• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Lake Austin Developers Meet And Greet Oct. 22, 2018

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Tamais submitted a new Article:

Lake Austin Meet And Greet Oct. 22, 2018

Equinox: Greetings

Mesanna: Greetings

Equinox: I hope you all are well tonight and thank you for your time

Mesanna: we are doing wonderful

Equinox: I am wondering

Equinox: if it would be possible for the team to consider
Equinox: allowing our mannequins to have some Rogaine

Mesanna: rofl

Equinox: prettify them a little
Equinox : =)

Mesanna: hrm I will talk to the team and see what we can come up with

Equinox: Ok, I appreciate your time
Equinox: and consideration

Mesanna: After all
Mesanna: it is all about the style

Equinox: yes yes indeed!
Equinox: =)
Equinox: thank you...
Read more about this article here...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly, I think she was misconstruing what was being asked. We didn't mind our bank design as it is, BUT... we were one of the first submits and as such did not know what was fully allowed. Things happened (including EA's laying off Draconi and other RIGHT AS he was getting ready to test a new RNG, after he'd finally found out WHY the RNG for UO was so bad for streaks - and we still use the bad one 9 years later), and ours showed up later than many of the others...

...causing many from other shards to think we'd half-assed our design on LA, when in fact it was one of the more primitive because it had been inferred wrongly to us when we asked that half the stuff that ended up as COMMON with other shards' WBB designs (a moongate in the area, steps going up a side allowing roof access, etc.) were not possible.

That the design seemingly sucked in comparison to others (especially in the eyes of new arrivals from other shards) is not what I was asking about, but that's what Mesanna seemed to have heard, probably out of fatigue and the fact she'd just had a client crash, connection fail, or something equivalent that disconnected her, and that when she logged back in had BOOTED HER DOWNSTAIRS ONE FLOOR on logging back in, and she had to run from downstairs back to the main room. She wasn't a happy camper at that point.

All I was asking is if we could get a gate somewhere around WBB like many of the other shards have (and as I said, it was others wanting it more than I - all of my characters have been traveling under their own power since 2003, not needing recall scrolls).

The departure of Draconi was so unexpected, especially by him, that I don't think he left those that followed him any notes on what was on his list of things still to do, and Mesanna and others on the much-smaller staff had to scramble to tie up loose ends, often not knowing said ends were loose. As a result, Mesanna probably got a wee bit mad over it, and it was easier to blame someone that was gone than tell the bosses how they screwed up, and she internalized it.

For example, LA had leftover event spawn from 2007 still outside the gates of Luna (and all the gates were CLOSED, with ports through), until 2012 or 2013 - and not minor spawn, either. Skeletal Wyrms, Rotting Corpses, and those %^%^$^$%&^$$% Ancient Liches from Khaldun were camped out in the HOUSING AREA outside the North Gate, where many shards have vendors and festivals (like the Rares fests on Atlantic). It was great if you wanted knight of honor on a character, but sucked if you LIVED THERE.
Similarly, Draconi said (here) that the +1 ingot from a salvage bag was intentional, then later devs (I think in Calvin's tenure) removed it, calling it a bug, because they apparently couldn't find any documentation of it being on purpose.
If I remember what the original hold-up was on the design, it was that after submission (but before implementation) that the LA residents found out that there was a lot more being allowed than what they were told, and Draconi was asked by residents to get the submitter to update her design - but for some reason or another he wasn't able to find her(?) before he was abruptly laid off. I do know that parts of the design, when implemented, were bungled. For example, our teleporter from the roof down to the ground had been relocated at some point to the middle of the roof. The sparkly area on the roof was were the teleporter was supposed to be at - BUT somehow it wasn't put there, and the new teleporter down was put at the edge of the grass on the north end over the vault (and concealed by the grass!!!).

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
she'd just had a client crash, connection fail, or something equivalent that disconnected her, and that when she logged back in had BOOTED HER DOWNSTAIRS ONE FLOOR on logging back in, and she had to run from downstairs back to the main room. She wasn't a happy camper at that point.
Why?? You would think that she would at least have EM powers, lol. geeez. And would be able to tele herself to Kyronix or the EM on duty, instead of running it.

And I feel your pain on the bank design. Draconi left before he did ours on Legends and it was never finished. We did finally get a gate tho, altho it took grousing and begging for a few years.

This team makes me think of the Ron White story about the airplane who only had one engine left running....When asked how far that engine would take them, the answer was "all the way to the scene of the crash..."

Thats where our current direction is gonna take us.

