• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets Put an End to This - Thieves Are Not Important

W

wee papa smurf

How about this, when Factions shard comes back up we'll have a little game. I'll get together some people and guard some sigils. Whoever wants to try and sneak in and steal them for about an hour can try. You win if you get 2 or more sigils out.

Just need to set a day and time.
OMG count me in!! :stretcher: :stretcher: :stretcher: :stretcher:

L

Lord Strahd

I dont agree that thieves are important. Its because owning towns dont realy mean anything, unless you want a faction horse. Past this one tiny thing....whats the point?

I think sigil stealing is unterly boring, its worse than draggin ore around and definately means less.

As a matter of a fact, I was talking to tinks the other day just standing there holding a sigil. There realy was no urgency about the whole matter, who cares right?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Though there are two initial issues that jump out with running a challenge on test shard....

1) Test shard allows people to set detect and tracking by lowering other skills and so with that exploit the real effectiveness of a skilled thief like Tinkz, Papa, Balor, Grace, Talos, Poo and Nonel just name a few....
So you are only great if the enemy doesn't have detectors? We used to have detectors running the entire time we were guarding. I won't be changing my skills around, but I am going to have at least 1 dedicated account detecting.

2) Bases are huge; thieves that log inside will be a huge problem.
This won't be a problem. Log on wherever you want. There are going to be so many candelabras on the ground you won't get near the sigil posts.

L

Lord Strahd

Great maybe during the fight we can throw the candlebras at each other just like they do in real wars....wait why is there candlebras?

Maybe they should take out the ability to throw stuff on the floors in faction strongholds, and fix the game so that ******** stuff like this isnt needed.

C

Cloak&Dagger

So you are only great if the enemy doesn't have detectors? We used to have detectors running the entire time we were guarding. I won't be changing my skills around, but I am going to have at least 1 dedicated account detecting.

This won't be a problem. Log on wherever you want. There are going to be so many candelabras on the ground you won't get near the sigil posts.
"use to" JC "USE TO" not currently do, this was the point he was making. He was saying everyone of the defenders should not be equipping detection skills, even more so should not be setting them and then in the midst of the fight change them to something useful.

Also, currently in your faction waring, how many members of your guild (or should I say guilds?) actually run with detecting skills? For comparison, I understand maybe some do, for ninja skills effectiveness, but I highly doubt it is many if any.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"use to" JC "USE TO" not currently do, this was the point he was making
I don't know what type of guarding people do today. But if I am going to guard sigils I'm going to do it right. At least 2 characters running detect hidden, gas traps, candelabras around sigils and a huge line at entrance. Finishing with one guy casting Earthquake at sigil pedestals.

I'm not going to do anything extreme like fill 1,000 stone boxes. That would be over the top.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok the dream thief team would be: Nonel, Tinkz, Papa, Meridoc, yourallabunch of fish, Annie, Talos, Michel, Twilight Dusk, Dilgf and I dig holes, Satanic Angel and the COM thief (I can't remember his name), poo and me, from Great Lakes. What do you think Lore?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok the dream thief team would be: Nonel, Tinkz, Papa, Meridoc, yourallabunch of fish, Annie, Talos, Michel, Twilight Dusk, Dilgf and I dig holes, Satanic Angel and the COM thief (I can't remember his name), poo and me, from Great Lakes. What do you think Lore?
If you think you're going to be able to pull this off and need someone to sit on the test shard and just make piles and piles of armor, give me a shout. Unfortunately, if they don't give us the ability to put stuff in houses, it'll all have to be stashed on a bunch of boats or something.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bases are so exploitable by z axis all I'd have to do is replace tinkering for 100 magery. Itd be fun to try anyways before I get the accounts stripped completely down and sold.

Also, he used tinkering for lockpicks because thats how you used to have to train stealing out of chests. You were continuously breaking the damn things.
Some of the craftier thieves would also run with some swordsmanship and craft themselves a hatchet etc in the earlier fel ruleset.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since no one got it, Tinkering was used to make golems. You would stealth into an enemy base and quickly craft 4 golems. You could either kill a bunch of people guarding or used the chaos to try and get out with a sigil. It was like being a one man army.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since no one got it, Tinkering was used to make golems. You would stealth into an enemy base and quickly craft 4 golems. You could either kill a bunch of people guarding or used the chaos to try and get out with a sigil. It was like being a one man army.

