• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kinda new to game. Why do people play melee in PvM?

M

maltyler84

Hello. I am kinda new to the game and was wondering for PvM why would someone want to play a melee class instead of a Mage? Without hit-chance, defense-chance, slayer weapons and max resists being a melee class seems utterly useless when taking on high fame monsters. A Mage just needs to summon Earth Elementals and throw a heal every now and then. So what's the benefit of being a melee class?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Are you familiar with sampires? They are a melee class that is quite capable of tackling high-end monsters. It is true that mages are easier to play in PvM, but melee characters (and archers) tend to deal more damage at a faster rate than mages.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because, casters cant solo very high level monsters, the summoned creature die in seconds (with the exception of Mysics, but it takes a very long time)

Melee characters can deal huge amounts of damage and dont have to worry about running around to stay alive. They can also use a whirlwind weapon to kill many weaker monsters at one time much more quickly than the area spells casters can.

The strengths and weaknesses of the classes really only come out in very difficult fighting.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
^ what Smoot said. :D

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello. I am kinda new to the game and was wondering for PvM why would someone want to play a melee class instead of a Mage? Without hit-chance, defense-chance, slayer weapons and max resists being a melee class seems utterly useless when taking on high fame monsters. A Mage just needs to summon Earth Elementals and throw a heal every now and then. So what's the benefit of being a melee class?
One word rebuttal: Sampire.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What fun is "Sit back and do nothing" exactly?

M

maltyler84

I've only been playing the game for 2 weeks. I started out as a Paladin/Swordsman but then switched to my Mage because someone gave me a lower reagent cost suit of armor. My Magery is at 93.4 and so far farming with Earth Elementals is way easier than whiffing more than half the time on my Paladin. I have no idea what a Sampire is but I'll have to look into it. Thanks everyone.

C

CaptRex

I like melee chars because most of the melee characters has a high defense and everytime I'm on a war, I always on a front line.. :scholar: