• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

KR is unplayable due to these crashes. WTF?

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Prince Caspian

I posted this a while back, this is an issue I had strictly with the KR client, but it seemed to go away. Well its back. With a vengence. Now I can't play UO KR without this occuring within 15 minutes...

First of all, the screen gets twitchy. Weird shards of graphics flicker across the screen.

Soon enough, the system engages the screen saver, as if my system has been idle for too long. A few times (like 3% of the time) I can get it back, but most of the time my computer just sits and takes no input, leaving me to hard reboot.

Sometimes it even beeps or makes a stuttering noise.

It used to do this every once in a while (mostly in towns, occasionally in dungeons) but now its gotten to the point I cannot use the KR client at all without my system crashing like this.

Updating the graphic drives does no good. Closing other applications does no good.

Does anyone else have this problem? What the hell?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like your video card is dying. Or at least somethin in your PC is. Considering the "goes to screensaver" thing.. i'm gonna guess the cooling fan if it isn't the video card? If it isn't something going kaput, it's at least something overheating.

Er.. someone wanna back me on this? I don't exactly always trust myself with such things, so a little secondary opinion might go a long way here.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this a while back, this is an issue I had strictly with the KR client, but it seemed to go away. Well its back. With a vengence. Now I can't play UO KR without this occuring within 15 minutes...

First of all, the screen gets twitchy. Weird shards of graphics flicker across the screen.

Soon enough, the system engages the screen saver, as if my system has been idle for too long. A few times (like 3% of the time) I can get it back, but most of the time my computer just sits and takes no input, leaving me to hard reboot.

Sometimes it even beeps or makes a stuttering noise.

It used to do this every once in a while (mostly in towns, occasionally in dungeons) but now its gotten to the point I cannot use the KR client at all without my system crashing like this.

Updating the graphic drives does no good. Closing other applications does no good.

Does anyone else have this problem? What the hell?

I have a lot of problem with kr and I stop to play with it until the devs will fix it enterely... it's a shame that they have stop to work on it...
they are making usefull server fix like this:
Fixed an error when milking a cow

why you need to play with kr when you can milk a cow?
let's go all to tame cows and sell milk, maybe this is the future of uo XD

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or just keep the case open during the hot season :)
Your motherboard will gather a lot of dust, but ventilation should improve substantially.
Not really ideal, I know....

K

KoolAidAddict

Or just keep the case open during the hot season :)
Your motherboard will gather a lot of dust, but ventilation should improve substantially.
Not really ideal, I know....
No dont do this!!
The systems are designed to have inflow and exhaust from the fans thru the cases to cool the things off. Taking the case off eliminates this. You will be worse off.

Sounds like the video card is dying or possible overheating itself. Check the video card fan to make sure its working.

Z

Zodiac19

I had to rebuild my system 6-8 weeks ago (new HD) and since the new install KR has been the most stable and problem free since the initial beta. I'm playing 99% in KR now. The only thing I do in 2D is house decor and I do not do much of that. So like the others have stated it realy sounds like you have a hardware issue croping up.

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like your video card is dying. Or at least somethin in your PC is. Considering the "goes to screensaver" thing.. i'm gonna guess the cooling fan if it isn't the video card? If it isn't something going kaput, it's at least something overheating.

Er.. someone wanna back me on this? I don't exactly always trust myself with such things, so a little secondary opinion might go a long way here.
I had this same problem in the past. Graphic intensive games would cause my computer to crash most of the times or go to a messed up screen, where as a game like UO 2d would work fine. I was trying to figure out what it was and one of my colleagues told me my video card is getting ready to die.

C

Clarifier

Sounds like a heat issue. Open up your case and make sure all your fans are spinning and clean. SOME PC's have a proper airflow design alot of times they don't tho (your "beige box" is a usual suspect here). So taking the side/sides off can help with heat problems (like someone else said tho crap can get in there). Dust is the #1 cause for components overheating if everything else is working as intended so make sure its nice and clean in there :)

C

Connor_Graham

I had to rebuild my system 6-8 weeks ago (new HD) and since the new install KR has been the most stable and problem free since the initial beta. I'm playing 99% in KR now. The only thing I do in 2D is house decor and I do not do much of that. So like the others have stated it realy sounds like you have a hardware issue croping up.
So you're not seeing random crashes in KR after playing for a while? I stopped using KR for anything other than the Heartwood quests due solely to this.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if it just started, its almost 100% an issue with your system and not the client, since there hasn't been any patches (as others have lamented in this very thread) for some time in KR, and they haven't done a whole bunch of performance tunning. I'd say get a can of compressed air and spray your inners of the computer case and see if that helps.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to me, the biggest problem with KR is how when you move around the same item either in your pack or on the ground KR often-times will just freeze everything an d you won't be able to pick anything up or drop anything or rearrange things in your pack anymore unless you restart UO entirely.

needless to say, this is devastating when trying to decorate a house.

the second biggest problem is how when you put bandages in your hotbar often it will include the bandages in your bank in the number thus making it so you can't bandage yourself since you don't have the bandages in your pack.. even though you do. that sounds confusing but other people using KR will understand it.

those two bugs right there are the most annoying i've encountered.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It sounds like a dying video card to me as well. I suddenly started having problems with the graphics in KR becoming corrupted earlier this year, and it was a dying video card. I was able to keep playing UO2D up until my replacement card arrived, but all of my 3D games stopped working.

Try firing up another 3D game if you have another one, and see what happens. If it works fine, then maybe it isn't your video card, but I'm betting you'll find it is a general problem.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hardware issue. Probably video card either dying or dying via overheating.

Make sure that if it has a fan that the fan is working. Check airflow, clean and oil fans, etc.

If nothing else helps, then it's time for a new video card.

G

gmcbroom

There is no doubt that KR has problems. All that remains is when they will fix them. They are going to use KR for the Stygian Abyss which should be out by years end. We should be patient.

As for you legendsguy, I have had both those problems and while the first requires me to restart the game. The Bandaid problem can be resolved by utilizing a macro. Naturally the hot bar issue is still there, but using the macro bypasses the need for you to use it.

http://www.uoguide.com/KR_Macros

It has a few macros you may find useful. Specifically the bandaid one.
I hope posting this site here falls within the guidelines of stratics website. If however it violates the guidelines then please accept my humble apologies and remove the address.

Sincerely,
gmcbroom

J

Joyous2K

they are making usefull server fix like this:
Fixed an error when milking a cow

why you need to play with kr when you can milk a cow?
let's go all to tame cows and sell milk, maybe this is the future of uo XD
LOL!! Good observation. It's not even like you are milking them either. You probably double click... see nothing happen.... then see text that says "Cow has been milked" and then a bottle in your pack is filled.

Awesome!! Great waste of resources!!! But the 10 year old vets were dying for this, I'm sure. We need more things like this. How about the ability to walk your pet dogs. That would be sooooo sandbox, ya know?

OP... yes KR is not supported anymore, but as this guy mentioned, you can milk a cow now. You may even be able to milk it in KR too, but instead of seeing a filled bottle, you will see blue rectangle.

G

gmcbroom

Joyous2K and Pinco are you 2 okay? Remember this is only a game since this game does appear to bother you perhaps you should stop playing it.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

KR is not supported anymore,

That would be incorrect. KR is currently supported on the same level as 2d as a client at the moment (if you've noticed, the patches we've gotten since January have been the same for BOTH clients). The focus of the devs since the move has been server side and event updates.

There IS reasoning behind the lack of KR-specific updates, and a few of us know what that reasoning is (or at least as it was given to us at the time), but we are not at liberty to say.

However to say that KR is "unsupported" is a fallacy.

J

Joyous2K

KR is not supported anymore,

That would be incorrect. KR is currently supported on the same level as 2d as a client at the moment (if you've noticed, the patches we've gotten since January have been the same for BOTH clients). The focus of the devs since the move has been server side and event updates.

There IS reasoning behind the lack of KR-specific updates, and a few of us know what that reasoning is (or at least as it was given to us at the time), but we are not at liberty to say.

However to say that KR is "unsupported" is a fallacy.
"Optimized for 2D" are the facts of Events 2008.

Maybe somewhere that means separate but equal but it really isn't. KR is just life supporting along. When things get missed, they stay missed. When gameplay is severely ******** from massive crashes, it stays that way. What's the big deal, there? A couple O' crashes?

Optimized for 2D is the current UO story.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The "optimized for 2d" was the initial two night event in Moonglow.

Yes, there IS a reason why KR is on the back burner right now, no, I can't say what it is, but it's not quite as pessimistic as you may think and is actually reasonably easy to figure out if you paid attention to dev team events.

The focus right now is on the events, and aside from the Moonglow two-nighter, is set to run in both clients.

As for crashes... haven't really had one I can remember in quite a while, and most of what's been posted as issues is either the latest install download which is borked, or hardware issues.

KR may have a few crash bugs left, but they are few and far between.

J

Joyous2K

The "optimized for 2d" was the initial two night event in Moonglow.

Yes, there IS a reason why KR is on the back burner right now, no, I can't say what it is, but it's not quite as pessimistic as you may think and is actually reasonably easy to figure out if you paid attention to dev team events.

The focus right now is on the events, and aside from the Moonglow two-nighter, is set to run in both clients.

As for crashes... haven't really had one I can remember in quite a while, and most of what's been posted as issues is either the latest install download which is borked, or hardware issues.

KR may have a few crash bugs left, but they are few and far between.
Warhorse smokebutt was released well after the initial two nights... unsupported in KR.... THreads are still invisible in KR. Unsupported.

I was just at the rad new fan dancer stranger event tonight and guess what?? Complete KR CRASH!! So much fun. I think it was because more than two things were happening at once, so I understand. It's just something I need to come to love about the client.

I left the event. Oh well. Events 08 isn't for KR anyway.