• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keep the "I'm leaving" posts coming I guess......

• Thread starter imported_GalenKnighthawke
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

As much as I don't like seeing the "I'm Leaving" posts, for a lot of reasons that I'd get flamed for if I went into, I do have to say....The reverse correlation between people I see in-game and those posts continues.

The more of those posts I see, the more people I see actually playing the game.

Casual players seem back.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep I would have to agree.

A few months ago Oceania was very quiet, but recently has picked up quite substantially, it is still a small shard, but things are on the mend, it would seem.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep...I see new names all the time, on Pac, these days. We watched this poor guy just getting pounded in Destard, trying to tame one of the new Greater Dragons, so we helped him out. Got him into an almost all 70s LRC suit, for a good price (payments allowed, of course!
), and I would have to say...definitely seems to be a bit of new blood flowing where it counts...in the game itself!

Yeppers...keep em coming, if that's what it takes!!

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could it be that
*SHOCK HORROR*
KR is working?

What other advertising has been done lately? It's been KR KR KR KR and nothing but, even on uo.com.

Like I have always said, KR was never going to be the client that the old timers all started to play, but it would appear it is doing what it was designed for, to make it easier and more appealing for new players to join us in UO.

This is just speculation, obviously... but IMO KR is starting to become what it was meant to be.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR could be a part of it. Also, it could be that more word of mouth is being done, as well.

KR still needs lots of work, but is definitely improving. A lot of the new people seem to be with other, older players, from what I have seen, too.

But all in all, something is driving a little more interest in the game, and it sure isn't their Advertising Campaign!! LOL!!

No matter what, I am glad to see it, and try to jump in and help flailing people out, when we can.

B

Babble

*shrugs*

I consider going back to trial accounts again.
Though the last time I quit I finally caught up with reading and should do so again anyway.

Just don't know why I should pay to play at the moment is all and I am cheap.

G

I do not think so...

I guess it could vary from shard to shard. But I have meet 3 new players within the last week. Each had been playing for less than 2 weeks. None were returning players.

They each asked me questions about using the interface, like how to mark quest items, one I had to explain insurance too, the other wanted to make a macro.

I asked each one which client they were using(since the commands are different), each one told me 2d.

Had a nice talk with 2 of them about why they came to UO, since both had played WOW. Both stated that after about a year, WOW is boring. But so far with UO, there is tons of stuff to do, skills wise and build wise. I also asked about graphics, both stated that while yes WOW does look better, its the game play that counted to them. Both had seen people talk about UO, and thought to check out a 10 year game. They figured if it has lasted 10 years there must be something good about it.

Then I got asked why I would help new players? Simple selfishness, I told them. If I help you out (explain game workings, maybe some armor, mark a rune or two) and you fall in love with the game, you keep your account open. Which means EAMythic keeps the servers running longer until UO is no longer profitable. Which makes me happy.

I

<blockquote><hr>

keep fooling yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked over your past posts. Well, some of them. Based upon a sample, I have noted the following.

1. With the possible exception of myself (let's face it, I'm a God-damned lightning rod for some reason...*sighs*), you've participated in or started more locked threads than I've ever seen.

2. When you played (not the past tense), you played on Siege, a shard that is consciously set up to not be representative of the game as a whole.

3. In the 3 pages of posts or so that I sampled, there were at least 3 or 4 threads that dealt with your leaving the game, or having left it. One guy on Siege actually thanked you for leaving. You seem very unclear on exactly when you left, or if you are still playing for the moment, but are in the process of leaving.

I admit that I'm a lightning rod, and I contradict myself on occasion. Several people on LS will thank me for leaving if I ever leave the game or the shard. (There are at least 5 to 10 players that I can think of right off the bat.)

But I, at least, play this game, and am aware of the fact that I play it.

Also, I am basing my observations on.....Well, on what I observe.

I am making no pretense that my observations are anything other than observations, with all that that term implies.

You, however, are either leaving, or in the process of leaving, a shard which is consciously not representative of the others. You gave your stuff away, or say you did, 2 months ago. And you appear based on your previous posts to, like many people, have difficulty figuring out the difference between your observations, your own preferences, and objective facts.

This is U-Hall, so who knows. In a rational universe, however, given all of the above, you'd have nearly zero credibility on a topic like this.

-Galen's player

A

AdamD

There was a spike of new players signing up on UOF to, asking questions
I believe most were running UOKR, although some have since switched to UO2d, heh.

