• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let's Talk About Multi-Shard Madness!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a number of years now, I've been on a quest to train and equip a small group of characters on every shard in the game. It's taking me a long time to do it and I'm nowhere close to being finished. And the amount of gold I've managed to collect during the process is....skimpy at best. (I've successfully resisted the urge in the last five years or so to buy gold from a broker to make the process easier. I try to make my characters each as self-sufficient for their skill set as possible.) However, for the most part it's been a lot of fun and I've met some really super people along the way!

So, I thought it might be interesting and maybe inspirational to find out how things are going for all the other crazy people who play UO on multiple shards, even when they don't have homes on all those shards. I know you people are out there because several of my guildmates are just as nuts as I am, and maybe more so, about TOTAL SHARD DOMINATION!!! :) (Yes, I've probably had too much caffeine this morning already.) I'm pretty sure Tazar is a multi-sharder; Petra has characters on multiple shards; MalagAste does; Pfloyd does; and Lady Storm certainly does. So who else does and wants to talk about it?!?

Just to show where things stand for me at the moment, I made a screen shot of one of the summary pages in my massive spreadsheet that I use for keeping track of my main playable characters. This doesn't show all of my finished or developing characters, by any means. However, it does help me see where I stand on each shard in terms of having characters with what I consider the basic skills that help me be semi-self-sufficient on a shard. I can look at this sheet and get an idea of where to focus my training efforts next, where to maybe build a house, etc. I'm curious to know if other people do something similar or how they decide which shard to work on next or do they try to hit every shard every week or something like that.

So, here's your chance to talk about UO multi-shard madness and how hard it's taken a bite out of you and whether you think it's been a good thing for you or if you wish you'd never succumbed and just limited yourself to one shard.

characters snapshot.jpg

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have chars on quite a few shards: Sonoma, Baja, Pac, Atl, Great Lakes, Asuka, Hokuto & Formosa. I only have homes on my main shard of Sonoma, the others I live out of my bank. Most of the shards I have chars on I also have shard shields for so it hasn't been too hard to complete chars there. These chars range from pvm, pvp, mule, thief, bard and thunters. I love being able to play different styles on different shards. :)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, the sheer amount of tamers and their skill (15 are elder or higher) is completely insane! (don't get me wrong, that's no insult, more like a compliment, sort of ;)). I have a legendary tamer on DF and I would never ever train another tamer again. Taming is by far the most boring and tedious skill to train in the whole game. (I have to admit, that somewhere inbetween 109-111, I started to train only with SoA & GGS. Up to legendary.)

Nevertheless, I have just two main shards (the european ones). Other shards do not interest me, mostly ping-wise (although east coast shards have quite some acceptable ping too, about 100-200). I have 6 chars on Europe and 7 on DF and the only template, I have on both shards, is the mystic mage, well not exactly the same, on DF he has imbuing & inscription and on europe I have focus & SW instead. Other than this, all chars on these two realms have different templates. I usually just play a few months per year and depending in which mood I am (character-wise), it's either a month on europe or a month on DF. Housing is also a factor here, because I don't want to live out of the bank box and we can only place one house. And yeah, at the end of the month I remove the house again (I have absolutely no interest in decorating and the house serves just one single purpose: serving as hub for all my chars and a little bit or organized storage).

Don't know, if that counts as multi-sharding...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am on Legends and Legends only. :p
And that shall remain like that till they shut Legends down. And with her, my accounts will go as well.

I am sure that there are many nice, fun people at other shards, but I am committed to my small, cozy Shard (which also usually sports 190ms ping, the lowest of the list!) and shall remain there. :)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have known you on many shards Tina... bet you didnt know that....
The list of shards i play on is a tad longer then the list of ones I have homes on....
Lets See there is Origin, Pac, Sonoma, Baja Legends, LAke A, Napa, Atl., Lake Sup, GL, Chessy, Cats ,Siege, Izumo, Balhea,Sakura, hokuto,Europa....
Now that dosent mean i dont have chars on the others its just that i have not had the time to work on a good group there..
Homes and all is just a bit smaller as i have been dropping a few keeps here and there to shut down more accounts.... though a friend is trying to talk me into taking her castle on one shard so she can move to another...

I have found many great people around the UO shards, made alot of good friends too. Over the years I have loved the game for bringing me to far off lands and meeting their people... its the one reason I have been vocal for the Dev to allow a second house for the 1 house accounts. Even a 7x7 with a upgrade on the storage capasity would do nicely for allowing the other wanderers to explore our great game.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oh man..... i dont know if i wanna say this out loud or not.... people dont know how deep the sickness is......

ok, guess ill play.

on all North American shards.... all of them; 21 fully developed characters (3 accounts) with at least one tamer on each account per shard. these characters are all fully done and outfitted, scrolled up ect ect ect.
so thats every north American shard. so thats like 1 of each template at least per shard.
typically one super mule with 120 imbuing/smithing/tailoring then another mule with LJ and carpentry and bowcraft.
then of course the 3 tamers. one per account.
one disco tamer.
one archer tamer.
one stealth tamer.
then each account needs a warrior.
so a macer on one.
a pvp nox fencer on another.
a sword/archer on another.
gotta have a stealth archer in there too, they can be fun.
then of course thieves, need a couple of those.
and a trap remover for factions, gotta have one per shard.
and, wait for it..... need a Bard.

then there are what i consider the 3 European shards (Europa, Drachs and Oceana((i know, not european)))
and im the same there, 21 fully developed characters, suits and scrolled out.

then we go over to Korea and Japanese shards.
i started by making 1 mage on my main account on every shard there.
then i went back and made one mage PER account, so 3 mages per shard.
then that was done i went back and made a disco tamer on every shard.
finished that, got bored again so now im making mules on every shard so i can make anything should i ever need it..... and i have them all done now except one shard, and im gonna leave the tamer and mules for that shard as a treat for next winter.

so ya.
thats where im sitting now.

oh, thats not counting my extra 3 accounts that ive been given from people i know who have quit over the years.
originally i didnt do anything with these account other then put houses on them.
then i got bored.
started putting a character here... and then another.
so i havnt gone out and counted, but 2 of the 3 accounts are pretty much full..... every north American shard.

i know.
I KNOW!
it sounds bad when you look at that all, but remember this was over 16.5 years.
and really, thats like 1 character per week or something like that.
and once you get down how to power game it goes FAST.
take making a mage for instance.
start a new character in haven, work up necro and ss, fast, 12 hours maybe.
then go into lich form with a dark wisp and work up magic, goes a lot faster with all that mana regen.
then start stoning the magic off and work it up again, and again, and again, in like 2-3 days you can work up magic and eval for all the characters that need magic on that account.
anyways, i wont bore you guys with other skills, but they are all easy once youve done them a couple times.

DONT JUDGE ME!
buggers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Poo you've always been my hero!

Good luck Tina!

I have multiple characters on Multiple accounts most of them just get stuff for me and to cross shard trade.

It's been my "Goal" to have at least ONE fully functional mage/Tamer on EVERY shard (not there yet).

However I get highly distracted by things like Being Governor of Yew, being the Knight of Lore of Newcastle Township and in the Royal Spies(EMs love them!)... RPing never stop that!

PvPing.... Yes I still do that.

And any number of projects like customizing and decoing for folk..... I must have over 100 homes that I have personally built or deco'd around on several shards. This is my true love in UO right behind RP.

So I've been sidetracked a bit.... but I'm getting there. Ever so slowly.

I also want to have a shard shield to EVERY shard.... that'll take me approx. 2 more years give or take a few months or so and if they come up with a good NEW thing to covet in the next couple years that might slow me down a bit but I figure roughly 2 years to get the rest of the shard shields.

I once knew a couple who made a game out of creating characters in UO. They had 2 accounts and each one would start on the same shard like Atlantic and would create a 7xGM (As at the time that's all you could have.... Tamer, Bard, Crafter, Dexer and Thunter/fisher on each shard.... Just to see who could do it first. I have no idea if they ever finished or came back and redid any of their challenges now that things have changed some and we have 7 char per shard not 5 ..... but yeah....... they were quite the couple.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
poo you ruined it for everyone else lol, should have posted yours last :eek:)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
For a number of years now, I've been on a quest to train and equip a small group of characters on every shard in the game. It's taking me a long time to do it and I'm nowhere close to being finished. And the amount of gold I've managed to collect during the process is....skimpy at best. (I've successfully resisted the urge in the last five years or so to buy gold from a broker to make the process easier. I try to make my characters each as self-sufficient for their skill set as possible.) However, for the most part it's been a lot of fun and I've met some really super people along the way!

