• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

lag in uo

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for about the past week, my ping in uo shoots up from 15 to 300+ for a few hours each night no idea why... my ping in ventrilo does this as well but the internet is working fine, its really annoying... any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for about the past week, my ping in uo shoots up from 15 to 300+ for a few hours each night no idea why... my ping in ventrilo does this as well but the internet is working fine, its really annoying... any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?
I am having the same trouble, I was guessing it was only me and I put it down to my computer, but it may not be it if I'm the only one..

I'd also like to know on any ideas how to fix it.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cache filling, maybe wrong settings, adjust setting capture will cure i think!!!!!!

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ditto, same problem.. I'll be running fairly normal then I'll crash and have insane ping rates.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or more people might have started their nightly Bit Torrent sessions during that time and are hogging the traffic :D

If it happens regularly at a certain time, your ISP (or their partners) might be routing traffic via a different router that takes more hops. (eg to test their backup, or economical reasons)

Do a tracert when lag is good and another when it drops to 300. Then compare the results to see where the prob could be. Send both to your ISPs for them to check.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a while, I had the same problem (haven't played in a few days, don't know if its still an issue). I did a trace, and found that my traffic was being routed from the Netherlands to either Florida or California then to Catskills when I had the problem. I forget what the normal route does, but it certainly didn't route my packets 5000 km off course.

Anyhow, Halequin gave your starting point for troubleshooting.