• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Kyronix will there be snow!!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So far, we only got 2 days snow in Denmark, so why should it be different in UO?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only if they use the snow code circa 2009. The one that turned the foliage whitish and made brambles and such into snowdrifts...

Snow om the ground with green leaves on the trees and green grass clumps all over looks really fugly!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Snow??
lol, just be glad they bother to turn the server back on each day.
Snow is too much for our team of Devs......ok, our single Dev.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Snow??
lol, just be glad they bother to turn the server back on each day.
Snow is too much for our team of Devs......ok, our single Dev.
The more I think about this, the more I wonder at what point do we start holding the developers accountable for things like this.

And at what point did we start finding this acceptable?

The snow is pretty minor, and should take minimal effort to implement.

I'm pretty sure they didn't push out the expansion 2 months ago and then just drop the mic.

If they're not working on small things right now, what is it that they are working on?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, I like the 2009 winter code. I'd like it even more if it was accompanied by tamable greater white wyrms...
forget the snow! give us tameable greater white wyrms instead!!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasnt it players..esp t-hunters that complainted? The snow didnt look right with flowers in it, but I think it was good enough.. I loved it:(

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would hope either:
A) It doesn't snow in UO this year. (again, we didn't have snow last year)
or
B) they fix all the bugged tiles that block movement/rubberband you before they turn the snow on.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I enjoy the snow even if it were only during December... however I always wanted the 4 seasons. I would prefer if every month we have 1 week of Spring, 1 week of Summer, 1 week of Fall and 1 week of winter. I know the art is available in game to do this...

Some area's like the Jungles about Trinsic shouldn't really change much.... but other area's should and it would be kinda cool if 1 week of the month Ice Island was green...

Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy the snow even if it were only during December... however I always wanted the 4 seasons. I would prefer if every month we have 1 week of Spring, 1 week of Summer, 1 week of Fall and 1 week of winter. I know the art is available in game to do this...

Some area's like the Jungles about Trinsic shouldn't really change much.... but other area's should and it would be kinda cool if 1 week of the month Ice Island was green...

Anyway that's my thoughts on it.
Richard Garriot at one point said he had seasons on a list to implement, and a full self thriving ecology. I can't seem to remember if he said it had too many issues or they couldn't get it balanced.
He wanted it to be in depth, like summer is hot and there are issues that come with it like
"The sweat from your palms make the bandages slip"
Or special resources wouldn't spawn in any other season except winter or just at night time. Kind of like what he's doing in SoTa without the evil empire hounding him..at best SoTa will be an exceptional fantasy RPG, minus dinosaurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So many little bugs with the snow. I say if they do it they just do it in trammel and malas.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No snow, the patch alone takes too much time...
Huh? It's like 20 tiles sets they switch to snow..I can do it in fiddler in like 15-20 min. All that changes is the tiledata.mul and artLEGACY.uop

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't care of it's real or digital....

I hate snow.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Only if they use the snow code circa 2009. The one that turned the foliage whitish and made brambles and such into snowdrifts...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

From winter 2005 on Chessie.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Richard Garriot at one point said he had seasons on a list to implement, and a full self thriving ecology. I can't seem to remember if he said it had too many issues or they couldn't get it balanced.
He wanted it to be in depth, like summer is hot and there are issues that come with it like
Or special resources wouldn't spawn in any other season except winter or just at night time. Kind of like what he's doing in SoTa without the evil empire hounding him..at best SoTa will be an exceptional fantasy RPG, minus dinosaurs.

He always reminds me of my Brother..... takes something simple and over complicates it till it's impossible for anyone to remember all the rules BUT him and he always wins.

I'm fine with just having the appearance of seasonal changes. Sure more in depth things would be interesting... but he had animal husbandry and such in game as well... and we all know how that went... But having the appearance of Seasons gives you a stronger sense of time passing.

Though at this point most all of your characters should be dead. Since no one lives to be 189+ years old. Except we elves and the gargoyles perhaps. *grins*

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Garriott... :rolleyes: Talk about not living up to his own hype.

Implementing seasons in UO would be ridiculously simple, though it would require some extra world building to do it right.

Call the maps we have now "summer." Green, moderate looking "growth" etc.

Create a winter map that doesn't look like ****e. Snow covered trees in the temperate regions, drifts against static buildings, iced-over fresh waters. No small plants/flowers to poke through the snow. NO random patches of green like we have now with the clearings.

Fall: No or few leaves on deciduous trees, scattered leaves at their base. Random piles of leaves scattered around. Fewer flowers. Wild squash and corn.

Spring: Somewhat brighter green foliage, WAY more flowers, green brambles.