You would be one of the few then.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suppose the defense force will be fully concentrated on catching the thieves?

That would never work on a prodo shard...but it sounds like a fun challenge.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont agree that thieves are important. Its because owning towns dont realy mean anything, unless you want a faction horse. Past this one tiny thing....whats the point?

I think sigil stealing is unterly boring, its worse than draggin ore around and definately means less.

As a matter of a fact, I was talking to tinks the other day just standing there holding a sigil. There realy was no urgency about the whole matter, who cares right?
HAHAHAH...that was on TEST CENTER! Nothing matters or counts on test center. If that would have been GL I would have said, stand there exposed I and I kill you and take the sig to base myself.... :p

L

Lord Strahd

If you say so Tinks...

On Chessy its no different than that, only there would be no one for me to be shooting the bull with at the faction base. So I guess you could say its worse.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you say so Tinks...

On Chessy its no different than that, only there would be no one for me to be shooting the bull with at the faction base. So I guess you could say its worse.
Come play on GL for a while. We had a FUN guard today... held for a fair amount of time before they broke through and have spent the rest of the day playing cat and mouse with SL and Minax, thieves, pvpers, etc. I am sorry Chessy is dead ...what faction are you in? Maybe I bring my Sonoma girls over there and stir things up a bit ;)

L

Lord Strahd

I appreciate that Tinks, I realy do! :thumbup1:

However, that would only be a short duration fix to a much larger problem. I'm not going to bash my head on the wall, waiting for it to become fun.

I'll just keep on getting involved on Factions Test and hopefully something will happen soon.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tinkering on your thief?? Were you a Grandmaster Golem healer?
I deserve at least partial credit :),

Grace that looks like a heck of a team to me... Can't forget Tracker Smurf, among the toughest thieves I had to work against and an awesome person to work with.

Bo Hunter's thief was always a pain as well.

Of course there are some legendary thieves of GL's past that occasionally come back to the scene.... Rolo, Hudson Hawk, Kleptofrost (Perma's father), and prob a 100 more I am forgetting right now.

How long does JC have to hold the sigils... 10 hours :), I am not sure he will have all 8 for more then 10 minutes. I look forward to watching this contest play out.

What is that old faction expression, "If you can't take the HEAT stay out of the sig room"

-Lore

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course there are some legendary thieves of GL's past that occasionally come back to the scene.... Rolo, Hudson Hawk, Kleptofrost (Perma's father), and prob a 100 more I am forgetting right now.

How long does JC have to hold the sigils... 10 hours , I am not sure he will have all 8 for more then 10 minutes. I look forward to watching this contest play out.
Don't forget about remat and goldfish.

I dont think Factions TC corruption timer is 10 hours. They corrupted them a few hours after the shard was up.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget about remat and goldfish.

I dont think Factions TC corruption timer is 10 hours. They corrupted them a few hours after the shard was up.
I unfortunately never had the pleasure to run with those thieves you and Lore spoke of......although I have heard many stories about them :). I hope we can get everyone on for this challenge :) should be an exciting and fun time for us!

W

wee papa smurf

Grace that looks like a heck of a team to me... Can't forget Tracker Smurf, among the toughest thieves I had to work against and an awesome person to work with.
:grouphug:

I so cant wait for the challenge! :lol:

Just wish they would get TC back up and running so i can make me some good armour for the raids :shots:

W

wee papa smurf

I suppose the defense force will be fully concentrated on catching the thieves?

That would never work on a prodo shard...but it sounds like a fun challenge.
Dont say that!! I've had 90% of a defence looking for me and still get out with a sig lol

K

Kylas

Every time faction discussion takes place, it seems there is a very vocal group exclaiming how vital thieves are.
Thieves are vital. They play a very important role. It's not enough to just bash yourself into a base. Your assault has to be balanced with the ability to get a fragile character into the enemy base alive and out of stat!

Back in the day there where many times we'd lose a base but keep our sigils because we stomped their only theif before he could get inside. Sometimes the thief was the only tool to save a sigil thats about to corrupt.

I lost count of how many times I pulled off a last minute snatch and run while someone played decoy.

Dig

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your assault has to be balanced with the ability to get a fragile character into the enemy base alive and out of stat!
Or you could play it smart. Kill all the enemies first, then bring in the character with stealing. If you have a thief in your main attack force you are doing it wrong.

V

Vaen Swiftar

Why not just do this, then:

Make the sigil posts attackable. Destroy them and get the sigil (they'll have like, 300 health, and regen at, say, 5/second). Or you can steal the sigil the old fashion way.

This way everyone wins.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
REAL THIEFS?????

".......Real thieves get offended when people bring up stealing from crates and Doom artifacts. So much so they had to separate them into 2 forums on Stratics. Stealing a sigil is no different than stealing from a crate."

The thread was split because of the same elitist mumbo jumbo you are sheling out, it has NOTHING to do with what a REAL THIEF thinks.

As for thiefs and factions if you dont think they should play a part you're nutz.

M

MichelNOTmichael

So, lets say they change it so melee chars can destory a sig post and attain the sigil.... The only thing that accomplishes is removing the need of a thief in factions. Thus less people in factions. I think the point is to increase the number of factioners. The new bases, like them or not are comming and unless the Devs want them to be empty then faction insentives need an upgrade.
If 2 simple things were changed, I think it could ressurect what factions once were.
1) INSENTIVE to own sigils. People will guard if given a reason to control towns such as a factions champ spawn that can be done if your side owns a town, or a half a million other good ideas I have heard thrown out.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1626261#post1626261
(Maybe new faction vendors with point tithe or turn-ins like silver for relic frags...? just a thought...)
2) REMOVE EFIELD STACKING - Being able to set up a robot fielder that can stack 15 efileds on top of eachother and keep it looping is stupid. In fact I proved that point recently on great lakes by guarding SL base pretty much solo simply by stacking efields over a staircase on a high enough plane that they could not be dispelled from below... I never took damage that entire guard. I actually was pissed off that it worked and havent been guarding since. Efielding up in a base did need fixing and im glad they did that, however the stacking is the next fix they must consider.

Give factioners a better reason to defend, and make it more difficult than hiding behind an efield. :stretcher:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, lets say they change it so melee chars can destory a sig post and attain the sigil.... The only thing that accomplishes is removing the need of a thief in factions. Thus less people in factions. I think the point is to increase the number of factioners. The new bases, like them or not are comming and unless the Devs want them to be empty then faction insentives need an upgrade.
If 2 simple things were changed, I think it could ressurect what factions once were.
1) INSENTIVE to own sigils. People will guard if given a reason to control towns such as a factions champ spawn that can be done if your side owns a town, or a half a million other good ideas I have heard thrown out.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1626261#post1626261
(Maybe new faction vendors with point tithe or turn-ins like silver for relic frags...? just a thought...)
2) REMOVE EFIELD STACKING - Being able to set up a robot fielder that can stack 15 efileds on top of eachother and keep it looping is stupid. In fact I proved that point recently on great lakes by guarding SL base pretty much solo simply by stacking efields over a staircase on a high enough plane that they could not be dispelled from below... I never took damage that entire guard. I actually was pissed off that it worked and havent been guarding since. Efielding up in a base did need fixing and im glad they did that, however the stacking is the next fix they must consider.

Give factioners a better reason to defend, and make it more difficult than hiding behind an efield. :stretcher:
You and me Michel, lets cuddle.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So did this ever go down?

I figure the thiefs would win. I've fought against JC and his HEAT minions. Granted I only played Atlantic for a month or two, I wasn't impressed with their pvp "skills" at all.

Be interesting to know the outcome of this.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be difficult to drum up interest in doing this when the developers have completely dropped their faction discussion and changes.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Factions have never been ruined by stealth or stealing until ninja was introduced.. even then the only things that need to be tweaked is animal form and smoke bombs..

Stop exaggerating ****...
I agree with this. In my opinion this is the case for almost all the problems in UO. Things have gotten out of hand and nobody ever bothered to address them. Now we have a mountain to climb (hopefull the new team is up to climbing them).

You have to realize that part of the reason stealing is an "inconvenience" to faction templates is because UO ruined the majority of PvP templates with the advent of AoS. You could compete with very little combat related skills...a good friend of mine had fencing, tactics, anatomy, resist, and bard related skills. He could compete with anybody on the playing field. Try doing that now.

Factions were broken back then, they are a disaster now. Disagree? Go look at the kill charts.