• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Learned my lesson

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Decided to buy a pet bonding potion for a quick swamp dragon bond for Fire Dungeon event. Had it three days, it died tonight and no ghost of it anywhere. Paged a GM to ask about it and got a canned email response about not being able to replace it, they didn't even have the b@lls to send a GM to speak with me. So I'm out five bucks and a bonded pet. I learned my lesson, don't buy from the UO store, there are other options and places where I can waste my money. :rolleyes:

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Decided to buy a pet bonding potion for a quick swamp dragon bond for Fire Dungeon event. Had it three days, it died tonight and no ghost of it anywhere. Paged a GM to ask about it and got a canned email response about not being able to replace it, they didn't even have the b@lls to send a GM to speak with me. So I'm out five bucks and a bonded pet. I learned my lesson, don't buy from the UO store, there are other options and places where I can waste my money. :rolleyes:
im guessing you tried relogging? that normally fixes it for most. not everytime sometimes pets goes poof for good,

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im guessing you tried relogging? that normally fixes it for most. not everytime sometimes pets goes poof for good,
I did, several times. At my house, at an inn. I knew it was mostly gone for good when it showed 0/5 followers. Just another screw up in this game the lazy @ss DEV team can't seem to acknowledge, nothing new there.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blame human nature. If they replaced pets there would be daily call for Banes and Blaze Cus that went poof. If they replaced store pets there would be daily calls for those that went poof.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
This reminds me of one of the more recent people I talked into playing Ultima Online.

He purchased a Soulstone and a pet bonding potion then somehow managed to delete his taming skill and his pet went wild.
I believe the cause to be a mix of poor game design and the fact that he didn't play much and was pretty lacking in game knowledge rather than in your case:
a common game bug introduced with a recent update documented by numerous players.

He was pretty mad about it and was pretty much done with the game.
I thought it was hilarious but managed to talk him into continue playing for a few additional months.

Long story short, he quit playing the game because Mesanna does people dirty.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I overwrote 100 remove trap on a toon, while getting skills ready for wildfire, because I didn't do the arrows correctly. Also had a windrunner go poof a couple years ago. Sux to lose things you bought.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm blaming their (dev team) laziness and poor ability to fix the issue to start with.
I look at the bugs section daily on the other forums. They are lacking in that part of the game most definitely. Very little progress even when some of the player base show them what could be done and how to fix some of the user interface bugs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I deleted my GM Cooking because I moved it to a character to bake a cake and then forgot to move it back before deleting said character... then I kept wondering how the hell I lost my GM cooking... I swore I had... then it finally dawned on me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO they have a record of you buying the dang thing ... if you didn't trade or sell it then they should replace it... any other game would and they do.... I had a horse in my phone game poof on me once and they replaced it no problem.

The issue with UO is they have ZERO way to track anything at all... hence why they don't replace anything. I'm fairly sure they don't have any clue what anyone has, has had, or sold, or traded, or transferred... If they wanted to know if you have "duped" items they would have to actually come and look through your stuff...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@MalagAste I agree totally but also if they just make a blanket statement that they don't replace anything then they don't ever have to bother actually spending time on the issue. Other games replace stuff that game mechanics destroyed, especially when real money is involved, they want to keep their players and keep them happy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste I agree totally but also if they just make a blanket statement that they don't replace anything then they don't ever have to bother actually spending time on the issue. Other games replace stuff that game mechanics destroyed, especially when real money is involved, they want to keep their players and keep them happy.
Oh, I know but they don't have any way to track items... and while they probably could have at some point coded that into the game... I'm not sure how that would work with the old client... it would probably kill it.... Newer games don't have the trading system we do... in fact a lot of them you can't drop items on the ground that anyone else can pick up or see... and their vendor systems are tightly regulated. So yeah that's why it doesn't and wouldn't ever work in UO.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
IMO they have a record of you buying the dang thing ... if you didn't trade or sell it then they should replace it... any other game would and they do.... I had a horse in my phone game poof on me once and they replaced it no problem.

The issue with UO is they have ZERO way to track anything at all... hence why they don't replace anything. I'm fairly sure they don't have any clue what anyone has, has had, or sold, or traded, or transferred... If they wanted to know if you have "duped" items they would have to actually come and look through your stuff...
I'm going to have to strongly disagree that they have zero way to track anything at all.

I strongly agree that they don't have any clue what anyone has, has had, sold, traded or transferred.
A lot of Ultima Online related things happen outside the game.

An example of this would be, some years ago you could have things such as Marijauna mailed directly to your door for Ultima Online gold and various high end items.

Surprisingly, some of these people are still around, although I highly doubt they are still involved with this kind of activity.
That would be extremely silly nowadays.

I thought it was silly then also, for the simple fact that during this same time period, other players were "creating/duping" gold and high end items.

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
I'm blaming their (dev team) laziness and poor ability to fix the issue to start with.
Yeah, losing pets was an issue, on occasion, years ago on the Heritage shard but once we added in pet training we re-looked at all that code and changed it.

The amount of time and effort that goes into pets now, they should never just go puff.

How we handle it:
  • Unbonded pets handle loyalty and loyalty drops per normal.
  • Bonded pets never lose loyalty and it remains at 100%. Regardless of commands thrown at it.
  • Bonded pets that can't be controlled due to lack of skill simply ignore commands and are basically worthless. Think disabled AI if no control chance.
  • If a bonded pet, think pack beetle with items in it, can't auto stable and the owner logs out it remains in the world for 5 days. After that point it loses its bonded status and then Loyalty once again decays per normal.
  • A "hold over" stable that will always auto stable pets, not pack animals, regardless of stable slots.
    • If a player has pets in the hold over stables they can't use the regular stables until room is made and the hold over stable is back to 0.

Theno

Visitor
As soon as your follower slot goes down to 0/5 you don't need to ask for a GM. They will not find it either. This has happend to me several times too, so that's when I decided not to put hours of work into pets anymore.

a wizard

Journeyman
Yeah, losing pets was an issue, on occasion, years ago on the Heritage shard but once we added in pet training we re-looked at all that code and changed it.

The amount of time and effort that goes into pets now, they should never just go puff.

How we handle it:
  • Bonded pets never lose loyalty and it remains at 100%. Regardless of commands thrown at it.
  • Bonded pets that can't be controlled due to lack of skill simply ignore commands and are basically worthless. Think disabled AI if no control chance.
  • If a bonded pet, think pack beetle with items in it, can't auto stable and the owner logs out it remains in the world for 5 days. After that point it loses its bonded status and then Loyalty once again decays per normal.
  • A "hold over" stable that will always auto stable pets, not pack animals, regardless of stable slots.
    • If a player has pets in the hold over stables they can't use the regular stables until room is made and the hold over stable is back to 0.
They didn't delete/revert exploited pets that were combat trained and had scrolls applied to them, because "people invested scrolls into the pets, oh well that they exploited their hp/mp as well" but they reverted base slot pets that were exploited. And this exploiting wasn't even an "oops i accidentally did that" type of thing either, the process required forcing the pet to go wild then re-taming it and repeating the process, it took days and certain people were basically running factories to exploit pets as a payable service.

Fact is, the devs don't give a ****. Lose your pet on your own? Tough luck.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After an evening of thinking about it, I don't know what I'm more pissed about. The fact I lost a bonded pet & I paid RL money for an instant bonding potion from the UO store, or the fact that no GM even came to speak to me about the issue. I sent the page in, within 10 mins I received a canned email response. That was end of subject for them. That's how much our current DEV team care for this game and us as players.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it me but when I hear of pets disappearing that are bonded with the potion I always think there is a issue with the potion. Never really hear about pets disappearing that where bonded the old way.

My Sampire Swamp dragon will stay in the void dead for days before I leave to go get it rezed and I never lost it. Am talking about my screen showing 0/0. But when I log on alive he appears then disappears when I die and relog in saying pet will return when you are alive after a while until I can get to town or my other account to rez him.

a wizard

Journeyman
All mine have been "reverted," see Unleashed for details.
idk what unleashed is. but i know six dif people who probably have 40 exploited, trained and scrolled pets between themselves that havent been touched. most of the pvpers i know who had exploited banes are still untouched, the ones i don't know about are people who sold them both before and after the "hotfix"

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
idk what unleashed is. but i know six dif people who probably have 40 exploited, trained and scrolled pets between themselves that havent been touched. most of the pvpers i know who had exploited banes are still untouched, the ones i don't know about are people who sold them both before and after the "hotfix"
Unleashed is a less-restricted forum where things not allowed to be discussed here can be. There are some rules but you can count them on one hand. Click "Forums" link at top of this page ... scroll down and you will see the link for Unleashed. It does require you to be "accepted" into there since it truly is an adults-only area.

Some years back, a similar forum here was called No Holds Barred.

a wizard

Journeyman
Unleashed is a less-restricted forum where things not allowed to be discussed here can be. There are some rules but you can count them on one hand. Click "Forums" link at top of this page ... scroll down and you will see the link for Unleashed. It does require you to be "accepted" into there since it truly is an adults-only area.

Some years back, a similar forum here was called No Holds Barred.
Sounds dumb. Maybe this forums should get sold again, but this time to someone who can break the 1945 theme of suppressing opinion.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sounds dumb. Maybe this forums should get sold again, but this time to someone who can break the 1945 theme of suppressing opinion.
Soooo you shoot it down without trying or seeing? That is just .... n/m <walks off shaking his head>

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1945 theme of suppressing opinion.
Facts are what not should be suppressed. Its my opinion that everyone is cheating and I should be the only one in the game while ya'll take a 72 hour break.

a wizard

Journeyman
Facts are what not should be suppressed. Its my opinion that everyone is cheating and I should be the only one in the game while ya'll take a 72 hour break.
Stratics has a history of facts not mattering, only clout has ever mattered. Either you're liked by the people who matter and your gripes got to stay, or you weren't and they didn't, factual attenuation tossed out the window and playerbases alienated for the sake of being "neutral".

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like a lot of gripes get to stay here to me. They should move those to UO Bitchfest so UHall can actually benefit players.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How to make money in video games...

