• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Leandra has passed away.

A

Anaisdequoi

I really wish I had the opportunity to meet her in real life. She was an inspiration and had a very beautiful soul. I'll definitely miss her!

W

Wisty

"Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again."

R.I.P. Leandra.

You will be missed.
That is beyond beautiful, Rogal. Absolutely excellent. So perfectly stated. How we all should do our best to think of it, for all those who part before we do. Is it yours? Please include this in the tribute and memoirs that are being collected for Leandra. It's the best said of all, imo. I do believe Leandra would have loved it.

P

PsychoBunny

I've always loved this poem for funerals. I read it out at my father-in-law's funeral a few years ago. It is claimed to be written by Mary Frye, but there is some dispute over this.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always loved that poem too, PB. :) And I think Leandra would have felt that way - she seemed like she would have liked us to remember her life, not her death.

E

Emma

Best wishes to her family. It didn't seem that long ago that she said she was taking a break from the forum because she was so ill.

I don't know what else to say other than I'm sure she's in a better place now :(

I was just watching Glastonbury and this came on;

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4XCGeckA-E&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4XCGeckA-E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

T

T_Amon_from_work

Carolyn Grismore, also known on these forums as Leandra, lost her battle with cancer and passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning, June 28. She is survived by her daughter Susan, her son David and granddaughter Rachel, her sister Maryann and her brother Roy, numerous nieces and nephews and many friends.

In lieu of any memorials, the family asks that assistance be given to your local Hospice - or to the American Cancer Society.

Trillian - I know she had made some arrangements with you - if she had not gotten around to letting you have her address, please e-mail me at the address in my user-profile and I will send it to you.

She went peacefully, in her sleep, in no pain - as she wished.

Rest peacefully, my dear friend - you will be missed.
I just got the word ... she will be sorely missed by me. A good friend and fun person to be with.

RIP Carolyn ... you're forever in my heart.

T

T_Amon_from_work

i miss her. and i'm with mags in that it makes me smile to think she's saying "neener neener"

it was indeed her wish for memorians be in the form of contributions to your local hospice or American Cancer Society.

if anyone wishes to send her family a card or a note, PM me and i'll take care of it the way she wanted.
Count me in on a card or something ... I'll PM ya.

Feenicks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh man. I haven't been around here for ages and was just popping in to have a peek today and i see this.
Leandra was one of the good ones. :-(
Quite upsetting - she'll be missed.

Fare thee well Leandra.

W

Wisty

The Leandra pixie banner is so pretty. She was using that sig around the time I showed up and continued to use it thenceforth. Was a really cute sig.

T

tarantulus

Carolyn Grismore, also known on these forums as Leandra, lost her battle with cancer and passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning, June 28. She is survived by her daughter Susan, her son David and granddaughter Rachel, her sister Maryann and her brother Roy, numerous nieces and nephews and many friends.

In lieu of any memorials, the family asks that assistance be given to your local Hospice - or to the American Cancer Society.

Trillian - I know she had made some arrangements with you - if she had not gotten around to letting you have her address, please e-mail me at the address in my user-profile and I will send it to you.

She went peacefully, in her sleep, in no pain - as she wished.

Rest peacefully, my dear friend - you will be missed.
I am saddened that she is gone, but happy that it was relatively quick and painless. I'm normally not one for such things but, *lights a candle for Lea* ...

P

Prince Caspian

What's this, then? I sloochat some sad solvos.... Leandra, the choodessny forum mum and millicent has snuffed it? She was a horrorshow cheena. Even tho she tolcholked ol' Alex in the gulliver when he was baddiwadd.

Ol' Alex is gonna platch bolshy tears for his starry droog.

:sad2:

P

PsychoBunny

What's this, then? I sloochat some sad solvos.... Leandra, the choodessny forum mum and millicent has snuffed it? She was a horrorshow cheena. Even tho she tolcholked ol' Alex in the gulliver when he was baddiwadd.

Ol' Alex is gonna platch bolshy tears for his starry droog.

:sad2:
Let me be the first to say it officially:

**** off!

E

Ellisande

He's an old SNR friend of hers if I remember correctly and was speaking in character for his old nickname of Alex DeLarge.

P

PsychoBunny

He's an old SNR friend of hers if I remember correctly and was speaking in character for his old nickname of Alex DeLarge.
Good for him. Then his "in character" sucks hairy balls in this thread.

E

Ellisande

I don't speak A Clockwork Orange (Nadsat), so was that an offensive post?