I

<blockquote><hr>

I believe most were running UOKR, although some have since switched to UO2d, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my, that's quite amusing.....Not sure what to make of that.

lol

-Galen's player

A

AdamD

Yea, I spoke to a couple who haven't posted since starting and they've quit allready, stating the software is to buggy
They also didn't know there was a 2D client available

DeadCrafter

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you should take a run through Origin and Lake Austin. Once you get past 1 Screen from Luna or Umbra the place is empty of housing. We never had the population of Atlantic or Pacific but we were able to have 30-50 people fights everynight 2 years ago. Now it's a ghost town. I've stopped playing because there's no one left. I think Larisa can confirm this. Two months ago I was able to place a 16x15 right on Brits guard zone on Pacific. It was in Fel but come on I remember when you couldn't place a 7x7 anywhere there. Altantic also has lots of spots open. Take your blinders off. The Emperor has no clothes. Well maybe he has some briefs on, but he'll be nude soon.

I

imported_Spiritless

You seem pretty desperate to make this point. This is, after all, the third time you've posted the exact same thread on this forum within a couple of months:<ul>[*]#1
[*]#2[/list]You can continue posting it until the cows come home; it doesn't make it any truer. If anything, the number of IDOCs I've been noticing has been increasing, rarely with any houses going up in the old places.

Frankly, I don't really think it is disputable that shards are emptier now than they've ever been. Most people who have been playing awhile will agree with this.

See you again next month, when you recycle the exact same thread I guess. Full marks for your persistence in trying to pretend there's not a problem though by snubbing people leaving due to displeasure of the state of the game.

G

Here's a handful of quotes from Europa board, dating from 20th February to today. No names, but if you're curious enough they're easy to find:

<blockquote><hr>

Looking for a little bit of help *blushes* i'm really sorry but i've just arrived in new haven and would like a little bit of help. i've never played osi before
------------------------
Hail to you all
I finally decided to return to this wonderful game after finding out not one game ive played compares to Ultima.
-----------------------
I can't believe I am back here in UO...I left and thought I would never come back but here I am. There is just something about this game that I love!
-------------------
Returning to UO....and finding that most of your stuff is gone
My own fault for keeping everything in my house which has obviously long since collapsed, so i'm going to have to start building my empire from scratch again!
------------------------------
Thank god for barians well oiled door! Im home! (again)
------------------------------
Hi all ... I've been out of UO for a long time ... since late 2001/early 2002 ... but considering a return.
------------------------------------
Hi,
I am new to UO and play on Europa. I try to make a warrior and have fought a lot in old haven.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

*sigh*

Its like a whole gaggle of Comical Ali impersonators.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen a good number of new players on Pacific. I seen two or three at Luna bank last night. I could tell they were newer by the way they were all talking.

I also know of a few vets who haven't played in like seven years have come to give UO another go. There may even be some more members of their guild to return.

I

Actually, I think I've said it more often than that.

I've just usually done it in response to other threads.

I continue to repeat myself because, sadly, on the Internet endless repetition is necessary. Why not similarly whine about the same people who keep saying they are leaving and that everything sucks? Because you are likely one of them, and you'd be whining about yourself, perhaps?

And also because I find it a remarkable. I keep logging in, expecting to find LS as empty as it should be, judging by the boards. And what do I see? People.

Less than, say, 7 years ago? More than, say, 1 year ago. More than 6 months ago.

Even more remarkable is how often people claim that the end of UO is in sight.

I've also stated repeatedly that the first prediction of UO's imminent death that I can personally locate dates to about one month after its launch.

UO may one day die. Hell, let's assume for argument's sake that it WILL, definitely.

When it does, people like you will say, "Yep, you see, I was right." And you'll forget that you were saying the same thing for 10+ years, and were wrong for 10+ years.

One of these days you'll be right by the luck of the draw I suppose. You'll relish it as though it were an honest prediction when in fact you were throwing feces against the wall until some of it stuck.

Oh well. When this happens I'll find another game to play.

-Galen's player

<blockquote><hr>

You seem pretty desperate to make this point. This is, after all, the third time you've posted the exact same thread on this forum within a couple of months:<ul>[*]#1
[*]#2[/list]You can continue posting it until the cows come home; it doesn't make it any truer. If anything, the number of IDOCs I've been noticing has been increasing, rarely with any houses going up in the old places.

Frankly, I don't really think it is disputable that shards are emptier now than they've ever been. Most people who have been playing awhile will agree with this.

See you again next month, when you recycle the exact same thread I guess. Full marks for your persistence in trying to pretend there's not a problem though by snubbing people leaving due to displeasure of the state of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on your shard. Go look at UO posts then go Legends shard. You`ll be wondering if your on a PR Shard.

S

Slicer

I've been doing IDOC's for about 4 or 5 months now. At first I was worried about how many I was seeing, then about a month ago the number seemed to drop. I was suddenly having a difficult time finding houses in any stage of wear.

I started noticing about 3 weeks ago, that the open locations where IDOC"s had dropped were suddenly sprouting new homes. I have no idea if these are new players, or old players opening new accounts to hold another house.