So, I thought it might be interesting and maybe inspirational to find out how things are going for all the other crazy people who play UO on multiple shards, even when they don't have homes on all those shards. I know you people are out there because several of my guildmates are just as nuts as I am, and maybe more so, about TOTAL SHARD DOMINATION!!! :) (Yes, I've probably had too much caffeine this morning already.) I'm pretty sure Tazar is a multi-sharder; Petra has characters on multiple shards; MalagAste does; Pfloyd does; and Lady Storm certainly does. So who else does and wants to talk about it?!?

Just to show where things stand for me at the moment, I made a screen shot of one of the summary pages in my massive spreadsheet that I use for keeping track of my main playable characters. This doesn't show all of my finished or developing characters, by any means. However, it does help me see where I stand on each shard in terms of having characters with what I consider the basic skills that help me be semi-self-sufficient on a shard. I can look at this sheet and get an idea of where to focus my training efforts next, where to maybe build a house, etc. I'm curious to know if other people do something similar or how they decide which shard to work on next or do they try to hit every shard every week or something like that.

So, here's your chance to talk about UO multi-shard madness and how hard it's taken a bite out of you and whether you think it's been a good thing for you or if you wish you'd never succumbed and just limited yourself to one shard.
oh, see i could have skipped my whole post, Tina had me listed right there in her initial post.
and id like to point out to the court that Tina Small is the one that placed houses on all the shards for the guild, at one time she had a house on pretty much every shard, so really its HER fault this all happened..... shes my enabler when it comes to character development.

oh, and i forgot to mention siege.
i have all my guys on siege done, my main account has about half the skills available on soulstones so i can switch around templates.
not as bad as what i have on Sonoma with ALL the skills available on soulstones, its like a mini sonoma.... the diet coke of sonoma.

ok, back into the darkness i go.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo
dear Poo
Uo is the illness that keeps us sane..in a wildly havoc filled world.
Without some outlet for human kind we tend to mull fate and become ill with the pressure life gives us. UO is that one bastion of good clean mind clearing fun... it can take time off the clock,pain off the body and even inner peace.

You are one with the rest of us......

Love Mom

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have characters on quite a few shards, but mostly just play on one shard because of housing, I can't pass up a good deal and so i tend to hoard.... :/

Tina....
You said your accumulated Gold was skimpy, but the fact that you have over a million in Gold on many shards determined that was a lie...
;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Working chars on several shards, the lazy way tho. On the home shard, I' stone off anatomy from one char, mage from another, etc etc. Make two full sets of armor for each char im gonna work, runebooks marked, full spellbooks, weapons and supplies for the non mages. Buy as many PS as I can for them, and send it all to the new shard to start building from. This way the home chars are a bit weaker, but work back up really quick. And the new shard chars have a leg up on developing. Seems a lot of my acquaintances are doing the same nowdays - gotta keep up with the Jones' ;)

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo, you crack me up man. Kudos to you, that is very impressive. I roll on two main accounts and a third householder account. I'm fully outfitted and scrolled on GL (home...started there and will remain there as my main shard 'till they pull the plugs) with almost all characters scrolled to change templates in a heartbeat. I'm also pretty much scrolled and outfitted on Atlantic, and Lake Austin. I am currently working up characters on Lake Superior and Chessy, since I am a few short months from shard shields on my main account. I am just kinda preparing characters to receive scrolls, soulstones and such on LS and Chessy, as I will be moving characters with resources to those shards when I reach my birthday. Still debating between Pac, Europa, and a couple other shards with my other shield selections. It has been fun to start characters and work them up with absolutely NOTHING on the other shards. I have asked for nothing in general chat. I have a thrower on LS that is almost 5 times GM, with 90 healing. I've done it with no armor, jewelry or anything. Just NPC bought weapons and a LOT of luck. I've died once getting him to that point. Only one time. It's been a LOT of fun, and when I get my shields he will be fully outfitted and scrolled in about thirty seconds. Yet playing him like that has taught me more about the template than I could ever get on my main shards.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 19229
Girl, you crazy. :p

Hehe. Well, I envy all the tamers. Mages are pretty easy to build and that's all I have.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the UO world tour for me

Last edited: