• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Legendary Smith Gain log

G

Wow thanks a bunch Setnaffa great idea. Maybe someone could tryout some of the new craftables. Im going to try the royal circlet from 101.1 to 120 with GM mining and see what i get. Other good ideas are

Platemail Hiro Sode / 80 Skill / 16 Ingots
Radiant Scimitar / 75 Skill / 15 Ingots
and of course
Royal Circlet / 70 skill / 6 Ingots

I think circle is the best all the way threw but maybe Hiro or scimitar would be better at certain time. Im just glad i wont have to get 100 something ingot anymore. YEAH!

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the Royal Circlet takes less than half the ingots of the Hiro or Scimitar, I'd be willing to bet a lower ingot count would be required to go from 100 to 120 if all you made was the Circlets. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone will test it.

I went from 100 to 110 using less than 30K ingots on my latest Smith making nothing but royal circlets (he has GM Mining). I'll let you know his final count when he finishes.

Update: It took him about 75,000 ingots from GM to 120 with 105 mining skill. He stalled a couple times, but he finished making nothing but royal circlets from 100 to 120. It took me about (I'm estimating) 15 hours; 1-4 hours a day for a week. I expected a lower ingot count compared to my Smith who took about 70K from 100 to 120 with only 55 mining.

S

sekkho

This guide worked for me...

Gorgets to 105 was a bit of a drag, but as soon as the gloves hit. The gains were quick all the way to 118.5 (where I am right now). I never smelted any gloves, I always sold the gloves.

I purchased ingots from 6gp-9gp each. Each time I spent 400k on ingots, I got a return of almost 100k in profits... and this was training the skill! Who would have thought I could actually make money while training smithing.

Recommended guide to anyone! By the time you finish training you would have recovered the money for the 120 pscroll! (at least I did)

G

Has anyone looked into the potential for increasing the profit on sell back by using an "exceptional increase chance" talisman? I have one that adds 15% chance for exceptional without any smithing bonus.

M

MaverickOceania

Circlets are good for gain and they also use less ingots but u cannnot sell them, wut u do with them.

Forot one thing to mention, I have differnt chars for Mining and Smithing.

Smith is a pure crafter<smith, tailor, alchemist, bowcrafting, carpaintor, Cook and lil bit of magery>

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Circlets are good for gain and they also use less ingots but u cannnot sell them, wut u do with them.

Forot one thing to mention, I have differnt chars for Mining and Smithing.

Smith is a pure crafter&lt;smith, tailor, alchemist, bowcrafting, carpaintor, Cook and lil bit of magery&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

For training purposes, you should use a Soulstone to move mining and smithing to the same character.

D

derealcanuckeh

its been said but I figured I would share my progress with you.

I was already at GM when I started as this account was GM when I left.

from Gm to 120 I made nothing but royal circlets I had on a 24% excep 13% regular bonus tali on I did gain from a couple of repairs and a couple of enhancments but other then that circlets all the way I used a total of 21658 k of iron ingots smelting all the way with gm mining and +5 gloves on.

120 baby BOO YAA

S

smg6228

I'm at 93 or so and am having a terrible time gaining. I'm approximating that my gains are about 0.2/1000 ingots (including smelting ~99 mining) when exclusively banging out royal circlets. Gorgets and Gloves are even worse.

Is this just a 'wall' and does it get better? Spending an hour or two of my limited game-time each day for 0.1 to 0.2 in gains isn't my idea of a good time, but I'd like to get to Elder, at least.

A

ariesgeek

Ok, so lotsa talk on the subject, but there doesn't seem to be a firm post about it... I'm on a limited budget. This means I mine my own ingots, not buy them. GM Miner. In other words, I need to find the most efficient way to 120.

I'm at about 96 or 97 now. So... to get to Legendary the most efficient way. I start making circlets now, then at about 110 move to royal circlets? Sound about right?

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics Blacksmithy Page
Plug in your current skill on this page, toggle on "sort by skill", and hit 'update'
Do this regularly as you progress. Your best gains come when you make things that you have approx. 60% - 75% success chance. You will have to balance your success chance with ingot usage if you are on a budget.

