as I've yet to train up a thunter and kinda fancy having one

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

I took Lockpicking from 0-GM in 2 days. There's no adjustment needed. It's one of the easiest skills to GM now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by hand you did not!

G

That's what irritates me - the skills have to be gained in really odd ways:

You can run around as a mage throwing difficult spells left and right (you know, playing the game) and MAYBE GM a mage one day. On the other hand:

If you eat three fish steaks, stand on one leg, macro the phrase "Thank you sir, may I have another" and cast flamestrike on your left ass cheek (not the right one, mind you), while being in the buff (or debuffed, or whatever) then you can GM it in 36 seconds.

Same with lockpicking. What's gameplay about buying 100 empty GM made crates and picking them over and over?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree. Both 5 and 6 chests REQUIRE gm to pick.

Would be nice if the chests scaled a little better. Nuthin like hittin a run of bad luck and breaking 20 picks to get the 1k gold and a tmap out of a silly paragon chest

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a tinker and burned 10k ingots into lock picks,, not a worry there. It's just that I made half a mil and only gained .4 from 5th lv chests.. that in it's self tells you something for sure.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by hand you did not!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, by hand.

G

I tried raising my thief at the THB Lockpicking house, tediously locking and picking thousands of GM chests. Not a .01 raise from 94 after 2 hours.

Went to the dungeons and picked random chests, got to 96 in the next hour.

Something is wacky about the advancement, but I found the dungeon picks raise you much faster.

C

Connor_Graham

I used a single GM made wooden box. You don't need to use multiple boxes anymore.

G

You must have missed the part about NOT wanting to use a GM made container.. Do you reply just to re-read you posts later or do you try to troll every post you see? Stay on topic ,, You change the topic and INSIST all is well.. Guess what!! You are not the only player in the UO data base. You did not do this the way I stated and the whole topic was about AVOIDING doing just what you did. Yet you toss it out there that if you did it that way we all should ST*U.

G

So...

"I chose a difficult route to train this skill, and it was difficult"?

Uh-huh...
Seriously, though. Respect to you, for choosing to train a skill through gameplay.
However, it's the long way...

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

You must have missed the part about NOT wanting to use a GM made container.. Do you reply just to re-read you posts later or do you try to troll every post you see? Stay on topic ,, You change the topic and INSIST all is well.. Guess what!! You are not the only player in the UO data base. You did not do this the way I stated and the whole topic was about AVOIDING doing just what you did. Yet you toss it out there that if you did it that way we all should ST*U.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't miss anything. Why would you not use the most sensible training method, then ask for an adjustment because you refuse to do it? You complain that you're not getting gains, yet it can easily be GM'd in 2 days using a single box.

All IS well. It's you that's being stubborn in your training methodology, and because you choose to take a much harder route, ask to have the skill training dumbed down even farther. If they adjusted it according to your request, then it could be GM'd in less than a day by using the more common method.

And to top it all off, you allude that I scripted to GM my skill, which I find rather offensive, and was totally uncalled for.

Just because YOU WON'T or CAN'T doesn't mean that it's not possible.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You can run around as a mage throwing difficult spells left and right (you know, playing the game) and MAYBE GM a mage one day. On the other hand:

If you eat three fish steaks, stand on one leg, macro the phrase "Thank you sir, may I have another" and cast flamestrike on your left ass cheek (not the right one, mind you), while being in the buff (or debuffed, or whatever) then you can GM it in 36 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I love you for this.
It's so true it's almost not funny, though.

I have been playing (actually playing, not macro-ing my way through) a mage-tamer for nearly 3 years now (was my 2nd char ever created!) and she's still only at 70something taming and 80something magery, and I probably won't GM her despite wanting to, because I can't stand the thought of spending power-hours every day just following around timber wolves and polar bears and fighting off small spawn till I gain.
And lockpicking? Let's just say there's a reason I don't have a t-hunter character, and it has something to do with time put into the character vs. rewards from GMing him/her.

G

You are a forum troll... You could have read the first post and saved your typing fingers some time, but instead you take time to crash some else's post about real time game play. Where you choose to ignore that part which the whole post is about only to add something that we are NOT talking about..
The whole idea is that that amount of time to gain from real game play is a bit slow.. not that your method is the fastest thus best and should not be allowed at all.. there's a point back at you..

C

Connor_Graham

"You are a forum troll"

And you're someone that seems to want to insult others because they disagree with you, even to the point of saying they scripted the training of a skill.

