• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Local EMs?

F

Fink

There's some debate on UHall as to whether or not the Oceania EM's should actually be from Oceania (due to issues like timezones, lag, etc) rather than from a foreign shard.

I was wondering how Oceania feels about it. Do you think a local would be biased as some have suggested? Do you know of anyone you'd trust to be fair toward everyone? Can you see any other issues stemming from having local EMs? Or possible benefits for the shard?

I know a handful of people who've applied for the job and I think any one of them would be terrific.

L

Lady_Kat

As a previously avid event supporter, I personally think it would be a bit of a shame if our new EM(s) were unfamiliar with the history of our shard… We did have a lot of quality, original events in our time.
Not to mention the sheer frustration I would expect most international EMs would experience having to be on, running an event at some ungodly hour. Or the frustration we ourselves would endure attending events set to a foreign schedule.
I also believe that regardless of if the EM were a member of the Oceania community or an outsider, eventually opinions would be formed of the player base, we would just have to trust that their opinions/actions are kept free from prejudice.
Despite who ever is appointed, I’m sure they will not be able to please everyone.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the people who I know have applied, I'd be happy with any of them and trust them to be unbiased. However if it's Sienna again, I would be pretty unhappy.

I don't think anyone has to worry about blatant bias except maybe SSO.

S

siyeng0

I’ve already been sufficiently verbose about this over on UHall. So I’ll keep it short.*

1) A foreign EM will be too busy sleeping to attend to Oceania.
2) Even if they’re not, disillusionment will set in almost as soon as they start working because nobody likes being sleep-deprived.
3) Besides, they’ll be eaten by lag.
4) I know of a bunch of people from this shard that have applied, and I can’t think of a single one who would risk losing their position by demonstrating bias, or who would be untrustworthy in the role.
5) No, not even against SSO!

And that’s all I have to say.

*I’m capable of being succinct sometimes; it just frustrates and angers me to do so.

T

Teeshy

I can think of a few people I *hope* have applied, and am 99.9% sure they would be unbiased =)

I really think that it would be better for Oceania if the EM was chosen from people who are "local" to our timezones etc.

I also believe that regardless of if the EM were a member of the Oceania community or an outsider, eventually opinions would be formed of the player base, we would just have to trust that their opinions/actions are kept free from prejudice.
Despite who ever is appointed, I’m sure they will not be able to please everyone.
That's true enough too =) I hope that whoever is chosen is thick skinned enough to deal with the whining that is BOUND to happen =P

Do EM's have a "secret identity"? Would we know who it was that was chosen?

Sounds like it would be a fun job to do =)

O

Ovrkill

knowing what most of you are like, and who you all are, you got to be kidding me right ?

having someone from oceania as an em for oceania would be so biased and corrupt it wouldnt be funny.

There are planty of people who live in the oceania area who dont play on oceania.... it should be one of them, not someone from oceania... IMHO

J

JHoward

I feel it should be me with my vast experiance in all fields of life inside and outside uo...and ive recently retired from a full time career so have lots of time on my hands :eyes:

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel it should be me with my vast experiance in all fields of life inside and outside uo...and ive recently retired from a full time career so have lots of time on my hands :eyes:
Yeah, but you're also really bad at roleplaying former prime-ministers.

T

Teeshy

knowing what most of you are like, and who you all are, you got to be kidding me right ?

having someone from oceania as an em for oceania would be so biased and corrupt it wouldnt be funny.

There are planty of people who live in the oceania area who dont play on oceania.... it should be one of them, not someone from oceania... IMHO
I realise I don't know the people on our shard as well as you apparently do/seem to, but I don't think that everyone is like that. It *is* quite possible to keep seperate a fleeting annoyance at someone's posts on a message board, and your attitude toward them in other situations =)

P

PM_KRudd

Ya know,

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Oceania's history by righting the wrongs of the past and by doing so moving forward with confidence to the future. Its all about getting the balance right.

The Oceanian people have decided that we, as a shard, will move forward - to plan for the future, to prepare for the future, to embrace the future, and together, as Australians, to unite and write a new page in our shard's history, to make this great shard of ours, Oceania, even greater.

If last years little bit of life experience taught you anything, it should be that the Australian people have had enough of your little escapades. They have looked to me and my many plans for Australia's future because they know the buck will stop with me.

You, after 11 years in office, have lost touch, Mr. Howard.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So their bring back EM's huh? Might even get me to log back in again. As to the topic, idealy it should be someone who doesnt play the shard but is in the Oce area for time reasons. I feel GM's should be the same, as should mods on these forums.