At 100 skill your success chance for Royal Circlets reaches 60.0%

That's when I would switch. Your mileage may vary. Contents may settle during shipment.

G

GodZeus

A new legendary smith is born.
My gainlog is much less detailed as the others.
Up to 110 i took Simonides guide.
Up to 120 i took the one from tristessa.
110k ingots spent all the way up.

Ps.: i play on europa

J

jaxom101

Just thought I would share this. I saw someone ask about Tailsman and I happened to find one on a Vendor for 500 gold with

13% Exp Blacksmith Bouns
15% Blacksmith Bonus

I decide to test using this and here is what I have so far.

Im at 105 and I tested using 2k Ingot runs

With Tailsman doing Gorgets

105.00-105.6 .6 Gain

Without Tailsman

105.6-105.7 .1 Gain HUMMMM

Went to Gloves Using Tailsman

105.7-105.9 .2 Gain

So I went Back to Gorgets and tried 2k More Ingots using the Tailsman again and got

105.9-106.5 .6 Gain Again

So needles to say Im sticking with using it and staying with Gorgets awhile

T

Trynthlas

On the talisman thing...would make sense, because gains are (generally) based off successes. The talisman doesn't increase your skill, but does increase your success rate - therefore more gains.

...I just wish I could find one!

C

carlsonmark

<blockquote><hr>

...I just wish I could find one!

[/ QUOTE ]

They are very easy to find, I just got a +17%/+21%ex from doing a heartwood quest.

G

Yes, I have a 24/19 exp talisman I got from Heartwood. Love it!

Now if I could only gain faster.... lol

G

Twice I have received 28exp/20 bonus talisman from Melisande.

G

In UOA is the ability to "Recycle-Smelt" ... all it needs is a keypress assigned to it. Lok in the "Keys" tab, scroll the white window nearly to the bottom to see it.

required
1 pack or pouch that will be the container that the recycle agent uses. Set it via the "Agents" tab, recycle agent.

what I do
Make however many of the item (1 macro key, 'x' iterations) then use Organizer agent (ALT-F10 in my case for Org #1) to move it to the recycle pack. Kick in smelt (CTRL-ALT-F12).

F

Firefly UBB

<blockquote><hr>

In UOA is the ability to "Recycle-Smelt" ... all it needs is a keypress assigned to it. Lok in the "Keys" tab, scroll the white window nearly to the bottom to see it.

required
1 pack or pouch that will be the container that the recycle agent uses. Set it via the "Agents" tab, recycle agent.

what I do
Make however many of the item (1 macro key, 'x' iterations) then use Organizer agent (ALT-F10 in my case for Org #1) to move it to the recycle pack. Kick in smelt (CTRL-ALT-F12).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually when I do this it's even quicker for me because I make sure that the ingots I am using to create my items are contained in the bag that I have set as the Recycle Bag. The items will appear in the same bag as the ingots they are being crafted from, so the items are already in the bag when I hit my recycle agent hotkey. No need to employ the use of the organizer agent this way.

E

Elric Firebeard

After reading the original post here I ran a test to see what the differences between smelting and selling were. The results were astounding.

It is FAR more effective to sell than to smelt.

I was grinding out 94-95 and making plate gloves.

Each glove takes 12 ingots, and smelts for 7.

Each normal glove sells for 70-90 gold.
Exceptional gloves sold for anywhere between 140-190.

I took a steady sample of 500 ingots using each method.

I was buying more ingots off the blacksmith merchant for 11-12 gold per ingot.

It cost me 5500 gold to buy 500 ingots at 11 gold each. I crafted and sold until I literally could not make another piece. My numbers are all jumbled now, but I estimate that the original 5500 gold investment and the subsequent selling off of the product and dumping it back in in the form of expensive ingots yielded roughly 1000-1200 ingots. Now that I'm GM, exceptional pieces sell for even more and make it an even better deal.

If you couple this with another little trick I picked up tonight, you can damn near break a profit off it.