M

MC Square

Aye, he's speaking in Clockwork Orange :) Saying that he'd heard Leandra had passed and that Alex is going to cry great tears for his old/ancient friend.

Full thing says:

I happened (to get) some sad word, Leandra the wonderful forum mum and policeman? (mod?) has died. She was a good woman, even though she hit old Alex in the head when he was bad. Alex is going to cry great tears for his ancient friend.

P

PsychoBunny

Aye, he's speaking in Clockwork Orange :) Saying that he'd heard Leandra had passed and that Alex is going to cry great tears for his old/ancient friend.
That's cool. I took offense to his style as it sucked ass in this thread. I got over and moved on.

E

Ellisande

And that she had whacked him when he was being a brat, right? :)

W

Wisty

Oh, yah, think I recall Alex of years ago. He was kinda nice. Yeah, I thought he might be speaking in char, and sincerely.

C

Cynewulf

I envy those of you who got to know her in real life. I always found her to be caring, thoughtful, and intelligent. Hers were the posts I would stop and read even when I was only skimming the rest of the thread. I shall miss her, her posts, and her attitude.

Interesting also, as in real life, that it sometimes takes the passing of someone to see old familiar faces once again.

D

Dutchhans

I envy those of you who got to know her in real life. I always found her to be caring, thoughtful, and intelligent. Hers were the posts I would stop and read even when I was only skimming the rest of the thread. I shall miss her, her posts, and her attitude.

Interesting also, as in real life, that it sometimes takes the passing of someone to see old familiar faces once again.
Yes indeed.

W

willing labrat

Ah, Leandra. At one time we were labelled the two old fart independents, and, like all independents, we never completely agreed. Somehow, though, it felt like company. Oddly, you never think of we posters as mortal, just some sort of disembodied voices out there, that never go away... whether you want them to or not. Sometimes you actually get to know a few of them, meet them, or talk to them on the phone, or do battle with them, or just chat, and they become people. I never had the opportunity to actually contact my old friend Leandra, so to think of her as Carolyn is tough.

When a very wonderful lady in the Sims passed away, seemingly an eternity ago, it made me think of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, and I posted some of the quatrains for Maryanne. I don't know why a death in cyberspace makes me think of the tentmaker. Or perhaps I do...

The moving finger, having writ,
Moves on, nor all your piety nor wit
Can lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears erase a word of it.

Up through Earth's center I rose,
And on the throne of Saturn sat,
And many a knot unravelled on the way,
But not the master knot of human fate.

There was the veil through which I could not see.
There was the door for which I had no key.
First some talk of me and thee
And then no more of thee and me.

On a checkerboard of nights and days
Destiny, with men for pieces, plays,
moves, and mates, and checks, and slays,
And one by one, back in the closet lays.

Goodnight, Carolyn. I wish I had known you better. :grouphug:

F

FannyAdams

One of my very favourite pieces of poetry and a fitting tribute, labrat. Well done.

E

Emma

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was,
let it be spoken without effect,
without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was;
there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval,
somewhere very near, just round the corner.
And all is well.

Henry Scott Holland ~ 1847-1918

This was read at a family funeral recently. I came across it again today and it made me think of Leandra

T

T_Amon_from_work

Thank you ... I can only wish her well on the new path she travels. I miss her more than I originally cared to admit ... it's catching up to me.

W

Wisty

T'Amon. And I recall many times she intimated in posts how fond she was of you as well. If that gives you a bit of joy among your sorrow.

S

Shari

Can anyone tell me what area she lived in? I wanted to look up the obit online.

S

Shari

ok. I thought it was the WA area but could not find anything so I probably had the wrong paper.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You got me curious too now, Shari. I Googled her name and came up with Everett, Washington, but no obituary.

R

rowan_t

First Fig - Edna St. Vincent Millay

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!

Sweet dreams, Lea. You certainly gave off a lovely light.

M

MC Square

You got me curious too now, Shari. I Googled her name and came up with Everett, Washington, but no obituary.

The Seattle Times is about a week behind in posting their obits...

W

Worm

I can't believe she's gone. Now I regret never having met her, when she lived so close. We were actually going to, once, when a buddy of mine and I were planning a road trip to Vancouver. Then we decided we didn't want to make that trip in the winter, and then life happened, and the trip never took place.

Oh well. There is no death, and all that . . .

I'll still miss her, though.

