• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) laptop for UO advice

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Getting my tax return and want to rejoin UO. I'm going to purchase a laptop and want to spend about 300 or 400 hundred dollars. I want a large screen (like 15 inches or better) and hopefully smooth UO gameplay... nothing else is required. I had a 2000 dollar Asus one 2 years ago but sold it when money got tight, it was awesome but its the only brand I'm familiar with. Brand new isn't important and refurbished is fine.

I need advice on what brand is good and where I should purchase it, internet sales are fine if need be. If you know exactly what type I should get then adding a click on link would be great so I could go there and just credit card buy it. I've searched many sights with my requirements but get lost on whether it'll run UO based on system requirements and all that gobbledygook.

Yes I know I'm choking on a fatty about returning... but I honestly miss this stupid game I know so much about.

If you want a loud mouthed, horses ass of a tamer mage back then help me out... if not then guess I'll try star wars out.

Thanx

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting my tax return and want to rejoin UO. I'm going to purchase a laptop and want to spend about 300 or 400 hundred dollars. I want a large screen (like 15 inches or better) and hopefully smooth UO gameplay... nothing else is required. I had a 2000 dollar Asus one 2 years ago but sold it when money got tight, it was awesome but its the only brand I'm familiar with. Brand new isn't important and refurbished is fine.

I need advice on what brand is good and where I should purchase it, internet sales are fine if need be. If you know exactly what type I should get then adding a click on link would be great so I could go there and just credit card buy it. I've searched many sights with my requirements but get lost on whether it'll run UO based on system requirements and all that gobbledygook.

Yes I know I'm choking on a fatty about returning... but I honestly miss this stupid game I know so much about.

If you want a loud mouthed, horses ass of a tamer mage back then help me out... if not then guess I'll try star wars out.

Thanx
If it's a computer... or a fast calculator, it should run UO just fine.

Sadmaz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Some may flame me for this, but get at least 4GB RAM and a decent video card.
depends the client tbh altho the enchanced one is not sommit xtremelly special it can be a lil laggy with some systems (my i5 laptop with nvidia 550m needed a few compromises to stop lagging ,weird eh?),but i think most of todays laptops even low end cheap ones shud be able to handle any of the 2 clients

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If $400 is a hard limit I'd suggest this. Don't be scared of Windows 8, UO and all ancillary programs work fine on it. I just goto "deskop" mode and I have Start8 installed to get my start button back.

If you can splurge for just a little more, this is a good option. It gives you a Core i5 vs a Core i3 and better integrated graphics. HD4000 graphics are fairly strong as far as integrated graphics goes.

Either way CC or EC isn't all that intensive. When you come into a bit more money you may want to consider upgrading to a SSD. A fast SSD (Solid State Disk), Windows 8 and a Core i5 = really fast boot up times. Plus the SSD will help with the speed in loading up other things.

Hope this helps.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
depends the client tbh altho the enchanced one is not sommit xtremelly special it can be a lil laggy with some systems (my i5 laptop with nvidia 550m needed a few compromises to stop lagging ,weird eh?),but i think most of todays laptops even low end cheap ones shud be able to handle any of the 2 clients
My RAM post was based on the fact that the game is not the only thing running when I play. Even if it is just the UO client, UOA, map, vent, and a browser, additional RAM helps.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
If $400 is a hard limit I'd suggest this. Don't be scared of Windows 8, UO and all ancillary programs work fine on it. I just goto "deskop" mode and I have Start8 installed to get my start button back.

If you can splurge for just a little more, this is a good option. It gives you a Core i5 vs a Core i3 and better integrated graphics. HD4000 graphics are fairly strong as far as integrated graphics goes.

Either way CC or EC isn't all that intensive. When you come into a bit more money you may want to consider upgrading to a SSD. A fast SSD (Solid State Disk), Windows 8 and a Core i5 = really fast boot up times. Plus the SSD will help with the speed in loading up other things.

Hope this helps.
This ones the best I've seen and gonna get it unless someone suggests better. Money should be on card in 14 days or less. Next I'm gonna need a free download sight to install UO... then hoping one of my accounts will get thru the account management nightmare. But I'm still listening for laptop options. Thank you in advance all

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya i meant what Podolak said, core 2 duo is way outdated. i3 or i5 is what you want for your limited budget. at 15 inch screen you main limiting factor is probably what graphic chip is in it. You last link is a newer model and has hdmi output which you can connect to your tv very easy. you might want to do that in the future.
I agree with that recomendation

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still like the Dell computers. For a while their support was crap, but they seem to have fixed that. I purchased a very nice Inspiron 15R laptop with an i5 processor for $500 last summer. They tend to have frequent deals on them, so I would not count Dell out! Mine came with Windows 7 (64 bit), but I upgraded it to Windows 8 (64 bit) [for like $10] over Thanksgiving and it's been great.

