• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Legacy Nightmare - Opinions on Chiv and Mage builds?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey folks,

I occasionally see chatter about legacy nightmares but always ignored it because I thought I had released all mine way back. Just checked my stable of a toon I don't use much and there were 2 of them in there. Here is the better one using the site Khyro et al. use:

Legends - Snorter -Pretraining stats.JPG
The other one is slightly worse. Outside of his strength this guy seems decent, and really there are only 15 str points between him and the max. Do you folks who have messed with these like the chiv build? I thought maybe I would use this better one for chiv and the other one for a mage build (saw the training legacy nightmares section on the same website above). Does the mage build use Magery Mastery? Or is it just straight magery with magic scrolls? What have been your experiences with either build? Anyone use anything outside of those?

Thanks!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I also ran a 'what-if' on the planner, it looks like there are enough points to do the chiv version:

Legends - Snorter -Pretraining  Chiv plan.JPG

Have I overlooked anything on the plan?

Gardo

Journeyman
Don’t set Stamina Regen to 20.... 10 is plenty. I’d recommend energy resist being at least 70. (I realize resists are a personal choice but more things do energy damage than cold or poison) If you’re gonna do up a magery nightmare, tame a fresh 2-slotter. Utilize a chivalry/AI build for your legacy.

And like Pawain said, set INT to 370.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the input all, I lowered stamina regen, edited resists, and upped Int, HP, and Mana per your suggestions:

Legends - Snorter -Pretraining  Chiv plan.JPG

XeneX

Adventurer
Personally I would bump ER to 80 and maybe drop HP by whatever it took to do so. It's so subjective at that point though and you might not even notice a difference with that change.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On a nightmare I wouldn't put Energy resist to 80, they are more of a general purpose pet, I believe silent singer is also a siege player. I've had no problem doing all content, with the exception of things like exodus with a 80/75/70/70/70 resist spread, and I do things mostly solo or duo with my pet doing the tanking. Sometimes I might go with a 80/80/68/67/70

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For all of us that cant find them. What ???HP mobs do you fight that do more than 30% cold damage?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On a nightmare I wouldn't put Energy resist to 80, they are more of a general purpose pet, I believe silent singer is also a siege player. I've had no problem doing all content, with the exception of things like exodus with a 80/75/70/70/70 resist spread, and I do things mostly solo or duo with my pet doing the tanking. Sometimes I might go with a 80/80/68/67/70
Khaelor, I have mostly played on Siege for years, but in this case the two legacy ponies are on Legends. I just happened to be going through a toon's stable that I hadn't used in a long time and found them there. But I intend to use the one planned above for general purpose activities, so I think your point stands. Thanks for the input!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Khaelor, I have mostly played on Siege for years, but in this case the two legacy ponies are on Legends. I just happened to be going through a toon's stable that I hadn't used in a long time and found them there. But I intend to use the one planned above for general purpose activities, so I think your point stands. Thanks for the input!
Resists should match the things you will fight with that pet. Its damage determines best things to fight.

You can use google and type "Mob" UO" and find its damage type and resists.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not everyone can afford to create a different pet for everything they fight (and some simply don't want to). A pet with across the board resists is an excellent general purpose pet that you can take anywhere without having to worry about what you are fighting. We've never had an issue doing content with any of our 80/75/70/70/70 or 80/80/6x/6x/70 pets, this includes Shadowguard, Corgul, Scalis, Doom, Champ Spawns, Peerless, EM events, seasonal content, etc... you name it.

I am a firm believer that the first pet anyone makes should be a general purpose pet, so they always have that option available to them to use that pet for any content. I am also a firm believer in making Legacy pets general purpose pets because you never know what new content will bring (example, Krampus was 50% cold damage), and you don't want to have a Legacy companion that you can't take with you. There are plenty of current-spawning pets out there that are better suited for resist-specific encounters than legacy pets, if that's the route you wish to go down.

The pets we made with resists specific to encounters are often sitting alone on a storage tamer, instead of seeing daily action. We find offensive matching much more important than defensive matching. When our alliance wants to go do something, we don't have to stop and think about what resists will be needed and find that pet in the stables. We just think about what offensive abilities we want to bring, whether that's Chiv/AI, Chiv/FWW, or RC, and if the damage type of the pet makes sense for that encounter. Even if your stables are limited in offensive pet choices, a general purpose Chiv/AI pet can still be useful due to AI not caring about the target's resists.

Start simple and expand your stables from there.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I prefer high energy resist for 2 reasons.

1. I frequently level up my pets on the unbound energy eles in Shame 5. You WILL notice a big difference in the amount of damage your pet takes from them. Always a challenge training my Najas on them because of the 100% poison resist they get low energy resist.
2. Energy is the 3rd most common damage type, so it makes sense to make it higher than poison and cold.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are 2 ???HP Mobs that do >30% cold damage. Just wondering if they can find more.

I recently made a thread about one of them and the other is also found in water. You can not just walk up to them, they have to be spawned by a player.

So, for general purpose, I can only find two more that has >20,000 HP. Those are Doom related.

Like I have said from the beginning. A Cu has cold resist, a Naj have 100% Poison resist. Both are easy to get and build.

Dreadhorn and Dragon Turtle are very common group activities on LS. They do poison damage.

IMO if you are going less than 80 on anything but cold, you would want to increase the Stam regen on an equine.
Go fight stuff and look at the Stamina on those when they take a hit.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can use google and type "Mob" UO" and find its damage type and resists.
that will only give you the melee type damage that monsters do. There are more than enough spells that do cold damage that are frequently casted by monsters to make balanced out resists well worth it. And then there are of course players who can do all kinds of elemental damage to your pet and won't take long to figure out what damage works best to kill your pet with only a couple of spells.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that will only give you the melee type damage that monsters do. There are more than enough spells that do cold damage that are frequently casted by monsters to make balanced out resists well worth it. And then there are of course players who can do all kinds of elemental damage to your pet and won't take long to figure out what damage works best to kill your pet with only a couple of spells.
Like a said my Fire Steed has 30s cold and poison. He does not take damage at Mel unless he is tanking.

Tell me which you think will be a problem and I will take a pet there and see.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tend to be with @Pawain in regards to resists. Very rarely do I give a pet anything but whats left after maxing rest of resists. That's also why I can not understand the obsession with cu's

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tell me which you think will be a problem and I will take a pet there and see.
take your low resist pets to Siege Perilous then and get raided while farming. Since you won't do that take them to the doom gauntlet, the dark father in particular and see how long they survive when he summons his sidespawn.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
take your low resist pets to Siege Perilous then and get raided while farming. Since you won't do that take them to the doom gauntlet, the dark father in particular and see how long they survive when he summons his sidespawn.
Doom is inherently not the best place for tamers. Every mob has different resists and damage type and there's no hitching post there. Even if you take a pet with even resists, you can't change your pets damage type. Fire damage is pretty good, until you get to the mob that has 90%+ fire resist. At best you can duo it with a Sampire.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doom is inherently not the best place for tamers. Every mob has different resists and damage type and there's no hitching post there. Even if you take a pet with even resists, you can't change your pets damage type. Fire damage is pretty good, until you get to the mob that has 90%+ fire resist. At best you can duo it with a Sampire.
I know and personally I prefer to bring the sampire but tamers absolutely work in doom if you know what you're doing, no hitching post needed. But show me a pet with unbalanced resists that will survive the darkfather sidespawn.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I know and personally I prefer to bring the sampire but tamers absolutely work in doom if you know what you're doing, no hitching post needed. But show me a pet with unbalanced resists that will survive the darkfather sidespawn.
I would say it depends a lot on the tamers template too. The last time I was in Doom the Darkfather's spawn gave me no trouble at all because I was provoking them back onto the Darkfather.