If you cannot find any ingots for sale (its tough on Catskills these days), I reccomend scouring the towns for blacksmith venders. I was using Luna and paying 11-12 per ingot, thinking it was about the average. It was not, Umbra was selling ingots at a rate of 8 gold each, in stacks of 500 at a time. I bought 1k-1.5k before the price rose to 9 gold. Out of the 16 or so towns on each facet all but maybe 3 of them are abandoned 90% of the time. This means the merchant prices are base level low. Take advantage of it. Saved me alot of time and effort.

PS - I don't have Mondain's Legacy yet, so I'm not sure if any ML recipes are even better.

I

imported_dwalker0229

I followed the UOcraft.com table for a 120 powerscroll.

my uo assist macro is:
use item type (smith hammer)'right click change use item to use item type
menu selection (make last)
menu selection (smelt item)
target item type (as you change items ie. from gorget to gloves, reset this target to that item)'right click change target item to target item type
menu selection (right clicks the window to close it)

I opted to smel rather than sell because i purchased the ings ahead of time. As this macro runs all you have to worry about is stocking your bag with hammers and and ings. I'd make 20 hammers at a time and place 4000 ings in my bag and let'er go, when a hammer breaks it pauses for about 60 seconds then continues on to the next hammer as per the first line. <font color="red"> I started my run from GM with 100k ings in a box and a few tinker tools so i can make new hammers. I went from 100.0 to 120.0 using 83892 ings that includes making the hammers in 1 day(yeah 16 hours) </font> The gains were very steady, slow compaired to what i wanted but steady. I did very few clicks of the mouse, I used a brand new box of Acme brand tooth picks to keep my eyes open as there was so little to do.

Wodan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi I have a very recent gain log here :

100.4 - 109.0 doing royal circlets using roughly 20k ingots in about 8 hours

Will update this guide as I proceed further.

One thing I can already recommend everyone is to craft ROYAL CIRCLETS and NOT plate gorgets. gains are MUCH faster and iron use is either the same or even lower !!

B

Bluntman2

Give a little bit of my inptut...

I was doing the gloves as well from 105 until I hit 109.4
The gains were soo slow... so I decided to go off the chart and start making things that were in th e60 ~ 75 % chance range. With that it said to make the "No-Dachi" so I began making those... been at it for about 30 mins now and I am already up to 110.1

So I will begin using the smithing page to determine what I should be making. I think from 105 to the 109.4 I used nearly 40K in ingots.. was killing me. Luckily I found a vendor in Luna that had bulk ingots for 8 gold each. was able to pick up about 90K more ingots. Hopefully this will get me to Legendary..

I will keep you updated as to my progression

Bman

Wodan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't stress it often enough ...

crafting platemail for gains is a waste of ingots ...

I started my legendary smith today starting at gm level (100.4) crafting royal circlets ONLY smelting afterwards with 103 mining skill and my current status is :

100.4 - 113.0 consuming 30k ingots total

I will probably become legendary with less than 60k ingots. more on this tomorrow.

Wodan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Current status : 118.2 with about 45k ingots burned since 100.4 crafting royal circlets smelting with mining skill 100+3

J

jnsqnn

I have no idea how ya'll are gaining with Royal Circlets. I've burned though 5k @ 105.9 with not a single gain. My skill is set to go up, and I'm not capped. I have no talismans on. Anythoughts on what might be wrong?

E

elenka

Hello everybody!

I just got that last 0.1 to Legendary!

Ingots used from 110 to 120 - ~12K
Only made royal circlets and smelt them with 105 mining (made them right in Salvage bag until backpack was full then smelt all, nice and easy).

I soulstoned all other skills except smithing and mining (and a bit of magery) so my total skillpoints were always below 300.

Took about 3 days (from 106) of on and off smithing while watching TV.

Oh, yeah, I kept minimized Chat window on desktop, just because people mentioned it helps, lol!

Elly

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This Thread is being unlocked, and Linked to from the new version of the FAQ. It will be "kept" as to not fall into the archive, in order to still be posted to, and found via searching.

Distilled versions of the data from the last 4 years of posting will be added to the new FAQ in the next week.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This Thread is being unlocked, and Linked to from the new version of the FAQ. It will be "kept" as to not fall into the archive, in order to still be posted to, and found via searching.

Distilled versions of the data from the last 4 years of posting will be added to the new FAQ in the next week.