• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just some questions

• Thread starter bombvoyage
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

bombvoyage

Hi there,

as i was enjoying my OLD bard a while back with just music and provocation i am about to start a new one. I would appreciate if you could rate my template and answer the few questions i have:

Template Myst-Bard (710 Skill Points only on this Account)

120 Music
120 Provo
120 Disco

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
110 Magery

Questions

(1) Is this template nice to have in both solo/group settings ?
(2) Once i reached 90 in Provo/Disco is it possible to just advance to 120 with using the masteries ?
(3) Will i lock Music at 100 until i have 120 in both Provo/Disco ?
(4) Is a gargoyle a good choice for a bard or have missed something important ?

Thx for helping me out !

Z

Zero Day

What's the 110 Magery for? (so you can carry a mage weapon?)

What do you plan on doing with the template, PvP or PvM
Either way your mana regeneration will be a little stretched.

How do you plan on playing it?
Have a RC dish out your damage and you buff it with the bard? Do you plan on firing off mysticism spells to do damage?
Are you going to support a group?

Q2: Yes
Q3: Yes
Q4: Gargoyle is a nice choice for a bard since you don't have to carry a mount.

B

bombvoyage

Ok ill try to make some points more clear ...

- i don't like the idea of not having magery on a character at least i want to be able to gate/recall/resurect etc. so its just for the utility - maybe chiv is an option but i don't know the new skills

- this toon is just for PVM - both team and solo play

- Plan is to use the RC to do damage, provo mobs and and of course buff the group and debuff the mobs

Z

Zero Day

Well then thats a fine template for what you want to do.
You probably only need about 100 magery.
If you could get some +skill equipment for mysticism/magery/focus/med and put some skill points into meditation that would be helpful.
If you dont have the equipment its prolly better for you to stay human since the JOAT will give you 20 meditation base which will help your mana regen. If you could find 50 points to put into meditation that could be helpful though.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just created that exact template for PvM and it works extremely well. You will want to make sure you max out lmc, mr, and mana increase as much as possible on the suit. I went with 110 magery to fail EV's less often, as I there are times it's prudent to stay mounted for a fast getaway lol. Also, I heal guildies for an extra point or two with the higher magery. I put the extra ten points in med, though at some point in time I will slap a 120 magery on the character because....well, I just like my 120 mages.:) I generally discord, RC, barding mastery of choice, kill. Lather, rinse and repeat. It works VERY well.

B

bombvoyage

so ... the main concerns as far as i see are:

- not enough mana regen (without meditation)
- mysticism lacks a good direct dmg spell

so ... how much will i gimp myself ?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
most people go either one way or the other.
either myst with focus and little to no magery
or magic with med and no myst.

myst direct damage spells are good.
i like the 2 high end ones.
the hail storm and the other one, cant recall its name off hand.

what ya need to do is just pick which way ya wanna go with it.
i have both templates and they are both good and fun to use.

since your just coming back id recomend going myst and focus just for a bit of a change.
pick up some lower end magic and then get it higher with a ring and watch and book if need be.

like some of the guys said, idealy you could go with like 70 chiv and dump the rest into med.
no invis but a nice heal and cure spell that are uber fast with FC and FCR.

hope that helps?

oh, and one of your original questions.
lock your music at GM (100) until you have your disco and provo over 90.
then once you go get the mastery and start using that to train you can set your music to raise as your train with masteries.

reason being that when your using the direct skill you need the music at GM for the check.
with the masteries its just a straight skill check and then its straight over to the mastery check.
so id has nothing to do like it does with the direct skill.
no bonus and such.

B

bombvoyage

ok first all thanks for all the help ... really helped me ... i guess will try both styles and maybe report back in awhile ... as fas as meditation goes ... it is a very easy skill to train and i could soulstone and switch to just magery / meditation instead of magery / mysticism ... I'm not sure if chiv is something for me as i would indeed miss invisibility a lot i think !

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im with ya there.
invis has been my crutch for 15 years, haha

B

bombvoyage

ok as far as i understand it:

is using magery without eval int of any use ? arnt energy vortexes much better with eval int ?

B

bombvoyage

Ok ... i played around with my template as i am concerned about the mana regen and id like to hear if this template is any good for "team pvm" and "solo pvm"

115 music
115 provo
115 disco

120 focus
115 mystic
80 magery
50 meditation

Or is it a bad idea not to go legendary with the bard skills ? I guess 50 meditation will help me with my mana regen.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the 120 in the barding skills will help you for direct use of the skills, but that can be buffed up with a ring or watch and yes, you will need that if your killing 160 barding diff stuff.
now, that said, if you plan on using the barding mastery songs then yes you will need real skill as the perks go off of your real skill not your ringed up skill.

with what you have above maybe try this.
go to 120 in the barding skills, then top up the magic a bit.
leave a little in med.
then build up a 40 LMC suit with as much MR on it as you can.
so like 10-15 MR.
that coupled with the 120 focus SHOULD be enough to keep you going i would think.

if its not you can always try to pick up a 9MR one handed weapon and shield, that will add 18MR to ya.
hard to come by but not impossible of you farm shame and wrong. i know i went out and farmed some up just for my disco tamer and they are worth the effort to get.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok as far as i understand it:

is using magery without eval int of any use ? arnt energy vortexes much better with eval int ?
eval is used for all direct magic spells except mind blast.
and all summons except EVs.
my bards only use mind blast and EVs, hehe

im pretty sure they dont effect EVs, i know ive not had any problems with mine.
and i havnt noticed any difference between them with or without eval.

B

bombvoyage

Ok so this this is what i am thinking about now =)

120 music
120 disc
120 provo
120 focus
110 mystic
80 magery
40 medi

All that with lmc and mr on equip. I really dont need very high magery because i will use no EVs but RCs

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I would try for 120 mystic, and you can always put mystic/med/magery on jewels as needed jewels only weigh 1 and I always carry a extra set to swap out to boost skills if needed

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ok so this this is what i am thinking about now =)

120 music
120 disc
120 provo
120 focus
110 mystic
80 magery
40 medi

All that with lmc and mr on equip. I really dont need very high magery because i will use no EVs but RCs
that should work good.
like storm said, slap a couple points of magic and myst onto a ring and watch and your laughing.

the myst is good with that healing winds and the RCs
i really like it.
infact this whole thread has me really missing playing my mystic bard, haha