Edited to add: Doesn't matter if she was tired, had a bad conn, the steak for supper was tough, whatever. No excuse for it, and I refuse to give her a pass on the attack on Draconi.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha classic Bonnie. Never shy of pointing fingers and saying "I'm the victim here" :rolleyes: If UO only had a head that could "build bridges not walls".

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The disconnection seemed to happen at a very convenient moment, when she was asked something she didn't want to answer. When she gets back she just dismisses the guy and doesn't say anything about what he had asked....hilarious!
At one point she refers to Bleak being able to answer that, but at no point during the whole meeting did Bleak speak!
Asked if event items could be made shard-bound, a categorical 'no' without any explanation of her reasoning, I'm surprised she didn't shout 'next' like she did the last time...
I don't even know what to say to the way she speaks to and of people, as my mother used to say, manners don't cost anything.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She is probably still reeling from the roasting she would have gotten from Rob Denton for making me quit UO...…..i'm very good at sending emails to high up places ;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
She is probably still reeling from the roasting she would have gotten from Rob Denton for making me quit UO...…..i'm very good at sending emails to high up places ;)
You imply that Rob gives 2 cents what goes on in UO... trust me he doesn't. He's made that abundantly clear on many occasions.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that the dev team members who are Away From Keyboard should go invisible when they do that.
If Bleak did that, Mesanna could know not to send questions Bleak's way.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So was the Detect Hidden thing ever resolved or did I take it that they had no clue that it was even on the pets to begin with.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the Dark Lady knows where you live and she visited your house and ordered you to quit UO.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You imply that Rob gives 2 cents what goes on in UO... trust me he doesn't. He's made that abundantly clear on many occasions.
He cares not one jot about UO, but he does care about the revenue UO makes for his main game DAoC.

There was a winky face at the end of my post though, so it was ment to be taken as sarcasm......

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Where the part about the moongate?? When I submitted the banking area on Sonoma I was under the impression that we were not allow such goodies, then I took a break from the game, during my time away others ask about a moongate at the Bank and were ALL told that "that the original designer would have to request it" .

So when I returned I was told of this and then I ask, requested, begged for it several times and was turned down every time. Now if Great Lakes (oops I meant Lake Austin)gets a gate at the bank I will try once more for Sonoma, citing this meeting.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where the part about the moongate?? When I submitted the banking area on Sonoma I was under the impression that we were not allow such goodies, then I took a break from the game, during my time away others ask about a moongate at the Bank and were ALL told that "that the original designer would have to request it" .

So when I returned I was told of this and then I ask, requested, begged for it several times and was turned down every time. Now if Great Lakes gets a gate at the bank I will try once more for Sonoma, citing this meeting.
GL has a moongate at the bank. The bank was redone last year after much wheedling and poking.

Unfortunately, much of the new design has Z-axis issues :(

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish that our EMs had the decision-making powers to handle reasonable requests.
I made a reasonable request of EM Obsidian. He said that he'd lose his job.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish the EMs could make awards to be handed out at player run events, like 1st place trophies for archery, tmapping, whatever...

Still don't understand why not...Rares Fest can get an entire town set up for it, but other events-you get hung out on your own.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish the EMs could make awards to be handed out at player run events, like 1st place trophies for archery, tmapping, whatever...

Still don't understand why not...Rares Fest can get an entire town set up for it, but other events-you get hung out on your own.
EMs don't do player events, PEC Raine does. He can do temp deco, custom mobs, gates... (NO DROPS)

You can sorta do player awards, though they're what players can create and inscribe. But you can ask that they be locked down in places that players can't touch...like the trophy room in Castle Blackthorn, etc.

Trophies like you ask for would quickly get abused as everyone and their pet mongbat put on sham events to churn out such items. The best we could ask for here is new trophy art that we could craft and inscribe.

As to why Rares Fest gets things others "can't," you'd have to take that up with Mesanna. That's all her.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Does anyone remember the four developers who attended with Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong? I had down Mesanna, Bleak, Kyronix and Misk. HOWEVER, there is a 4th that I missed writing down. Can anyone enlighten me? It wasn't listed in the journal report. Thanks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does anyone remember the four developers who attended with Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong? I had down Mesanna, Bleak, Kyronix and Misk. HOWEVER, there is a 4th that I missed writing down. Can anyone enlighten me? It wasn't listed in the journal report. Thanks!
In the picture it just looks like the 3 Bleak, Kyronix and Misk... The other standing there is I'm guessing the local EM.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Oh yea! that does make 4! thanks :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hilariously, I got Mesanna's Head on a Pike today trick-or-treating...