You can debate without insults. I manage to do it just fine just about every day. You should try it some time.

"You could have read the first post"

I did. Which is why I brought up the point that the skill can be GM'd in 2 days, yet you're asking for it to be made even easier.

"but instead you take time to crash some eles post about real time game play where you choose to ignore that part"

I didn't ignore it at all. You just chose to take offense that someone disagreed with you.

"The whole idea is that that amount of time to gain from real game play is a bit slow"

You're picking level 5 chests at 94 skill.

Did the thought ever occur to you that you might need to be picking level 6 chests instead of asking for the skill to be made even easier to train?

G

And where do 6th lv chests spawn?? If that was what you could have offered the first round, not toss the very point in someones face they are talking about.. Lets see I post about that I can not learn to swim well very fast with one arm.. You troll reply with I learned to swim just fine with two arms in 2 days.. DUDE WT*!! You were asking for it! You know it.

I just wanted to bring up the fact about the slow gains from real time play that was all,, You can'y disargee with that by using a quick method reply.. Has nothing to do with my post. Not only that I made mention of wanting to exclude that method in my first post which you DID choose to ignore claiming you only disagree and I lashed out.
I rather stay on topic about the issue of the game play gains not YOUR best faster Umber method.. why not use that ,, You use a method that others find distasteful but they should know they suck for not using it and don't whine if I use it. right?!?! is that it? I won't bother to reply about it again, mayhaps you did not macro who knows .. I withdraw the statement.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
<blockquote><hr>

satyr trick

[/ QUOTE ]

Old way is to train at a Lock picking house till you hit 95.5, then dungeon crawl daily getting the GGS gains, normally took couple months. Of course most folks dungeon crawl before that as there is good gold from several chests.

J

Jerry Seinfeld

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffft, NOW it is. Before they removed the anti-macro code for lockpicking was when I gm'ed it, and I'll say that was the most painful skill I've ever worked (arthritis starts kicking in after all the clicking, even if you don't have it).

I'm just happy we have skill locks these days and someone running through the bank and lighting campfires doesn't drop my skills from GM anymore due to 'shared learning' or whatever it was called.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

You are a forum troll... You could have read the first post and saved your typing fingers some time, but instead you take time to crash some else's post about real time game play. Where you choose to ignore that part which the whole post is about only to add something that we are NOT talking about..
The whole idea is that that amount of time to gain from real game play is a bit slow.. not that your method is the fastest thus best and should not be allowed at all.. there's a point back at you..

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll troll yah

what are you adding to this topic ? other than grief ?
connor was mearly letting you know the newest and alot easier method to gain the skill, yet you attack him ?

I

imported_Veganite

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll troll yah

what are you adding to this topic ? other than grief ?
connor was mearly letting you know the newest and alot easier method to gain the skill, yet you attack him ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Conners first post
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing usefull here just brag talk

Conners second post
<blockquote><hr>

Yes, by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing usefull here just brag talk

Conners 3rd post
<blockquote><hr>

I used a single GM made wooden box. You don't need to use multiple boxes anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing useful here. Not revelant to the OP as he already know about GM boxes.
That's 3 post with nothing to do with the original topic, then he just argues

G

I was thinking if they made the gains from the chest in dungeons a little higher than what you get from picking in bag/ player made boxes. Give a little to the dungeon crawler. Hell even lower the loot a bit. From what I have been getting is more than I need considering I am not gaining skill while doing it.. Fame would be nice to have as you gain the ablity to pick higher chests increase the fame.

I

imported_Willow30

I agree. I have trained 2 chars in lockpicking and did it mostly by dungeon crawling. I have tried the GM box and it works, it is just extremely boring to me.

C

Connor_Graham

"Conners first post"

Who's Conner?

"Nothing usefull here just brag talk"

Really?

Hmm..

"I took Lockpicking from 0-GM in 2 days. There's no adjustment needed. It's one of the easiest skills to GM now."

No bragging. Statement of fact pertaining to the ease of gaining in the skill, thus no need for an adjustment as requested by the title of the thread.

Or did you forget to read that part?

"Conners second post"

Again...who's Conner?

"Yes, by hand. "

Direct answer to the direct statement made by the OP:

"Not by hand you did not."

Guess you forgot to read that part too.....

"Conners 3rd post"

Wow.....this Conner guy has been busy.....