They could also set some decorations to automatically appear around the banks and such major holidays.

Sosaria needs to look lived in, less like the cardboard world we have now.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Garriott... :rolleyes: Talk about not living up to his own hype.

Implementing seasons in UI would be ridiculously simple, though it would require some extra world building to do it right.

Call the maps we have now "summer." Green, moderate looking "growth" etc.

Create a winter map that doesn't look like ****e. Snow covered trees in the temperate regions, drifts against static buildings, iced-over fresh waters. No small plants/flowers to poke through the snow. NO random patches of green like we have now with the clearings.

Fall: No or few leaves on deciduous trees, scattered leaves at their base. Random piles of leaves scattered around. Fewer flowers. Wild squash and corn.

Spring: Somewhat brighter green foliage, WAY more flowers, green brambles.

They could also set some decorations to automatically appear around the banks and such major holidays.

Sosaria needs to look lived in, less like the cardboard world we have now.
That would be a pretty large system to "automatically happen". As for doing it, it would have to be one of two things. Patched in every season since all art is static or they would have to add multiple art files or at least foliage art to make it simple. Like it's already semi in place for many trees. There a "tree" file and a foliage file. Making them rotate in and out might eat up quite a bit of memory up tho I'd assume.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would be a pretty large system to "automatically happen". As for doing it, it would have to be one of two things. Patched in every season since all art is static or they would have to add multiple art files or at least foliage art to make it simple. Like it's already semi in place for many trees. There a "tree" file and a foliage file. Making them rotate in and out might eat up quite a bit of memory up tho I'd assume.
Assume is right. If there were multiple files for the maps (one for each season) and if the foliage is somehow handled differently, then the client would only need to look at the date (as determined by the server) to determine which file to load. It would bloat the size of the client somewhat, but it would be worth it.

When they've patched in snow in the past, aside from 2009ish, all they've done is change a range of the grass type tiles to snow. Hence the fugly results.

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A strong El Mongbat will bring above average temperatures across the continent, with a mild winter expected throughout.

On a more serious note, as a few people have pointed out, the most recent iteration of the snow has left something to be desired from an aesthetic perspective. If we were to do any kind of winter themed content in the future, resources would likely be spent making one area look and feel special, as opposed to a mediocre showing across the entire land.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If it snows I won't complain. But having lived in snow country several times in my life, I can honestly say I don't miss it, even in UO. :rolleyes:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dear Gods of UO..... please.... please NO SNOW!

I enjoy pvping at yew gate without a migraine headache tyvm.

nextwindow

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Please no snow! Unless it's in Luna only!

The Great Blizzard in Malas 2016
-Winter is Coming!
Undead Winter Zombies come in waves!
Every 100 kills you get a Winter Orb!
10 Winter orbs to get a special glacial cloak!

are you allowed to use the word "blizzard" on this site?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

Turn on the 'fugly' flavor snow! It's fun running around in the snow without freezing anything off! :p

Switch to the leafless tree graphics we get in fel and turn nearly every ground tile snow white. The Ice Age of 2015. :D

Set the tile sets up for a nice easy change from green grass to a world buried in snow so it can be easily switched on and off each year.;)

The whimps :sad3: who can't stand it can shelter their chilly tootsies by moving to the tropic isles for a few months and let the strong roam the snows. :cool:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry?? some people complained because SNOW made things more difficult to navigate thru so you wont implement it anymore in an RPG???
Wow, i'm glad snow doesn't cause problems in real life with navigating to and from places......

Carry on pushing that 'cry baby' button, as you can see by the numbers playing these days it's obviously working....... :lame:

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It is El Nino... it isn't only affecting UO but also the real world... It is 50 today in Vermont! and we haven't had one snowstorm, not even an inch:sad3:!. NOT EVEN AN INCH!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! :sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I find myself baffled and confused as of why you lot of people are talking about winter during December, with summer only 10 days away from today!

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
if you guys really want snow then there is always ice island......as for me im now worshiping the UO God of all things warm and green during the month of December....All Hail El Mongbat................................@Kyronix can we get El Mongbat statues? lol he could be wearing some floral print shorts and some shades lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

He had lots of ideas. EA rushed the release of the game over his objections. Like if you killed all the sheep the wolves would come into town looking for food and such. He was way ahead of his time.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
A strong El Mongbat will bring above average temperatures across the continent, with a mild winter expected throughout.

On a more serious note, as a few people have pointed out, the most recent iteration of the snow has left something to be desired from an aesthetic perspective. If we were to do any kind of winter themed content in the future, resources would likely be spent making one area look and feel special, as opposed to a mediocre showing across the entire land.
Or in other words you ain't getting snow this year ;)