All in all I'm beginning to be a lot more optomistic about Ultima's future.

G

People who are satisfied with the game will say "oh I see new players every day UO will live forever" and people who are dissatisfied will say "people are quitting in droves, UO will close next week" this is how its been on these boards for as long as I can remember.

P

pikon198

<blockquote><hr>

People who are satisfied with the game will say "oh I see new players every day UO will live forever" and people who are dissatisfied will say "people are quitting in droves, UO will close next week" this is how its been on these boards for as long as I can remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true! I wonder which way the scale really tips though...

F

Fayled Dhreams

huh! soooo ...
Total MMORPG Active subscriptions - relative contribution ...

overall ... WoW ... relative contribution ... is the only one growing ...

thought that was a "given" ... ???

*shrugs*
That Uo even shows up on that chart ... well ... more to the op's point ... isn't it?

just a few returners, here and there ... a trickle ... keeps UO on that chart ...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Depends on your shard. Go look at UO posts then go Legends shard. You`ll be wondering if your on a PR Shard.

[/ QUOTE ]
eh? *scratches head*

I

Citing the MMOG Chart, or its more recent competitor for that matter, is the MMORPG equivalent of citing a chain E-Mail in a political debate. Some of those chain E-Mails are, by coincidence, accurate. Most, however, aren't.

Why more people don't question that guy and his sources is beyond me.

Hey, I admit he might have some kind of pipeline into the industry and have access to data that most of the companies no longer release publicly. Anyone can set up a web site, however. (Well, I can't. Anyone who knows how and has the money can.) And your site can say pretty much anything you wish.

I never once denied that UO's likely way off from its peak, and I never once denied that UO may well be shut down one day (so might Starbuck's Coffee for that matter, as might all business ventures for any number of reasons).

All I've ever said on this topic is that I see more people playing, the more "leaving" posts that I see. I have made no claims about subscriptions, I have made no pretense that my observations are anything but my observations.

I don't know why the mere possibility that UO may survive offends people so much. If you hate this game so much, why on earth do you continue to post on its boards? There's something really crazy about that.

-Galen's player

G

Argh
Hasnt that chart been annoyingly the same for the last 5 years minus new M's that come out then drop in subscription.

BlAH.

I guess Im just seeing hallucinations all over atlantic.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Nine of them are from the Circle Crew... do expect twelve more to register.

Funny detail:
Looking at the info above... seems UO is slowly moving to zero%...

Who wants to be the last man aboard!

Yup... this is why UO wont vanish... we're all Captains!

* chapeau to you all that make my UO gaming a blast *

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Citing the MMOG Chart, or its more recent competitor for that matter, is the MMORPG equivalent of citing a chain E-Mail in a political debate. Some of those chain E-Mails are, by coincidence, accurate. Most, however, aren't.

Why more people don't question that guy and his sources is beyond me.

Hey, I admit he might have some kind of pipeline into the industry and have access to data that most of the companies no longer release publicly. Anyone can set up a web site, however. (Well, I can't. Anyone who knows how and has the money can.) And your site can say pretty much anything you wish.

I never once denied that UO's likely way off from its peak, and I never once denied that UO may well be shut down one day (so might Starbuck's Coffee for that matter, as might all business ventures for any number of reasons).

All I've ever said on this topic is that I see more people playing, the more "leaving" posts that I see. I have made no claims about subscriptions, I have made no pretense that my observations are anything but my observations.

I don't know why the mere possibility that UO may survive offends people so much. If you hate this game so much, why on earth do you continue to post on its boards? There's something really crazy about that.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]
Good post. In response I will say a few things:
1) Claudio is one of the group of people that say 'uo is dying' thus, as a previous post said, most of his posts are not very optimistic and unbalanced toward a negative slant.
2)That chart is meaningless. It has fake info. Most MMOGs do not release subscription numbers. Not to mention he does not say where he got it.

People can choose to take those charts and numbers as fact, but they are bs. Usually they are from some website (take mmorpg.com) and it is based off of the website's userbase- NOT real numbers.

I am not saying UO has 1,000,000,000,000 subscribers, Im not even saying it has more than that chart indicates- all I am saying is the chart is BS and should be taken with a grain of salt... a big one.

And, people have been saying uo is dying for years now... many years. They have been saying uo is getting shut down soon... sayin that for years... All I can say to that is: 'told ya so'. We are still here. I win, you lose.

B

Babble

As some mmorpgs are profitable from 5.000 to 25.000 players EA could keep it open forever.
For some time the cut off point for many mmorpgs was 25.000, but these days it seems even lower for some companies (Horizons, Irth)

So basically UO could survive without any western player even.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

Or any player above 6' !!!

Or under 75 pounds !!!

Statistics is FUN!

*friendly tease!*