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230656

this is what I run, it has been very reliable so far even refurbed.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This ones the best I've seen and gonna get it unless someone suggests better. Money should be on card in 14 days or less. Next I'm gonna need a free download sight to install UO... then hoping one of my accounts will get thru the account management nightmare. But I'm still listening for laptop options. Thank you in advance all
Just a update... Bought this laptop last night $400.99. Delivery in 3 days. Then internet, game download, and account nightmare.
Thanx everyone that helped.

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
outlet.dell.com

Do a google for 'twitter dell outlet' and you can find coupons that get you 20-30% off the outlet prices.

Core i5 MINIMUM. [Core i3 are garbage depending on what you get]

I picked up a Core i5, Latitude 3350 for $359.00 shipped, the HD3000 graphics is sufficient for both cc & enhanced and I run them both simulataneously to boot at times without issue. It you get a 3rd gen, the HD4000 graphics are even better.

You won't be running crysis 3 on HIGH setting, but the built in Intel GFX that come with core i5/i7 are actually fairly decent and will run most everything recent on low settings even [I'm played Batman: Arkahm City on Medium with my HD3000 and it runs smooth as butter]. But as you're severely bugdet limited, just go with a built in, any dedicated gfx at that level will be a 64bit memory bandwidth and be marginally better than the built, and in some cases, worse plus it will chew through battery much faster with dedicated.

//my .02

EDIT: Didn't read entire thread before I posted. Nice pick on the laptop and Core i3 in there is actually one of the decent ones. :) You should do just fine with UO and that, plus anything else you want to run in low to med settings.

Last edited:

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Got the laptop today... Now working thru the new crap that's on it and downloading UO, then the account stuff.
Soon ppl... soon.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230656

this is what I run, it has been very reliable so far even refurbed.
Since it is out of stock now i cant see a refurbished price, i am curious, what was the price?

This is what i mainly run out of my other hardware, and its way overpowered for UO, but pretty nice hehe: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUSAutomobili_Lamborghini_VX7SX/

I work at the IT industry and could resist to grab one at a realy realy low price end of last year...

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I dont like Dell because they mostly copy Asus but yes they look very alike hehe
Ok, Asus copies Apple but than...THATS OK ;)

Last edited:

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Called the EA # for help with my account and gave up after 2 hours on hold... Yes 2 damn hours.
Remembered finally that my account name is my E-mail address and got in. Took me 15 more minutes raging over my accounts all being gone but one till I found a drop down menu that had all the others. Then I tried for another hour to get the sight to get past what credit card I wanted to use and gave up. Now its 3 hours later and the download sight for installing classic UO client is stupidly slow and when it got to 80% is said it cant download it. So I'm trying to download it again and hoping it works.

While typing it finished and says the files are corrupt and wont open and to redownload. @#$%@$#%@$# are you kidding me....

This is getting frustrating

Any more help or different UO Classic download sight would be appreciated

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the EA uo management system is tough to learn, hard to understand how to link accounts and change to that other account.
good luck on all that stuff.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that lamborghini one is $2000. I would go ahead and just get a SSD drive instead of a moving parts hd.

looks sweet thou

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
that lamborghini one is $2000. I would go ahead and just get a SSD drive instead of a moving parts hd.

looks sweet thou
I wouldnt have bought it for 2k believe me - i cant tell you the price but it was way way off that ;)
SSD allready inside - and 16GB Ram went just fine in too - i only bought it because of its look and the super price i got it for..would never buy a designer book like that for the official price - not worth it
For 2k you can get a great Ultrabook for on the road and a PC with way better specs and a smartphone on top of it + a tablet lol

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I moved the computer to the other side of the house and all the issues have disappeared.

Live and learn. UO patching and accounts active.

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

looks sweet thou
Yea SSD is way to go for any comp, will breathe new life into anything and turn new computers into sex machines! Moved to an SSD about a year ago and can't bear the 'sluggishness' of platter drives now, at least from a 'open this program' point of view, platter for file storage is just fine...

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then I tried for another hour to get the sight to get past what credit card I wanted to use and gave up.
I discovered after the migration that it was easier to use game codes than to set up with them to have the amount auto-deducted via a credit card. Obviously, that would be a hassle if you are paying monthly. But if you can afford even the 3 month game codes, it is easier than trying to have them use a credit card now. imho

I have opted for the 6 month game codes and use my Year End bonus to pay for all of my accounts for a year.

So that's something to think about and might be much less frustrating - at least as far as the payment thing goes.