D

Dosa Ravengard

I miss her more than I really thought I would. How can a person you never met in person sit so heavy on your heart?

T

T_Amon_from_work

T'Amon. And I recall many times she intimated in posts how fond she was of you as well. If that gives you a bit of joy among your sorrow.
Shari - Everett, WA is the correct locale. She and her daughter were living there. When I got to know her she WAS in Seattle. You do know she was raised in Anchorage, AK, right?

Anyone reading this ... Wisty especially.

I know Lea and I joked about things but ... we first met online in a chat world on CompuServe - WorldsAway (or Kymer). We hit it off so well, we were actually "married" in there. When there was a live meet of avatars in Harrisburg, PA she, myself and perhaps 30 other folks had a massive party in my room. Jolly good fun, Security was very nice about things. This was maybe 1993 - 1995 timeframe for Kymer.

Sidebar to Harrisburg: Did you know that 13 people can fit into a Holiday Inn bathtub? The only rule was clothes had to remain ON!!! There were avatars at the meet that were under-age. :lol:

Part of that world was a forum on CompuServe where there were trolls and the usual stuff. For an April Fools joke I wrote up a scenario involving the most contentious of the avies and posted it. It took off and 3-4 dozen of us RP'd stuff along the storyline in the forums as well as some inworld.

Then AOL took over, we all really got into surfing the Web then Lea, myself and 8 others started a MUCK - text based RP (1994) - based on the joke and the stories we had RP'd. In its prime we had a couple hundred members from all over the world, playing about 1,000 different characters. Lea & I were WizOps (MUCK version of GMs) as well as having RP characters.

Then it was time to move on ... Lea and I went into a game called Empiriana. Between the two of us, we made some really tight friendships with some of the players - several of which were from Kymer, of all places!

In 1997 I spent a week with her in Seattle and we traveled all over the peninsula area west of Puget Sound. Damn, but that's pretty country! We hit Mt. Ranier, Pike Street and all the big touristy places. I met her sister at that time ... her daughter was living elsewhere so I missed meeting her.

Early 1998 we both dropped from the MUCK and devoted ourselves to mastering the dungeons of Empiriana. Late 1998, she emailed me about this wierd game that was so damn much fun that I absolutely needed to try it. It was called Ultima Online. Several of our friends from Empiriana joined us and for about a year on Pac, the bunch of us tromped throughout Sosaria in search of death-robes. Eventually it was just the 2 of us as the others moved on to The 4th Coming and other "new" games in that time.

Spiels and Rants here was our hangout with the likes of Marikus, Solarm and a host of others. Annnndddd I think you all can take it from there. She & I go a decent amount of time back.

Sooo, ya see ... there IS just a tad of attachment. Good times, bad times ... but a good friend through all of it.

lindylou

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was so sorry to hear this from T'Amon. I don't frequent this forum so I just learned of Carolyn's passing.

I met Carolyn more than 10 years ago when we were playing in Kymer/WorldsAway. She was Aisha back then. When we had a gathering in Seattle, she invited me to stay with her for the few days that the gathering went on. I was going through a really hard time then and she was a great listener.

I didn't stay in touch with Carolyn or most of the others from that era. I had real life situations that forced me to move on and make changes in my life. I wish I had kept in touch better. She was a genuine person with a huge heart. I was really sorry to hear that she had cancer and from what I have read here, she went quickly, which is a blessing.

Dream well, Carolyn. You left your memory in the hearts of many.

Studly

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just check Legacy.com and nothing is showing up for a search on her name.

E

Ellisande

I miss her more than I really thought I would. How can a person you never met in person sit so heavy on your heart?
I know what you mean, Dosa. Compared to many here, I hardly knew her except for her UHall OT and then OT posts over the years, and the few humorous PMs we shared. And yet I miss her terribly and my heart's broken for her family. :(

M

MC Square

I know what you mean, Dosa. Compared to many here, I hardly knew her except for her UHall OT and then OT posts over the years, and the few humorous PMs we shared. And yet I miss her terribly and my heart's broken for her family. :(
Same here... I've probably mentioned her here a hundred times this week irl. I have a lady here at church who also has cancer, discovered during an exam for something else about a month ago who is beyond "repair" who has decided to not do anything like chemo or radiation, other than manage pain when the time comes. I hope that her passing is as peaceful as this seemed.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know anything about funeral arrangements? I remember Lea saying it was not important to her because "she won't be here anymore", but I would sort of like to know...

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it's been a week now, I'm sure it's already occurred