• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kingdom Reborn Interface fixes and Improvments

D

Diggity

Like I said, I could only see your point if someone was adding functionality not available to 2D or not intended by the devs, but so far that isn't the case nor do I for see it to be.
Even without modding, KR has a lot going for it as far as functionality and ease of use over 2d. Eg, the equip/unequip functions make it very easy to very brutally abuse +skill items. In an item based game, KR's inherent hotkey/macro system seem, to me anyways, vastly superior to 2d. You can simply outhotkey the 2d/uoassist setup.

Then you add the modding. KR mods can and do add additional functionality that is not available in 2d, eg Pinco's target window mod that gives numberic pct of hp left.

I'm sure the devs did intend and hope that KR's increased functionality would be a selling point for the players, but so far it hasn't been widely accepted. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, players can not or will not use KR. So it is not surprising that, when confronted with the realization that KR does provide some advantages to some players, some of the can not or will not use players respond that KR modders are cheaters.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then you add the modding. KR mods can and do add additional functionality that is not available in 2d, eg Pinco's target window mod that gives numberic pct of hp left.

Actually Pinco's arcanist Window add on does not add "functionality", but adds more information via display (same as the sextant coords and Tithing points in Ash's changes).

The ONLY "functionality" change to the KR interface I have seen to date is the Make Max change that keeps attempting to create an item after failure, and then it only equals the SAME ACTION as if you had a 100% success rate (no it doesn't give you a 100% success rate, it just keeps crafting until a "stop" condition is met).

Beyond that one tweak, everything in a KR UI, while they add a LOT of usefulness to the game has been information/visual tweaks.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see the custom skins as cheating. They make a great client even better. No real advantage over 2d, just a "skin".

Saying that, KR has disadvantages. The equip weap macro is a bit weird when switching from a two hand weap to a one hand weap and vice versa. The only way I can get it to work best for me is to "unequip" both hands, then delay .1, then equip right hand (with my one handed weap). Then another macro for the other way around. It's a real pain. But if going from one hand to one hand, it's fantastic. I hate this hiccup.

Also, the mouse buttons don't work (thumb buttons, center wheel button press, tilt wheel).

UOAssist works fine in these areas. Well, except for tilt wheels.

And I have yet to dl the skins. I'm afraid I might like them:cheerleader:

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iam very angry about this posts here, i dont know what this ppl are thinking kicking in modders ass, so wait till the devs fix it! i will delete the links soon. iam happy with my interface and want to share to users but if it is not wished i will remove it.

H

Heskey

Even without modding, KR has a lot going for it as far as functionality and ease of use over 2d. Eg, the equip/unequip functions make it very easy to very brutally abuse +skill items. In an item based game, KR's inherent hotkey/macro system seem, to me anyways, vastly superior to 2d. You can simply outhotkey the 2d/uoassist setup.
I feel I must inform you that pre-specified macros in UOAssist such as Bandage Self, Drink X/Y/Z Potion, Arm, Disarm, Take off hat, Dress/Undress, and a status bar showing health/mana/stamina as a changing colour-coded bar (High, Medium, Low), as well as a count from anything to gold, weight and Armour Rating to Number of regs and arrows/bolt in your UO -title bar- have been around for years, and are vastly more responsive and less complicated than the macro feature in KR.

There is no revelation to be heard from the KR macro system, and I consider UOA to still out-class it by leagues, as a long-term user of UOA who can say this from experience, and a current tester for KR.

The KR system is riddled with bugs including unresponsiveness, to just outright not doing what it's told. I set macros to bandage myself, and to cast chivalry spells; despite not specifying what to target, everytime I tried to use these abilities it would tell me I cannot see that / cannot perform beneficial acts on that target. Whether or not this is because it may default trying to target my CURRENT target (Which is just stupid, and should leave it on your cursor for you to decide by default), in which case every cast/ability macro needs a 'Wait for target' icon at the end, I don't know. I'll try that in the morning but I had to settle with dragging my spells and bandages to the hotbar, assign a hotkey there, and right click again to change who it would target by default.

Further to all this, the 12 hotbar assigned keys remain the same throughout the scroll of the bar.

If you fill up the first bar and assign macros, then add more to the second bar; they will all have the same hotkeys, and so to use abilities on other hotbars you will need to physically swap to that hotbar; or just place all abilities on a 'new hotbar' that will be placed somewhere on your screen and takes up way too much room.

And with regards to any comments about "Yeah but UOA costs so you're a loser on that point" - It costs $15, or £7.50 for me; a one-time fee I paid for out of my (at the time) £20 a month allowance YEARS ago and still reap the benefits for. So, money really isn't a factor.

The final ball-ache to add, is that unlike 2D, KR doesn't seem to save individual character's macros or interface setups anywhere, and so you have to re-configure everything from fresh when logging onto a character for the first time, instead of being able to copy a macro.txt file from one characters settings folder to another.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iam very angry about this posts here, i dont know what this ppl are thinking kicking in modders ass, so wait till the devs fix it! i will delete the links soon. iam happy with my interface and want to share to users but if it is not wished i will remove it.

No don't do that. You don't want the hardcore 2D anti KR players win because they just can't handle it that the KR UI is far more better then there old 2D one , ones you are use to it. Its hard for them to swallow KR is better then 2D + add on (UOA). Don't let there jealousy get to you. ;)

They will always find something new to complain about. Graphics are ugly, KR runs faster then 2D. UI modding is ilegal.... blablabla.... (insert next excuse here) .

KR with skins they ROCK ! :lol:

H

Heskey

Frarc, KR is an alright client and I'm quite enjoying my time testing it and messing around, but you're making a very bold statement in saying it outclasses 2D + UOA at this current moment in time.

Old UI + KR Graphics in game window would be a god-send, in all honesty.

D

Diggity

I feel I must inform you that pre-specified macros in UOAssist such as Bandage Self, Drink X/Y/Z Potion, Arm, Disarm, Take off hat, Dress/Undress, and a status bar showing health/mana/stamina as a changing colour-coded bar (High, Medium, Low), as well as a count from anything to gold, weight and Armour Rating to Number of regs and arrows/bolt in your UO -title bar- have been around for years, and are vastly more responsive and less complicated than the macro feature in KR.

I'm glad you at least tried KR and are basing your comments on your experience. As I noted, some people just cant' play KR smoothly and I agree it still has plenty of bugs. None are game stopping for me.

I've happily used UO-Assist since it became availble. Believe it was the best gaming dollars I've ever spent. I'm pretty familiar with 2d/assist macro keys and functions.

But overall, KR allows even more flexibility. Instead of dedicated remove rings/hat/ etc keys. KR allows you to fully or partially equip/unequip any armor/equipment/clothing slot. Plus you are not relegated to 4 dress or arm macros. KR is much quicker for me to equip a full suit and on some chars I have one hotkey for normal suit, one for dci, one for luck etc.

It is also possible to have a single macro equip skill items (say +45 skill chiv), cast remove curse, then reequip all your normal items. When I said brutally abuse + skill items, I meant you can do this for a lot of skills such as taming, barding etc. So in effect, if you carry enough items, you can have way over the 720 skill cap.

My dexxer now carries around 7 one handed weapons and 4 two handed weapons because it is so easy in KR to switch. I do agree that switching between left and right handed weapons is slower than 2d's equip last weapon macro. But it is not limited to just 2 weapon switching plus it also works with spell books.

Agreed that equipment/item macro setup in KR is unnecessarily clunky compared to UO Assist, but I"ve gotten used to it. And there are still certain things that it doesn't do. But overall, I've pretty much switched to KR since the November patch last year.

If you haven't already, you should check out spellweave.com for some of the other issues you've noted and other hints on KR.

If can run KR, keep at it a little longer. It probably took me a couple months to get used to it.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
everytime I tried to use these abilities it would tell me I cannot see that / cannot perform beneficial acts on that target. Whether or not this is because it may default trying to target my CURRENT target (Which is just stupid, and should leave it on your cursor for you to decide by default), in which case every cast/ability macro needs a 'Wait for target' icon at the end, I don't know. I'll try that in the morning but I had to settle with dragging my spells and bandages to the hotbar, assign a hotkey there, and right click again to change who it would target by default.
You set the default target for macros the exact same way you do for hotbars. I don't understand why you were having problems with this if you were already aware of the default targeting for hotbar actions.

Further to all this, the 12 hotbar assigned keys remain the same throughout the scroll of the bar.

If you fill up the first bar and assign macros, then add more to the second bar; they will all have the same hotkeys, and so to use abilities on other hotbars you will need to physically swap to that hotbar; or just place all abilities on a 'new hotbar' that will be placed somewhere on your screen and takes up way too much room.
If you hotkeys assigned to an action, but don't want to have those things visible - make a macro. Each hotbar slot is nothing more than externally visible, one-action macro. The whole point of a scrolling hotbar is to minimize the number of keys that you need to bind while still allowing for multiple setups that somebody can toggle through based on the situation. For example, somebody might have a roleplayed miner who is also capable of combat. Hotbar 1 might be filled with macros that are useful for mining, hotbar 2 might be filled with macros that are useful for combat, hotbar 3 might have a whole bunch of emotes they frequently use while hanging out in taverns, and hotbar 4 might have macros for different songs their character sings. They might want all of that to be on 12 buttons with a way to cycle, as opposed to 48 buttons.
Some people do not find that useful. If you don't, then just use one of the cycling hotbars, and put all your other hotkeyed actions on new hotbars or as macros.

The final ball-ache to add, is that unlike 2D, KR doesn't seem to save individual character's macros or interface setups anywhere, and so you have to re-configure everything from fresh when logging onto a character for the first time, instead of being able to copy a macro.txt file from one characters settings folder to another.
They're saved in your My Documents folder. See here:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/kr/krguide/user_data.shtml

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Replying to no one in particular...I am amused at how ignorant many people on these forums are about LUA/XML interface edits. It was wise of the dev team to allow this, because like World of Warcraft, now players CAN change things as they please if the devs won't give it to them. Being able to modify a client within the parameters allowed by the dev team is a good thing.

Those of you scared of hacking...there is no proof anyone has ever been hacked by an XML edit, now, if you were stupidly downloading some random .exe or flash that's where hacks come from.

I am glad some people of the UO community are taking initiative and making mods. Now, if only it could be expanded to the level of mods that exists for WoW and have a limitless way your game client can look, and all sorts of wonderful features the devs probably will NOT add due to lack of time [such as DPS meters and such]

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't KR users see other people's virtue status? There's no button on their paperdoll, unless I'm blind.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi folks,

I have a question pertaining to a problem I am having with items showing up in my backpack using KR. I can only see items if I use the old style free form view. If I use the grid view or the scroll down view I "might" see (notice the word "might") an icon or a number showing say bandages or ingots, gps but no icons. The first install I actually had the back pack working and looking correctly. Now on a different hard drive after 5 attempts I have had no luck getting it to look and operate correctly again...

The question is, has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, did you get it fixed and how?

I've installed the game 5 times, downloaded all the mess over 5 times from different locations and still get this problem on fresh installs, new hard drives. I work for a computer company repairing other people's computers everyday so I know what I'm doing as far as simple things like Direct X, drivers, etc.

The system I am using has 4 gigs of memory, an AMD 64 3500+ CPU, a Radeon 1600 video card (yeah it sucks) and Windows XP SP 3.

Thanks. :gee:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I believe I remember a couple of people having basically the same problem, particularly with grid view. It was on the pre-crash Stratics KR board and if I remember correctly, they were also using Radeon cards, but I don't remember which models.

If you've got everything updated, my only guess is an incompatability with the game and the card.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reply Dermott. I'll swap the card out and see what happens as soon as I find my old NVidia card. :thumbup1:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of the reason I do not activly use KR was the performance issue.

I have an NVIDIA 6200 256MB ddr2 card. with a 2GB RAM, 3.26GHZ Celeron cpu.

I also have a 22 inch Wide Screen lcd. I had KR set for full screen resolution of 1680x1240 Full Screen resolution.

What a huge difference seting the Full Screen Resolution to 800x600 made.

I view this as a problem because I never had an issue running EQ on that setup.

I would have thought the screen resolution being the same as the desktop seting resoultion would have been the best.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back pack problem resolved. Thanks Dermott! :thumbup1:

Well, that actually was the problem. It only took me three hours to dig through spare parts, video cards, motherboards and such to find an nVidia pci-e I wanted to try. I'm a pack-rat, I wish we had a real life turnin for some groovy stuff... annnyway, it's an old card but does well even with a wide screen, I figured that would give me some problems but I was lucky, it's somewhere in between obsolete and using it for a non-gaming machine. Interesting but laggy unless at low res like Enigma was talking about 1280 X 1024 down to 800 X 600...down right blurry at that resolution. I suppose I'll swap out for a better vid card tomorrow nVidia no doubt or at least I hope so if we have a spare laying about. If not I'll just use KR for crafting and other repetitive tasks.

What I don't understand is I actually had it working once using the Radeon but it was on a 7200 RPM standard drive and not a Serial ATA not to mention it looked AND ran great at 1680 X 1050. Strange. Maybe I'll just switch hard drives for UO.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

B

butthead owns

yeah well be nice if the talking in kingdom was same as in 2d and if your player looked the same as in 2d omg that would be the best i think in kingdom most of the art is crap but there is alot thats cool too but mostly junky stuff is stuff u own lol and your player looks as if he bent on his knees when rideing animals its looks like junk just copy the 2d image and put it in kingdom reborn and also the house deco items is kinda dumb to make it look too dorky comon whos makeing this stuff old people get some plaers to assit in makeing items u could gather few from each shard and take them to gms valleys and go over many items which people dont like this would give u the players advice which shld make the game better i say thatn so old guy makeing an item and your stuck with what he thinks is cool like u could make new items besides copying old ones and giveing them names what a crock that is i have 6 power crstals now with all diffent name like imprison dog ferrit and squrril why u just didnt make the figure them place in in ice box or sumtin cool like the smirring crastls the big ones and place a ferit in it or what have u