"I used a single GM made wooden box. You don't need to use multiple boxes anymore."

"Nothing useful here. Not revelant to the OP as he already know about GM boxes."

Too bad I wasn't responding to the OP or you might have been right on this one.

"That's 3 post with nothing to do with the original topic, then he just argues"

That's 3 posts that you failed to read correctly. Plus.......Arguing is done with emotional overtones. No emotions flared up here, so this would technically be debating.

That would make it:

ConnOr 3

Veganite 0

Game set and match.

*goes off to find out who this Conner guy is....*

G

<blockquote><hr>

I tried raising my thief at the THB Lockpicking house, tediously locking and picking thousands of GM chests. Not a .01 raise from 94 after 2 hours.

Went to the dungeons and picked random chests, got to 96 in the next hour.

Something is wacky about the advancement, but I found the dungeon picks raise you much faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Level 4 chests &gt; Grandmaster tinkerer boxes

Once you get close to 95 you have very little chance to gain off tinkerer boxes. Level 4 chests are like 120 skill difficulty. Lockpicking is difficulty based so you need something challenging in order to advance more quickly.

G

Then I may be picking the 3rd lv chests. The ones near the Arctic Ogre lord and the White Wyrm, Shadowlord crypts and the Rotting Corpses.. All have 500-650 Gold and magic items, gems. WHen they explode they do 25-65 damage WITH 70 fire resist. I have a few paragon chest from the event and can't pick even one so I know these are beyond my trained skill. So if this info is right I need 4th lv chest. Which are where.. or are those paragon wisps chest the lv 4 which I must train on the lv 3s. Which I want to train in game just wondering if I have over looked a real time training option.
I am not finding much info on chests and the spawns, every post I have located is about training on GM boxes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Which I want to train in game just wondering if I have over looked a real time training option.
I am not finding much info on chests and the spawns, every post I have located is about training on GM boxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try here--&gt;Dungeon Chest Guide. Full listing of all the spawning chests in game. Just go through the pages and sort out the level 4 chests to pick and you should be good to go.

G

This is about the lamest thread, ever

Connor, your first post had a tone a troll would use because you did not supply any helpful criticism or suggestions for the OP to improve his gains, it's simple as that. Your need to "keep score" in a later post only solidifies your purpose in this thread as that of a troll. You are not always like that, but in this thread, you have an agenda for some reason.

Anyway, as Connor noted, lockpicking is a very easy skill to train, especially if you use a satyr, and I don't consider it a trick until they remove them from the game or change the way discord lasts. As it is now, discord lasts as long as you stay in range of the creature that has discorded you. So all you do is bring a confusion potion to Twisted Weald, attack a Satyr, use the potion, and alt-click (auto-follow) the Satyr. I finished my skill from 92.1-100, at the screen, in a matter of hours. I think 0-100 took me maybe 9 hours of gameplay, over three or four days. Making the lockpicks took the most time. Here is how I gained:

000-031 buy from a Thieves Guildmaster
030-050 use a GM carp with 20 human bonus from tinker (20 skill chests) to make maybe 10-20 locked chests (the small orange ones). uoa preferable! record macro of unlocking and locking, and to make it easier, make a key ring with tinkering, and put all the keys from the chests on the keyring (so you can use one object to unlock/lock chests).
050-070 use 50 tinkering-level boxes. there are public lockpicking houses available on many shards
070-077 use a 60 tinkering level box set, if available, or else continue on 50-tink boxes
077-091.9 find a paragon chest from a cyclops warrior. stop at 91.9 because at 92 you will open it. make a UO macro (last object, last target)
091.9-100 get discorded by a satyr in twisted weald and use cyclops warrior chest until GM

G

Wonderful info..
I still stick to my guns about being able to gain from dungeon crawling and NOT haning to find a 'trick" to train it. Please understand as a 10 year vet I COULD train that way and know many tricks too. Your post was the most informative reply yet. But the fact is that USING the skill and gaining from USING it in real time play and not force feeding it are the main issue I wanted to bring up. If the ablity to use GM chest over the were not in question then mayhaps we could get beyond that being the only point other than my own being discussed.
I am not asking for more gain faster really, just better gains from Dungeon chest Vs GM chests I guess.

G

From 94-96.5 I was in Moonglow, Fel and went to the smith area between the bank and stables and picked the gold box in there. I never picked it till the end and I gained quickly.