Make a new mechanic.
Make the new mechanic take time.
Sell something to remove the time requirement you created.
???
Profit.

Avirunes

Visitor

How we handle it:
I predict it's a lot more complicated for the official shards due to the shambles they call servers and their auto-stable code. The main issue seems to be around sub-servers and the pet being stuck on one subserver while the player relogs on another and for some reason the game occasionally recognizes them as having nothing under their control. The pet then wonders to an obscure dungeon corner and accelerates its passing.

This happened to me yesterday with a naturally bonded ~4yr old swampie. I left it dead for an ~hour while i finished PvMing, relogged at the stables and found that not only was there no swampie ghost appearing, i was down to 0 followers. Tried relogged a few times including in fire where i was PvMing to no avail but was able to scoop the ghost up manually in the area i was PvMing. As soon as i commanded it, my followers went back to 1.

Have also noticed the same issue with the occasional dead pet getting stuck on the ShadowGuard roof and unable to be summoned via relogging while the pet orb only works for it if i'm still in Eodan/not in trammel.

How about that new pet castle working like the light house?

Given how many people have also lost their boat from their lighthouse not working properly, please no.

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
I predict it's a lot more complicated for the official shards due to the shambles they call servers and their auto-stable code. The main issue seems to be around sub-servers and the pet being stuck on one subserver while the player relogs on another and for some reason the game occasionally recognizes them as having nothing under their control. The pet then wonders to an obscure dungeon corner and accelerates its passing.

This happened to me yesterday with a naturally bonded ~4yr old swampie. I left it dead for an ~hour while i finished PvMing, relogged at the stables and found that not only was there no swampie ghost appearing, i was down to 0 followers. Tried relogged a few times including in fire where i was PvMing to no avail but was able to scoop the ghost up manually in the area i was PvMing. As soon as i commanded it, my followers went back to 1.

Have also noticed the same issue with the occasional dead pet getting stuck on the ShadowGuard roof and unable to be summoned via relogging while the pet orb only works for it if i'm still in Eodan/not in trammel.

Given how many people have also lost their boat from their lighthouse not working properly, please no.
Oh totally agree. We use auto stable code too but everything is in C#. UO is a mix of C and C++.

Here we have various members of the original UO team, to include Raph, talking about the technology and code behind UO.
The client and server were both a motley hodge-podge of C and C++.
The gameserver was a custom C or C++ server (don't remember which), running on Solaris. Some kind of crazy Sparcs I think. We had a small office or closet we converted to a server room with a fan in it. We used to hover a beachball over the exhaust.

Each shard (the term sharding probably originated with UO) was actually multiple game servers that pointed at one persistence DB, and that did data mirroring across the boundaries. The load balancing within a shard was statically determined by config files, and was simply boxes on the map -- nothing fancy. Race conditions here led to most of the dupe bugs, by the way.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Given the current mood of this thread, I'd like to announce the BRAND NEW OPENING OF KEVEN'S TORCH AND PITCHFORK EMPORIUM (located 2 blocks down from @Stinky Pete Torch & Pitchforks)!! We have a brand new shipment of titanium pitchforks that are pointier than ever! We also have the long burning torches that will burn ALL NIGHT; to allow bit.ching and moaning over a game people are free to walk away from. Use promo code WahWah2021 for 15% off your first purchase when you purchase a pitchfork and torch together!

:sad2::next:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We have a brand new shipment of titanium pitchforks that are pointier than ever!
That's the problem with the world today. Everyone buys the mass produced torches and pitchforks from overseas because they are cheaper and higher quality. I can assure you that my pitchforks are crafted 100% by locally enslaved children using 100% locally stolen materials. Our quality, though notably poor, cannot be matched by anyone!

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's the problem with the world today. Everyone buys the mass produced torches and pitchforks from overseas because they are cheaper and higher quality. I can assure you that my pitchforks are crafted 100% by locally enslaved children using 100% locally stolen materials. Our quality, though notably poor, cannot be matched by anyone!
While I cannot confirm the locality of my enslaved children or stolen goods; I can guarantee that the working conditions in my sweatshops is far worse for these tiny workers and I work them round the clock! My sweatshops to supply my emporium are also equal opportunity, as we use boys & girls from human/elf/gargoyle races... we even have a few vampire children to ensure round the clock work!!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about people stop logging out to save their pets from losing skill, and then causing them to go wild or disappear ?
How about people stay on topic about the post?

Nowhere did I post about logging out to save a pet. I died, I saw my pet die next. No ghost from my pet ever appeared.
I lost $5 bucks buying an instant pet bonding potion from the UO store, lesson learned... don't buy another one.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blame human nature. If they replaced pets there would be daily call for Banes and Blaze Cus that went poof. If they replaced store pets there would be daily calls for those that went poof.
Hiding your head in the sand is not the way to fix problems. They keep telling us they have logs and other ways to track dupes, etc. They should be able to tell if somone's pet or other item has really disappeared. And if they are not willing or able to fix the problems that cause the pets go poof, at the very least they should have the decency not to hide when it happens.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still think there something wrong with the potion. Never lost a pet that was bonded the old ways. Still only bond the old ways. cant wait and save the 40 mil