• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Leave Taking

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm posting this here as I am most certainly not going to post another goodbye thread in UHall, and for a time this forum was my second home. I have cancelled payment on my accounts and have started the process of closing them down.

I am going to go make my home in a space ship for however long that holds my attention, or until Darkfall Online is published - if that ever happens. I just didn't want to leave without saying goodbye, and I will will miss UO, these forums, and the people I have met in game and here as well.

Be well all of you. There are some exciting times coming for UO, and if I ever return, I look forward to hearing of them when I do.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This thread outlines the basic reasons and goes into some of the gory details as well, but the basic reasons are the rampant cheating and the abysmal customer service provided by EA. That just about sums it up.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would prefer you to reconsider, but then again, who am I to ask such a thing. I didn't :(

I have grown to respect your experience and knowledge of Tamers. I feel the community will be noticeably poorer for your Leave of Absence.

I think I know the Straw that .... pushed you over the edge.

As having been there, done that I will simply offer up an unsolicited advise. Don't give things away that you can keep and will be of value to you, should you find your way back to UO.

Good luck in finding something that can rekindle your interest and passion.

I read the blurb you posted and it has me .... curious. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As having been there, done that I will simply offer up an unsolicited advise. Don't give things away that you can keep and will be of value to you, should you find your way back to UO.
I made that mistake last time. I'm going to try to sell at least one of my houses so I'll have some starting gold if I ever make it back, and I am going to keep as many of my more valuable items as is possible.

I read the blurb you posted and it has me .... curious. :)
The bit about the spaceship? :) EvE Online.

N

Nenime

Um, ok, I scimmed the other thread and I already get a glance what your point is. In fact, I left too :blushing: for about a year. I came back early this year just to check KR. Sure it was a bad surprise to see that things screw up even more. Back then, we knew the GM's by name and rated them by behavior and competence - but, how are you supposed to rate a bot which gives always the same canned response whatever you may ask? :(
I decided not to leave again but to blank out all the crappy things about the game, the bugs, the exploits, the nonexistent customer support and and and... actually, all that you mentioned.

I simply remembered what this game is all about: awesome community :) The forum is part of that experience. I post here only since May but I was already reading here for years. Although we never met, you're like a pal to me. I raised my Tamer by the assistance and guidance of this forum and you are a part of it.

Ok, then *sob* I will miss you, Llewen *snivel* Farewell :sad2:
Now go and fly your silly sputnik through EVE-space :p *whispers "Rel Sanct" before watching the lift-off*

N

Nenime

I tried Vanguard as it came out. Back then it was pretty buggy and had a massive problem with... ehrrr, let's say 'economy'. The hardware requirement were much to high, even with top-up-to-date PC I couldn't turn on all details. But they worked hard on it. They even offered former players to test it for free - very nice action :thumbsup: Not much of a solo playable MMORG like UO though.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing that intrigued me was the Trader(?) class were you could organize Caravans / Shipping routes to transport people and goods.

One of the things that excited me most about UO was the concept that one could organize trade routes and move items from town to town. Originally not all vendors sold all items and this tended to be true of towns as well. This provided a possibility for buying items in one location and selling them for a profit in another. Obviously this was not the route UO took. :(

The only thing that stopped me from trying it before coming to UO (from EQ) was could never get quite comfortable with the House Model. I really did prefer the UO House Model (no not designs) vs SoE/Sigils vision of houses/items.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Have you ever looked at or read anything on Vanguard (the game)?
I despise level based character advancement, which is one of the reasons why I've stuck with UO for so long. But EvE isn't level based either, and so far I'm having fun, with my little newbie frigate, sailing around the asteroid belts... :)

I raised my Tamer by the assistance and guidance of this forum and you are a part of it.
That's nice to hear. Thank you. Sometimes I think all I've ever been is grumpy. It's nice that people noticed the other good things as well. :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I despise level based character advancement, which is one of the reasons why I've stuck with UO for so long. But EvE isn't level based either, and so far I'm having fun, with my little newbie frigate, sailing around the asteroid belts... :)
Level based games are ok in a PvM environment but, in my opinion, you can totally forget PvP.

The problem I had/have with EQ is the same thing here.

Groups want to nerf other groups because .... what ever.
Groups think the game is about beating the game, wining etc.
Overwhelming majority is 100% into itemization.

Funny about the Frigate and the Asteroid Belt, in real life as far back as I can remember, that is the profession I have always seen for myself. Oh the profession would be exploration and resource gathering of course, with perhaps some manufacturing included.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
One of the things that excited me most about UO was the concept that one could organize trade routes and move items from town to town. Originally not all vendors sold all items and this tended to be true of towns as well. This provided a possibility for buying items in one location and selling them for a profit in another. Obviously this was not the route UO took. :(
Funny about the Frigate and the Asteroid Belt, in real life as far back as I can remember, that is the profession I have always seen for myself. Oh the profession would be exploration and resource gathering of course, with perhaps some manufacturing included.
Honestly, I'm not trying to drag you away from UO, but you really ought to check out EvE. As far as I can see, trade routes are one of the best ways to make ISK (gold :) ) in EvE. It is more than possible to buy low and sell high, and of course mining and manufacturing is a big part of it as well, and it is a truly beautiful game. I love looking at the stars, and of course, in EvE the stars are a constant backdrop.

And EvE is just huge. Someone said that EvE is so huge that there are entire systems that only a handful of people have ever visited, in the history of the game. And even better, one of the things I never liked was that you couldn't walk around, you were always tied to your ship. Well that is about to change, and you will be able to leave your ship and walk around space stations. I don't know about planets, or things like boarding parties, and I don't know if there will be any actual combat as a character outside of ships.

Another thing that will be good is I will be dropping two accounts for one, which will be a good thing in terms of having a little extra money for other things. And even better is you never have to pay for expansions, those are always free to everyone. All you pay is a small fee ($20 US) to upgrade your account from a trial account to a full subscription, then from then on, it is only the subscription fee.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to see you go. You're imput on the forums here will definately be missed.

Just remember we are here and you can always come and drop us a line anytime. And should you come back, don't for get to tell us!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best of wishes to you in whatever strikes your fancy.

Without your guidance here, I probably wouldn't be half the tamer I am now.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
:)

Well it's at least a year I'll be gone. I've payed for a year of EvE, and one mmo at a time is all I can handle...

B

Branwyn of Errol

Your old friend BarefootPrincess wishes you the best of everything. She will take good care of the rune beetle and pastel colored hiryu you entrusted to her.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Bless you BarefootPrincess, wherever you may be, you, and people like you, were the single best reason to live in the world of UO, and I will miss you all very much.

R

ravenwaves

I know I can assume that everyone here hates mythic, but I've been beta testing warhammer for the last couple months and it's my new pixel crack. The PvP is extremely stimulating and the RP community is pretty vibrant just for beta o_O Plus, open beta, which launched this morning is already a good deal more polished than the last 3 MMOs I've tested for. (Wish, Mondain's Legacy, WoW)