• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just sitting here hitting F5 waiting for a link to a live feed...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Gentlemen, let's not debate minor semantics and personal jabs on what has otherwise been a clean thread. Please do not focus on personal issues/differences and let's get back on track with the overall discussion.
I didn't realize there was a problem. On the internet one tends to read into things the way they see things and may have nothing to do with the intent of the post. Although I think all the topics seem directly related to the topics that were brought up at the anniversary by the team. I'm all for blowing sunshine around but when decisions involve peoples wallets I know things can get personal and I understand that. I've not taken anything personally negative out of this, we're all big boys and girls. Sure I sat in a dark corner and cried for a for hours but I feel better now :p

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They haven't said why, so I am not sure.
Isn't it obvious?
They're going F2P. An average player wanting to (re)try UO would rather expect an official forum than some 3rd party forum. At least I would, if I wouldn't know about stratics.
If I google for 'UO forum', stratics is the third result listed. So how is the average player supposed to know, that stratics is something semi-official, because devs come here and read posts and also respond?

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Isn't it obvious?
They're going F2P. An average player wanting to (re)try UO would rather expect an official forum than some 3rd party forum. At least I would, if I wouldn't know about stratics.
If I google for 'UO forum', stratics is the third result listed. So how is the average player supposed to know, that stratics is something semi-official, because devs come here and read posts and also respond?
They mentioned they will be making an "official" forum that is set to release very soon. Will have strict rules, and if you don't follow you will be banned.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They mentioned they will be making an "official" forum that is set to release very soon. Will have strict rules, and if you don't follow you will be banned.
Yes, I know. My post was in response to why they're making an official forum.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That was Starr Long that mentioned that. And I thought Starr said that he saw one instance of cybering with a child NPC and immediately removed children from UO.

I think the comment was of Richard seeing the Cybering, mentioning it to Starr, and Starr pointing out the pedo-cybering potential. And when it proved out, that led to Starr pulling it. But, if someone ever posts a video of the speeches, we can double-check.

Of course, there's still little gems like this:
wood.gif

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think the comment was of Richard seeing the Cybering, mentioning it to Starr, and Starr pointing out the pedo-cybering potential. And when it proved out, that led to Starr pulling it. But, if someone ever posts a video of the speeches, we can double-check.

Of course, there's still little gems like this:
View attachment 72489
You wish is my command. The entire presentation has been uploaded. As for their segment you can find it here:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were several current EMs in attendance as well as at least a couple past EMs. I did get some pics, but mostly I was just so scatter brained with nerves that it was all I could do just to ask them to sign my little book and I didn't ask for a pic also. Our founding fathers were kind enough to grant me this one tho. Please pardon the expression on my face, I think I was about to explode with glee.

View attachment 72407
They call that a NerdGasm :p

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nothing currently stops EVERYONE in the game from doing the same thing
That's the old "slippery slope" argument, and it's a logical fallacy in this case, and has been argued exhaustively elsewhere. This 90-day thing has been the policy for how many years? And yet everyone does NOT do it. So something MUST be stopping them.
And what would that be?
1. it's inconvenient.
2. Once the account expires, the householder can no longer get into the house - and it sounds like pretty soon once the account expires, nobody can get in the house, if we understand the coming changes correctly, so there goes a part-time house for part-time play on other shards.
3. Most players do want to support the game and pay full prices for the accounts they regularly use, and as Atlantic Realtor says, these 90-day accounts are just extra money for BS that we would not pay for if the policy were to change.
So there are at least three things that disprove your thesis that "nothing currently stops EVERYONE in the game from doing the same thing."

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the 46:30 mark for the first characters logging in and cybering.

The reasons for removing children is around the 2:04:30 mark.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the old "slippery slope" argument, and it's a logical fallacy in this case, and has been argued exhaustively elsewhere. This 90-day thing has been the policy for how many years? And yet everyone does NOT do it. So something MUST be stopping them.
And what would that be?
1. it's inconvenient.
2. Once the account expires, the householder can no longer get into the house - and it sounds like pretty soon once the account expires, nobody can get in the house, if we understand the coming changes correctly, so there goes a part-time house for part-time play on other shards.
3. Most players do want to support the game and pay full prices for the accounts they regularly use, and as Atlantic Realtor says, these 90-day accounts are just extra money for BS that we would not pay for if the policy were to change.
So there are at least three things that disprove your thesis that "nothing currently stops EVERYONE in the game from doing the same thing."
Extra money for EA, not BS. An important distinction.

Also from what I've read only the account holder cannot enter the house as their account will not enter EJ mode as long as a house is standing but co-owners will have full access.

If this is the case then the situation changes not one jot or tittle from how it is now.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Extra money for EA, not BS. An important distinction.

Also from what I've read only the account holder cannot enter the house as their account will not enter EJ mode as long as a house is standing but co-owners will have full access.

If this is the case then the situation changes not one jot or tittle from how it is now.
That's a very important point whether co-owners can still access the house, and I'm glad to hear it might not be changing - I guess we will find out for sure when EJ takes effect and that probably won't be until spring, so we can be pretty sure at least nothing changes until then?